PDA

View Full Version : STPM = the hardest exam, globally?

infested_ysy
29-06-2004, 03:48 PM
I have been hearing phrases which comments STPM as one of the hardest exam as of now.

Just wondering, how true is this? From where do you all draw your conclusions?

kelvinlym
29-06-2004, 05:40 PM
I heard it too. Seems like it stands only behind Japan's state exam.

I can't prove the methodology in coming out with this conclusion though.

Maybe it's just an urban myth.

chenchow
29-06-2004, 07:08 PM
Frankly, I don't think so.

I am not trying to belittle STPM, but seriously I don't think STPM is very top in terms of toughness. The syllabus has been diluted, if you happen to look at past year questions. Students some years back, need to take 5 courses, instead of 4, and they don't have such wide access of tuition teachers, or any technology to find out easily information about stuff that they don't understand.

I would say that STPM is one of the recognized pre-U. For instance when you apply to universities in US, they just put STPM as equivalent to IB, GCE A Level etc...

Even if you compare to A Level in Hong Kong, where only a few students in the entire Hong Kong get straight As, do you think our STPM is tougher to score well?

The_Observer
29-06-2004, 07:21 PM
Korean Uni entrance exams are bad enough as well.

But, I respect STPM high-flyers :wink:

naturesimple
30-06-2004, 07:26 AM
Even if you compare to A Level in Hong Kong, where only a few students in the entire Hong Kong get straight As, do you think our STPM is tougher to score well?

maybe our students here cleverer leh????

Randomphantom
30-06-2004, 09:48 AM
I believe its after years and years of tackling STPM,
better revision books
better teachers(who know how to beat the system rather then teach)
better resources(internet, past year papers)
lower standards??

which is why grades are inflated.

I think its tough in the sense that you have a LOT to memorise and regurgitate. And there's no study smart way, just constant cramming.

The_Observer
01-07-2004, 12:42 PM
Tell you what, coming year's STPM result sure low low one. Guarantee you 100% plus two year warranty.

I am sure you guys know why....

gohweihan
01-07-2004, 09:28 PM
Well, why don't you people take STPM, and judge for yourself whether it is as hard as it is claimed to be? :D

chenchow
01-07-2004, 09:56 PM
Tell you what, coming year's STPM result sure low low one. Guarantee you 100% plus two year warranty.

I dare to say that the number of straight As would definitely not drop, but increase. In the history of STPM/SPM results, there hasn't been a year, without any increase of straight As.

pandaboy
01-07-2004, 10:06 PM

I dare to say that the number of straight As would definitely not drop, but increase. In the history of STPM/SPM results, there hasn't been a year, without any increase of straight As.

Yeah..the number of straight A's students kept increasing...but the places for students to study medicine in local u increase by very little or didnt increase at all. So, I think with the increase of number of straight A's students, the government will face problems again. Alreayd happened this year.

masterof_none
02-07-2004, 04:25 AM
I have been hearing phrases which comments STPM as one of the hardest exam as of now.

I would ask some further question:

harder, compare to what?. compare to A-Level or compare to some PhD program, or UPSR?
it's the same if we want to ask : is 1 cm longer?

longer compare to ?. if its compared to 1 nanometer, then it's long.
if it's compare to mile, then its not. if it compared to kilogram, than, it's nonsense.

Harder or not is quite a relative question. I think if it compare to SAT,(scholastic aptitutede test/scholastic assesment test/silly american test, or whatever that's related to american college entrance test), then i don't want to say it's hard. You can get 3A in A-level (somewhat equivalent to STPM, but not quite) and still can get poor result in SAT (me). It's a relative question.

So, my conclusion is, if you think it's hard, then STPM is hard...
if not, then, voila!. you can get 5A. Easy as Dell.

SHuLy
02-07-2004, 06:29 AM
from chenchow's last msg, i feel inclined to ask,

would anyone of you would like to "speculate" or comment on why is it that the number of passes, and often scorers increase yearly in every major examination by the Malaysian education ministry (this excludes A-levels, SAM...etc. It's exams like UPSR, PMR, SPM and STPM) ?

infested_ysy
02-07-2004, 12:36 PM
from chenchow's last msg, i feel inclined to ask,

would anyone of you would like to "speculate" or comment on why is it that the number of passes, and often scorers increase yearly in every major examination by the Malaysian education ministry (this excludes A-levels, SAM...etc. It's exams like UPSR, PMR, SPM and STPM) ?

That's simple, the ministry of education tries to impress the world by trying, using any way possible, to increase the number of students who got themselves an A. But unfortunately, they don't have enough brains to realise that the people might suspect "somthing" wrong going on.

The_Observer
02-07-2004, 12:38 PM
I guess with the big 'hoo-ha' that happen this year in particular compared to the ones before, I think that our dear MOE most likely will instruct their examiners to be extra tight with their marks.

I am not belittling our student's performances just that I am speculating that the MOE will introduce measures to protect it's paper pushers. There will be a large number of high-flyers but not as many that it will be an overflow.

Tiong
02-07-2004, 01:05 PM
The exam is tough. But the score for getting an A is constantly pulled down to make it level with matriculation. The toughness lies in the sheer size of the syllabus, but it's not that hard to prepare for.

gohweihan
02-07-2004, 08:49 PM
But the score for getting an A is constantly pulled down to make it level with matriculation.

If the score is constantly pulled down to level it with matriculation, then how do you explain the sheer percentage of matriculation students with a CGPA of 4.00 compared to STPM students?

The whole idea of comparing matriculation and STPM is pure nonsense.

Steppe
03-07-2004, 12:13 PM
How come nobody feel that A levels is just as difficult?

The_Observer
03-07-2004, 08:55 PM
You can't compare A-levels to STPM...A-levels is way too truncated to have a straight fight with STPM...oops better don't say too much, I already caused too much 'hoo-ha' over this matter already...

STPM is up there in terms of sheer study intensity

masterof_none
03-07-2004, 11:51 PM
try compare the Economics in STPM and Economics in A-Level . Except they already change the format, I believe Economics in A-Level is harder. especially paper number 2 (the statistics part).
(isn't this a relative question?)

janewai
03-07-2004, 11:56 PM

I would ask some further question:

harder, compare to what?. compare to A-Level or compare to some PhD program, or UPSR?
it's the same if we want to ask : is 1 cm longer?

longer compare to ?. if its compared to 1 nanometer, then it's long.
if it's compare to mile, then its not. if it compared to kilogram, than, it's nonsense.

Harder or not is quite a relative question. I think if it compare to SAT,(scholastic aptitutede test/scholastic assesment test/silly american test, or whatever that's related to american college entrance test), then i don't want to say it's hard. You can get 3A in A-level (somewhat equivalent to STPM, but not quite) and still can get poor result in SAT (me). It's a relative question.

So, my conclusion is, if you think it's hard, then STPM is hard...
if not, then, voila!. you can get 5A. Easy as Dell.

Agree!!! I believe that every test/examination is hard!!! Is it really that hard?! all depends on how you think....
Nothing should be compared with.....

The_Observer
04-07-2004, 02:53 PM
I am still unconvinced especially after what happened to those 128 doctor-wannabes.....

Kevinlim
04-07-2004, 03:13 PM
Reading through this thread makes me have mixed feeling. STPM is one of the hardest exam in the world, heck that's true but the increase of the number of high achievers, that's the MOE's business but I think if the marking system is as the one in school, there won't be that many high achievers. STPM is really tough. You need to swallow everything in 2 years and then spit it out in a day. DO you all think that's easy?

Randomphantom
05-07-2004, 09:22 PM
So what if it isn't tough or very tough?
After this fiasco, MOE's next plan for STPM?
Make it even tougher to score an A.
And if the streak of perfect scores continues, it can only get tougher. Matriculation standards would be unable to keep up with it.
The meritocracy approach to university admissions will be debated, year in year out.
Sooner or later it'll be the toughest exam on earth...Malaysia Boleh!

Anyway A-level is more forgiving on its syllabus, and its kbkk style questions are relatively easier, common sense types. Still tough for those lacking in the english dept though.

naturesimple
06-07-2004, 11:40 AM
I am still unconvinced especially after what happened to those 128 doctor-wannabes.....

2 of my seniors who got straight As until now din get what they wan(medicine). 1 go for UM but in bio...dunno wat la. another 1 plan to study account..........y??? i also dunno

phantom
09-07-2004, 02:25 PM
dont just start with stpm,even spm is good enough for you to have 4.0 cgpa here in usa.even till now,i still remember my spm physics and used them in my uni exams.so do the add math and chem and bio.it is not becoz my uni exams are easy,it is just that,when you have strong basics,you have the much-needed aplomb.

if i am not mistaken,my adviser once said,taking stpm/a-level will allow you to enroll as a sophomore in usa or else a junior.in this sense,i look up at stpm.

a-level..err,almost all my friends got straight A's.

stpm20062007
28-05-2009, 09:56 PM
Frankly, I don't think so.

I am not trying to belittle STPM, but seriously I don't think STPM is very top in terms of toughness. The syllabus has been diluted, if you happen to look at past year questions. Students some years back, need to take 5 courses, instead of 4, and they don't have such wide access of tuition teachers, or any technology to find out easily information about stuff that they don't understand.

I would say that STPM is one of the recognized pre-U. For instance when you apply to universities in US, they just put STPM as equivalent to IB, GCE A Level etc...

are u getting good result in stpm ?
are u science stream of stpm ?
stpm is a world regconised exam and it's toughness is also recognised, u know ?
u know if u want to enter singapore university, stpm is considered equal to a-level, UEC, ...u know this ?

u just simply looking down stpm...i think...

youngyew
29-05-2009, 05:02 AM
Well I don't think Chen Chow tried to look down on STPM in any way. He's simply pointing out the truth that in terms of "dificulty in scoring straight As", STPM no longer holds the prestige of "the hardest-to-score" exam, judging from the fact that we have had a constantly increasing number of 4 flat candidates almost every year. Back in the 90s, there were only less than 100 5A students.

Trekk
29-05-2009, 09:17 AM
u know if u want to enter singapore university, stpm is considered equal to a-level, UEC, ...u know this ?

Gosh.. if you read chenchow's post properly, you'll see this was not his intention at all. Its true that STPM is a well recognized pre-u program. However, its is not the 2nd toughest exam in the world anymore. Just look at the entry requirements in a college prospectus and you will see what I mean.

markwongsk
29-05-2009, 06:23 PM

It drop for STPM 2008 btw. The number of straight Aces drop till half...

Anyway, I took STPM and I don't think STPM is the "hardest in the world exams". Sure, it may be taxing, but it's a bit too rigid. Getting straight As doesn't mean you're any step closer to being a genius, and being a step closer to a genius doesn't mean you'll do well in life.

nickvl
29-05-2009, 06:25 PM
It's still more in-depth than matrix and A-level. And it does give a better foundation making it easier to sope in uni later on (at least in first-year)

markwongsk
29-05-2009, 06:26 PM

Yes I got good result in STPM
Yes I was from Science stream of STPM
Yes, STPM is world recognized, but most top unis don't really give a damn about your results as long as it's in the top tier... 5As and 4As have not much difference.
Yes I know if we enter sg Uni we are equal with A-levels so what?
Chen Chow is not looking down on STPMers, and try not to create an account just so you can make an "annonymous post". I noticed this is your first post

uoykcuf
31-05-2009, 03:36 AM

i agree with chenchow and markwong. they are not looking down stpm, in fact they are just pointing out the truth.

there is a rumour saying that toughness of stpm is only lose to japan university entrance test. but i think stpm is not the hardest or the 2nd hardest in the world. just take a look at singapore A-lvl, our syllabus is not as deep and as many as them. for example, they learnt maclaurin/taylor series in their H2 math which is equivalent with stpm math t.

and i found that standard of stpm exam is getting lower and lower except for chemistry still maintain its regular standard and math t 2 which is extremely hard last year. if you have done your pass year in physics, you will find that physics is getting easier and easier from years to years. there is not many thinking question for physics. biology is getting to that trend also. PA we have those so called iq questions which are not really squeeze your brain, and the questions from kenegaraan which is repeated sometimes.

however, stpm still not an easy exam, one will fail it if he din study well and it is not a semester exam. but if compare to other country A-lvl, it is still not the hardest. i could say it is equivalent or slightly harder or easier.

Scrmath
31-05-2009, 12:44 PM
i agree with chenchow and markwong. they are not looking down stpm, in fact they are just pointing out the truth.

there is a rumour saying that toughness of stpm is only lose to japan university entrance test. but i think stpm is not the hardest or the 2nd hardest in the world. just take a look at singapore A-lvl, our syllabus is not as deep and as many as them. for example, they learnt maclaurin/taylor series in their H2 math which is equivalent with stpm math t.

To me,i personally think that stpm is the 2nd hardest during 90's..as for now,it evidently is not the 2nd hardest..although i am not a senior here,but i have practised through the math t p1 for past yr paper..fr abt 03 to 07,the question is really easy compared to those in 90's..in 90's question,the difficulty is really like half competition ady,but if u judge fr the recent yr of past yr,the questions are like similar pattern and it is almost revolving around every year,though the scope is bigger than spm..plus, during 90's,there is hardly any good books that help students and teachers are not so proficient too(this includes tuition tchers too)

Well,i m not saying that stpm is not hard and i only judge from the aspect of math t p1,and my conclusion is stpm's standard has been dropped and it is indeed the 2nd hardest during 90's only..

holeow
03-06-2009, 05:38 PM
hi guys,

personally what is easy in this world? free lunch as in? nothing is easy without putting effort into it. even kindergarden test can be hard if the person sitting for it as in ( the child ) didnt study. at the same time, a person who really study doesnt mean he's going to get good results. there's many aspect you need to consider. not only mere study. afterall, life is not just about studies and certificates. there is more waiting for us to embark. cheers.

regards,
Leow

Li Shan Shung
05-04-2010, 02:56 PM
I was depressed about the difficulty of stpm (after seeing a friend study for 10++hours a day) but after sitting for the exam, I changed my mind. I believe those who have taken stpm and really study for it, university degree is relatively less taxing and easier to cope. So maybe stpm is more like a stepping stone for universities studies.

lowxuan
05-04-2010, 07:29 PM
deleted*sry~

sofiazee
05-04-2010, 11:05 PM
I myself am (was) an STPM student, and personally, it is both difficult and easy at the same time.

Difficult, because like what Kevinlim said, you have to memorise the whole syllabus and spit it out in one go. To quote what my classmate once said, "STPM is like meals without veg. You get constipation, and at the end of the day everything comes out." Haha.
I've heard people saying that STPM-ers enjoy their first year in local uni and first 2 yrs in US lol.

Easy, because it requires not much of thinking or presentation, which I believe what other A-level-equivalent Pre-U's are more focused on.

So it's up to your preference and ability. I would like it more interactive and less academic-based though! Getting stuck in front of the desk (almost) 24/7 is horrible :S AND students will DEFINITELY gain more and become more all-rounded that way!

zanyzephyr
03-05-2010, 12:37 AM
honestly speaking, im currently taking stpm right now. It is hard, but what matters most is understanding. Look, plenty have said to me that a levels is much more easier as compared to stpm.

I took the a levels route, but sheesh it wasn't a great sight. I totally suffered in the 3 month's period(i was in march intake) and I joined stpm after the june break.

And now, I'm doing much better than I was back in A levels. I practically absorb everything my teachers teach ten times better than I did in A levels. So STPM is a widely-known "hardest exam". But hey, why am I doing better in STPM as compared to A levels? By the way I went to Taylor's for my CAL.

It's all about understanding and passion. I have to admit I practically whined everyday back in my college days and movies is like a must fortnightly.

Yet, when I've started form 6, I was focused enough to tell myself what I really want, and studying was a breeze.(excluding the fact that I still can't score an A for maths.)

So STPM do have a wide scope of knowledge, even more than what A levels has to give. I'm not really sure about IB so I wouldn't go that far. A levels drills their students with more practical-orientated questions whereas STPM focuses on the all-mighty ranged scope knowledge. It's quite obvious because I have been doing a levels and stpm chemistry questions for drills. STPM and A levels are actually quite similar in many ways, its just that A levels requires a lil bit more on your understanding and application.

STPM questions back in the 80s required plenty of application and understanding, but late questions had derived their focus on procedures and processes.

Hardest exam or not, it is really up to the person's view. I can bet with you, I am having a blast of my life in form 6 as compared to my ex-college mates back in Taylor's. As long as you have passion for a matter, you can shine well. As for me, chemistry has been my reason for sustaining my grades in STPM. I never had an A in taylors, but in STPM, I have managed to nab As for all the chemistry test, quizzes and exams I had in school.

So I practically lived in both worlds before. STPM may no longer be the hardest exam globally, but it do had its respect from all over the places because of the standards it had set. Maths T P1 may be easy, but bare with me, according to my teacher as a marker in MPM, an A in maths T requires at least 90 and above. I can barely get an 80 in my late exams, so do you think it easy to score an A? As for PA, the universities in overseas never had set their eyes on that subject other than the 3 cored ones. So practically, whether PA's had dropped or not, it is out of the question. I'm a biology student, hence physics has never been my concern. As for biology, persistence and passion, along with adequate amount of understanding is required to ace the subject.

I'm sitting for my STPM in 200++ days. The hardest exam or not, what matters is I have been through it, with no regrets. The important thing is you can survive in the society with an excellency in both qualification and interpersonal skills. Trust me, without a proper eloquence and EQ, a score sheet printed with 5As means nothing, be it STPM, A levels or IB.

lowxuan
03-05-2010, 12:46 AM
zanyzephyr, i totally agree ur last sentence......
without a proper eloquence and EQ, a score sheet printed with 5As means nothing, be it STPM, A levels or IB.

SOME PPL think that they are soooo goood in their ACAEDEMIC RESULT + CCA, and CLAIM that they noe EVERYTHING....and think that, w/o them in this world, it will be doomsday, then, they BRAG and BULLSHYT about themselves to everyone,everywher....honestly, i think this kind of ppl are soooo IMMATURE,CHILDISH AND ARROGANT.....

"嚣张没有落魄的久。。。“

(i'm soooo damm frustrated after finished reading one of the post in recom)

AllenChew
03-05-2010, 01:41 PM
may i ask what is IB?

BattleBoyz
03-05-2010, 01:44 PM
may i ask what is IB?

IB stands for International Baccalaureate. Its a type of pre-u program.

yanno_yamster
05-05-2010, 12:32 AM
IB stands for International Baccalaureate. Its a type of pre-u program.

It is said to be the hardest pre-u programme. Hmmm...

Nicholasng925
05-05-2010, 12:35 AM
It is said to be the hardest pre-u programme. Hmmm...

Yep, because it emphasizes both academic and co-curriculum, and wants to produce all-rounded students, unlike A-Levels which emphasizes more in academic. :)

manglish_lysia
05-05-2010, 12:54 AM
IB to me is much more interesting, though doing in Malaysia means breaking your parents' wallet a BIG hole.

For STPM, it is indeed tough. Though I haven't personally went through it, I witnessed my sis going through it. If you study constantly, have a good time management etc...yes, you might sail though it. But let's say always procrastinate, it is not easy. It wasn't like SPM at all, totally a different thing. ( My sis tried to explain to me chemistry stuff but I could not grab it at all, LOL)

As all will say, nothing is easy. You have to stuck yourself in 2-years syllabus into 1 1/2 year, will juggling other stuff. You can't retake the exam and risking all into one big HUGE exam. Maybe the tough part is that you can't re-take the exam. I know A-lvl can, if not mistaken for Edexcel. As for other programs, I believe they have a slightly better treatment when comes to exam.

patrick1994
11-09-2010, 07:37 AM
well, if saying hardest exam i personally think it will be IIT-JEE. http://www.iitjee.org/iit-question-papers/iit-jee-2005-main/iit-jee-2005-physics-main-1.html This is the past year paper taken from the website. If interested to participate in physic quiz and etc can practice it using the question.

yjteh1992
09-12-2011, 03:38 PM
I'm a past stpm student of 2011. Many Matriculation and A-levels student don't understand stpm are hard because they didn't go through with it. Most of the public schools that offer STPM actually didn't meet the criteria. The teacher are low standards and mostly unable to answer those student question. One point is STPM is getting easier this few years but still, they were hard. Because the exam has come out with many out of syllabus question and most of the question require you to think deeply unlike spm that can direct memorised from the books, Another points is STPM student need to participate in those co-coriculum activities in order to score marks.Although the teacher always helped us, the ministry still always try to lowered our KOKO marks by disagree with many activities we participate. The stpm also use a tactics that balanced the question levels. For example, the chem paper 1 2011 stpm were very hard but they balance it with a easier paper 2. ( not easy than normal, but a little easy than paper 2),and the bio paper 2 is also very hard, but the paper 1 they come out with a little normal questions. We also didn't get a lot of references book or materials because stpm is not worth to earn money
for those local publisher.

frostbyte13
09-12-2011, 09:42 PM
I'm a past stpm student of 2011. Many Matriculation and A-levels student don't understand stpm are hard because they didn't go through with it. Most of the public schools that offer STPM actually didn't meet the criteria. The teacher are low standards and mostly unable to answer those student question. One point is STPM is getting easier this few years but still, they were hard. Because the exam has come out with many out of syllabus question and most of the question require you to think deeply unlike spm that can direct memorised from the books, Another points is STPM student need to participate in those co-coriculum activities in order to score marks.Although the teacher always helped us, the ministry still always try to lowered our KOKO marks by disagree with many activities we participate. The stpm also use a tactics that balanced the question levels. For example, the chem paper 1 2011 stpm were very hard but they balance it with a easier paper 2. ( not easy than normal, but a little easy than paper 2),and the bio paper 2 is also very hard, but the paper 1 they come out with a little normal questions. We also didn't get a lot of references book or materials because stpm is not worth to earn money
for those local publisher.

Diverging a bit here. Then again, I hope you don't claim to say that A-level is like a walk in a bed of roses too. I have plenty of reasons to tell most of my juniors that A-level is not everyone's cup of tea either.

LaLaLaKenz
09-12-2011, 10:35 PM
I'm having my STPM now . Now i know why STPM is difficult . It may not be due to it's wide syllabus . Anybody who is hardworking can overcome this prob by preparing earlier , spend more time on each subject .
The reason why i find it is difficult is :

-You really have to regurtitate everything out in that 3 hours ( for some subjects ) ,
For some of my morning papers , didn't really do well because of still kinda sleepy eventhough I had a good sleep at the day before the exam (Hopefully still able to score A ). This seldom happens in my school exams .

I believe it would be easier if the STPM is to change into modular system .

Cactus
10-12-2011, 03:42 AM
I'm having my STPM now . Now i know why STPM is difficult . It may not be due to it's wide syllabus . Anybody who is hardworking can overcome this prob by preparing earlier , spend more time on each subject .
The reason why i find it is difficult is :

-You really have to regurtitate everything out in that 3 hours ( for some subjects ) ,
For some of my morning papers , didn't really do well because of still kinda sleepy eventhough I had a good sleep at the day before the exam (Hopefully still able to score A ). This seldom happens in my school exams .

I believe it would be easier if the STPM is to change into modular system .

I agree. Especially Biology.

Paullim
09-03-2012, 01:20 PM
Let's make a comparison of results from STPM, A levels, Matriculation. We could find STPM and CIE A levels results analysis easily, at least know the persentage of flat 4.0 candidate. I am not sure Matriculation results analysis is available publicly and transparantly.

I am not saying this method is rigorous enough for comparison to draw a conclusion which is the hardest in the world. We could compare according to syllabus intensity and coverage to make judgement for syllabus comparision. However there are other factors such as toughness of examimation, duration of course and in fact marking expectation. All those are not posibily analyse imperically.

We could only assumed other factors are ignored and compare the persentage of 4.0 student. STPM is the winner!! Hardest does not mean better!!

This year onward we are going to have new STPM format. What is going to happen with the readiness of schools offer STPM? Teacher readiness? What will be the recognition of overseas universities? This is a very important questions to answer for SPM student which is going to continue study at pre-U.

Please share your opinions,

weixiang
09-03-2012, 05:54 PM
The grass is always greener on the other side.

I'm sure nobody have ever done all three-STPM, Matric, A-Level. So we can't really fully understand the process of completing each of them. Most of the time, we gather our information from friends around us or through a few online searches.

Comparison must be done in totality. You can't simply extract a part for comparison and come into conclusion which one is better, which one is not.

For example, you can't say just because Matric adopts a semester system, then it's easier than STPM (although STPM will start to use the same system this year). Or just because the syllabus is simpler, then it is easier without taking into account the study duration.

Similarly, it's not fair to evaluate this in term of number of 4.0 students. We must understand that most of the Matric students (non-bumi) are SPM high-achievers. Please don't get me wrong, I do not in any way imply that STPM or A-Level students are of a lower intelligence. Luck plays a great role too, I agree.

It's just that what can we benefit from all this comparison? It's not gonna change anything. The destination is still the same, just that we're taking different route. =)

Paullim
09-03-2012, 08:16 PM
I agreed with not being able to compare in total. I hope the new STPM format could have much higher than less than 1% 4.0.

I am looking for opinion on the future overseas universities recognition for new STPM format. My son has to select either A levels or STPM this year. My understanding is NUS put priority on STPM higher than CIE A levels, it is just a personal perception. After the new STPM syllabus introduce, I am worry NUS priority will change. I don't think they will drop STPM recognition as the Matriculation, priority may change.

This is quite a difficult decision to make.

Sillyboy
09-03-2012, 09:12 PM
I agreed with not being able to compare in total. I hope the new STPM format could have much higher than less than 1% 4.0.

I am looking for opinion on the future overseas universities recognition for new STPM format. My son has to select either A levels or STPM this year. My understanding is NUS put priority on STPM higher than CIE A levels, it is just a personal perception. After the new STPM syllabus introduce, I am worry NUS priority will change. I don't think they will drop STPM recognition as the Matriculation, priority may change.

This is quite a difficult decision to make.

To be on the safe side, go for A levels. There are too many uncertainties involved in this revamp and I personally believe that we cannot be too sure whether the new format will still be able to allow STPM to retain its international recognition. I for one, am not too optimistic about this change but we will see.

mikeguo
21-03-2012, 08:26 PM
Personally i don't think the new format will affect STPM's recognition at least in the short run. Content-wise it is still pretty much the same. Universities around the world still accept A-levels when it adopted a modular system. Perhaps over time if it is observed that students get higher grades more easily then unis will ask for more.

CelineD
22-03-2012, 08:20 PM
Hmm, there are those that say STPM is the hardest and those who don't.

I believe many of those who agree say so not so much because it is the hardest or 2nd hardest or whatnot, but because they were STPM students that went through it/saw siblings went through it etc and found it that darn hard for them. So may terasa a bit when people say that STPM standard drop. If it drop, and they still find it hard, it *may* be teeny bit impressed that they must be not so smart like those ppl last time or that they are not as smart like those who take a lvls etc...(i.e their intelligence undermined). Maybe that's why some STPMers defend its hardness bermati-matian. Haha, just an opinion ok, it's not an absolute fact or something like that haha~

Also, when one says that something is insignificant, those who did well in it will terasa also. Tell a SPM top scorer that SPM is a useless and insignificant exam and watch his response. Personally (I'm using this as example, no bragging intended) when people say MUET is low standard and not important, just need to take/pass. well I understand that it's comforting to those who didn't do so well, but I tend to terasa because I kinda worked hard and got a band 6. You telling me my band 6 is worthless? That kinda feeling. (Realistically, it's nothing like TOEFL or IELTS though.)

Those who don't, well many compare it from long ago, but isn't SPM, PMR etc also like that? Gets easier each year to *help* people score easily? Malaysian exams lol. Still, I would agree with those who say that STPM is far from the hardest in the world.

Btw, to reply the statement that last time less than 100 ppl got 5As...this year only got 12 ler.~

PS: to those considering STPM, if you can do science, please do stay in Science. Harder at first look but very objective (it's either all right or all wrong there, thus actually easier to score provided you understand completely). Switch to arts, you have more subjective room, but beware of the questions unpredictability (even outside syllabus punya answer also got for certain subjects.) This year's 100% answer may only be 80% correct next year, depending on how rigid the scheme is. This was from experience though, so don't take my word as all solid fact~

deragoku
02-05-2012, 09:03 AM
This is the business of the Ministry of Education, but I think, if the marking system as a school, there will not be a lot of high achievers. STPM is very difficult. You need to swallow all of 2 years, and then spit a day.

Cactus
02-05-2012, 10:37 AM
haiya, even if it's the hardest and "you" scored well in it, but forget everything 1 month after the exam, also no use.

Summore, about the "difficulty" of MUET and TOEFL. I got Band 5 for MUET, but 116/120 for TOEFL iBT, how? TOEFL "harder" or MUET?

Exams are just exams la, when there's a way to test, there's a way to score.

jialing10
02-05-2012, 10:48 AM
Hi, I am new here. I was SPM leaver 2011 and planning to pursue STPM because I wish to study abroad for my degree(with scholarship because my family has financial constraint-so A-levels is out of the question). I am interested in economics and engineering too.

May I know which oversea universities are generous in offering full financial aids for international students? Or would it be better if I try to apply JPA 2014 PILN with my STPM? Really need your advice! Thank you in advance!

dolpin122
02-05-2012, 12:13 PM
in my opinion,
CIE Alevels require more application of what you learn...so knowing your textbooks only doesnot help to get an A*..you need to thoroughly understand.
but stpm, more knowledge to learn and memorise(if you need to)..not much application of knowledge...

frostbyte13
02-05-2012, 12:17 PM
Hi, I am new here. I was SPM leaver 2011 and planning to pursue STPM because I wish to study abroad for my degree(with scholarship because my family has financial constraint-so A-levels is out of the question). I am interested in economics and engineering too.

May I know which oversea universities are generous in offering full financial aids for international students? Or would it be better if I try to apply JPA 2014 PILN with my STPM? Really need your advice! Thank you in advance!

Replied you in Clonza's thread. Go check it out

in my opinion,
CIE Alevels require more application of what you learn...so knowing your textbooks only doesnot help to get an A*..you need to thoroughly understand.
but stpm, more knowledge to learn and memorise(if you need to)..not much application of knowledge...

Not really true, but I can't say for sure since it's my friends in STPM who are telling me too many out of syllabus questions and application questions they've never even heard of. This is definitely the case for A-level students under the CIE board, but the application questions don't go to an extreme to make up for a significant percentage of your final marks. It only adds to testing your understanding, and usually, it can be solved with a little general knowledge, logical deduction and applying theory.

AsherLim
09-04-2013, 07:14 PM
Hi, I'm a SPM(2012) leaver, just want to ask you guys, my seniors, who took the new STPM syllabus, about what it's like! Thanks very much in advance!