PDA

View Full Version : Form 6 or matrikulasi?

haoyu733
18-04-2010, 08:20 PM
hav some questions to ask.will i hav a chance to further my study oversea if i take matrikulasi?wat's the difference between form 6 n matrik?which 1 is tougher?overall,which 1 is better?

looking for help,thx in advance

edinz
18-04-2010, 08:30 PM
if u want to go oversea..stpm is better ..
but matric is easier than stpm ..n 1 yr instead of stpm 2 yrs...
i was a matric student n what i can tell you is being a matric student is really nice..
unforgettable memories ...
hehe

haoyu733
18-04-2010, 08:35 PM
so for u,if u r given a chance to choose again,matrik is still ur choice?

SapphireDragon
18-04-2010, 08:40 PM
so for u,if u r given a chance to choose again,matrik is still ur choice?

You wouldn't actually know what will happen when you take another path in life. What's important is making the best of what you have. When you have made a decision, never look back and keep moving forward.

I was a former matriculation student. Yup, I enjoyed it tremendously. But if I somehow chose stpm instead, I would make sure I still enjoyed it and achieve as much as I can.

LLCH
18-04-2010, 08:47 PM
Well, none is better than the other. It's all a matter of preference. I'm sure that someone else posted a thread on this before and if you need opinions feel free to search through those.

sengloon
18-04-2010, 10:52 PM
Well i was a form 6 study before..Nothing that i can tell you except pros and cons..Both have its advantages and disadvantages..If you are good..prove it in STPM :) and you have more options afterward ..

sofiazee
18-04-2010, 11:21 PM
From what I've heard, overseas institutions recognize STPM but not matriculation. I was a F6 student, and I can tell you that STPM is tough (3rd hardest exam in the world?) as its syllabus is very broad and very academic-based. There are more options for you after STPM, provided you're willing to work superbly hard! Oh but my F6 life was wonderful, definitely won't exchange it for anything :)

Where do you prefer to further your study? Think about it and it'll be easier for you to decide.

sengloon
18-04-2010, 11:42 PM
......STPM is tough (3rd hardest exam in the world?) ......
then what are the hardest test in the world rank 1st and 2nd ?? ACCA ? SOA ?:)

BattleBoyz
19-04-2010, 01:17 AM

I think she meant the hardest pre-u studies in the world. I think the top 2 is the one at china or somewhere around there. Not sure about it though. :P

Nicholasng925
19-04-2010, 01:27 AM

What you meant by ACCA and SOA???

markwongsk
19-04-2010, 03:55 AM
I doubt the credibility of STPM being the 3rd hardest in the world. However, it is undeniably one of the harder ones. In short, STPM for options, Matrics for security and speed

saylee
19-04-2010, 05:05 AM
if take stpm still got choice, if take matriks only go government uni. however, you must take note on the subjects you take in stpm. my friend who take stpm, and wanted to go oversea to study medic, said he got no more chance because oversea need the student to take chem, bio, phys.

If you have $, why don't do a-level, since you already decide to go oversea?

haoyu733
19-04-2010, 08:55 AM
If you have $, why don't do a-level, since you already decide to go oversea?

A lvl is nt recognize by local U rite?

kaiyi
19-04-2010, 10:21 AM
A lvl is nt recognize by local U rite?

i know UM do accept A-lvl applicants, other uni i m not sure

LLCH
19-04-2010, 10:26 AM
You can always take up all three science subject on your own if overseas require them.

smy
19-04-2010, 10:31 AM
USM accepts Alevels too because of the apex status.

Jhui
19-04-2010, 01:03 PM
matrik is better than stpm..i think..easier, faster..

haoyu733
19-04-2010, 02:22 PM
juz wonder wat is ur choice if u r given a chance to study A lvl,stpm n matrik.which 1 will u choose n why.

markwongsk
19-04-2010, 04:08 PM
juz wonder wat is ur choice if u r given a chance to study A lvl,stpm n matrik.which 1 will u choose n why.

I'm ex-STPM students.

Maybe A-levels, coz it's easier to get better recommendations, and I get more exposure.

Notice the word I here. Since I come from a small town, A-levels would have exposed me to a bigger world =)

But I'm not complaining, STPM has brought me this far, and I've never regret it. I've my set of stories to tell ^^

nittu
19-04-2010, 04:36 PM
I'll choose stpm (as im ex-stpm student..)In my opinion stpm life teach you to become more hardworking and discipline as well.. And of course to have a good time management also as you you need to memories so many things just in 1 and half year and shoot out everything at the end of the year..Well im just sharing my opinion as that is what i experienced in stpm..

Miracle_seed
19-04-2010, 06:43 PM
juz wonder wat is ur choice if u r given a chance to study A lvl,stpm n matrik.which 1 will u choose n why.If I intend to go overseas only, A Level is the better choice.
If I just want IPTA only, then matriculation is the easier path.
If I would satisfied with IPTA, but still hoping to go overseas, then STPM appears to be the better option.

edinz
20-04-2010, 11:26 AM
If I intend to go overseas only, A Level is the better choice.
If I just want IPTA only, then matriculation is the easier path.
If I would satisfied with IPTA, but still hoping to go overseas, then STPM appears to be the better option.

agreed ..........

sengloon
21-04-2010, 03:28 PM
What you meant by ACCA and SOA???
ACCA is a series of prof. examinations for accountants to reach highest stage of recognisation.. whereas SOA is for Actuaries in actuarial science..In fact there are more similar tests other than this 2..

STPM!! I rejected matric and I had no $ to do Alevel..
More exposure and options afterward0, can build up strength slowly for those in between the genius and noob like me:))..just work hard and you will success in everywhere..

Nicholasng925
21-04-2010, 04:49 PM

ACCA is a series of prof. examinations for accountants to reach highest stage of recognisation.. whereas SOA is for Actuaries in actuarial science..In fact there are more similar tests other than this 2..

Good that you know both of these are not TEST. :)

sugan
21-04-2010, 07:18 PM
if cost is a factor, matrik or stpm will be a better option.

if you wish to futher you studies abroad, stpm prove more hope than matric.

if you wish to enter university faster, matrics( 1year) is faster program than stpm( about 1.5 years)

if you prefer semester system go ahead for matrics, if you prefer exam based system
go for stpm ( the form6 system is know shift toward semester system too.)

if you even prefer the proximity with home, go for stpm. if you just want to get out of our house or be more independet ,go for matrics.

there many if-s here.

by the way, i am stpm student. so, i hope i'm not being bias.
________
WHITE WIDOW SEEDS (http://marijuanaseeds.org/)

sengloon
21-04-2010, 11:00 PM
Good that you know both of these are not TEST. :)
I was wondering when SOFIAZEE telling us that it is 3rd hardest test in the world..Thank for correcting :) ..STPM's Science should be the hardest in the world, my teachers said that we have even done what they are teaching in Australian Uni year 1..but our maths is not up to that level..

Nicholasng925
21-04-2010, 11:11 PM
I was wondering when SOFIAZEE telling us that it is 3rd hardest test in the world..Thank for correcting :) ..STPM's Science should be the hardest in the world, my teachers said that we have even done what they are teaching in Australian Uni year 1..but our maths is not up to that level..

Yep, i do agree that SPM Maths is totally peanut, and it was just at the PMR level. Even for the Additional Maths, its easy too, if you do lots of exercises. :)

BattleBoyz
22-04-2010, 12:31 AM

If its the hardest, then those that got four or five flats are geniuses?? Its might be the hardest one in Malaysia but it is definitely not the hardest in the world. When people say matriks are easy, take note that it is only easier when compared to other pre-u such as stpm. You will not score if you don't work hard and think its easy.

SapphireDragon
22-04-2010, 12:53 AM
If its the hardest, then those that got four or five flats are geniuses?? Its might be the hardest one in Malaysia but it is definitely not the hardest in the world. When people say matriks are easy, take note that it is only easier when compared to other pre-u such as stpm. You will not score if you don't work hard and think its easy.

Yup, everyone assumes matrik is easy but slack off and you'll pay a heavy price. You need to constantly be on yur feet as there are numerous quizzes. The exams are tough too, especially maths, at least that;s true for my batch. But on the whole, I think it is the low graph that is the major factor why matrik can produce so many 4flat students

Newspaper
23-04-2010, 02:24 PM
anyone know how to check which school u get to go fr 6?

BattleBoyz
23-04-2010, 02:32 PM
anyone know how to check which school u get to go fr 6?

Check out this thread (http://www.recom.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10499) for more infos.

Jennifer_92
24-04-2010, 03:34 PM
If my school got form 6 but i want to transfer to another school, is it that i need to go back to my school on 10th May to apply to transfer and 11th May i go to the new school or apply the school i want to go b4 10th May?

BattleBoyz
24-04-2010, 05:46 PM
If my school got form 6 but i want to transfer to another school, is it that i need to go back to my school on 10th May to apply to transfer and 11th May i go to the new school or apply the school i want to go b4 10th May?

I think you will need to register at the original school first and then apply to transfer to another school of your choice later.

Jennifer_92
25-04-2010, 03:03 PM
I think you will need to register at the original school first and then apply to transfer to another school of your choice later.
Thanks. So u got matrix?

Nicholasng925
25-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Thanks. So u got matrix?

Yep, BB got Selangor Matriculation College. :)

Jennifer_92
25-04-2010, 04:17 PM
Yep, BB got Selangor Matriculation College. :)
Oh, i c. I visited ur blog, seems that u plan to study A-level, so did u get matrix?

Nicholasng925
25-04-2010, 04:20 PM
Oh, i c. I visited ur blog, seems that u plan to study A-level, so did u get matrix?

Nope, i didn't get selected for the Matriculation program. :)

Jennifer_92
25-04-2010, 04:25 PM
Nope, i didn't get selected for the Matriculation program. :)
Me too, so now i'm waiting for second appeal,see whether can get it or not :)

Nicholasng925
25-04-2010, 04:28 PM
Me too, so now i'm waiting for second appeal,see whether can get it or not :)

Oh i see. Good luck then! :)

Jennifer_92
26-04-2010, 03:34 PM
Is different school offer different subjects for form 6? and what r the other courses that are related to physics besides computer engineering and all the other engineering courses?

BattleBoyz
26-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Is different school offer different subjects for form 6? and what r the other courses that are related to physics besides computer engineering and all the other engineering courses?

The subjects are the same for all form 6 schools but different schools may offer different combinations of subjects.

Pure science (physics/chemistry/maths), architecture, quantity surveyor etc etc but if you choose physics, then most probably it means you are interested in engineering courses.

sugan
26-04-2010, 08:52 PM
usual combination is science stream, (PA, chemistry, MATH T, physics / bio)
________
Vaporizing Herbal Blends (http://vaporshop.com/)

Jennifer_92
28-04-2010, 02:50 PM
So what r the other courses that r related to biology besides pharmacy,doctor and food and nutrition?

BattleBoyz
28-04-2010, 03:06 PM
So what r the other courses that r related to biology besides pharmacy,doctor and food and nutrition?

Biomedical science, biotech, environmental science, vet. science, zoology, taxonomy, pure science (biology) etc etc etc.

AllenChew
29-04-2010, 11:48 AM
can i use matriculation results to apply jpa to go for overseas since there are some foreign universities that do accept matric student?

LaLaLaKenz
29-04-2010, 12:08 PM
AllenChew , have a look at this .....

AllenChew
29-04-2010, 12:24 PM
LaLaLaKenz..thx..i knew those foreign uni..but i m asking cn i use matric result to apply jpa to go to those foreign uni?

kun_JK92
30-04-2010, 09:53 AM
erm...i just wanna confirm something, do private uni in malaysia recognise matriculation?e.g: after matric, then take degree programme in private uni

smy
30-04-2010, 12:02 PM
private unis do accept matrix students if u really look at the academic requirements .eg,matrix students have to ontain cgpa of 3.5 to go for med in private unis

Jennifer_92
30-04-2010, 03:02 PM
Hi, i'm kinda thinking which stream should i choose after SPM.

Last year, my friends and i went to a lecture about 'flight attendant' cos i'm kinda interested in it. The people there said that we can study about the course after SPM, so no need to study form 6 (as they said, it is hard). So at that time i was thinking maybe i can study the course after SPM. But my mother's friend said that it will be better if i graduate from university first then study the course (at least got certificate mah :))). So i decided to study form 6 (or matric lor) However, i'm thinking which stream should i choose.

Among these three streams: Physics, Biology and Art, i would choose Physics. But most physics courses are about engineering, and i don't know which physics courses should i choose if i enter university. (It is better to have a course set in my mind now right??)

FYI, I like a job which is related to airport (cos i like to work in airport, pls don't feel weird :)) So i'm wondering is there any physics courses which is related to airport and aeroplane, besides pilot... (i don't think so) (If u do know, please tell me...:))

So i'm here asking maybe some of u can give me some suggestions? :) If there is no physics courses which is related to airport and aeroplane, what should i choose then? (i also don't know)

BTW, what courses are related to Art Stream besides lawyer ( need to study Sejarah)?

And is it true that MMU is half private and half government? We need to pay back to the government after we apply for loan? And what are the courses offered in MMU?

THANKS A LOT IF U CAN GIVE ME SOME SUGGESTIONS AND ANSWER SOME OF MY QUESTIONS :) (REALLY APPRECIATE IT...)

Nicholasng925
30-04-2010, 03:21 PM
Among these three streams: Physics, Biology and Art, i would choose Physics. But most physics courses are about engineering, and i don't know which physics courses should i choose if i enter university. (It is better to have a course set in my mind now right??)

With physics, you can choose a lot of courses and not necessarily physics related. You can even take medicine course for your degree with Physics in STPM instead of Biology. Physics has a wider prospect as compared to Biology, which means more choices for you to make. You can decide on your course now, but it would not be too late if you decide it later. Please do adequate research on your preferred course first, before you decided to study it. :)

BTW, what courses are related to Art Stream besides lawyer ( need to study Sejarah)?

Economics, Accounting, Finance, Mathematics, Actuarial Science, Business, Statistics, Risk Management, Insurance, etc. :)

BattleBoyz
30-04-2010, 03:55 PM
FYI, I like a job which is related to airport (cos i like to work in airport, pls don't feel weird :)) So i'm wondering is there any physics courses which is related to airport and aeroplane, besides pilot... (i don't think so) (If u do know, please tell me...:))

And is it true that MMU is half private and half government? We need to pay back to the government after we apply for loan? And what are the courses offered in MMU?

Jobs related to both airport and physics are aeronautical engineering, aircraft maintenance engineering, etc etc. Yes, it will be better if you know the course you want to study earlier so that you can plan your future better.

Of course we need to pay back the loan, e.g. PTPTN. It will be otherwise if its a scholarship. There are many courses offered by MMU. Visit their website (http://www.mmu.edu.my/index.php?req=5) for more infos.

Economics, Accounting, Finance, Mathematics, Actuarial Science, Business, Statistics, Risk Management, Insurance, etc. :)

Naa, I don't think mathematics will need history. Its under science.

Nicholasng925
30-04-2010, 04:05 PM
Naa, I don't think mathematics will need history. Its under science.

Well, I don't think she was referring to History subject though. Oh, and Maths is considered as neutral, not Science nor Arts.

BattleBoyz
30-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Well, I don't think she was referring to History subject though. Oh, and Maths is considered as neutral, not Science nor Arts.

She stated need to study History? There are universities offering Bachelor of Science (Mathematics). So for those universities, maths are considered under science.

Nicholasng925
30-04-2010, 04:17 PM
She stated need to study History? There are universities offering Bachelor of Science (Mathematics). So for those universities, maths are considered under science.

She just asked whether it is a necessary to take History. Oh, and to let you know, lots of universities in US and UK name the undergraduate course for Mathematics as Bachelor of Arts (Mathematics) too. So, it can be considered as neutral, either Science or Arts. :)

AllenChew
01-05-2010, 01:50 PM
sejarah is compulosry in pre-u studies if u wan to study law in degree?

kun_JK92
01-05-2010, 01:54 PM
sejarah is compulosry in pre-u studies if u wan to study law in degree?

nope..for law,there is no specific pre-u studies needed unless u are refering to law in A-lvl..but that is not a must too.

nittu
02-05-2010, 11:10 AM

So i'm here asking maybe some of u can give me some suggestions? :) If there is no physics courses which is related to airport and aeroplane, what should i choose then? (i also don't know

Hi.. Since you like to work in airport or job related to airport, why not you try to the air traffic controller course.. I read about that course in newspaper last time.. Its about controlling the air traffic and give advice to the pilot about the climate, landing and etc.. ATC play more important role actually other than the pilot in safety of the passenger during the travel but its quite dangerous and you need to be someone who really patient and carefull in giving information to the pilot.. Many air crash occured due to the misunderstanding between ATC and the pilot.. The salary also quite high.. May be you can do more research in that if you are interested..:)

Jennifer_92
02-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Hi.. Since you like to work in airport or job related to airport, why not you try to the air traffic controller course.. I read about that course in newspaper last time.. Its about controlling the air traffic and give advice to the pilot about the climate, landing and etc.. ATC play more important role actually other than the pilot in safety of the passenger during the travel but its quite dangerous and you need to be someone who really patient and carefull in giving information to the pilot.. Many air crash occured due to the misunderstanding between ATC and the pilot.. The salary also quite high.. May be you can do more research in that if you are interested..:)
Hi, nittu, thanks :). So air traffic controller course require physics knowledge? It seems like a difficult job and it's sounds like a job which is suitable for a person who is smart. And got female who do that job?

nittu
02-05-2010, 03:01 PM
Hi, nittu, thanks :). So air traffic controller course require physics knowledge? It seems like a difficult job and it's sounds like a job which is suitable for a person who is smart. And got female who do that job?
Yes.. Of course there are female working as ATC.. I read about it in star newspaper last time.. Im not sure whether the course require physics knowledge or not but if im not mistaken in the newspaper it stated that anyone can apply for that course no matter what degree you hold.. They will train you about the job..:)

Jennifer_92
02-05-2010, 03:09 PM
So, nittu, u got matrik or u want to study form 6?

nittu
02-05-2010, 03:11 PM
haha.. actually i just finished my form 6.. waiting for IPTA result..:wink:

Jennifer_92
02-05-2010, 03:16 PM
haha.. actually i just finished my form 6.. waiting for IPTA result..:wink:
Oh i c :) So what is the course u chose

nittu
02-05-2010, 03:23 PM
Pharmacy as my main choice and other health science related courses.. So did you get matrics?

Jennifer_92
03-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Pharmacy as my main choice and other health science related courses.. So did you get matrics?
nope, now wait for second appeal, see can get it or not :).

BuR-OMIsE
09-05-2010, 02:57 AM
hi guys,. need ur oppinion here,. bout taking STPM~ why is it people keep highlighting about STPM being a tough pre-u? if compared to matriculations, yeah, im agreed,. but they make it as it sounds almost impossible to ace?

i dunno what's really the matter if i choose to take form 6 instead of matrics?? coz i'm hoping for overseas,. perhaps they take it lightly bout my desire of going abroad or they assume i'm not aware of the risk,. there's no turning back and i'd never regret on my decision but, help me here, i need some encouraging words,.:cry

thanks for replying!!

lpsoldier007
09-05-2010, 03:22 AM
LaLaLaKenz..thx..i knew those foreign uni..but i m asking cn i use matric result to apply jpa to go to those foreign uni?

u can go to foreign uni but im not sure if u can apply for jpa.

http://www.moe.gov.my/bmkpm/index.php/sektorunit/38-udhl/113-senarai-universiti-luar-negara

i have friends that went to uk after finished their matric. but after finish they have bond with the kementerian to work as matriculation lecturers.

MarknJun
09-05-2010, 04:42 AM
Matriculation is not recognised by any country xcept msia, (correct me if i'm wrong).
But u can go far with STPM, but not without ielts or toefl too la.

Hmm, but if u wanna secure a place in local uni n good courses, go for matriculation.
My fren told me matriculation is so simple, repeating f5 stuff n some new stuff only.
And their actual exam questions are almost alike with their trials one.
She even blank one subkective ques stil an A.
My friend did matriculation and now she's a pharmacy student.

To all matriculation student, i'm not belittle on matriculation a.. sincere. i jz tel wat i know.

hi guys,. need ur oppinion here,. bout taking STPM~ why is it people keep highlighting about STPM being a tough pre-u? if compared to matriculations, yeah, im agreed,. but they make it as it sounds almost impossible to ace?

i dunno what's really the matter if i choose to take form 6 instead of matrics?? coz i'm hoping for overseas,. perhaps they take it lightly bout my desire of going abroad or they assume i'm not aware of the risk,. there's no turning back and i'd never regret on my decision but, help me here, i need some encouraging words,.:cry

thanks for replying!!

If u wanna go for overseas, do STPM.
Ya of cz there r risk to go overseas, but u wouldnt feel okay for the rest of ur life, if u r too aware of the obstacles u gonna face n u end up giving up. Go for it if u really want to. don make urself regret.

But find a more safe country a, if financial is okay.

sofiazee
09-05-2010, 07:32 PM

thanks for replying!!

Woot, STPM is tough if you don't keep a continuous effort! STPM has more choices compared to matriculation, as STPM is better recognised. Don't be ashamed of your desire to go abroad; that's what many of us want too ;) Just keep a goal in your mind and work towards it, then everything that you want will come to you.

Good luck!

vynaln
13-05-2010, 02:49 AM
its all depend on wat u want n hw u want it
many may say matric is easy..bt ...even in matric u ll need constant prep..
life there is nt easy...nt like stpm...studying in the comfort of home..:)
it ll take time to suit in..bt once u do..then it ll be great
if overseas is ur choice..
then stpm is the best choice..:)

cycycy
15-05-2010, 09:03 PM
hav some questions to ask.will i hav a chance to further my study oversea if i take matrikulasi?wat's the difference between form 6 n matrik?which 1 is tougher?overall,which 1 is better?

looking for help,thx in advance

depending where you wanna go after pre U.
if local U, matriks is a fast and easy route.
if overseas/ renowned Us, STPM is highly regarded.

and STPM is harder, STPM students can cope better in Uni, cos they have covered wider scope in form 6.

DualPersonality
16-05-2010, 01:03 AM
I would ask myself why do i need to go overseas?

If the answer is that you do need to for some certain reason, or are brainwashed to think that way, then STPM would be your choice among the two.

If the answer is that it doesn't matter or that you don't need to then why waste time and opportunity by taking STPM. Matriculation is easier to score among the two.

Sometimes we just need to put aside our pride and take the best choice available to us. The stakes are high in this gamble for STPM takers. It is very hard, and impossible for many, to get a pointer as good as matriculation students can.

and STPM is harder, STPM students can cope better in Uni, cos they have covered wider scope in form 6.

The scope is the same. Even the reference is the same due to Malaysian standards. The difference is how much effort the students puts in in either course or how matriculation lecturers make it seem like theres nothing to it.

From another perspective, why cant i say matric students can cope better in uni because they have experienced self-dependency in their studies?

SoooNegative
16-05-2010, 01:44 AM
I feel that going overseas is kinda like a dream... Because of where we're from, theres no guarantee that we wont be mistreated. Lets not forget that although we are from an almost peaceful country, we could be judged as terrorists in another country, especially those countries many wish to go to further their studies. Its a sad fact, but confirmed by many a student studying abroad.

thanks for replying!!

It is comparatively a harder exam to score. Actual statistics from schools have not been pleasing either, you could ask the school to show you the real statistics. The reports on numbers of As in newspapers only emphasize in the good side of things for the publicity of the schools. In comparison to the number of grades C,D,E and F; the As would seem pathetic. Thats the truth.

There is another sad truth about how Malaysians are treated in countries facing the problem of terrorism. This I wont go into detail. The details aren't pretty.

For encouragement, this is a choice made by a person and what he sees in himself. If he can assure there will be no regret later on then he is on the right path, the path that satisfies the heart and soul. What greater wealth is there but the contentment of the soul in acknowledgement of his own decisions? Trust is an important psychological factor. Trust yourself and there will be no regrets no matter what the outcome, for the body has done it's best.:)

The_Unfabulous
16-05-2010, 01:47 AM
The scope is the same. Even the reference is the same due to Malaysian standards. The difference is how much effort the students puts in in either course or how matriculation lecturers make it seem like theres nothing to it.

the scope is TOTALLY different.i have completed STPM and personally had a look at matriculation students' learning module.they learn only a fraction of what STPM students do.honestly to say,what matriculation students learn is just the basic concepts while STPM students learn in-depth.if you do not believe me,just have a look at the STPM physics reference books and quiz your matriculation students on some of the topics.

SoooNegative
16-05-2010, 02:03 AM
the scope is TOTALLY different.i have completed STPM and personally had a look at matriculation students' learning module.they learn only a fraction of what STPM students do.honestly to say,what matriculation students learn is just the basic concepts while STPM students learn in-depth.if you do not believe me,just have a look at the STPM physics reference books and quiz your matriculation students on some of the topics.

Are you comparing module or syllabus? Module is a guideline from the ministry to control what is coming out in the exam. Reference books by local publishers are created based on the exam modules. As we know Malaysia or any other country in the world have their assessment almost exam-orientated, and lecturers are also exam-orientated in their lessons. Having said that, do you still think that the syllabus is lacking or Matrics students have it easier due to it's original purpose in Malaysian politics, to grant "Some" people an easier future?

Glassylicious
16-05-2010, 02:09 AM
Are you comparing module or syllabus? Module is a guideline from the ministry to control what is coming out in the exam. Reference books by local publishers are created based on the exam modules. As we know Malaysia or any other country in the world have their assessment almost exam-orientated, and lecturers are also exam-orientated in their lessons. Having said that, do you still think that the syllabus is lacking or Matrics students have it easier due to it's original purpose in Malaysian politics, to grant "Some" people an easier future?

I think you might have missed the point a bit. Despite the misleading terminology that he used, The_Unfabulous was clearly talking about the depth of the matriculation syllabus, and not really about the module system.

SoooNegative
16-05-2010, 02:17 AM
I think you might have missed the point a bit. Despite the misleading terminology that he used, The_Unfabulous was clearly talking about the depth of the matriculation syllabus, and not really about the module system.

I see. I would admit that there are a lot of details omitted in the matriculation system to make it easier to pass. But a proper student, no matter from where, would ensure that he or she masters the topic fully. There are a number of matrics students using STPM references in their studies to not only pass the exam but also to actually gain knowledge. Knowledge doesn't choose, it simply is. The depth would only depend on the student.

Miracle_seed
16-05-2010, 02:54 AM
the scope is TOTALLY different.i have completed STPM and personally had a look at matriculation students' learning module.they learn only a fraction of what STPM students do.honestly to say,what matriculation students learn is just the basic concepts while STPM students learn in-depth.if you do not believe me,just have a look at the STPM physics reference books and quiz your matriculation students on some of the topics.Take a look at A-Level syllabus too and you will see which one is the odd one out. ;-)

lilynda
16-05-2010, 07:52 AM
i am currently in lower six and my teacher told me we are the last batch of the syllabus. 2012 onwards, there will be modules 4 stpm( after 1 sem, 1 exam). is it true? modules better?

SoooNegative
16-05-2010, 09:56 AM
i am currently in lower six and my teacher told me we are the last batch of the syllabus. 2012 onwards, there will be modules 4 stpm( after 1 sem, 1 exam). is it true? modules better?

It could divide the stress... But not doing well in any of the sems would mean no hope for a perfect grade... Nothing is all pro and no cons.:cry

nittu
16-05-2010, 10:19 AM
Oh is it.. Thats great.. Coming STPM students are lucky then.. Less stress for them compared to the syllabus batch..

SoooNegative
16-05-2010, 10:44 AM
Oh is it.. Thats great.. Coming STPM students are lucky then.. Less stress for them compared to the syllabus batch..

But then 1 mistake would mean... Bye bye overseas dream. Cumulative system can really kill a person.:cry

Nicholasng925
16-05-2010, 11:33 AM
But then 1 mistake would mean... Bye bye overseas dream. Cumulative system can really kill a person.:cry

Well, how about Edexcel A-Levels? It is a modular based exam and does it means that lots of students would slack on one or two papers, and not being able to attain perfect score? Yep, 1 mistake would actually lower down the pointer, but I don't think it would be really much, depending on the seriousness of the mistake. Only by getting 4 flat, you can get places in overseas universities?

SoooNegative
16-05-2010, 11:44 AM
Well, how about Edexcel A-Levels? It is a modular based exam and does it means that lots of students would slack on one or two papers, and not being able to attain perfect score? Yep, 1 mistake would actually lower down the pointer, but I don't think it would be really much, depending on the seriousness of the mistake. Only by getting 4 flat, you can get places in overseas universities?

Well... Its hard to compete with others being 0.33.... marks less then them. It would lower the chances significantly. And the ratio of STPM 4 flats to the others grades is very small... If every school had 1 4 flater, that would be a lot of 4 flaters to fill in what limited spaces available to them. Then it goes on. 3.9 so on.... If someone got all A- that would mean about CGPA 3.67. Its no problem for local unis but the chances of them being offered scholarships to go overseas would be less than the 4 flaters by very much. I'm not sure about A-levels... Less informed in that area.

SoooNegative
18-05-2010, 12:48 AM
Oh no. One of my friends got 3.94... How sad life is.