PDA

View Full Version : STPM and matriks?

Pages : [1] 2

15-03-2005, 11:54 PM
Why is it so unfair . Seeing the results , it actually implies that matriks is n times (n greater than 5?) easier than STPM. Still , it is claimed to be same standard? I feel cheated and frustrated.

wendy
16-03-2005, 01:36 PM
yeah not fair at all!!!!! i agree!!!
somemore this year the number of straight A's of STPM is droped by 50%. Form 6 students struggle so hard....n yet couldn't get what they want in the end! i'll be going into Form 6 this year (my last option) lets hope i won't DIE!

nwx86
16-03-2005, 02:40 PM
I'm sure you won't...:)

wendy
16-03-2005, 06:18 PM
thanks nwx86! i will work very hard for stpm! if i'm not wrong stpm is the second hardest exam in the world..the first one is from japan! Hence,if i can score in this exam it will definely boost my confidence in every expect of my life! i'll jz treat it like a challenge!

petertok
16-03-2005, 06:45 PM
why dunwan go matrik , wendy ?

16-03-2005, 11:38 PM
ermmmmmmm , i guess i will study till die.........
lets hope i get good reults .........
for those who get matriks
better go IF u CERTAINLY want go local university
for my case
i reject it coz i'm not too sure

tree007
17-03-2005, 10:19 AM
i tot we went over this eons ago~....

i remember perfectly there was a thread on this discussion somewhere....

n enuf of this comparing stuffs... geez.... it's like.. never ending.... i wun be suprised if this becomes an annual event.. oh wait.. it already is~....

wendy
17-03-2005, 02:36 PM
hey peter...!
i would seriously consider matrixs...(tat is if i manage to get it)
however it only recognised by the Malaysian gov. wat if i get stuck iin the middle? i got 10 A1 including GCE-O....however i got a B3 for my est!!!!! i'm not even one of the 4000 oveer students who get straight A's..tat is wat makes me feel most frustated! sobs sobs!
tat felling is horrible..........! thus, i dun think i will get matrixs! neway i would really appreciate it if petertok, u could giv me sum advise regarding matrixs n stpm! thanks in advance!

nwx86
17-03-2005, 02:44 PM
no one considering A'levels? its up to standard too and is recognised worldwide. or is it because everyone is considering of entering a local uni?

sno
17-03-2005, 02:46 PM
between A levels, STPM, matrics....etc.....i'd choose STPM........
coz Alevels(cannot go into IPTA), matrics(not recognised internationally).......but STPM(need to keep short hair) waaaaaaaa

petertok
17-03-2005, 03:02 PM
wendy , im also an spm-leaver this year. Unlike you , im not torn between matriks and stpm , bcos if i get matriks i would definitely go for it. The reason is that studying overseas has never been an option for me unless via a scholarships because my parents cant afford it.

seiken
18-03-2005, 10:37 AM
Actually, don't think so highly of STPM. According to one of the recomers, STPM is NOT the 2nd hardest exam in the world. Comparing STPM and A-levels, they are almost the same, but if I'm not mistaken of course STPM is a bit harder. But STPM examinations questions are quite straightforward, while A-levels questions need you to think a lot. For people with financial difficulties, it is best to choose STPM instead of A-levels. Matrix is not bad, though the standards are way too low. Not that Im insulting people who take Matrix, but there are those who got 1A for SPM obtained CGPA pf 4.0 in Matrix, but the MUET is between band3 to low band4. Got the idea? And if you want to go overseas, forget Matrix. Better take STPM or the A-levels..for me Im now in Upper Six..hoping to get a CGPA of 4.0, after the disappointment I had in SPM.

lolilo
18-03-2005, 12:41 PM
summary
plan to go overseas:stpm (cheap)
: a levels n others (expensive)

plan to study locally: matriculation

khor_albert
18-03-2005, 09:23 PM
Let's just face it. It's a money world though we don't want it to be that way. It will always be (for those who studied biology, it wil be like Segiempat Punnett) :

Rich and smart : Scholarship (i dun understand why on earth they WANT scholarships, they can even give out scholarships)

Rich but not smart : Private college or just lurking around ($$$ says it all)

Poor but smart : Scholarships (they REALLY deserved it, but still not all can get, aih...until some gotta go F6)

Poor and not smart : F6 or come out to work (that's the harsh truth, but they gotta accept it, aih....)

The harsh truth....but they have to accept it, we also...

As for matric and F6, choose F6 lar. Remember that we study for knowledge, not degree. Therefore, matriculations wil give us less knowledge, so why matrics?

Take your side...but choose the right one. Set your aim.

As for me, I m not a chicken....so I will choose F6!!

lolilo
18-03-2005, 10:08 PM
Let's just face it. It's a money world though we don't want it to be that way.

Rich but not smart : Private college or just lurking around ($$$ says it all)

Poor but smart : Scholarships (they REALLY deserved it, but still not all can get, aih...until some gotta go F6)

As for matric and F6, choose F6 lar. Remember that we study for knowledge, not degree. Therefore, matriculations wil give us less knowledge, so why matrics?

REALITY IS HARSH!
WHY MATRIC....because the grading system is lower and its easier to score 4.0 and thus easier to get a place in local u.

and once again
REALITY IS HARSH

18-03-2005, 11:32 PM
ok , for those who really wanna go into local u , better take matrix la
if u dont get it , remember to appeal , some of my frens get it after appealing.

sno
18-03-2005, 11:35 PM
REALITY IS HARSH!
WHY MATRIC....because the grading system is lower and its easier to score 4.0 and thus easier to get a place in local u.

and once again
REALITY IS HARSH

hey ever think of making REALITY IS HARSH ur signature?? :P

seiken
18-03-2005, 11:47 PM
Yeah...sad to say that this IS REALITY.
In the movies or series, you will always hear that "money is not everything".
To me, money is everything. Not that you use money to do evil, but since I failed to secure a scholarship [i got straight A1's for SPM] ..now doing form 6..and having financial difficulties...and thinking of the "hardness" to enter local u...Im beginning to think money is important...as I can study overseas...hahaha

petertok
18-03-2005, 11:53 PM
reality is harsh , i'd rather enter the university the easy way .... i'll choose matriks...thats if i get it.

gohweihan
19-03-2005, 03:16 AM
reality is harsh , i'd rather enter the university the easy way .... i'll choose matriks...thats if i get it.

To enter university the easy way, that's why go for matriculation? That is the stupidest reason (forgive the harsh remarks) I've heard. Only thinking of the short term and nothing else. Do you think matriculation students survive in universities? The fact is, if you cannot do Form Six, then university is hell for you if you go for those prime courses. Matriculation would put you into university, but it'll never get you through with it's low standards.

Take it from a person who is studying the hardest engineering course in Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, a product of STPM.

terry
19-03-2005, 08:45 AM
Just curious about the non-bumi situation.

Let say a matrikx non-bumi students with a score of 4.0 and a STPM non-bumi student with a score of 4.0.

If both want medical course, does the matrikx student get into medical?

Will the matrikx non-bumi student be discriminated against the many good scorers of STPM students for the same course? Does the non-bumi matrikx student get the course that he wants with that same score as an STPM non-bumi student ?

lolilo
19-03-2005, 02:12 PM

hey thats my signature :D

reality is harsh ( calvin and hobbes taught me) :D

petertok
19-03-2005, 02:49 PM

To enter university the easy way, that's why go for matriculation? That is the stupidest reason (forgive the harsh remarks) I've heard. Only thinking of the short term and nothing else. Do you think matriculation students survive in universities? The fact is, if you cannot do Form Six, then university is hell for you if you go for those prime courses. Matriculation would put you into university, but it'll never get you through with it's low standards.

Take it from a person who is studying the hardest engineering course in Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, a product of STPM.

gohweihan , i hope u understand malay . This is what i've got to say.

Saya tidak membuat keputusan secara membuta-tuli. Balasan 'post' kamu sama ada sengaja atau tidak seolah-olah memberikan gambaran bahawa saya merupakan seorang yang sanggup melakukan apa sahaja termasuk mengambil jalan pintas untuk merealisasikan impian saya , tanpa berfikir , menganalisa dan memikirkan baik buruknya pilihan saya. Realitinya , saya telah mendapatkan pandangan beberapa orang guru serta rakan-rakan saya yang sedang mengikuti kursus perubatan di serata negara. Menurut mereka , sukatan pelajaran matriks tidaklah sebegitu cetek seperti yang digambarkan oleh anda semua dan lepasan matriks juga mempunyai daya saing yang tinggi dalam universiti tempatan. Tambahan pula , matriks menyediakan laluan yang lebih terjamin ke pintu gerbang universiti. Tetapi apa yang paling penting di sini tetap adalah usaha pelajar itu sendiri , bagai kata pepatah hendak seribu daya tak hendak seribu dalih. Saya tidak percaya bahawa lepasan stpm semestinya adalah lebih baik daripada lepasan matriks yang berusaha gigih kerana usaha tangga kejayaan. Saya yakin dengan kemampuan saya dan dengan keizinan Tuhan , akan saya buktikan pada kamu bahawa matriks bukan sesuatu yang wajar dikritik dan dianggap sebagai pintu belakang untuk melangkah ke menara gading. Sebaliknya , ia adalah bagaikan PTS , suatu lagi nikmat dan peluang keemasan dianugerahkan untuk pelajar yang berkebolehan dan sanggup berusaha. Walau bagaimanapun , saya ucapkan selamat berjaya untuk anda yang kononnya sedang mengikuti jurusan kejuruteraan yang paling susah di NTU , tetapi setakat yang saya tahu , pelajar yang benar-benar cemerlang mengamalkan dasar resmi padi , semakin penuh semakin tunduk bukannya resmi jagung , semakin penuh semakin tegak. Untuk komen anda bahawa alasan saya untuk memasuki matriks adalah yang paling bodoh dan kemudiannya meminta maaf atas kekasaran kamu , akan saya analogikan sebagai satu jenaka buruk di kedai kopi yang tidak berstatus , kerana menurut topdog , sekiranya kata-kata kamu berupaya melukai perasaan orang , maka perbuatan meminta maaf itu sebenarnya tidak mendatangkan sebarang erti.
Untuk para ReComers , diharap bahawa balasan pendapat saya ini tidak dianggap sebagai 'personal attack' terhadap gohweihan , tetapi saya sekadar melepaskan segala yang terbuku di hati.

lolilo
19-03-2005, 03:02 PM
in my opinion, although it has been known that the grading system of matriculation is slightly lenient, i doubt the curriculum of matriculation is not enough for us to brace ourselves for the uni. And for those who are planning to further their study in local universities,matriculation is umdeniably a wise choice.

USSDefiantNX74205
19-03-2005, 03:12 PM
Sebaliknya , ia adalah bagaikan PTS , suatu lagi nikmat dan peluang keemasan dianugerahkan untuk pelajar yang berkebolehan dan sanggup berusaha.

Masalahnya, adakah PTS terbuka kepada 10% bukan bumiputra sahaja? Adakah nikmat dan peluang keemasan yang kononnya dianugerahkan ini dapat dikecapi oleh majoriti kaum bukan bumiputra yang lain?

PS: Not even sure why I'm answering this in Malay but...

USSDefiantNX74205
19-03-2005, 03:13 PM
Sebaliknya , ia adalah bagaikan PTS , suatu lagi nikmat dan peluang keemasan dianugerahkan untuk pelajar yang berkebolehan dan sanggup berusaha.

Masalahnya, adakah PTS terbuka kepada 10% bukan bumiputra sahaja? Adakah nikmat dan peluang keemasan yang kononnya dianugerahkan ini dapat dikecapi oleh majoriti kaum bukan bumiputra yang lain?

PS: Not even sure why I'm answering this in Malay but...

sno
19-03-2005, 05:06 PM
after listening to so many opinions.....this is wat i feel

STPM
to do well: work ur arse off
if u were to do badly: well, it is a very hard exam

matriculation
to do well: no sweat
if u were to do badly: er. haven heard of wat happens to those who didn get 4.0 for matrics, so......... :P

i'm personally taking STPM becoz i wan see if i can handle it...coz i didn do well for SPM n it's like erm.STPM will be a chance for me to prove to myself that i am not a failure :D

but i don think anyone taking matrics will fall behind their STPM peers..how well one can cope with his studies really depends on he himself...even if matrics is as easy as some ppl think, one can always learn more from other books....

bagai kata pepatah hendak seribu daya tak hendak seribu dalih

usaha tangga kejayaan

gohweihan
19-03-2005, 08:32 PM

gohweihan , i hope u understand malay . This is what i've got to say.

Saya tidak membuat keputusan secara membuta-tuli. Balasan 'post' kamu sama ada sengaja atau tidak seolah-olah memberikan gambaran bahawa saya merupakan seorang yang sanggup melakukan apa sahaja termasuk mengambil jalan pintas untuk merealisasikan impian saya , tanpa berfikir , menganalisa dan memikirkan baik buruknya pilihan saya. Realitinya , saya telah mendapatkan pandangan beberapa orang guru serta rakan-rakan saya yang sedang mengikuti kursus perubatan di serata negara. Menurut mereka , sukatan pelajaran matriks tidaklah sebegitu cetek seperti yang digambarkan oleh anda semua dan lepasan matriks juga mempunyai daya saing yang tinggi dalam universiti tempatan. Tambahan pula , matriks menyediakan laluan yang lebih terjamin ke pintu gerbang universiti. Tetapi apa yang paling penting di sini tetap adalah usaha pelajar itu sendiri , bagai kata pepatah hendak seribu daya tak hendak seribu dalih. Saya tidak percaya bahawa lepasan stpm semestinya adalah lebih baik daripada lepasan matriks yang berusaha gigih kerana usaha tangga kejayaan. Saya yakin dengan kemampuan saya dan dengan keizinan Tuhan , akan saya buktikan pada kamu bahawa matriks bukan sesuatu yang wajar dikritik dan dianggap sebagai pintu belakang untuk melangkah ke menara gading. Sebaliknya , ia adalah bagaikan PTS , suatu lagi nikmat dan peluang keemasan dianugerahkan untuk pelajar yang berkebolehan dan sanggup berusaha. Walau bagaimanapun , saya ucapkan selamat berjaya untuk anda yang kononnya sedang mengikuti jurusan kejuruteraan yang paling susah di NTU , tetapi setakat yang saya tahu , pelajar yang benar-benar cemerlang mengamalkan dasar resmi padi , semakin penuh semakin tunduk bukannya resmi jagung , semakin penuh semakin tegak. Untuk komen anda bahawa alasan saya untuk memasuki matriks adalah yang paling bodoh dan kemudiannya meminta maaf atas kekasaran kamu , akan saya analogikan sebagai satu jenaka buruk di kedai kopi yang tidak berstatus , kerana menurut topdog , sekiranya kata-kata kamu berupaya melukai perasaan orang , maka perbuatan meminta maaf itu sebenarnya tidak mendatangkan sebarang erti.
Untuk para ReComers , diharap bahawa balasan pendapat saya ini tidak dianggap sebagai 'personal attack' terhadap gohweihan , tetapi saya sekadar melepaskan segala yang terbuku di hati.

Inability to tolerate ambiguity, always want a safe way although that way means oppressing more people, I don't know what else to say. This 10% of matriculation is a policy made by the people up there so that people like you get in, come out and hail matriculation. Then, there is no reason to say non bumiputeras despise matriculation because people like you would support it. It is a political strategy implemented so that matriculation would stay in place. And as long as there are people as shallow as you who thinks like that, then it is just continuing the oppression against other non-bumiputeras. Unless you want to tell me that you don't give a damn about the future of non-bumiputeras.

In my opinion, non-bumiputeras should just boycott matriculation. But with people who are willing to go in for the fact that it is an easier way, and come up with claims (which are still debatable) that matriculation is of equal standards of STPM, it creates division.

I do not wish to comment on whether I see your remarks as a retribution towards my earlier post, but from what I see, I was, and always would defend the principles of equality which matriculation does not promote. And if anyone supports matriculation, then it's just too bad that you're against what I'm supporting, because I believe that I do not need to be humble to anything that stands against equality.

To the people who supports matriculation, your burden of proof is to show all of us here that matriculation is indeed equal in standards to that of STPM. I would not take any less.

By the way, like defiant said, PTS is open to all, while matriculation is exclusive. Does it then shows capabilities (considering also the fact that entry for matriculation takes into account the socioeconomic conditions, and therefore, a non-bumiputera doctor's son may not get matriculation although he scored straight 1As)?

reign226
19-03-2005, 09:11 PM
And another thing: PTS is created for students with the mental capacity to skip one year of primary school. I highly doubt Matriculation is created for people with the mental capacity to skip one year of Pre-University.

FACT:
1) Matriculation syllabus is easier than STPM
2) Matriculation is internally marked. This, as we all know, lead to bias and does not guarantee quality, unlike STPM (and other 'real' Pre-U courses like A-Levels) which is externally examined to ensure fairness.
3) STPM is recognized world-wide. Matrix is recognized only in Malaysia. Ever wonder WHY? If Matrix is equal to STPM, why then is it not as widely accepted?
4) Matriculation (previously) was only for bumis. WHY? Simple question, really.

It is true that the competitiveness and willingness to learn is more important than having an easier alternative to Uni. But the fact is, students in matrix are being given marks they do not deserve. A friend I know who did not get any As in SPM got a 3.89 CGPA for his Matrix. And he told me personally that he hasn't changed his way of studying (or lack thereof).

Everywhere you look, even level-leaded politicians are calling for an end for Matriculation. But ask any nationalist, and matriculation must stay. I don't know how is it possible for anybody to continue to support a dual-system so blatantly designed for bias such as this, but this is also a FACT and we must accept it as thus.

gohweihan
19-03-2005, 09:12 PM
Yeah...sad to say that this IS REALITY.
In the movies or series, you will always hear that "money is not everything".
To me, money is everything. Not that you use money to do evil, but since I failed to secure a scholarship [i got straight A1's for SPM] ..now doing form 6..and having financial difficulties...and thinking of the "hardness" to enter local u...Im beginning to think money is important...as I can study overseas...hahaha

To enter a local university is not hard if you have good results, unless you apply for those popular courses. I was in a similar situation, having JPA denied although straight As' (at that time, straight As' were as valuable as straight 1As now), and have no choice but to go Form Six. But instead of focusing on local universities, I targetted Singapore, and manage to get here under ASEAN after STPM. So it's not that money is everything. If you want to come to Singapore, money is NOT everything. You need money, AND brains (unless you got a scholarship, which takes away the money part).

Not sure about other universities at other parts of the world though, but most top universities should have entry requirements which involves high academic requirements. (No point going overseas just to enrol in a low standard university there, right?)

gohweihan
19-03-2005, 09:19 PM
in my opinion, although it has been known that the grading system of matriculation is slightly lenient, i doubt the curriculum of matriculation is not enough for us to brace ourselves for the uni. And for those who are planning to further their study in local universities,matriculation is umdeniably a wise choice.

It can be said that curriculum is the same, but ultimately, if the grading criteria is not, then overall the standard is lower than STPM.

Take this simple example. Let's say two universities, both teaching programming (standard language, same level).

One university grades the student in a way where if you forgot to put in a sequence terminator (which is like a full stop), you get zero marks for that line even if the line is correct.

The other university would give you say, half marks for that error.

At the end of the day, as an observer, who would you regard as one that would not make errors when programming (if you were supposed to choose one), without asking them to both write lines of codes? Logically speaking, if both of them were to have the same grades, we would conclude that the former would be less prone to errors. Not that the latter is not good, but the fact is, he is grouped together with those that obtained the same grade although not possessing the absolute skill level. Therefore, the value of the latter is questionable. Is he really as good as the first, or is his grades only there because the marking system is not as stringent?

That is the problem with matriculation. Same curriculum makes no difference to the standard, if the grading is less stringent than STPM. By having less stringent systems in place, it also creates a disincentive for people to work that hard, which translates into lowering of personal standards due to the self determination of not needing to keep up with the whole curriculum. Equal curriculum is useless if it could not be manipulated fully on the end of the matriculation.

reign226
19-03-2005, 09:36 PM
In a related note, everybody I know admits Matrix is 'easy', the definition of easy ranging from a watered down syllabus, ability to cram for three months, then forget about what one learnt in the past three months in preparation for the next three months, lenient marking scheme, etc etc.

I think the cramming part is really the dealbreaker. I mean, just remember the stuff you need for the coming exam, they get them out of your system after. This is undeniably a BAD habit to encourage, but that's what Matrix students do, well some anyway. I don't know to what extent it is 'encouraged' and practised.

My STPM physics teacher, who is a matrix graduate, openly admitted to us that some of what we are learning she hasn't got a clue about. Really, if it comes down to it, just compare the thickness of our books. The infamous Poh Liong Yong Chemistry books can be thicker than the ENTIRE Form 5 textbook syllabus combined. The Matrix alternative is a thin (relatively) book that is full of glossy paper and pretty pictures.

I don't understand why people are still defending the matrix syllabus. Face it: it's a few orders of magnitude easier. I'm not trying to belittle the Matrix students, just stating the facts.

If I were able to choose again, I would've gone to Matrix, simply because I won't have to worry about competing with them which is what STPM candidates have to do. Choosing Matrix is a 'wise' choice, in the same way that wise people don't have to be smart to recognize certain 'opportunities'.

USSDefiantNX74205
19-03-2005, 09:43 PM
The infamous Poh Liong Yong Chemistry books

Who can forget those? Thick as telephone directories...Physical chem comes with matching yellow cover too.

reign226
19-03-2005, 10:06 PM
Hahha, good observation. I wonder if there's an Inorganic one. I don't think there is one because the previous students from my school used a really really thin book. I was wondering what books did you guys use for Inoganic?

joebf86
19-03-2005, 11:42 PM
Quote:
The infamous Poh Liong Yong Chemistry books

Who can forget those? Thick as telephone directories...Physical chem comes with matching yellow cover too.

yaya. well, i'm still struggling to finish all of them
there's one more is forgotten, the red cover Organic Chem... lol
havent even start yet...

reign226
19-03-2005, 11:59 PM
better take things slow mah. our teacher blitzed through 1/2 the Organic book during the 1 week holiday and left us all dazed and confused.

20-03-2005, 10:48 PM
i dont think matriks is like PTS
becoz PTS select ppl based on IQ and mentality
but matriks base on many factors like economic
and i heard tat writing u live in KAMPUNG
will give u more chance

seiken
23-03-2005, 02:29 PM
Yes, its true. If you live outskirts, your chance of securing a place in matrix is high..
Anyway, I know that students in matrix are very hardworking, but the truth is marking system is too lenient, plus their syllabus is really not as much as STPM. In my opinion, it is a bit unfair for those who score 4.0 in STPM but failed to get a seat in local uni, while the matrix students get to enter with a 4.0...STPM student definitely went thru the hard way, yet they were denied a chance for local uni.. :roll:

kevinkhoo1986
27-03-2005, 07:57 PM
I guess the MOE should really enforced a similar examination to gain entry into local universities (which i think impossible) if only the so called "matriculation" are as tough as the STPM examination. Why they want to use two totally different system to gain entry into local universities if both are the same? Is that call "fair" when the matri students need only 1 year to complete the pre-u and STPM students need 2 years to complete pre-u? and it seems like the government favour those who have taken matriculation. (remember the case where 128 stpm students were not accepted into medical course?) Personally my physics teacher told us that our STPM physics syllabus are 30% tougher than the A-level physics. Topic such as Gauss' law in physics are not even exist in A-level.

cutie_gal
27-03-2005, 10:18 PM
better take things slow mah. our teacher blitzed through 1/2 the Organic book during the 1 week holiday and left us all dazed and confused.

Well..if your teacher dont do so, he/she will not be able to finish the syllabus in time. One thing about org chem is all the topics are closely related. In other words, things will repeat as you go on.

kevinkhoo1986
28-03-2005, 01:57 PM

Well..if your teacher dont do so, he/she will not be able to finish the syllabus in time. One thing about org chem is all the topics are closely related. In other words, things will repeat as you go on.

My teacher go through organic chemistry very fast. I guess she managed to finish half of the whole organic syllabus in 2 weeks time. But the physical chemistry tooks age to complete it. We study almost 6 months on physical chemistry but just managed to finish until ionic equilibria recently. When i look at the thickness of both the "fajar bakti" STPM chemistry book would make me fainted. Imagine a 8cm thinkness book to cover in 1 and a half year time for just one subject. 8O

PINKPIGGY
28-03-2005, 03:40 PM
Wil matriculation student being isolated in public u? Cos the standard is low N is unfair compared 2 yhose who study really hard 4 two years(STPM). :oops: :roll:

HappyCat
28-03-2005, 04:37 PM
does anybody noe matriculation's website? :roll:

kevinkhoo1986
28-03-2005, 10:57 PM
i need to know how many students scored 4.00 in stpm and how many students scored 4.00 in matriculation. Anyone have the statistic?

chenchow
29-03-2005, 07:37 AM
I think there have been some data on 4.00 for matrics. If I don't remember wrongly, there are about 1800 students with 4.00 this year from matrics.

On whether matrics students are being isolated in public university, I don't think so. I personally don't have the real scenario back home, perhaps those who are in IPTA would be able to give a better sense of the situation.

However, I believe that there shouldn't be too big a difference among the quality of students produced by STPM and matriculation. Come to think of it, STPM is more like 1 years 4 months or so, so it is just extra by a few months.

PINKPIGGY
29-03-2005, 12:54 PM
HappyCat:does anybody noe matriculation's website?

check it out on the minister of education website. :oops:
www.emoe.gov.my

HappyCat
29-03-2005, 03:33 PM
i have check it but i just can found

Semakan Status Permohonan Kemasukan ke Kolej Matrikulasi
does anyone know the result about chosen students' name list to matriculation?

petertok
29-03-2005, 03:48 PM
HappyCat i think the list is not out yet....im waiting for it as well... anyone with any news update regarding matriks application results pls inform us..

USSDefiantNX74205
29-03-2005, 03:54 PM
However, I believe that there shouldn't be too big a difference among the quality of students produced by STPM and matriculation. Come to think of it, STPM is more like 1 years 4 months or so, so it is just extra by a few months.

I'm not sure how you came up with this belief, chenchow, but I have seen numerous people complain (mostly on malaysiakini's letters section) about the quality of university students produced by the matriks system. And I'm not sure if your F6 estimation of 1 year and 4 months includes the holidays or not, but with them it's more like 1 year and 6 months. In my year, it's even longer - 1 year and 8 months. Matriks? About a year if I remember correctly. With the hols counted, it's even shorter. How else would you explain the fact that matriks students can enter uni a year earlier?

Almost everyone here agrees that the matriks syllabus is nothing compared to the STPM, so if judging by academic and exam standards alone (which our unis use to evaluate entry) STPM students should be way ahead on quality compared to their matriks counterparts, especially among the top CGPA scorers.

HappyCat
29-03-2005, 03:55 PM
last year, my senior batch knew the result of matriculation before spm results out. but what happen to this year :?: it seems that we had waited for a very long time...i have heard that the list will come out in April...oh no... :evil: :oops: :cry:

chwk87
29-03-2005, 06:12 PM
I think there have been some data on 4.00 for matrics. If I don't remember wrongly, there are about 1800 students with 4.00 this year from matrics.

On whether matrics students are being isolated in public university, I don't think so. I personally don't have the real scenario back home, perhaps those who are in IPTA would be able to give a better sense of the situation.

chenchow, i also dont agree with you about the the quality of students produced by STPM and matriculation are almost the same.
My sisiter's friend sucessfully got to do medic in USM last year with 4.00 (matrix). When she went there , she found out there are many matrix students with 4.00 result. But, when the semester exam result came out, there are many matrix students getting failed,but none of the STPM students got failed . So, is it the quality not much different? I think there is a BIG difference.

kevinkhoo1986
29-03-2005, 06:47 PM

Matriculation are split into 2 semesters where each semester they have 2 session of 10 weeks schooling period. So they have just a total 40 weeks or 10 months to complete the whole syllabus.
http://www.kmpk.matrik.edu.my/pass_bah.htm

If i am not mistaken, STPM start their schooling session around May. But since during the first few weeks, most of the school are not going to officially start teaching (Due to orientation week and so on), so we don't count May. Let's start it with June.

June --- November = 6 months( Assumed to be 5 months since there are a couple of weeks of school holiday and examination week)

Jan --- November = 11 months (Assume to be 10 months since there are several weeks of holiday and examination weeks)

So we get about 15 months of schooling session for STPM students while Matriculation have 10 months to finish the whole syllabus. That's not a slight difference and i will considered it as huge difference since STPM students have 50% more of schooling session.

Come on, there are a whopping 1800 4.00 scorers in Matri and 362 scorers in STPM. Compare the figure and i am sure it's a HUGE difference. It seems like 50% of the non-bumi who enter matriculation will get flat 4.00 since 1000 out of the 1800 scorers are nonbumi while nonbumi just make up 10 percent of the quota.

gohweihan
30-03-2005, 03:58 AM

No offence, but as I've said countless times before, the burden of proof to people who make these statements about the quality of matriculation is to prove that this is indeed true. Unless there is concrete and credible eveidence to show this, no one would be convinced that matriculation is on par with STPM in terms of quality.

PINKPIGGY
31-03-2005, 01:16 PM
Do u all know when we can check whether we r selected 4 the matriculation programme? :oops:

Destiny_Child
31-03-2005, 01:37 PM
stpm or matrix?hmmpp*tough question!*
come on, of course ppl out thr would definitely choose matrix.okok...maybe thr r sum who would rather opt for form 6. but its clear n "brightly shown" (malay proverb:sudah terang lagi bersuluh) tht matriculation is kind of like a short cut to enter local U.its conducted in only 1 yr, n yet, most students can actually score 4.00 !n tht score can ensure u a gud place (eg:medicine) in local U. who doenst want tht privilege? n if u compare this to form 6, in form 6, u really haf to struggle to survive (ok, its not like u'll die thr) coz i bet the things we learn thr r gonna be tough...!its not merely about memorising the damn-thick-book n thn u sit form stpm. dat WONT guarantee u an A.its more than wut we(form5 leavers) expected. its about being independent-doing ur own research n so on. but if we go to matirx, our exams r marked by our own lecturers!(maybe dats one of the reasons y they can score till perfect score)*hope the matix students wont get offended)* :oops:
but dats da truth.so u cant blame those who desperately wanna go into matrix...thr r lotsa advantages. i, myself have applied for matrix n im keeping my fingers crossed for it. nyways, i'm still preparing for the worst.(coz chinese stands very slim chance i knoe n bsides, im a citygurl!):( i'll just continue form 6 n face the music. form 6 isnt dat bad after all, m i rite?

as wut the saying goes:

-You will never stub your toe standing still.The faster you go, the more chance there is of stubbing your toe., but the more chance of you getting somewhere-Charles F. Kettering

skyguy
02-04-2005, 04:08 PM
When will they announce those successful applicants for matriks? :?:

gohweihan
02-04-2005, 11:58 PM
What we need is a mass boycott of matriculation. When the non-bumiputeras shun matriculation, this would be a sign to the government that matriculation is a wrong policy in the point of view of non-bumiputeras.

flibbertigibbet
03-04-2005, 12:20 AM
When will they announce those successful applicants for matriks? :?:

If I'm not mistaken, you can check your status after 4th April by clicking the link below:

http://apps.emoe.gov.my/matrik_semak

Randomphantom
03-04-2005, 12:30 AM
No that won't work at all. Unless bumiputras themselves shun it. If not then they'd blame it again on non-bumiputras for their not giving a chance for matriculation. There'd be no one to benchmark their results against and it would cause more inequality between STPM and Matric, as they freely adjust their standards to suit the majority of Matric students, and non-bumiputrans would then be unable to argue that the system is unfair. At least now its crystal clear that it IS.

Seems like 10% of matric students are non bumiputeras who constitute 55% of the 4.00 scorers. Almost like a Pareto distribution. And to think they deliberately (?) took in students with not-so-top results (those that get top results get JPA scholarship, those 2nd top would then be unable to get into matriculation. Therefore they go into Form 6). Then there's another Pareto: large proportion of 4.00 scorers in Matric compared to STPM, while large proportion of STPM takers compared to Matric. This is taking it too far.

gohweihan
04-04-2005, 01:35 AM
No that won't work at all. Unless bumiputras themselves shun it. If not then they'd blame it again on non-bumiputras for their not giving a chance for matriculation. There'd be no one to benchmark their results against and it would cause more inequality between STPM and Matric, as they freely adjust their standards to suit the majority of Matric students, and non-bumiputrans would then be unable to argue that the system is unfair. At least now its crystal clear that it IS.

Seems like 10% of matric students are non bumiputeras who constitute 55% of the 4.00 scorers. Almost like a Pareto distribution. And to think they deliberately (?) took in students with not-so-top results (those that get top results get JPA scholarship, those 2nd top would then be unable to get into matriculation. Therefore they go into Form 6). Then there's another Pareto: large proportion of 4.00 scorers in Matric compared to STPM, while large proportion of STPM takers compared to Matric. This is taking it too far.

This is a stalemate we are facing here. When the government opens 10%, there are non-bumiputeras who go on and worship matriculation, although we all know that the system is unfair. When we (those who do not want the system) question and ask the government to abolish it, they harp on those worshippers to say how good matriculation is, and how so called high their standard is (which those worshippers would gladly do so).

On the other hand, if the govenment shuts out non-bumiputeras from matriculation, the problem that you describe happens.

Bumiputeras would never go against matriculation, as there is no incentive for them to do so.

What the non-bumiputeras can do (as I've mentioned) is to shun matriculation, thus sending a message to the government that their standard is so low, that they (the non-bumiputeras) find that matriculation is a joke, and that even if they open to non-bumiputeras, the non-bumiputeras wouldn't want to take it for the low standards. Basically it's about upholding pride in the intellect of the non-bumiputeras.

When we send that message, only then can we say we are truly against matriculation. Having non-bumiputeras who support matriculation among us would only bring about the continuation of the system. The government can claim that we can't get our priorities right, and that we are divided over matriculation - not sure about what should be our common ground on the issue.

To shun is like a mass protest against the government. We need to tell the government that we have had enough of listening to their lies about the standards of matriculation, and how it is on par with STPM and therefore should continue. We need serious action, short of launching a mass rally in front of Putrajaya.

Jia0924
04-04-2005, 03:59 AM
i need to know how many students scored 4.00 in stpm and how many students scored 4.00 in matriculation. Anyone have the statistic?

I think Matric and STPM are different, too.This is what i found.
Check it out--->http://www.drcheah.com/archives/2004_05_01_archive.html

wawa
04-04-2005, 04:51 PM
chenchow wrote:

No offence, but as I've said countless times before, the burden of proof to people who make these statements about the quality of matriculation is to prove that this is indeed true. Unless there is concrete and credible eveidence to show this, no one would be convinced that matriculation is on par with STPM in terms of quality.

Well, I was one of the crazy geeks who had nothing better to do than to read the matrikulasi textbooks for fun (our school library had stocked it)..Frankly, the syllabus covered by the Matrik is much wider than STPM, but they do not possess the depth of STPM..in short, they just fleet from topic to topic. I think why people keep saying STPM is harder than Matrik would be that it is much harder to score in STPM than in Matrikulasi because STPM is a nation-wide exam whereby bell curves are applied while Matrik is at the discretion of the teachers who have personal contact with the students

gohweihan
04-04-2005, 07:24 PM
Hmm, that's the whole point. Same (or equivalent) syllabus but more relaxed examination standards make it lower in overall standards.

N-Guy
05-04-2005, 11:06 PM
frankly speaking ....mariculation is just like a trojan horse created by the goverment

STPM is good...it relinquishes one's talent....my cousin (who scored 9 1A in SPM) said if you probably applied the same studying method like you do in SPM for STPM....eg...3.5 hours per day...you might end up doing quite badly...Scary???...The problem id

HappyCat
07-04-2005, 01:25 PM
If I'm not mistaken, you can check your status after 4th April by clicking the link below:

i find nothing...
it says: Maklumat anda telah diterima dan sedang diproses

alamanda_star
07-04-2005, 05:38 PM
when will the matriculation start this year ?

skyguy
08-04-2005, 05:35 PM
i have a question, let say someone got selected for the upcoming matrik session, when will basically he/she complete it and get their results?

HappyCat
09-04-2005, 10:03 AM
i have a question, let say someone got selected for the upcoming matrik session, when will basically he/she complete it and get their results?
erm, i just know about the 04/05 batch.

last year they start in June.
today (9 April), they start sitting for their final exam till next Wednesday if i'm not mistaken.
after the exam, they can be said had complete it.
they will get their results through letter which sent by their school (matriculation) to their house.

the above information i get from my senior who now still study there.
good luck for their final exam.

correct me if i'm wrong. :wink:

flibbertigibbet
09-04-2005, 10:18 AM

i find nothing...
it says: Maklumat anda telah diterima dan sedang diproses

Today's news.

PETALING JAYA: Students can check the status of their application for the 2005/2006 matriculation programme from Monday.

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/nastory.asp

Click the link above to read about the news.

Click the link below to check your status:

Hope I'm right this time.

wendy
09-04-2005, 01:11 PM
Whassup guys?
i'm kinda curious about the matrics intake. lets say u finish ur exam around april......then when would you receive ur result?
is it in time to apply for the admission to IPTA this year...the 2005 batch. ARE they vying for places in the IPTA with the 2004 batch of stpm students?

IF they are not, wouldn't they be wasting another year to wait for the next year intake for IPTA?
wouldn't they forget what they study if they r goin to wait so long?
THEN MATILAH IN THE UNIVERSITI!
HAHA....these are just my assumptions!!!! I need real answers. :D

nxwen
09-04-2005, 01:33 PM
This is what I heard: the matriks students apply for IPTA using their first semester results. Thus, they will be vying for places with STPM 2004 students. This means that matriks students will save 1 year and will be 1 year younger than STPM students. But I think UPU will check on their final results.

Pleasa verify this. :D

skyguy
09-04-2005, 01:44 PM

today (9 April), they start sitting for their final exam till next Wednesday if i'm not mistaken.
they will get their results through letter which sent by their school (matriculation) to their house.

Wait a minute, if last year batch matrik students just completed their exams then what about the recent 1800 matrik students who scored CGPA4.0? Which batch are they in? :?: :?: :!:

gohweihan
09-04-2005, 01:48 PM

Wait a minute, if last year batch matrik students just completed their exams then what about the recent 1800 matrik students who scored CGPA4.0? Which batch are they in? :?: :?: :!:

That batch would be the ones competing for public university places with the people who got their STPM results this year (i.e. STPM 2003 intake)

HappyCat
09-04-2005, 01:48 PM
This is what I heard: the matriks students apply for IPTA using their first semester results. Thus, they will be vying for places with STPM 2004 students. This means that matriks students will save 1 year and will be 1 year younger than STPM students. But I think UPU will check on their final results.

Pleasa verify this. :D
well, the matriks students will apply for IPTA before they sitting the final exam.
i think they are not only using their first semester results... :roll:
their first semester results and final exam's results will mix together and divided by 2. then that is their score.

hope i'm not wrong... :wink:

HappyCat
09-04-2005, 03:10 PM
erm...sorry that i have made a small mistake... :oops:

i have asked my senior about the matriculation...

they will not fix their form to IPTA first.
after sitting the final exam, they will receive their results in May through letter.
after that, they can only apply IPTA in a week. :wink:

wendy
09-04-2005, 10:59 PM
ohh okie then!!!! Using their finals exam result to gain admission to IPTA is somehow a lil more fair than only using their first semester exam result!!!! however......emm i don't mean that it is fair for stpm students overall! :evil: haih....reality is harsh!

alamanda_star
10-04-2005, 02:11 PM
hmm.. i just wanna ask.. is it true, if we accept matriculation, we can't get any offer from upu anymore? a friend did tell me about this but I think it sounds too ridiculous...

anyone out there can confirm this news for me?

and one more thing, is it true, if we already accept the matriculation, we will need to pay RM3000, if we want to reject it?

yen_05
10-04-2005, 03:04 PM
Alamanda_star wrote:

hmm.. i just wanna ask.. is it true, if we accept matriculation, we can't get any offer from upu anymore? a friend did tell me about this but I think it sounds too ridiculous...

and one more thing, is it true, if we already accept the matriculation, we will need to pay RM3000, if we want to reject it?

Hwatt????? We HAVE to pay 3K if we reject matriculation ??? Anyone....Puhlezz confirm....RM3K....threre's a lot. 8O 8O
But 1 thingie i noe(but not so sure) is if we got matriculation, then our names won't be in the candidates list for UPU(i think so) coz i heard from my former school counselling teachers that they will automatically cancel our names in the matriculation list if we fail to be choosen and they will forward our names to UPU. SOmeone out there pleaase confirm......... :? :?

lolilo
10-04-2005, 03:33 PM

my school cousellor specifically said that. i guess it's true.

it's going to be another gamble :twisted: :twisted:

alamanda_star
10-04-2005, 07:24 PM

my school cousellor specifically said that. i guess it's true.

it's going to be another gamble :twisted: :twisted:

oh my god!and I heard that upu result will only out around june! how we want to know we had secure a place at upu? luck doesn't knock twice...

petertok
10-04-2005, 11:50 PM
YES... i got matriks penang...

To recommers who wish to check now , the available method is only SMS for the time being.

type MATRIK
space
type TAWARAN
space
type IC NUMBER in full

send to 36399 and wait for reply
good luck to you all

lolilo
11-04-2005, 12:00 AM
STUPID MATRIKS :evil: :twisted: ..... hmmm, blessing in disguise i guess....hehe :D

yen_05
11-04-2005, 12:37 AM
*sob**sob*
darn it.......i failed to get matriks... :evil: :evil: :cry: :cry: :cry: :x :x :cry:

skyguy
11-04-2005, 06:55 AM
shit, i didn't get it.

What to do, i'm not a bumi.

chenchow
11-04-2005, 07:03 AM
shit, i didn't get it.

I don't think the factor of being non bumi is the reason for not getting matriculation. In fact, non-bumi has higher chances (based on past year, we'll the statistics soon), as there aren't too many people who apply.

Lody
11-04-2005, 07:36 AM
wow i get it, its like a dream come true, anyway i failed to get petronas, my friend got it, i didn't get straight a's in spm and i am a bumi, but now i am torn between taking biologi or physics? can anyone help me? chenchow esp, u seems to know best, can give me some advice, and other recom members help me

alamanda_star
11-04-2005, 08:15 AM
maybe this sound silly but I didin't apply for matrix kedah but I got it.. urgh!!!!

so..is it my name is not in the upu list anymore?

anyone here wanna reject the matrix and wait for upu?

so...what's the best?

accept this never matrix or wait 4 upu?

DecentMerson
11-04-2005, 08:18 AM
shit, i didn't get it.

I don't think the factor of being non bumi is the reason for not getting matriculation. In fact, non-bumi has higher chances (based on past year, we'll the statistics soon), as there aren't too many people who apply.

but if a bumi and a non bumi who score identical results, the bumi will stand a higher chance... no doubt about it...

if u look at the entire pool of applicants, then, it might show that the admission rate of bumi among bumi applicants might be lower... but this doesn't show non-bumi stand a higher chance... this only shows that the quantity of bumi applicant is of a higher number...

for instance... i think it is fair for me to assume that the average number of A's non bumis who applied to Matriks scores is higher than that of their bumi peers....

PINKPIGGY
11-04-2005, 08:54 AM
*crying* :( :( :( :evil:

I failed to get matrculation's offer!! Many friends of mine who got it hs results poorer than mine, my co-c is not bad ak!! Why????
:( :( :( :(

lolilo
11-04-2005, 09:02 AM
*crying* :( :( :( :evil:

I failed to get matrculation's offer!! Many friends of mine who got it hs results poorer than mine, my co-c is not bad ak!! Why????
:( :( :( :(

FATED ler.

HappyCat
11-04-2005, 09:35 AM
yeah...i got my matriculation in Johore. :D

to those who have not been selected, you can post a letter to reapply again, don't be so upset...
may be you have one more chance. :wink:

good luck to you all. :P

PINKPIGGY
11-04-2005, 10:00 AM
HappyCat:

to those who have not been selected, you can post a letter to reapply again, don't be so upset...
may be you have one more chance.

How to reapply? :?:

HappyCat
11-04-2005, 11:48 AM
HappyCat:

may be you have one more chance.
How to reapply? :?:
to reapply, you can ask for help from MCA.
you go and find the leader or the members of MCA in your state, tell them your problem, they may ask you to give them a copy of your SPM result.
however, the prosedur needs time.
but, please be patient. :wink:

you can visit this link

www.mca.org.my

hope this help you a lot. :wink:

HappyCat
11-04-2005, 12:03 PM
below is the another way:
(i don't know it works or not...but no harm if you try it...)

(1) call the hotline to understand your situation.

tel: 03-26985603 / 26985604

(2) last year before you sent up your form, you had asked to photostat your form right?
you can sent the photocopy form to:

a) Pergerakan Pemuda MCA Kebangsaan,
Tingkat 7, Wisma MCA,
163, Jalan Ampang
50450 Kuala Lumpur.

email: youth@<hidden>

b) Pengarah Jabatan Pendidikan Tinggi Kementerian Pendidikan Malaysia,
Paras 2, Blok J Utara,
Pusat Bandar Damansara,
50604 Kuala Lumpur.

email: upu@<hidden>

c) secretary of MCA

tel: 03-21618044

*they encourage the students to sent the letter of complaint by pos laju.

hope i'm not wrong. :wink:
corret me if i'm wrong...

PINKPIGGY
11-04-2005, 12:45 PM
Thanks 4 yr help, HappyCat!

Ecinue
11-04-2005, 01:05 PM
i've sent an sms to 36399. i've also failed to get matriks. i'm a non-bumi and my results in SPM: 9A1s, 1A2 (moral), GCE A1. i'm active in coco... both my parents are government servants - teachers... i applied with a rural address... *sigh
anyway, for those who wish to check online, please click
http://apps.emoe.gov.my/matrik_tawaran/

petertok
11-04-2005, 01:43 PM
To those who got the matriks offer , pls check your status online and confirm your address... Important bcos they are going to send you offer letters soon. And , they got mine wrong , going to call my kolej now to rectify the mistake.

chwk87
11-04-2005, 02:03 PM
i am kinda lucky bcoz im one the the 10% non-bumis. Maybe i live in outskirt area and i get good result(11A).

yen_05
11-04-2005, 02:09 PM
I think there's sumthing wrong wif the moe site. It's xtremely slooww. I suggest u check ur status via SMS.
Type MATRIK<space>TAWARAN<space>your ic no. in full and send it to 36399.
GOOD LUCK!!!! :idea: :idea:

pangping1510
11-04-2005, 03:04 PM
-deleted for good-

HappyCat
11-04-2005, 03:47 PM
wow! my school got about 50 students selected to matriculation!
all of us selected to matriculation in Johore except a few in Malacca...

yen_05
11-04-2005, 03:54 PM
Happy Cat wrote:
wow! my school got about 50 students selected to matriculation!
all of us selected to matriculation in Johore except a few in Malacca...

Congrats!!!!
Wow!! 8O 8O 8O ......50 students!!!!! HAHA...my school i think not more than 10(maybe not more than 5 also) & ALL of them are bumi...

yen_05
11-04-2005, 04:01 PM
My kad akuan penerimaan(KAP)- the pink card that they sent to our house when we submitted our form....edi landed in the tong sampah....cis...all my effort wasted for keeping that card for so long and putting high hopes that i can secure a place in matriculation....arhgg... forget it....it's over :evil: :evil: :x :x :oops: :cry: :cry:
LOokin forward to study F6

eLmo_
11-04-2005, 04:45 PM
hey...i got matrix at labuan...n they also got my address wrong...luckily i check that website...

yen_05
11-04-2005, 04:58 PM
hey...i got matrix at labuan...n they also got my address wrong...luckily i check that website...

HAha :lol:
wrong address!!....if never check means the offer letter tak sampai rumah....thank god u check...
anywayz....congratzz!!!

BTW, Congrats to all who got matrix!!! :) :)

eLmo_
11-04-2005, 05:14 PM
yalor....fuhh...luckily...its not too late if i call them 2morrow morning rite?

yen_05
11-04-2005, 05:20 PM
No....still early to call.....coz matrix start 16 May and still got about 1 month+++ BUT don't take the risk by calling too late!!!! :idea: :lol: :wink:

PINKPIGGY
11-04-2005, 05:23 PM
My schl hs quite a number of students who succeed too! Unfortunately, not including me..... :cry:

Anyway, congrats to all who succeed.

Wish me luck cos i hv reapply. :oops:

yen_05
11-04-2005, 11:27 PM
PINKPIGGY wrote:

Wish me luck cos i hv reapply.

ALrigh.....Good luck PINKPIGGY.....looking forward to hear good news from u ya..... :) :) :)

Well....i'm not reapplying.....heading to F6

yen_05
11-04-2005, 11:33 PM
Must b wondering Y i'm not reapplying leh....
I think i stand on a very slim chance to be accepted in matrix coz even straight 1As students with good coco can't secure a place in matrix.

chwk87
12-04-2005, 12:14 AM
i think the main factor is the location of ur school. If ur school is in outskirt area, u stand a higher chance even if ur result is not tat good.
Almost half of class got selected even though some of them is not so good. I dont think coco play a significant role as i dint fill anything when i apply although im a president.

PJKru
12-04-2005, 12:19 AM
what is coco guys?

yen_05
12-04-2005, 12:23 AM
Probably ya......my school is kind of in a city area....u noe "Bandar Shah Alam". No wonder my class only 2 malay gals got it perhaps only 2 malay gals got it in my school. :lol: 8O :lol: 8O

yen_05
12-04-2005, 12:23 AM
coco-cocuriculum

PJKru
12-04-2005, 12:28 AM
thanks

yen_05
12-04-2005, 12:55 AM
Juz curious....anyone who got matrix in universiti malaya?? Looks like no one who got it :roll: :roll: :| :mrgreen:

HappyCat
12-04-2005, 09:32 AM
Juz curious....anyone who got matrix in universiti malaya?? Looks like no one who got it :roll: :roll: :| :mrgreen:
i think the matrix in universiti malaya is open for the bumi only...

jbboy88
12-04-2005, 09:45 AM
i think the matrix in universiti malaya is open for the bumi only...

of course you're wrong.........the only institution that opens for bumis only is UiTM if i'm not wrong...... surely there're non-bumis in UM...... ermm....if i'm not mistaken, the entry to matric is based on meritocracy right? but somehow my chinese & indian friends in MRSM didn't get the offer......

chenchow
12-04-2005, 09:51 AM
Matrics and MRSM are not under meritocracy. They are under quota system.

Every other thing is under meritocracy (IPTA applications, JPA Scholarships applications etc).

jbboy88
12-04-2005, 10:11 AM
Matrics and MRSM are not under meritocracy. They are under quota system.

Every other thing is under meritocracy (IPTA applications, JPA Scholarships applications etc).

i know about the 10% quota system in MRSMs....but i don't know that matric is not under meritocracy.... thanks Mr CC for the answer...

PINKPIGGY
12-04-2005, 10:14 AM
Quote:

PINKPIGGY wrote:

Wish me luck cos i hv reapply.

ALrigh.....Good luck PINKPIGGY.....looking forward to hear good news from u ya.....

Thanks, yen_05! Anyway, i think my chance is slim too. But, i wil not give up easily! 8)

Eh, my teacher say that mayb those who failed to get matric hv been selected for JPA! So, hope that's true! :o :oops:

zAiTsEv
12-04-2005, 10:17 AM
Didn't get matriculation? No big deal! By the way, failing to get matriculation doesn't mean that you've higher chances to get a JPA scholarship. I just don't see the relationship between these two. :wink:

lolilo
12-04-2005, 10:18 AM
but somehow my chinese & indian friends in MRSM didn't get the offer......

oh ? suppose its coincidence that my mrsm, no non-bumi got matrics ? or................. :twisted:

cypress
12-04-2005, 12:56 PM
HEY I GET IN MATRIX IN UM BUT .....IS IT JUST FOR MEDIC ONLY :?: BECAUSE SOME OF MY FREINDS SAID SO AND DONT THIMK I WANNA TO TAKE MEDIC........

yen_05
12-04-2005, 01:12 PM
HEY I GET IN MATRIX IN UM BUT .....IS IT JUST FOR MEDIC ONLY BECAUSE SOME OF MY FREINDS SAID SO AND DONT THIMK I WANNA TO TAKE MEDIC........

Izzit??? I don't think so...BUT even if yes, i encourage you to accept the offer. U know how many out there longing and hoping to take medic. MOreover is in UM.....probably afer u complete ur matrix then they will offer u some other courses tat u prefer.....besides getting matrix is like a free ticket to university......u know how many of fellow ReComers still waiting for good news and instead they seems to receive more bad new than good.....this one failed.....that one rejected....another one not successful...bla...bla... :idea: :idea:

DecentMerson
12-04-2005, 01:31 PM
HEY I GET IN MATRIX IN UM BUT .....IS IT JUST FOR MEDIC ONLY :?: BECAUSE SOME OF MY FREINDS SAID SO AND DONT THIMK I WANNA TO TAKE MEDIC........

pls don't use capital letters... it 'sounds' rude...

cypress
12-04-2005, 01:46 PM

pls don't use capital letters... it 'sounds' rude...

oppss......i'm sorry...didn't mean to "sounds" rude....

kewlbutterfly
12-04-2005, 02:07 PM
To reapply.. bsides mca where else can i send coz i m x a chinese. I tried mailing to te email address tat has been given earlier te upu@<hidden>. But I m x sure if tats te rite one..i hope sum1 can give me a more clear mesg. Thank u!

pangping1510
12-04-2005, 02:12 PM
-deleted for good-

cypress
12-04-2005, 02:36 PM
well i'm going to check it first, if it just for medic...i have to think about it because i'm more to engineering.....but if someone know about it, let me know k... :wink:

wendy
12-04-2005, 04:26 PM
well i'm going to check it first, if it just for medic...i have to think about it because i'm more to engineering.....but if someone know about it, let me know k... :wink:

:roll: :roll: :roll: wat is meant to be is not meant to be!

HappyCat
13-04-2005, 08:44 AM
this is today news.

according to "Nanyang" newspaper,

those who wish to reapply for matriculation have to be done in 2 weeks.
the deadline is 24 April.

you have to sent a letter with a copy of your spm result to:

Pengarah Bahagian Matrikulasi,
Kementerian Pendidikan Malaysia,
Tingkat 6, Wisma KWSG,
Jalan Kampung ATTAP,
50460 Kuala Lumpur.

if you have any question, please contact 03-21618044.

if you want to reapply through Biro Pendidikan, this is their address:

Biro Pendidikan,
Pemuda MCA Kebangsaan,
Tingkat 7, Wisma MCA,
Jalan Ampang,
50450 Kuala Lumpur.

good luck to you all. :wink:

chenchow
13-04-2005, 10:46 AM
Copy from a redundant thread.

oh my god...till today i still hesistate ..i ve decided 2 studt form 6...
i am not so luckly that i dont selected 2 study matriculation ..but just now i read newspaper said hat we can 'buat rayuan'..i heard people say that matrix is good only atear and the chance 2 go UNI is easily ..isnt true..n they even told me that if u study f.6 ..if u fail..u .got nth..oh my god..Form 6 really terrible as people think..so i dont know how 2 do..should i make 'rayuan'?? :cry: :cry: :cry:

Please continue discussion here.

HappyCat
13-04-2005, 11:31 AM
oh my god...till today i still hesistate ..i ve decided 2 studt form 6...
i am not so luckly that i dont selected 2 study matriculation ..but just now i read newspaper said hat we can 'buat rayuan'..i heard people say that matrix is good only atear and the chance 2 go UNI is easily ..isnt true..n they even told me that if u study f.6 ..if u fail..u .got nth..oh my god..Form 6 really terrible as people think..so i dont know how 2 do..should i make 'rayuan'?? :cry: :cry: :cry:
you can reapply first, no harm if you try it.
form 6 will start on 17 May, and the students who are selected have to register at matriculation on 16 May.

i advise you better apply for form 6 too...who know whether you would selected for matriculation or not?

good luck for you. :wink:

HappyCat
13-04-2005, 01:50 PM
according "XinZhou" newspaper, i translate it into bahasa.

pegawai pendidikan berkata:

terdapat 26.88% pemohon yang berjaya secara keseluruhannya.
bumiputra -- 30.29%
bukan bumiputra -- 12.63%

jumlah bilangan pemohon yang berjaya ialah 27,500.
bumiputra -- 25,000
bukan bumiputra -- 2,500 (kira-kira)

pemohon yang berjaya akan menerima surat notis daripada kolej matrikulasi masing-masing 3 minggu sebelum hari pendaftaran pada 16 Mei.

untuk mereka yang memenuhi syarat tetapi tidak terpilih, sila tujukan surat rayuan selewat-lewatnya 30 April. pemohon yang berjaya di kalangan ini akan mendapat surat 2 minggu selepas hari pendaftaran pelajar baru.

jika rayuan anda tidak mendapat sebarang surat dari pihak matrikulasi, anda dianggap tidak berjaya.

reign226
13-04-2005, 07:25 PM
Form Six is tough, nuff said. And yes, if you fail any of the four papers, or fail to get a C and above for any of the four papers, your name will NOT be considered when applying for local u. However, you can still use your cert to apply at a private u lah. But the reason why we did STPM is to get into local u in the first place, so this might throw a wrench into your plans.

personally, Form Six is very powerful. I have seen people change around me. It basically forces you to grow up and be responsible for your own future. Based on that alone I would recommend you to take up Form Six, but if you know you're a weak student, then I think you will have a better time in Matrix la.

jeszz87
14-04-2005, 12:40 AM
sorry coz always troubled chen chow..n got many spelling mistakes..anyway tq n sory..haha :D 8O
i decided 2 make rayuan..frankly i really hope i ll be selected matrix...but i know that dont put high expectation or u ll despair....
in other hand,i told myself that i am now --------form 6 i am pay attention 2 it dont think the other ..reapply matrix just depend on my lick..huh...god......
anyway how bout u all -after SPM..any planning??
wish all of us all the best ........ :wink: :lol:

PINKPIGGY
14-04-2005, 01:41 PM
you have to sent a letter with a copy of your spm result to:

Pengarah Bahagian Matrikulasi,
Kementerian Pendidikan Malaysia,
Tingkat 6, Wisma KWSG,
Jalan Kampung ATTAP,
50460 Kuala Lumpur.

Att!
The add above hs changed! I hv sent the letter immediately after i knew that i failed to get to matri (11/04/05) tru pos laju to d add above.

However, the letter was sent back to me yesterday cos the "bahagian matri sudah pindah!" OMG!! Imagine the expression of my face when i received d letter!! :evil:

The new add:
BHGIAN MATRIKULASI
KEMENTERIAN PELAJARAN MALAYSIA.
ARAS 6-7, BLOK E15, KOMPLEKS KRJ PERSEKUTUAN PARCEL E,
PUSAT PENTADBIRAN KRJ PERSEKUTUAN,
62604 PUTRAJAYA.

HappyCat
14-04-2005, 01:48 PM
PINKPIGGY...i'm sorry that make you so mad...
so they have change the new address, thank you very much for being informed others. :D

PINKPIGGY
14-04-2005, 02:04 PM
HappyCat, it's not yr fault! :)

I got d add fr d "kad akuan penerimaan" fr the matrculation department! I just hope that other recomers will not do d same mistake! :oops:

HappyCat
15-04-2005, 09:34 AM
i thought the information given by newspaper is always correct.
but now, they give the wrong address for matriculation... :?
hmm...i won't believe blindly what's newspaper write in future.

Gabriel
15-04-2005, 01:33 PM
well,actually i'm selected for the matriculation,but now i'm studying in one of the IPTS,so i was thinking of giving up IPTS and go to matric,but i guess i'm changing my mind after seeing your comments.i hope i'm doing the right thing. :roll:

HappyCat
15-04-2005, 02:33 PM
well,actually i'm selected for the matriculation,but now i'm studying in one of the IPTS,so i was thinking of giving up IPTS and go to matric,but i guess i'm changing my mind after seeing your comments.i hope i'm doing the right thing. :roll:
as long as you have make a decision, believe yourself. :wink:
all the best for you! :D

Gabriel
15-04-2005, 04:58 PM
as long as you have make a decision, believe yourself. :wink:
all the best for you! :D

thank you,but i still doubt in myself.This is because i actually have financial problems,dunno whether my decision will trouble my family or not..... :roll:

lzyee
15-04-2005, 05:29 PM
hello .
i "was" a maticulation student. yesterday was the last day i stay there. haha .completed the programme liao!!
for stpm students, pls dont blame us too much...actually we were
studying the same things as you all do. we read STPM books too.
maybe ur STPM questions are more difficult , but you gotta know we learn all in 10 months only!
besides, the number of students get 4 falt in last semestar exam
drop more than 50% too.......i think that's cause by we were learning in english .

reign226
15-04-2005, 08:43 PM
yeah, STPM straight A scorers also dropped by more than 50% despite a 20% increase in the total number of students. It's supposedly a product of our dear government's efforts to 'creatively eliminate' the problem of over-application of Medical courses as seen in 2004.

I had hoped that the introduction of the MMSAT would alleviate the need for statistical forgery but that seems to not be the case. Oh well, at least now they can go back to slowly increasing the passing-rate/straight-A scorer again to reflect the wonderful success of our national education policy.

Did I mention I'm a huge cynic?

USSDefiantNX74205
15-04-2005, 10:53 PM
hello .
i "was" a maticulation student. yesterday was the last day i stay there. haha .completed the programme liao!!
maybe ur STPM questions are more difficult , but you gotta know we learn all in 10 months only!
drop more than 50% too.......i think that's cause by we were learning in english .

If you seriously think that matriks students are 'studying the same things as you all do' then I am really speechless.

gohweihan
16-04-2005, 01:02 AM
hello .

You may read STPM books, but it doesn't matter. During my STPM, I read Russian translated books. So it really boils down to this. We think STPM books alone are not enough, so we go for other higher level books, and you think STPM books are something that is extra that you need to read in Matriculation to cover your syllabus. So what are you trying to prove?

Secondly, the number of people scoring 4.00 also dropped for STPM, and this percentage tally with that of STPM, like reign226 said.

Thirdly, you may have only ten months. But ten months to prepare for an examination which is dubious in standards and integrity. So you do the math. Like I've said countless times, burden of proof to these people is to prove that matriculation is indeed equal to or better than STPM. And I mean proof, not just arguments like what's being posted so far.

Finally, we don't blame you. We blame the government for purposely giving away ten percent of places and attracting the selfish group of non-bumiputeras who would go for this unfair advantage in order to gain a place through the backdoor into public universities. And it is people like you who come out and say matriculation is good, which gives us (those who are fighting for equal opportunities in education) more problems. So here we're left in a situation where there are non-bumiputeras who support this program, and therefore with that support, matriculation is here to stay because the government could probably harp on people like you to support them in representing the voice of the non-bumiputeras.

That's a quick political analysis for you - think about it.

reign226
16-04-2005, 05:32 AM
I also heard their exams are university-like, meaning 3 months later, you can forget what you have learnt for the previous three months and concentrate on the next semester, unlike STPM where you have to learn the entire damn thing and have a gamble hoping your favourite questions will come out.

littlebigone
16-04-2005, 05:45 AM
eh...that's not necessarily true with university exams. Some courses are pre-requisites for later courses and they do expect you to have the knowledge.

I've taken a course during my sophomore year and have it as a pre-req in a junior course. When the material from the other course was tested...sigh...i koyak.

reign226
16-04-2005, 11:32 AM
i know that's what happens in university, but I said university-like. Have you seen the matrix/STPM syllabus? It's sometimes very compartmentalized. A perfect example is Physics. Those learning Kinematics and Circular Motion will in the next semester forget about it and concentrate on Electricity and Magnetism. Also, the early chapters of Maths T deals with differentiation and stuff, and the later parts are all graphs and probabilities. So in the case of semester-type exams, they can benefit. Erm, get what I mean?

Gabriel
18-04-2005, 12:54 PM
hello .

You may read STPM books, but it doesn't matter. During my STPM, I read Russian translated books. So it really boils down to this. We think STPM books alone are not enough, so we go for other higher level books, and you think STPM books are something that is extra that you need to read in Matriculation to cover your syllabus. So what are you trying to prove?

Secondly, the number of people scoring 4.00 also dropped for STPM, and this percentage tally with that of STPM, like reign226 said.

Thirdly, you may have only ten months. But ten months to prepare for an examination which is dubious in standards and integrity. So you do the math. Like I've said countless times, burden of proof to these people is to prove that matriculation is indeed equal to or better than STPM. And I mean proof, not just arguments like what's being posted so far.

Finally, we don't blame you. We blame the government for purposely giving away ten percent of places and attracting the selfish group of non-bumiputeras who would go for this unfair advantage in order to gain a place through the backdoor into public universities. And it is people like you who come out and say matriculation is good, which gives us (those who are fighting for equal opportunities in education) more problems. So here we're left in a situation where there are non-bumiputeras who support this program, and therefore with that support, matriculation is here to stay because the government could probably harp on people like you to support them in representing the voice of the non-bumiputeras.

That's a quick political analysis for you - think about it.

hey brother,
don't you think you are a bit aggressive?
you sounds like treating every matric students your enemies....you seem like talking down to all those matriculation students...you may hurt others....try to be nice...went to form six should't be a burden to you,it was just another colouring in your life... :)

gohweihan
18-04-2005, 04:00 PM
hey brother,
don't you think you are a bit aggressive?
you sounds like treating every matric students your enemies....you seem like talking down to all those matriculation students...you may hurt others....try to be nice...went to form six should't be a burden to you,it was just another colouring in your life... :)

Well, when there are people who go into matriculation and coming out thinking that it's equal to STPM whatsoever, it's time to snap some reality into them.

Not that I'm being aggressive or whatsoever, but it's analysis. And all that I've posted are mere analysis. If there are people not satisfied or have a different opinion, try to post them as well. Then we can see which one stands better.

To just give simple reasons, like the one I replied to before, that shows that people from matriculation, or who support matriculation still could not come out with a valid analysis and concrete proof of the absolute standard of matriculation being the same, if not better than STPM.

I'm not against matriculation students - I am against the system. When people join the system, then it's just that they are in the system that I am against. And when they defend that, I have to defend my views as well.

PINKPIGGY
18-04-2005, 04:10 PM
Hey guys!

Just now i called up the matri department to checked whether they hv received my appeal letter, this is what theri reply (in malay):

"We receive thousands of appeal letter everyday! We hvn't key in the data in computer. We'll only do it after counting them. :?: :?:
Checked with us in the end of May, bout 25-30th may!"

i thought we can checked whether we r offered a 2nd chance on that date? (25-30th may) I just want to checked whether my letter is received or not! :evil:

I m scared that i wil loose this chance AGAIN! :oops: Seems like how they handle these letter is not so good!!??

Gabriel
18-04-2005, 04:59 PM
i'm just wondering,why there are people wanting to get into matri while there are people going against it?
Now,i'm facing a dilemma,whether to get into Matriculation or not?
well,before anyone criticizes anything,let me state my views.
First of all,let's look at STPM and Matriculation,both are the ways into local u,just that STPM stands another chance to go IPTS or overseas.For me,matriculation will be a "shortcut"or assurance to get into local uni.i dunno whether i'm right or not,but since there's a shortcut,then why don't you go for it?your final goal is achieving your dreams right?then,if you are assured of your dream,then why don't grab the chance?as long as your dream comes true,who cares which pre u did you sit for?besides,you are not using the illegal way,aren't you?
nevertheless,the studies in the uni itself that counts,isn't it?only the basic is different,but then in the end,the graduates will still be the productions of the particular uni.whether you are from STPM or Matriculation,you still need to cope with the studies inside the uni,just that for the Matriculation students,you might feel the gap at first,but as long as you are a hardworking student,you will still be able to score good grades.
what i want to bring out here is,like traveling from Miri,Sarawak to Kuching Sarawak,you can either use the plane or the bus,but in the end you will still reach Kuching right?the difference lays in the method you use,but the goal is still the same.

petertok
18-04-2005, 05:29 PM
Hey guys!

Just now i called up the matri department to checked whether they hv received my appeal letter, this is what theri reply (in malay):

"We receive thousands of appeal letter everyday! We hvn't key in the data in computer. We'll only do it after counting them. :?: :?:

i thought we can checked whether we r offered a 2nd chance on that date? (25-30th may) I just want to checked whether my letter is received or not! :evil:

I m scared that i wil loose this chance AGAIN! :oops: Seems like how they handle these letter is not so good!!??

I thought matriculation starts on 16th may ?

yiyi
18-04-2005, 06:07 PM
Ya,right stpm study more but for matriks jst the surface of the water and also the standard is lower than stpm.but do consider after your stpm if u enter local Uni for the first year u won't find it hard cause most of if jst refering back to f6 but as for matriculation students they seems to face a lot of trouble to struggle to catch up as they are fresh in all of it.So what i wish to said is taking matriculation can't be considered as chicken!!!!At least not chicken!!they too still face the same trouble struggling after going to Uni.So let jst say both stpm and also matriks hv their good and bad depend on which angle we are looking through it.matriks actually helps a lot especially the tuition fee for f6 is burden!!!!craved to get money for tuition and f6 books i guess matiks will be the best choice.but if u are intended to go overseas then stpm.Do consider well b4 u take any decision...... good decision :arrow: good future
wrong decision :arrow: sorry for u,but still can hv a go :D lives never ends if u don't gv up

feliciafarm
18-04-2005, 06:27 PM
Hey guys!

I thought matriculation starts on 16th may ?
Ya ...ya ..ya .the matric starts on 16th May .Btw if anyone evr rejects the offer in matric there's the chance for PINKPIGGY .The second intake's usually 1week or so after the first intake. So PINKPIGGY dun giv up :D !Cheer up!!! :)

reign226
18-04-2005, 08:56 PM
Ya,right stpm study more but for matriks jst the surface of the water and also the standard is lower than stpm.but do consider after your stpm if u enter local Uni for the first year u won't find it hard cause most of if jst refering back to f6 but as for matriculation students they seems to face a lot of trouble to struggle to catch up as they are fresh in all of it.

the main problem (some say injustice) is that what matters is GETTING into the Uni. What good is learning more than Matrix/having an easier Freshmen year, when we have to compete with tons of matrix students and face the prospect of not getting admitted/admitted into an undesired course?

and the claim that STPM students are just revising their Upper Six during Freshmen is not a very reasonable argument. If we had a choice, I am sure a lot of people would gladly not learn the extra stuff we did in Upper Six in exchange for a shorter duration of Form Six. It's not something we want, but something the system forces to choke on.

lzyee
18-04-2005, 09:36 PM
aiya....i got a big problem now.i received a letter from UTM asking me to go for interview (degree in seni bina).but i dont want go UTM to do architecture.I prefer USM by the way..
so it means if i go for interview(UTM) and success in the interview,i don't have chance to have a seat in USM anymore . what should i do

gohweihan
18-04-2005, 09:45 PM
i'm just wondering,why there are people wanting to get into matri while there are people going against it?
First of all,let's look at STPM and Matriculation,both are the ways into local u,just that STPM stands another chance to go IPTS or overseas.For me,matriculation will be a "shortcut"or assurance to get into local uni.i dunno whether i'm right or not,but since there's a shortcut,then why don't you go for it?your final goal is achieving your dreams right?then,if you are assured of your dream,then why don't grab the chance?as long as your dream comes true,who cares which pre u did you sit for?besides,you are not using the illegal way,aren't you?
nevertheless,the studies in the uni itself that counts,isn't it?only the basic is different,but then in the end,the graduates will still be the productions of the particular uni.whether you are from STPM or Matriculation,you still need to cope with the studies inside the uni,just that for the Matriculation students,you might feel the gap at first,but as long as you are a hardworking student,you will still be able to score good grades.
what i want to bring out here is,like traveling from Miri,Sarawak to Kuching Sarawak,you can either use the plane or the bus,but in the end you will still reach Kuching right?the difference lays in the method you use,but the goal is still the same.

Well, the problem actually is not about whether who studies more, or which is harder, but the actual issue here is political.

Let me first describe the situation to you. In the beginning, there is only one way for students to enter university - the High School Certificate, or better known as HSC. Somewhere down the line, the government introduced two systems of entry into public universities - the HSC (later renamed to STPM), and the matriculation colleges.

Matriculation colleges were established to take in only bumiputeras. It's mission was to allow more bumiputeras the chance for higher education via an easier, focused pre-university course in view of their academic capabilities in general at time of introduction.

However, the standards of education in these colleges were of dubious nature. This is due to the nature of examinations and assesments, all of which are conducted internally. The added suspicion that matriculation is not of similar standards to the HSC was further fueled when bumiputeras from matriculation find university education in the first year way harder than the HSC students.

Besides this, there was another issue at hand - that of a quota for bumiputeras to be in university. The issue here is that there is a fifty percent quota for bumiputeras, of which most, if not all are from matriculation, and find first year university studies hard. Therefore, the argument went along the line of if these people find university education hard, and so many qualify, then there must be a problem somewhere. This problem is pinpointed to matriculation, and the quota. There are people who believe that the capable should be given the chance, and those not capable would have to do so with none.

So this pressure had gone on for a long time, until recently when the government equates the standard of matriculation with that of STPM, and openly declared meritocracy for university entry. This caused an uproar among all non-bumiputeras (and the DAP) because we are now having a dual standard in university entry (one of which is one of the world's hardest, and the other dubious in nature), and these two standards would be made the same on the scale without any real scaling being done to either absolute standards.

The result of that was more than 60% of bumiputeras qualify for public universities since the introduction of meritocracy - something which the non-bumiputeras are crying foul because right now, they are competing on a very unfair advantage. For the non-bumiputeras, they want true meritocracy, not this fake meritocracy which benefits only the bumiputeras.

Then, the government made a move by opening up ten percent of places in matriculation colleges to non-bumiputeras. It managed to silence some, but not all critics. For those who still struggle, it is due to one reason - that this is merely a political move.

Right after the government opened matriculation colleges for all, non-bumiputeras who went in, got good results (due to the lower standards which was obtained by comparing their syllabus with STPM), and came out, started praising and worshipping matriculation. The critics sees this as some weapon the government have to stop them, because when you have non-bumiputeras supporting matriculation, you could easily twist and use them to represent the whole non-bumiputera population (either via the media or some other ways). This is how politics is played.

So what they (and I) are struggling for in this case is for matriculation to be abolished, so that we see one fair way of entering public universities.

Right now, we see more matriculation graduates getting the better courses (and even just university places) because of the ease of getting good scores there. This number is here to stay, and as a result of direct comparison, many more STPM students would be left out of university because they cannot compete under this unfair system. If you were to recall, 90% of matriculation are bumiputeras.

The idea is simple - if you cannot get into university, it doesn't matter if you can cope or not because ultimately you would have no chance of a public university degree.

Whenever a non-bumiputera enters matriculation, it only strengthens it's existence.

gohweihan
18-04-2005, 09:53 PM
aiya....i got a big problem now.i received a letter from UTM asking me to go for interview (degree in seni bina).but i dont want go UTM to do architecture.I prefer USM by the way..
so it means if i go for interview(UTM) and success in the interview,i don't have chance to have a seat in USM anymore . what should i do

You could reject it, then after STPM, go for USM.

bush
18-04-2005, 10:04 PM

Well, the problem actually is not about whether who studies more, or which is harder, but the actual issue here is political.

Let me first describe the situation to you. In the beginning, there is only one way for students to enter university - the High School Certificate, or better known as HSC. Somewhere down the line, the government introduced two systems of entry into public universities - the HSC (later renamed to STPM), and the matriculation colleges.

Matriculation colleges were established to take in only bumiputeras. It's mission was to allow more bumiputeras the chance for higher education via an easier, focused pre-university course in view of their academic capabilities in general at time of introduction.

However, the standards of education in these colleges were of dubious nature. This is due to the nature of examinations and assesments, all of which are conducted internally. The added suspicion that matriculation is not of similar standards to the HSC was further fueled when bumiputeras from matriculation find university education in the first year way harder than the HSC students.

Besides this, there was another issue at hand - that of a quota for bumiputeras to be in university. The issue here is that there is a fifty percent quota for bumiputeras, of which most, if not all are from matriculation, and find first year university studies hard. Therefore, the argument went along the line of if these people find university education hard, and so many qualify, then there must be a problem somewhere. This problem is pinpointed to matriculation, and the quota. There are people who believe that the capable should be given the chance, and those not capable would have to do so with none.

So this pressure had gone on for a long time, until recently when the government equates the standard of matriculation with that of STPM, and openly declared meritocracy for university entry. This caused an uproar among all non-bumiputeras (and the DAP) because we are now having a dual standard in university entry (one of which is one of the world's hardest, and the other dubious in nature), and these two standards would be made the same on the scale without any real scaling being done to either absolute standards.

The result of that was more than 60% of bumiputeras qualify for public universities since the introduction of meritocracy - something which the non-bumiputeras are crying foul because right now, they are competing on a very unfair advantage. For the non-bumiputeras, they want true meritocracy, not this fake meritocracy which benefits only the bumiputeras.

Then, the government made a move by opening up ten percent of places in matriculation colleges to non-bumiputeras. It managed to silence some, but not all critics. For those who still struggle, it is due to one reason - that this is merely a political move.

Right after the government opened matriculation colleges for all, non-bumiputeras who went in, got good results (due to the lower standards which was obtained by comparing their syllabus with STPM), and came out, started praising and worshipping matriculation. The critics sees this as some weapon the government have to stop them, because when you have non-bumiputeras supporting matriculation, you could easily twist and use them to represent the whole non-bumiputera population (either via the media or some other ways). This is how politics is played.

So what they (and I) are struggling for in this case is for matriculation to be abolished, so that we see one fair way of entering public universities.

Right now, we see more matriculation graduates getting the better courses (and even just university places) because of the ease of getting good scores there. This number is here to stay, and as a result of direct comparison, many more STPM students would be left out of university because they cannot compete under this unfair system. If you were to recall, 90% of matriculation are bumiputeras.

The idea is simple - if you cannot get into university, it doesn't matter if you can cope or not because ultimately you would have no chance of a public university degree.

Whenever a non-bumiputera enters matriculation, it only strengthens it's existence.

agreed...........Matriculation is just a course to help people get into university whatever the cost.......STPM is there to make sure malaysia has one of the toughest exams in the world, thougher than the Gold-standard A-levels. What big hypocracy.

lzyee
18-04-2005, 10:21 PM
i have completed matric liao...now will enter university(degree)....
which university offer better architecture?USM or UTM?

PINKPIGGY
19-04-2005, 12:49 PM
lzyee:

i have completed matric liao...now will enter university(degree)....
which university offer better architecture?USM or UTM?

:oops: Can u share yr exp in matri? How's the facilities? What r the rules? How is the study environment?...............

Thanks 4 yr reply!

Gabriel
19-04-2005, 02:21 PM
yeah,agree with that,share with us your life in matri,let us know more...rather than just guesing around here.

byzhanii_bogn
20-04-2005, 05:11 PM
don't blame the politics, do not blame the government. and nope, i'm not much of a patriotic guy too. so we all agreed that a product of matrix is by far not as good as those of stpm. let me share this info with you. 3 years ago, matrix wasn't opened for non-bumis, so my sis wasn't qualified for it. she didn't get jpa either, so she did form 6, scoring 3 As and 1 B, currently doing science with education in UM, majoring in mathematics, along with dozens other malays from matrix. those malays from matrix majoring in chamistry even scored 4 flats in uni, meaning they got first class. and dude, that's UM! even those from stpm majoring in chem need to consult them. so, what are you going to say? a product of matrix is not as bad as you think they are.

second thing, do not blame the government for opening 10% to non-bumis. do alwasy remember that malaysia is a muslim country. it's stated in the perlembagaan 46 years ago that malays and bumis mempunyai hak-hak keistimewaan. what are you trying to imply here? that we should change the perlembagaan? no shite dude, blame yourself being a malaysian. might as well go and worship singapore and become a singaporean instead. malaysia doesn't need people like such.

again, i'm not mad. i'm just not satisfied with some comments. since matrix opens 10% for non bumis this year, might as well we non- bumis strive for it right? after all it's one way of securing a seat in the local uni right? it's just a matter of time, either u spend 15 months in form six, or u strive in matrix for as long as 10 months only. again, only.

now, look from this view. do you actually know that most of the chinese doing medicine in UM are from matrix? would you question their capabilities? they manage to make it to UM, it's not any calang-calang uni.

whether or not you get matrix, what i think is, it's one of your options after spm. you may get petronas, u may get shell, bnm, telekom, even jpa, or you do form 6, otherwise there's matrix, if you look down upon local unis, might as well go overseas, be it scholarships or F&M.

i'm damn glad if i could manage a matrix. but i don't think those coming out from matrix do really "worship" it. it's a fact. it is true that it's an easier path to enter local uni. take my sis's words, if you want to do medcine in UM or any other local uni, go through matrix. otherwise, you can sell you house, your lands, your cars... pay through IMU. that's what i want to say.

do not condemn those non-bumis who got matrix. it's not their fault. it's not a political issue. it's the policy. it's the law. it's the perlembagaan. you have no power to change that. you're born here, you have to obey.

thank you. have a nice day everybody
all the best to those shortlisted for jpa interview,
congrates to those who won matrix.

gohweihan
20-04-2005, 10:20 PM
hmmm... there's a mad guy in here blaming the government for nothing. thinking that he secured the toughest course in nanyang is a great thing, and that he's a product of stpm, looking down upon those who went into matrix, honestly, that sucks big time. i honestly do think he's not satisfied he's not selected for matrix, am i right?

I take it that you're refering to me. But the thing is, contrary to what you say, I do not look down on people who go into matrix - I look down on the system. It's just too bad that people in matriculation feel that way.

By the way, I'm not eligible for matriculation because it wasn't the policy during my pre-university days (my batch should be the same batch as your sister's). However, even if it was open at that time and I'm eligible, I would never apply for it. I would rather give my life than to select matriculation over STPM.

And as for not satisfied, I have no reason to be not satisfied. I was offered my first choice in a Malaysian public university after STPM - what else more could I ask for? Even if (in the non-existent chance) I'm in matriculation, it would be the same first choice, so no big deal here.

You claim that there's nothing about the goverment to be blamed. After reading your whole post, I find nothing concrete supporting this statement.

And by the way, I did not in any way had the intention to imply that getting into Nanyang Technological University (and my course) is a great thing. There are 120 more Malaysians in my entrance batch, so it's not big of a deal.

don't blame the politics, do not blame the government. and nope, i'm not much of a patriotic guy too.

This is exactly what the government wants - people who do not want to blame the goverment for what the government do. They don't care if you're not patriotic. Just supportive of the government and Barisan Nasional is enough.

so we all agreed that a product of matrix is by far not as good as those of stpm.

This is not a proven fact. However, based on arguments so far, it seems that way.

let me share this info with you. 3 years ago, matrix wasn't opened for non-bumis, so my sis wasn't qualified for it. she didn't get jpa either, so she did form 6, scoring 3 As and 1 B, currently doing science with education in UM, majoring in mathematics, along with dozens other malays from matrix. those malays from matrix majoring in chamistry even scored 4 flats in uni, meaning they got first class. and dude, that's UM! even those from stpm majoring in chem need to consult them. so, what are you going to say? a product of matrix is not as bad as you think they are.

Just one question - is your sister's course her first choice, or one of the eight choices, or just a random one?

And contrary to what you stated, I've heard many stories about matriculation students (Malays especially) going into medicine and dropping out one year later in UKM. So which story holds true - the one from you, or the one from my seniors?

By the way, look at the bigger picture. UM is nowhere compared to universities like NUS, even in the field of science. And if you try to apply for NTU or NUS with matriculation, they'll dump your application in the bin. So much for matriculation's standard.

Also, it's not so much about scoring in university. It's more about gaining entry. If it's easier to get a higher GPA in matriculation, it means it's easier to qualify for university from matriculation. It is therefore useless to compare results in university, since the idea is more of getting into university for the course of one's choice.

This is all actually my basis for arguing against matriculation - the easier scoring of higher GPA plus a questionable assesment standard for the entire course.

second thing, do not blame the government for opening 10% to non-bumis.

It's either I blame the greedy bunch of people who wants to get into university even if it jeopardises the future of non-bumiputeras, or I blame the government with the reasons I posted so far. I choose the latter.

Unless you can convince me that blaming the government is the wrong thing to do, I think there's no reason to change the way I think.

do alwasy remember that malaysia is a muslim country.

Malaysia is not a muslim country - Read the constitution properly. It is a democratic monarchy.

it's stated in the perlembagaan 46 years ago that malays and bumis mempunyai hak-hak keistimewaan. what are you trying to imply here? that we should change the perlembagaan?

Yes. The constitution needs to be changed. It's a matter of when, not if.

no shite dude, blame yourself being a malaysian. might as well go and worship singapore and become a singaporean instead. malaysia doesn't need people like such.

No, it's the government that doesn't need people like me. I've considered to change my citizenship before, but decided not to because this is my country after all, and I don't run away from problems. By the way, I do not worship Singapore. If you were to study their implementation of education policies (which I am doing for my minor) like the TSLN, you'll find that most of them are better than that of Malaysia. I'm just supporting a better system.

since matrix opens 10% for non bumis this year, might as well we non- bumis strive for it right? after all it's one way of securing a seat in the local uni right? it's just a matter of time, either u spend 15 months in form six, or u strive in matrix for as long as 10 months only. again, only.

You've probably read my post on why I say this is a political move.

By the way, it's not about duration. One system is an easier to score system within a shorter duration, which equates to higher chances of securing a place in university. The other is one of the toughest exams in the world, with less chance of scoring as good as matriculation (on the average level), thus harder to gain entry into university. It's not a matter of time, it's a matter of if someone can get into university.

now, look from this view. do you actually know that most of the chinese doing medicine in UM are from matrix? would you question their capabilities? they manage to make it to UM, it's not any calang-calang uni.

I'm taking it that you're talking about your sister's batch which are the first to compete with non-bumiputera matriculation students.

Once again, I would admit that UM is not a low standard university in Malaysia, but please look at the bigger picture and compare it globally. Malaysia cannot compete with themselves anymore, they need to compete with the world. UM is way below the scale compared to universities like NUS and IIT.

By the way, like I've said, it's easier to score high in matriculation. And since almost half of top scorers in matriculation for your sister's batch are non-bumiputeras, I'm not surprised anyway.

whether or not you get matrix, what i think is, it's one of your options after spm. you may get petronas, u may get shell, bnm, telekom, even jpa, or you do form 6, otherwise there's matrix, if you look down upon local unis, might as well go overseas, be it scholarships or F&M.

I don't see any logic in this statement. You get into a pre-university course with hopes of being able to compete for a place in public universities. Matriculation does not allow fair competition, or at least tries to drive people away from thinking about fair competition and only think about their selfish gains.

By the way, I've set my mind on Singapore ever since this stupid policy of equating matriculation and STPM was made. And it would be done even if I did not get a scholarship.

i'm damn glad if i could manage a matrix. but i don't think those coming out from matrix do really "worship" it. it's a fact. it is true that it's an easier path to enter local uni. take my sis's words, if you want to do medcine in UM or any other local uni, go through matrix. otherwise, you can sell you house, your lands, your cars... pay through IMU. that's what i want to say.

I did not say every non-bumiputera who came out from matriculation would worship it. Maybe people like you wouldn't, but for one person who would not do so, tens or hundreds more are willing to do so.

And what your sister said was correct, but did you think why she said that? Isn't it obvious that it is easier to get better scores in matriculation, for if it is not, she wouldn't be making that comment in view of the situation in which to qualify for medicine, you need GPA 4.00.

If that's the message you want to let people know, then you're leading the non-bumiputeras to their doom in the future.

do not condemn those non-bumis who got matrix. it's not their fault.

Like I've said, I condemn the sytem, not the people. And if it's not their fault for getting into matriculation, then who's fault is it? The government forcing them into matriculation?

After all, it's about greed, isn't it? Easier entry into public universities is just too tempting - even if it places the future of non-bumiputeras in jeopardy.

it's not a political issue. it's the policy. it's the law. it's the perlembagaan. you have no power to change that. you're born here, you have to obey.

I feel that you probably know nothing about politics when you make the statement about this not being a political issue but a policy.

Policies are tied to politics - after all, it's the government and politicians who draft out policies and implement them.

About the law and constitution, let me as you this - if you're asked to skin a cat because the law requires you to do so, and the constitution states that you must do so, do you follow it? Do you do what is ethical, or do you do what the constitution says?

If you do what the constitution says, then you're nothing but a coward who lets the constitution dictates what you have to do. In my example, it's to skin a cat. And in Malaysia's case, it's to shut up.

The clear fact is that the constitution and law is directly against equality and non-discrimation. And it's these two things that we are struggling for in a bid for equal rights.

And just because I'm born here doesn't mean that I have to be a slave to the system. The system is created by men, and unless you're saying that we (i.e. those not in politics) are a level below those in politics, then we do have a say in what the system should be - after all, it's our country, not the government's. And we do have rights in trying to change it - it's called elections.

About power and obeying - I can choose not to obey, but I would just have to go somewhere else while I cannot do anything, which I am doing right now. And I am aware that now, I may not be able to change anything for now, but who knows what the future holds.

By then, I'll just have to see where your loyalty lies.

The fact is people like you wants everything easy - but you don't realize that good things don't come easy.

And by the way, the concept of matriculation and higher education in Malaysia violates the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights Article 26(1), which states

Everyone has the right to education. Education shall be free, at least in the elementary and fundamental stages. Elementary education shall be compulsory. Technical and professional education shall be made generally available and higher education shall be equally accessible to all on the basis of merit.

Meritocracy in Malaysia is a farce.

zAiTsEv
20-04-2005, 10:57 PM
I think I smell personal attack in byzhanii_bogn's post.

lzyee
20-04-2005, 11:02 PM
in matric kedah......everything is ok but not the lecturers...they are too young ..(most are only 6/7 years older than us)...so faham-faham la
for other matric..sorry i dont know

yiyi
20-04-2005, 11:14 PM
in matric kedah......everything is ok but not the lecturers...they are too young ..(most are only 6/7 years older than us)...so faham-faham la
i guess they are quilified to teach.......i am going there soon.......gosh......how abt the life there,can go out everyday or jst weekend?

HappyCat
21-04-2005, 09:13 AM
i heard my seniors said that some of the lecturers in matrics were secondary school's teachers.

byzhanii_bogn
21-04-2005, 10:43 AM
I think I smell personal attack in byzhanii_bogn's post.

thanks zAi...

byzhanii_bogn
21-04-2005, 10:55 AM
just to someone who think otherwise

what should you care if malaysian education is not fair? u're already overseas. we lived here, and we're obliged to follow everything. even if we vote against BN, what would happend? the education system of malaysia is way below standard, there's no doubt to that.

and about greed, it's your say whatever it is that's with us non-bumis who applied for it. it's your own stupidity if you don't want to apply for it. we're given 10% chance, of course we'll fight for it.

and mind you, there are those who wants matrix. those whe WANTS it won't go against it. only those who think they're way beyond the standard of matrix condemn it. if you're to criticize malaysian education system, might as well set up your own thread elsewhere and blame the government for not abolishing the whole system totally.

UM for long have been the top uni in malaysia. who cares if your NUS is among the top 100 unis in the world? UM also manages that. and where does nanyang stands? it's not a matter of how smart you are if you managed it to nanyang, but it does shows the status of the student from UM amongst us MALAYSIAN. and do mind, NUS WAS a campus of UM before.

that's all that i want to say.
i'm not angry, nor that i'm mad, i'm happy i'm here. even a British tourist who chated to me last night said it's a great city.
have a nice day everybody!

friendly
21-04-2005, 02:42 PM

I really appreciate the informations that you gave us as a senior... Just wanna ask some more questions since you are a senior... you said everything is ok... how about the food? What kind of food do they have there? Is it just spicy food? Do they have non-halal food? :D :) :wink: Hope you could tell us more about your experiences there... 8) :P

gohweihan
21-04-2005, 04:00 PM
just to someone who think otherwise

what should you care if malaysian education is not fair? u're already overseas.

I am overseas, yes. But Malaysia is my nation, and I care about it's education system because it is tied to the future of my nation - unlike those who choose only to think of their personal gains.

we lived here, and we're obliged to follow everything.

If you're obliged to follow everything, then are you implying that you are a slave to the system and have no choice in determining your own future? Are you also implying that you must do what the government asks you to do, when they ask - and not question what is right and what is wrong?

even if we vote against BN, what would happend? the education system of malaysia is way below standard, there's no doubt to that.

Whether you vote for the opposition or BN, that's your choice. But the thing is this - if you vote for BN just because they ask you to vote for them, then I don't want to reply intelligently to you anymore. I'd rather just ridicule you to my heart's content.

However, if you think that nothing could change, then you're either just too complacent (i.e. lazy) to help in the struggle for equality, or you think BN as a government is good enough.

About Malaysia's education being of a low standard compared to other nations like the UK and Singapore, it's about time you admit it.

and about greed, it's your say whatever it is that's with us non-bumis who applied for it. it's your own stupidity if you don't want to apply for it. we're given 10% chance, of course we'll fight for it.

When your children ask you why is there matriculation and Form Six, and why only ten percent are open to non-bumiputeras, what are you going to tell them? That bumiputeras are special?

And when they ask you why, how are you going to answer that?

The point is, now you're saying that you'll fight for the places. Ten years time, you'll be telling your children that they are second class citizens. If you want your child to live that way, then so be it. I know I can't bear to tell my children that, so at the very least I'm doing my part for the future generation.

You, on the other hand, don't even care about the future.

and mind you, there are those who wants matrix. those whe WANTS it won't go against it.

Agreed, unless they're hypocrites.

only those who think they're way beyond the standard of matrix condemn it.

Well, not so. Try asking those people on the street about matriculation (also known as Malays' pre-university to ease explanation) and most probably you'll get the answer that it is inequal in standards. So it's the general non-bumiputera who looks down on matriculation, not just those who thinks that they are better than matriculation.

if you're to criticize malaysian education system, might as well set up your own thread elsewhere and blame the government for not abolishing the whole system totally.

Read the title of this thread carefully - "STPM and matriks?". This whole thread is about STPM and matriculation.

UM for long have been the top uni in malaysia.

So what. It's glory days are over compared to most other universities in Asia.

who cares if your NUS is among the top 100 unis in the world? UM also manages that. and where does nanyang stands?

NUS is at 18, IIT (Indian Institute of Technology) is at 41, NTU is at 50, CUHK (Chinese University Hong Kong) is at 84, UM is at 89, and USM is at 111.

See my point? UM was a rival to NUS, but now it lags behind CUHK. Embarassing indeed. So please don't hail UM in the world arena.

it's not a matter of how smart you are if you managed it to nanyang, but it does shows the status of the student from UM amongst us MALAYSIAN.

If you keep picking on the statement about me qualifying for Nanyang in a bid to launch a personal attack, then I have nothing more to say to a kid, because you seem to only harp on what's posted, and not think for yourself the interlinked ideas. Besides, most of what you posted are mere assertions.

The status of UM graduates among Malaysians is no longer relevant in this globalised world. You need to know the status of UM graduates in the world - in competition with the other universities in the region. And it's not very good an odds so far.

If you're merely thinking in the context of Malaysia, then I have nothing to say but this - you're in a nutshell, trying to fill youself with false hopes and not wanting to accept the real world.

and do mind, NUS WAS a campus of UM before.

I just hate it when people try to sound smart without first checking their facts or at least substantiating their argument.

The current NUS campus in Kent Ridge is built in the 80s. So mind you, the NUS campus was never a campus of UM.

The one you're talking about is the University of Singapore campus which, if I'm not mistaken, is the one in Bukit Timah now being used by SMU.

And even if it is, so what? What significance is there that NUS was a campus for UM?

byzhanii_bogn
21-04-2005, 07:33 PM
to the one who think i'm a kid, that i'm in a nutshell, the one who think i'm in assertion... whoever it is, not my care 8) .

well, you yourself mentioned that this thread is on stpm and matric. students who got matric asked question about it. they're comparing between stpm and matric. we don't need someone who said he's always right that matric is low standard. we need opinions, not personal attacks on EVERY WORD I SAY!

about me telling my kids that we're second class citizen, god damn it. have you not read in your PA that constitution can never be changed? we're born here, and we'll always be a second class citizen. you can just go and threaten the agong and the majlis raja-raja to abolish the keistimewaan golongan melayu and bumiputera. and i'm starting to wonder if you do really deserve to be called a product of stpm...

have a nice day everybody. case closed

gohweihan
21-04-2005, 08:01 PM
For what it's worth, you'd better close the case. You came in, launch a personal attack against me, and when I retaliate with concrete facts, you claim that I am personally attacking you.

What I did was just disecting your analysis part by part and looking at the flaws, thus addressing it in an organized basis. If you call that personal attack, I'm not sure what to make of you.

You agree that this thread is about a comparison between matriculation and STPM. Well, the analysis I gave is just that - my opinions, analysis, evidence, and facts all point to the fact that matriculation is of a lower standard.

So if you have a different opinion, post it, and give us a better analysis. Don't just post opinions without concrete (or worse, with flawed) facts, which you did. For me, if you give me these facts, there is a one hundred percent that I would retaliate, because I know I have better facts. Whats worse, you made your first post in a direct attack against me. Any human being would be angry with that.

And even in your last post, you couldn't get your facts right about the constitution.

reign226
21-04-2005, 09:48 PM
i might as well sling add another pie into the foodfight. The Malaysian Constitution has been changed dozens of times to accomodate the needs and wishes of the political party in power. Claims that it cannot be changed is fundamentally flawed, because it can be and has been changed. You are the one who, as you yourself said, "needs to read the PA book". The problem with people (i hesitate to use the phrase 'like you' because I don't want to be confrontational.) is that they believe what the government says word for word. The world revolves around changes being made, and nothing, not especially the Constitution, is so omniscient as to escape the ravages of change.

And Matriculation might not be born out of a political need, but anybody with a modicum of intelligence can see all the manourvering by the government (10% quota, meriocrapcy system, etc) is basically all politically-influenced. Basically, the politics of this country is destroying our future generation, like a cancer. The problem with this cancer is that the government has done such a good job disguising it that many people don't even realize the problem.

I think gohweihan's (and to a certain extent, I share his views) main beef with matrix is that people are coming out and saying it's the same as STPM. To him (and me) this is an outrageous statement, and one deserving of either public mockery, embarrasment or even the silent treatment. It doesn't help them that everything they claim is of unsubstantiated facts. You might as well go to a judge and argue against a crime based only on the fact that you think you're innocent and should be released. At least he had the decency to give lip service, and at least try to get people to wake up and smell the ashes.
Also, imho, the way he 'dissected' byzhanii's post word for word is because it contains so much errors and misled facts that a general reply is inadequate. It's not a personal word-for-word attack, byt more like a personal word-for-word correction on untrue claims. AN opinion is important, but if it's made based on a cardboard-house of facts, so it's not really worth much.

Finally, it's unfair to call people like us, people who question the government but do so with solid reasoning and argument, anti-establishment. Perhaps byzhanii has been brainwashed to such an extent that any negative statements towards the government can only imply wrong doing, in which case I suggest you at least read George Orwell's 1984 then come back to discuss with us. Face it, nobody is perfect. Matriculation is one of the mistakes made by very smart but imperfect human beings. If you ask any academician and politician worth his salt, he would tell you matriculation has to go. A PAS politician also supported with doing away with matrix, and if you want the link I can get it for you.

Open your eyes. Use the twin collidial semi-hemispheres you got up north to think. Learn the truth, embrace the facts.

wendy
21-04-2005, 11:49 PM
Hey ppl............get a life would u?
i personally believe tat everyone should hav the freedom to choose their own path,,,,,,.......n he/she would have to bear the consequences of their own decisons.
for me........i choose form 6....coz there r no other choice(unless i get JPA la) .haha......hope i won't regret my choice. peace out!

aqua
22-04-2005, 12:07 AM
with this much talk bout the low quality of matric,i'm having second thoughts bout going there.yeah...i was offered a place.what i really wanna know is is it true that u can't go to overc with a matric qualification?cos i went to an edu show and they told me they accept malaysian matric n its recognised.
bout the quota thing,i welcomed the 10% quota 4 non bumis.but why does this quota thing exists anyway?i think all students regardless of race should be given a fair chance 4 a place in matric.and the term bumi n non bumis should not exist anymore.the leaders talk about globalisation but they still ask info on race n religion when filling in forms.u get the feeling that u are placed well below the list if u happen 2 be non bumi.dun get me wrong,i'm a bumi but a non muslim.that can be a sticky situation sometimes.
the reason i dont agree with this system of giving top priority 2 bumis is i've non bumi friends with excellent results but didnt get matric,whereas my bumi friend with not-so-good results got a place.not that i'm complaining,but its just unfair.i think our edu system need a shake up so bumis dont rely too much on their status 2 get a placing n the non bumis get a fair chance in the edu system.the bumis should look up 2 this as a challenge and prove what they've got 2 make their mark in this world.

no offence intended,these are all my personal views.

lzyee
22-04-2005, 09:34 AM
hello all, sorry i wish i can reply faster but ....nvm
in matric, all the food are halal , be more understanding la...90% of the students are muslim. howver, there are 4 cafe in matric kedah that offer food..but i myself don't like thier food. ...they seem don't like vegetable....bring fruit to college la if u want.
the facilities in matric kedah are very good..at least much more better than my secondary school...but for other matric, i'm not so sure as matric kedah was built 2 years ago (new)..so well use of them!
the lecturers there have the same qualification to the teachers in secondary schools (most are degree holders)
the are a few chinese lecturers in the matric...so try to see them if u are in hot water...i think they will be kind enough to help u. and even many malay lecturers are very helpful too
the most important thing....don't look down at matric...(i used to)
because it is very hard too..every thing is new but u gotta learn it in very short time. my roommate, a straight A's holder.....get only 2.__ pointer in the 1st semester....
anyway...good luck and all the best to u !

PINKPIGGY
22-04-2005, 12:01 PM
Thanks, lyzee 4 sharing yr exp! :oops:

Gabriel
22-04-2005, 01:39 PM
ok guys,cut it off...our topic here is supposed to post opinions about STPM and Matrics.Besides,also give some more practical advices to those who are choosing between STPM and Matrics,not confusing them.

gohweihan
22-04-2005, 04:33 PM
don't look down at matric...(i used to)
because it is very hard too..every thing is new but u gotta learn it in very short time. my roommate, a straight A's holder.....get only 2.__ pointer in the 1st semester....

Alright, if you claim matriculation is hard, let's put it this way - compared to what? The idea is that you learn new things, but so does the people in STPM. You may have a shorter duration of time, but your examinations are semester based - meaning that you virtually forget everything you learn for the past semester, not like STPM whereas you study the whole book and count your blessings if the questions that come out are those that you can answer.

Also, if you claim your roommate, who is a straight As' student, managing to get only 2.xx, has it ever occured to you that this may not be due to matriculation at all? Could it be that her study method is wrong, or she's using the all-so-famous memorising the whole textbook approach, which doesn't quite work in pre-university level? Or could it simply be other reasons? The idea is this - she may have straight As' in SPM, but pre-university courses are different altogether. If you think SPM straight A's means pre-univeristy straight As', then you better think again.

Besides,also give some more practical advices to those who are choosing between STPM and Matrics,not confusing them.

Well, which part is confusing?

As far as the thread goes, it's divided into two aspects - the visible benefits and problems with matriculation, and the political (which is the invisible) benefits (if there is any in the first place) and problems with matriculation.

In order to let the people here make an informed choice, we need to tell them everything - the good and the bad. It's no use having a thread where people just say matriculation is good - then you're being just like the government. This is ultimately a debate to see which is better.

USSDefiantNX74205
22-04-2005, 06:30 PM
Digression: To byzhanii, I'm glad you decided to withdraw yourself from this debate. If you want to respond to someone's posts, then name the person in question. The last thing we need is for someone like you going about telling us 'someone' said this or that when we all know the identity of the person you are attacking. That to me, amounts to cowardice; not daring to stand up to your opponent directly in the face and in front of others to dispute his facts.

reign226
22-04-2005, 08:27 PM
There are a lot of moral and practical reasons why a person shouldn't choose matrix. But I wonder... if you assess the situation from a personal viewpoint, it would be foolish to turn it down if all you want is to get into local u. Hey, the system is rigged, in the same sense that all games are rigged. There's a few winners, and lots of losers. For me, the only practical reason why one should even turn it down is because STPM is more recognized, which aids if you are trying to go overseas. But if you are already rich enough to do that, then you should be rich enough to know the existence of A-Levels.

From what I can observe in my state at least, those who take STPM are either from not-so-rich families or parents who want to extort two more years out of their children before sending them overseas. Those in the latter group don't really care how their child perform anyway, because they can buy their way into the respective universities.

gohweihan
23-04-2005, 07:13 AM
This is exactly the problem facing those who wants the system to be abolished.

From an individual's viewpoint, matriculation is indeed a discounted ticket into university. However, while the outcome may benefit the individual, it is not a socially optimal outcome. It generates negative externalities like what I've posted so far, especially for the future generation.

If you compare our system to games played by professionals, they have one thing that we fail to see often - sportsmanship. If you give some of them an advantage that would make it easier for them to win a game, there is a high chance that they would choose not to use that advantage in the game, or worse, they may even boycott the game for good because they see the game as not worth playing due to it's available cheats. All I ask for is that these people who have a choice to see things and decide like how a sportsman would in his sport.

There is no rational aim from an individual's point of view to turn down matriculation. But there exist a rational aim to turn it down from society's point of view.

Anthony
24-04-2005, 07:41 AM
I am not going Form 6!!!
I have seniors who have good SPM results...
they did not get any offer in scholarships for SPm
so they tot why not go F6...
They went. The way I see them studying..whoa! respect and i tot they will be top scorers. Well they did not do good.
They got one A and rest BCD
It kinda scares me becoz after 2 years of Form six wif this result, the chances of getting in local universitys r vry dim.
I didnt get matriks.....sigh
but worst come to worst I go college lar.. but i dun have money......
anyway I will go lower six for a while to talk to my frens and juzz to join in the school frenzy!!!

reign226
24-04-2005, 08:30 AM
Well, you should be glad to know that if you take STPM, and end up with a bad result, you can still apply for direct entry into degree courses in any private college/uni. If you apply now, you will have to go through foundation, which might mean spending a lot of money right off the bat.

Also, Form Six really helps build your character. If you can survive it and stay sane, you're a made man. Don't be so hasty in jumping into the private choices. Take STPM, grow up and then take on the world.

friendly
24-04-2005, 11:04 AM
hello all, sorry i wish i can reply faster but ....nvm
in matric, all the food are halal , be more understanding la...90% of the students are muslim. howver, there are 4 cafe in matric kedah that offer food..but i myself don't like thier food. ...they seem don't like vegetable....bring fruit to college la if u want.
the facilities in matric kedah are very good..at least much more better than my secondary school...but for other matric, i'm not so sure as matric kedah was built 2 years ago (new)..so well use of them!
the lecturers there have the same qualification to the teachers in secondary schools (most are degree holders)
the are a few chinese lecturers in the matric...so try to see them if u are in hot water...i think they will be kind enough to help u. and even many malay lecturers are very helpful too
the most important thing....don't look down at matric...(i used to)
anyway...good luck and all the best to u !

Oh, thanks so much for the info... So in the end which uni did you choose? :roll: 8O :D

sengki
26-04-2005, 01:40 PM
People with money, use thet money, go study somewhere and be a useful person.

Those without money, wait....

If you get matric, go for it. There's no use debating about it's quality and fairness, it is happening here. I am equally disappointed with the education system over here but fact is, when you don't go with the flow, you'll drift away.

If you don't get matric, gamble with everything you have, plead for a place there. I'm not trying to say that matric is good, it is horrible, horrendous and unfair, but just make the best out of it.

If you still cannot get matric, the hey! Look at the bright side! In F6, you can get the best source of knowledge there. Don't care about the thickness of their books, the load of things you have to stuff into your brain, what matters is your enthusiasm to learn and your willingness do do what it takes to get what you want.

By the way, I'm a matric student, a chinese, and I can boldly say that 10 months studying in matric is like 10 mths studying by myself. Quality is 0, management going down to the pits, and teaching quality, HORRENDOUS!

vseehua
27-04-2005, 12:45 PM
personally i would prefer form 6 rather than matriks...cz we get to learn more there, i know form 6 is hard and many ppl who get perfect result for spm did badly in stpm, but its the learning method that counts here, the old and useless 'memorizing the book' approach doesn;t work here anymore, understanding is the key, if you can understand what is thought, then remembering during the exams is not a big deal anymore...:)...

and fyi, my friends in matriks said that its just like a revision of form 4 and 5 lessons..now, that what i call waste of time:p

DRieZa
29-04-2005, 12:18 PM
hi all!
act i'm a matriculation student.. in my experience better u choose matric than stpm.. for me stpm is more difficult and u must though in exam... but in matrics u just study for semester 1 and semester 2... act i have a friend took stpm... yup it's same but u must cover the subject for two years.. in matrics u just concentrate for semester 1 then u concentrate for semester 2...now i'm free coz my exam had finish already...just waiting my result.. :wink:

HappyCat
29-04-2005, 12:29 PM
DRieZa, can you share your experiences with us at http://www.recom.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2074 :?:

DRieZa
29-04-2005, 12:43 PM
of course.. i'll try! :wink:

gohweihan
29-04-2005, 06:26 PM
hi all!
act i'm a matriculation student.. in my experience better u choose matric than stpm.. for me stpm is more difficult and u must though in exam... but in matrics u just study for semester 1 and semester 2... act i have a friend took stpm... yup it's same but u must cover the subject for two years.. in matrics u just concentrate for semester 1 then u concentrate for semester 2...now i'm free coz my exam had finish already...just waiting my result.. :wink:

Put it short - backdoor, unfair, and unjust way to get into the univeristy with reference to the public university entry market.

You should be ashamed of yourself for proposing that people cheat to get into university - even if this cheat is government sanctioned.

bush
29-04-2005, 07:39 PM
matriculation can't get u into a top foreign university whereas STPM can.......

DRieZa
30-04-2005, 07:40 AM
act i don't think so... stpm is more difficult... if u not straight A u Can't enter to local university... it's same!! but in matriculation if u get at least 3.5 and above u can go there... just think it! it's my opinion...

gohweihan
30-04-2005, 08:45 AM
act i don't think so... stpm is more difficult... if u not straight A u Can't enter to local university... it's same!! but in matriculation if u get at least 3.5 and above u can go there... just think it! it's my opinion...

How is it the same?

USSDefiantNX74205
30-04-2005, 10:37 AM

I don't really get what you're trying to say. And what's with the word 'act'?

zAiTsEv
30-04-2005, 10:41 AM
act = actually

Suhanna
30-04-2005, 01:28 PM
hi all!

Put it short - backdoor, unfair, and unjust way to get into the univeristy with reference to the public university entry market.

You should be ashamed of yourself for proposing that people cheat to get into university - even if this cheat is government sanctioned.

wow... Gohweihan.. u look like u totally against the matriculation, or should i say the government? u look like anti-malaysia. is that what u learn in singapore? i think u're just angry bcoz u're not accepted for the scholarship after u got good result in SPM. and i also think that u should respect people's decision n opinon too.

bush
30-04-2005, 02:10 PM
hi all!

wow... Gohweihan.. u look like u totally against the matriculation, or should i say the government? u look like anti-malaysia. is that what u learn in singapore? i think u're just angry bcoz u're not accepted for the scholarship after u got good result in SPM. and i also think that u should respect people's decision n opinon too.

A person who speaks out against the flaws in our education system is not an anti-malaysian, but rather a patriot....someone who sees the many problems that will arise in the future, problems that would undermine the development and the well-being of the country.......and this is the truth......even drieza pointed out that matriculation can easily get u a place in uni whereas for stpm u need to score many As to get into Uni.....

Can u ever find a country in this world that has two pre-u systems.......UK has only Advanced-levels.....Germany....Arbitur.......france......baccalaureate......canada....high school diploma.......australia...also high school diploma.....NZ.....bursary......US.....high school cert plus one standardised SAT.......singapore...a-levels..........brunei.....alevels......even indonesia has only one year 12 cert..........

only our country has this sort of thing........stpm is there so that the world will accept a malaysian pre-u qualification.....matriculation is there because of the constitution..........well malaysians know that it is a social contract and should be upheld.............it doesn't matter if its in business or property as earning less will not kill u......but putting obstacles which will make education a non-level ground is equivalent to denying his basic human right to education..........

because of this system.....many brilliant malaysians are lured by countries such as singapore who r more than willing to get these scholars to be singaporeans, who will later bring singapore to greater heights.............and because of this......our profoundly contradicting government cries foul over the draining of our greatest minds........and find ways and means to lure them back when they could have easily prevented them from going out when they had the chance to.......

Suhanna
30-04-2005, 02:41 PM
hi all!

A person who speaks out against the flaws in our education system is not an anti-malaysian, but rather a patriot....someone who sees the many problems that will arise in the future, problems that would undermine the development and the well-being of the country.......and this is the truth......even drieza pointed out that matriculation can easily get u a place in uni whereas for stpm u need to score many As to get into Uni.....

Can u ever find a country in this world that has two pre-u systems.......UK has only Advanced-levels.....Germany....Arbitur.......france......baccalaureate......canada....high school diploma.......australia...also high school diploma.....NZ.....bursary......US.....high school cert plus one standardised SAT.......singapore...a-levels..........brunei.....alevels......even indonesia has only one year 12 cert..........

only our country has this sort of thing........stpm is there so that the world will accept a malaysian pre-u qualification.....matriculation is there because of the constitution..........well malaysians know that it is a social contract and should be upheld.............it doesn't matter if its in business or property as earning less will not kill u......but putting obstacles which will make education a non-level ground is equivalent to denying his basic human right to education..........

because of this system.....many brilliant malaysians are lured by countries such as singapore who r more than willing to get these scholars to be singaporeans, who will later bring singapore to greater heights.............and because of this......our profoundly contradicting government cries foul over the draining of our greatest minds........and find ways and means to lure them back when they could have easily prevented them from going out when they had the chance to.......

yes, i do agree that people who concern will speak out their mind about their country's flaws. i totally disagree when he said that people who went to matriculation is cheating to get into uni. there's no doubt that matriculation help us to get into local uni. SORRY I WAS KINDA BLUR BLUR, SORRY!

You should be ashamed of yourself for proposing that people cheat to get into university - even if this cheat is government sanctioned.[/quote]

gohweihan
30-04-2005, 02:53 PM

If you've read all my previous posts in this thread, I've explained why matriculation should go - on the political implications it will bring and the racial instability in the long run.

I'll put it simple - I am against matriculation. I am against any policy that discriminates - which matriculation is. I am not anti-government - it's just that too many government policies are discriminating in one way or another against the non-bumiputeras, that's why it look as though I'm anti-government. I am not anti-Malaysia. If I am, I would have converted my citizenship (which I had thought of before). I want to stay, and fight against this discrimination.

Studying in Singapore had taught me two things. Firstly, it's that everyone can be competitive, and you don't need discriminating policies to help the Malays grow. Singapore, since it's independence, had not done anything to help the Malays who are in poor shape at that time. Forty years down the road, I know Malays in this university who can actually match my results.

Second, it's how equality develops a nation. Singapore relies on competitiveness to develop. They need the potential of everyone, and only by letting fair competition, that this full potential can be obtained. Their logic is simple - help one race, and you bring instability within the races, and complacency within the race being helped - all which is true and happening in Malaysia at the moment.

I am here under a scholarship - that I assume some of the people here would already know. I would have come here anyway without a scholarship - so it's not that I betray my country because of a scholarship or something. It's the weakness within the Malaysian education system that make me want to leave ever since Form Five. And I chose Singapore because I want to see for myself the things I posted above in action.

JPA rejected me not because my results weren't good enough (people with 6As', but who are Malays, get to go to Germany, while my results were way better than that and I applied for Germany too), but because I wasn't of a certain race, and that my parents weren't government servants. But I am not angry at them - I want them to know that they had just let someone off who is more capable than they think, and whose long-term intention is to fight for an equal Malaysia for all.

And I sincerely don't think it's fair for you to claim that I am just angry that I was rejected by JPA - that incident merely fueled my desire to fight for what I aim for. I don't like to feel angry at anyone - I prefer to prove them wrong if possible. And it's being done now.

To say that I do not respect opinions and decisions is only half of the story. When people post decisions and opinions that are not fully thought through, I question, and in certain cases, retribute against them because it is so weak that it doesn't stand on it's own. I despise cheating (it's the lowest someone could go to get something), and anyone who tries to promote cheating (like the one who promoted matriculation) would surely get flakked from me, unless they can justify that cheating, which I would also try to flak. These are the people who do not deserve even the slightest respect.

bush
30-04-2005, 02:56 PM
hi all!

yes, i do agree that people who concern will speak out their mind about their country's flaws. but i just could not agree more when he said that people who went to matriculation is cheating to get into uni. there's no doubt that matriculation help us to get into local uni.

You should be ashamed of yourself for proposing that people cheat to get into university - even if this cheat is government sanctioned.[/quote]

u can't agree more or u cannot agree at all?
matriculation lets u get into university easier compared to stpm...........is that what u mean?

he might have put it in a agressive tone.........

gohweihan
30-04-2005, 03:52 PM
If she doesn't get the point of cheating, then I apologise for not explaining it properly.

Basically it's this. The government has a way for the bumiputeras to get into university easier - i.e. matriculation. These bumiputeras, while knowing that they have an easier shortcut, takes it. Moreover, the government encourages it.

The non-bumiputeras, on the other hand, have no choice but to go to Form Six or other means of private education. Form Six is harder compared to matriculation.

The cheat here is the matriculation system. Matriculation is like the government giving the bumiputeras a chance to cheat so that they can enter university easier. It's no different than everyone sitting for the same exam, but the government gives the answers to the exam to the bumiputeras - which eventually they would find the exam a breeze.

Tab
30-04-2005, 05:52 PM
My two cents' on this issue of Matriculation vs STPM...

Frankly, I am not a good judge of which pre-uni qualification is better or tougher or whatever.. for the very reason that I didn't follow either one of these systems.

But based on global recognition, external moderation and syllabus breath and depth, I'd certainly say that the odds are in favour of the STPM. To me, STPM is the gold standard exam in Malaysia. It is to Malaysia what the A-level is to the UK.

I would liken the Matriculation course as a university 'foundation' programme as exemplified by this case.

Even in the UK, A-level is not the only route to gain entry into institutions of higher education. It is possible to gain entry into some universities via one-year foundation courses offered by what they call in the UK as Higher Education Colleges. The only difference is that virtually guaranteed entry into a university notwithstanding, the choice of university is limited to a few and it is only for certain degree courses. In other words, these foundation year courses are not of universal recogniton, even within the UK.

My comparison may be flawed... pls do correct me if you think I'm wrong. But as far as I can see, this is the case with the Malaysian matriculation. The only thing different is that you can enter all IPTAs and can apply for admission into all courses offered. This is because the matric is a government programme and by virtue of being government funded institutions, all these IPTAs must recognise the matriculation.

gohweihan
30-04-2005, 05:58 PM
Actually, the government forced all private insitutions to accept matriculation as well. It's in Malaysia not like a foundation programme, but a general pre-university qualification.

bush
30-04-2005, 07:11 PM
those alternatives may not get u a place to do medicine and other critical courses in any british university.........but with matriculation u can do whatever...........from medicine to the less popular courses............thats y matriculation cannot be regarded as an equivalent to STPM............the same way the higher diploma or whatever u call it is to A-levels...............

Tab
30-04-2005, 07:52 PM
Actually, the government forced all private insitutions to accept matriculation as well. It's in Malaysia not like a foundation programme, but a general pre-university qualification.

oh yes, i overlooked this fact.

to a certain extent, private colleges are controlled by the government since these colleges depend on LAN accreditation to run their courses. Naturally, they would have to accept the matriculation.

those alternatives may not get u a place to do medicine and other critical courses in any british university.........but with matriculation u can do whatever...........from medicine to the less popular courses............thats y matriculation cannot be regarded as an equivalent to STPM............the same way the higher diploma or whatever u call it is to A-levels...............

yes, i also acknowledged this difference in my earlier post.
But what is similar is the fact both ensure a relatively 'safe' passage to university; the higher diplomas by the few UK unis that accept them and the matriculation by the IPTA & IPTS that accepts them.... only that it's all IPTA & IPTS....

reign226
30-04-2005, 09:15 PM
But, more importantly, while the pre-u programmes in UK are open to all students willing, Matriculation is an exclusive club that is hard to get into if you are not of a particular race. Therein lies the injustice.

Suhanna
30-04-2005, 10:35 PM
If she doesn't get the point of cheating, then I apologise for not explaining it properly.

Basically it's this. The government has a way for the bumiputeras to get into university easier - i.e. matriculation. These bumiputeras, while knowing that they have an easier shortcut, takes it. Moreover, the government encourages it.

The non-bumiputeras, on the other hand, have no choice but to go to Form Six or other means of private education. Form Six is harder compared to matriculation.

The cheat here is the matriculation system. Matriculation is like the government giving the bumiputeras a chance to cheat so that they can enter university easier. It's no different than everyone sitting for the same exam, but the government gives the answers to the exam to the bumiputeras - which eventually they would find the exam a breeze.

okay, sorry then if i get you wrong, well.. u mean government gives the answer to matrix student?

30-04-2005, 11:36 PM
wow, this post is getting so overwhelming response.
ok la
no use debating
it is clear tat stpm is n times harder than matriks
anyone oppose this? ok u r just cheating urself
but then
anyone got it n want to go
go for it
we should respect ppl's choice
and who dont want go
stay la
stpm really made me more mature
last time i wanna be doctor
but after studying in stpm
seeing many "thick books" everyday
i think to myself......... "ok , i wont like it to be like tat in the rest of my life" :wink:

gohweihan
30-04-2005, 11:56 PM
okay, sorry then if i get you wrong, well.. u mean government gives the answer to matrix student?

What I'm trying to say is that matriculation is an easier way to enter university - just like cheating in examinations (which in this case, it's the government who wants them to cheat). It's not that the answers are given to them - I'm just using it as an analogy.

petertok
01-05-2005, 12:42 AM
Fine.. im editing this post !!

gohweihan , just wanna tell u im going for matriks in penang. :P

reign226
01-05-2005, 07:01 AM
Now THAT's what I call a troll.

gohweihan
01-05-2005, 12:39 PM
I'm not sure what the original post was, but then again, I can't stop selfish people as well.

lolilo
01-05-2005, 01:39 PM

I really have to agree with this post.
There are so many complaints and views published in the newspaper regarding the unfairness of both stpm and matriculation, yet the government is keeping mum on this issue. There will come a day when they have to face the music. Things are geting out of hand these recent years with all those university entrance thingy.

I am all for the abolishment of matriculation. Education should be fair and for everybody, not just for a certain group pf people. For those who gained entry into matriculation, go ahead, you have to be realistic in this kind of education environment in our country. No point giving up what is offered.

But as far as transparency in education policies concerned, this matriculation system is a skewed one. And yeah, abolish it like what we do to PTS.

reign226
01-05-2005, 09:24 PM
The government is trying very hard to keep this issue under wraps. How I wish I had known some of these stuff when I was in Form 5. There needs to be a public awareness of the subtleties of this dual-system especially to school-leavers. Don't just tell them "Oh, matrix is this second way of going into uni" and then pretend not to hear the "Why is that so?" question.

gohweihan
01-05-2005, 09:47 PM
There is a possible method to show that the non-bumiputeras really do not want matriculation and they would do something against it.

But doing so would require cooperation from non-bumiputera led firms, and it might be a little inhumane because this plan would use the matriculation graduates as an example to the public, as they would suffer the consequences of choosing matriculation. Also, it may lead to instability within the nation itself.

01-05-2005, 11:19 PM
there is really no advantages to take up form 6
if ur ultimate route is to enter local uni
except stpm may made u more mature
and if u go through it.......
u can face watever exam

Tab
02-05-2005, 01:01 AM
There is a possible method to show that the non-bumiputeras really do not want matriculation and they would do something against it.

But doing so would require cooperation from non-bumiputera led firms, and it might be a little inhumane because this plan would use the matriculation graduates as an example to the public, as they would suffer the consequences of choosing matriculation. Also, it may lead to instability within the nation itself.

whoa............ :lol:

DecentMerson
02-05-2005, 01:51 AM
there is really no advantages to take up form 6
if ur ultimate route is to enter local uni
except stpm may made u more mature
and if u go through it.......
u can face watever exam

those are really important and priceless experience...

more mature, and building up ur perseverance and determination... and training u to be able to work under pressure...
On top of that, u are better prepared for University too.

just curious, what advantage do u have in choosing Matriks (other than that it is easier...
and it saves u a year...(which i dun think is a advantage at all, if u do think so, tell me why izzit good to graduate a year earlier...)

i always wonder why many people are trying to go for the shortest courses they can find?

gohweihan
02-05-2005, 04:26 AM
It's human nature - always wanting the things others have while at the same time wanting an easier way to get it (and most of the time, without thinking of the consequences).

DRieZa
02-05-2005, 10:13 AM
i agree.. :wink:

lyt87
02-05-2005, 10:48 AM
i wonder how goverment chooses student to go into matriks, students with 1A's can get into it also.

i thought that there should be calculation for that,
1.SPM result 80%-for science stream, 25% for A1 in Science subject or Mat. (max 80%)
2. 10%for your parent's salary- 10%for <RM500 ; 5% for <1000
3. 10% for where you live. town or village
4. min must get 88% to get in matriks

how come 1A's can get into matriks while those with 12A's can't????

there are some complaints but no response from government.

chenchow
02-05-2005, 10:57 AM
i wonder how goverment chooses student to go into matriks, students with 1A's can get into it also.

1.SPM result 80%-for science stream, 25% for A1 in Science subject or Mat. (max 80%)

Say 1A2 and 3B3. So, it would be 23 + 21 + 21 + 21 = 86 (80% makes it, 68.8%)

If the same person lives in rural area and parents earn $499, he would get 20%.

So, that adds up to 88.8%, and hence higher than 88%.

Whereas another student say, 12A1, and hence 80% for academic.
Parents earn RM990, get 5% ,and lives in Penang (urban = 0%)

So, this student who gets 12A1 gets 85%.

Matriculation is designed to help bring more opportunities for those in rural area and also for those from low-income family.

HappyCat
02-05-2005, 10:59 AM

a bit correction for the marks:
2. 10% for <RM1000 ; 5% for RM1001-RM2000
3. 10% for those who live in village

if the 12A's student live in town and parent's salary more than RM2000, he or she will less 20% than the student who got 1A and live in village with parent's salary is less than RM1000.

that's the different. :wink:

meselsohnstahl
02-05-2005, 11:04 AM
Actually, don't think so highly of STPM. According to one of the recomers, STPM is NOT the 2nd hardest exam in the world. Comparing STPM and A-levels, they are almost the same, but if I'm not mistaken of course STPM is a bit harder. But STPM examinations questions are quite straightforward, while A-levels questions need you to think a lot. For people with financial difficulties, it is best to choose STPM instead of A-levels. Matrix is not bad, though the standards are way too low. Not that Im insulting people who take Matrix, but there are those who got 1A for SPM obtained CGPA pf 4.0 in Matrix, but the MUET is between band3 to low band4. Got the idea? And if you want to go overseas, forget Matrix. Better take STPM or the A-levels..for me Im now in Upper Six..hoping to get a CGPA of 4.0, after the disappointment I had in SPM.
what are you trying to imply??if your cgpa is 4, your muet has to be fantastic??

gohweihan
02-05-2005, 01:48 PM
If what he means is that students getting 1A in English (or even 1119 English) getting Band 3 or Band 4 in MUET, then I would agree with the statement posted above. There is on average only about 85 to 90 candidates getting Band 6 in every exam.

But that does not quite prove anything and is more of a redundent statement.

02-05-2005, 07:55 PM
those are really important and priceless experience...

more mature, and building up ur perseverance and determination... and training u to be able to work under pressure...
On top of that, u are better prepared for University too.

just curious, what advantage do u have in choosing Matriks (other than that it is easier...
and it saves u a year...(which i dun think is a advantage at all, if u do think so, tell me why izzit good to graduate a year earlier...)

i always wonder why many people are trying to go for the shortest courses they can find?

ermmmmmm
matriks is easier
and ensure u a place in uni
and very easy to get critical course
thats all i think
but i gave up matriks
so i'm suffering in stpm :o

02-05-2005, 07:56 PM
why do ppl compare PTS and matriks?
ok...
matriks donno choose student based on academic only......
but i think PTS is
(i'm pts student)

mediator
02-05-2005, 09:20 PM
ermmm...

the 10% thing applies to the government's matriculation centres only right?there are many private colleges that offer matriculation too.actually what i wish to ask is how come this is a very heated issue?what actually do we want?for matriculation to be banished?if you feel matriculation is low standard and too easy than why not just don't go for it?if you think studying for matriculation will make you struggle in university than just go for other options...what actually is the whole point of boycotting it?......

anyway for the newest batch of matriculation,only 700+ students got 4.0....which is nothing compared to 1800 or so for the previous batch.i think it's because of the change of teaching medium from malay to english.to all who decide to go for matriculation,well best of luck~!

gohweihan
02-05-2005, 09:47 PM
ermmm...

the 10% thing applies to the government's matriculation centres only right?there are many private colleges that offer matriculation too.actually what i wish to ask is how come this is a very heated issue?what actually do we want?for matriculation to be banished?if you feel matriculation is low standard and too easy than why not just don't go for it?if you think studying for matriculation will make you struggle in university than just go for other options...what actually is the whole point of boycotting it?......

anyway for the newest batch of matriculation,only 700+ students got 4.0....which is nothing compared to 1800 or so for the previous batch.i think it's because of the change of teaching medium from malay to english.to all who decide to go for matriculation,well best of luck~!

It's more than a standard issue. It's all those things I've posted up before this.

You should think about it this way. 700+ with CGPA 4.00 in matriculation, but compare that to the 300+ CGPA 4.00 in STPM?

There are only 20000 odd taking matriculation, while about 50000 odd taking STPM.

About private matriculation, there's no discrimination about it, and anyone with the cash could get into that. Not so for the government.

And yes, some of us here (especially yours truly) wants matriculation to go. Not in the unforseeable future, but within this generation.

mediator
03-05-2005, 01:49 PM
gohweihan,thanks for that information...

okay,so you're trying to point that stpm is harder than matriks?
as stated before,both stpm and matriks have their own pros and cons.i believe it boils down to what you really want.why the discrimination against matriks?tell me what so big a difference does it make if matriks is ebolished?i see you crave for malaysia to have one set of exam only,namely stpm,what for?

universities like oxford can accept students with excellent result from various types of examinations...A-level,Oz matriculation,many more...they're different sets of exams too..

i'll say this again,it's down to what you want.if you feel doing matriculation will make you struggle in university,then just go for other options...if you want to go overseas and since stpm is a more recognised exam worldwide,then go with that.the choice is yours to make.if you're willing to go all out to achieve ur dream,you'll see many ways of doing so instead of 'other people have easier paths to do this or that' ...right?

Anyway...in UM and ukm,some of the top students are,indeed from matriks.i wonder where does the generalization that matriks students struggle in universities come from.no matter where or what you study,if you work hard+smart for it,then there's no stopping you.it's all up to you.

bush
03-05-2005, 04:45 PM
gohweihan,thanks for that information...

okay,so you're trying to point that stpm is harder than matriks?
as stated before,both stpm and matriks have their own pros and cons.i believe it boils down to what you really want.why the discrimination against matriks?tell me what so big a difference does it make if matriks is ebolished?i see you crave for malaysia to have one set of exam only,namely stpm,what for?

universities like oxford can accept students with excellent result from various types of examinations...A-level,Oz matriculation,many more...they're different sets of exams too..

i'll say this again,it's down to what you want.if you feel doing matriculation will make you struggle in university,then just go for other options...if you want to go overseas and since stpm is a more recognised exam worldwide,then go with that.the choice is yours to make.if you're willing to go all out to achieve ur dream,you'll see many ways of doing so instead of 'other people have easier paths to do this or that' ...right?

Anyway...in UM and ukm,some of the top students are,indeed from matriks.i wonder where does the generalization that matriks students struggle in universities come from.no matter where or what you study,if you work hard+smart for it,then there's no stopping you.it's all up to you.

i think u do not get the idea called equality..........the fact that its unfair its because u can't go into matriculation as u want, besides that its standard is questionable. Don't bring oxford into the picture as universities like these will only accept qualifications that are good and transparent........no one reallly knows how matriculation works as its purpose of existence itself shows that it is not transparent as it claims to be.....

gohweihan
03-05-2005, 04:46 PM
Just what are the pros of matriculation besides easier to get into university (and that is because of it's lower standards, which I had so many times posted with analysis)?

I'm talking about pros of matriculation from a fair and just society's point of view.

mediator
03-05-2005, 06:55 PM
mmm....

so the whole 'tak puas hati' thing is mainly due to the quota then...i've thought so,just need confirmation.*sigh* so this is actually back to the bumi-nonbumi thing which,on my behalf,have nothing much to say that'd not been said already.

i come to wonder..if the selection of this matrik thingy is 'transparent',in other word,satisfies you..would you still want it ebolished? :?:

gohweihan
03-05-2005, 07:27 PM
I don't care if they make it transparent. No point telling me how they choose matriculation students. The idea is this - matriculation is socially unjust, thus it has to go. For explanations, go read the thread.

Even if they open up matriculation to non-bumiputeras, there is still an issue of an easier versus a harder course, which is socially unjust to the public in general (the so-called 'luckier' ones would get this, while those unlucky ones wouldn't). Thus, by all accounts, matriculation must go.

reign226
03-05-2005, 08:39 PM
But in light of the new evidence on selection procedures, I must say that its utopian goal of providing people in rural areas a chance to enter university to be a good one.

I think we can agree that due to the various socio-economic disparity, students from rural areas *might* have a problem academically (yes, I know some of the top students come from rural areas, but I am being general here). In that case, a system that focuses solely on academic achievements (hence, those enrolled in better schools, hence those enrolled in urban places, hence places with good economic development) will put students in rural places at a disadvantage.

Matriculation then is seen as a way to break the chain of 'poverty'. It gives due consideration to the fact that some students in certain parts of the country or indeed geographic location deserve to be given a chance of tertiary education. In other words, it demolishes the notion of 'entry only through academic acumen' as it also takes into account socio-political variables. One could argue that a completely fair and balanced entry scheme can only be devised if everybody is already enjoying a fair and balanced chance of recieving education (ala singapore). Even then, I am sure the govt there is handing out aid to students with handicaps, disabilities or other unfortunate afflictions.

Thus in that light, we can view matriculation as a sort of 'aid' given for these disadvantaged students. Since there is nothing conceptually wrong with aiding the disadvantaged, there should be, conceptually, nothing morally wrong with matriculation, as long as the definition of 'disadvantaged' is not politicized or racialized, and remains something that can be easily and objectively ascertained.

But, like i said, it's a utopian goal. The problem we now face is not the conceptual goals of matriculation, but the den of evil that constitutes human nature. Matriculation has been politicized to death, and it's a failure in implementation, not formulation, that brings about the current animosity for Matriculation. I for one have seen many undeserving places in matriculation given to students from urban places.

The purpose of matriculation has also been peverted to the point where instead of becoming a sort of 'aid', it is being distributed unfairly, to a large section of the undeserving, simply because they now view it as a shortcut way of entering university. I think the government should really seriously reconsider the number of students admitted into Matriculation, and the criterias. For example, places like Penang and KL should not even have matriculation centers. The places reserved for students in such a place goes counter to the government's justification of Matriculation. As such, I am still opinioned that the forces of politics and greed continue to influence policy-implementors.

mediator
03-05-2005, 09:13 PM
very well said,reign226...

i think that's exactly what the government's trying to do.and there is the undeniable fact that most students who really really need this 'aid' are bumis indeed.

i think the places for matriculation should strictly be given to those who really need it with a big BUT,are talented and willing to study hard and make full use of it,NOT take it for granted,which are among the ways matriculation are misused today,sadly...

we've been talking about racial harmony,racial unity,building a malaysian race,what not...but the simple reality is that these things are hard to realised if the economic gap between races are considerably large,like it is today.this gives rational of why the government is still trying to protect the bumis through such quotas.so that more bumis can have about an equal level of education,have considerable jobs and thus,lessen this economic gap.don't tell me you don't know that it is mostly bumis who are suffering with poverty? :roll:

have you ever thought about this?the way i see it,sometimes i wonder whether most non-bumis even care...or does it satisfy you as long as you get what you want?...what a sad possibility....
personally,i don't want malaysia to be like singapore,..if you know what i mean.

gohweihan
03-05-2005, 09:31 PM
have you ever thought about this?the way i see it,sometimes i wonder whether most non-bumis even care...or does it satisfy you as long as you get what you want?...what a sad possibility....
personally,i don't want malaysia to be like singapore,..if you know what i mean.

We live in a capitalist environment - whether we like it or not, it's the idea of the best would win. I don't mind helping the poor to catch up with the standards, but one thing I cannot accept is to bring the standards to them. Matriculation is doing just that.

I would admit that there is problems with the poor (who are situated in rural areas). Instead of giving them matriculation places, why not invest in infrastructure to bring these people to the standards of STPM. In the long run, it's these people who would gain.

On the contrary, give matriculation places to these so-called unfortunate, and you'll end up having these people working only to reach the standards of matriculation, which is absurdly low.

You may see it as a good way to eradicate poverty, but that's what matriculation was supposed to do. Unfortunately, we can see now how much it failed. It's time we tried something else instead of sticking with status quo.

As for awarding to supposedly deserving people, you may just end up with people who supposedly work hard to get a place in matriculation, but then knowing their chance is already half-secured, they would just slack off - thus back to square one. Unless the standard of matriculation be brought up to that of A-Levels, or STPM, there is no way that matriculation would encourage people to strive, due to it's easy nature.

bush
03-05-2005, 09:32 PM
very well said,reign226...

i think that's exactly what the government's trying to do.and there is the undeniable fact that most students who really really need this 'aid' are bumis indeed.

i think the places for matriculation should strictly be given to those who really need it with a big BUT,are talented and willing to study hard and make full use of it,NOT take it for granted,which are among the ways matriculation are misused today,sadly...

we've been talking about racial harmony,racial unity,building a malaysian race,what not...but the simple reality is that these things are hard to realised if the economic gap between races are considerably large,like it is today.this gives rational of why the government is still trying to protect the bumis through such quotas.so that more bumis can have about an equal level of education,have considerable jobs and thus,lessen this economic gap.don't tell me you don't know that it is mostly bumis who are suffering with poverty? :roll:

there is nothing wrong in aiding bumiputeras who are poor, however it is very wrong to aid bumiputeras who are already successful while neglecting poor non-bumiputeras........And we should look to our neighbours, why r they so succesful even though they do not have land, vast natural resources etc. Yet their economy is much better than us.

mediator
03-05-2005, 09:49 PM
bush,right..i don't remember saying anything about neglecting poor non-bumis...i'm just generalizing that most of poor students are bumis.i agree with you that it is very very wrong indeed to neglect poor non-bumis....

as for what gohweihan have said,i see your point.i sincerely hope that is in the plan of the government..i'm referring to ur saying of investing in infrastructure for those in rural areas,so as to bring their standard up.but i'm sure that this would take time and require yet a lot more money.

gohweihan
03-05-2005, 09:58 PM
bush,right..i don't remember saying anything about neglecting poor non-bumis...i'm just generalizing that most of poor students are bumis.i agree with you that it is very very wrong indeed to neglect poor non-bumis....

as for what gohweihan have said,i see your point.i sincerely hope that is in the plan of the government..i'm referring to ur saying of investing in infrastructure for those in rural areas,so as to bring their standard up.but i'm sure that this would take time and require yet a lot more money.

I'm glad you can see it now. Matriculation had been a wrong step since the beginning.

Unfortunately, while you hope the government may change it, I doubt so. This government is one that actually harps on racial division in order for it to stay in power. Matriculation allows for that. It is a social tool used for political purposes.

As for investment in infrastructure and other things, it is possible, but like you said, it takes time. Singapore didn't became an economic powerhouse overnight. When it achieved independence, the people were scattered, and there are places without proper education facilities. Yet the investment paid off in the long run. It is a matter of looking into the future.

PJKru
03-05-2005, 10:06 PM
Unfortunately, while you hope the government may change it, I doubt so. This government is one that actually harps on racial division in order for it to stay in power. Matriculation allows for that. It is a social tool used for political purposes.

Is matriculation for bumis only?

As for investment in infrastructure and other things, it is possible, but like you said, it takes time. Singapore didn't became an economic powerhouse overnight. When it achieved independence, the people were scattered, and there are places without proper education facilities. Yet the investment paid off in the long run. It is a matter of looking into the future.

I dont think its easy to compare singapore with Malaysia. Malaysia is a much bigger country and more difficult to manage.

gohweihan
03-05-2005, 10:21 PM

Is matriculation for bumis only?

I dont think its easy to compare singapore with Malaysia. Malaysia is a much bigger country and more difficult to manage.

Matriculation is 90% for bumiputeras, and 10% for non-bumiputeras.

And as for comparing Singapore and Malaysia, it's hard, but that doesn't mean it's impossible. A smaller country could develop to a certain extent, but with Malaysia's land and manpower potential, the potential output could be larger than Singapore's. What's needed is proper planning which what the government isn't doing properly right now.

mediator
03-05-2005, 10:23 PM
of course not PJKru,
but put aside private matriculations,most matriculation students are bumis.so it can be said that for matriculation,students of different races do not mingle with each other very well.nevertheless,for the quota to be opened a bit is quite good because we have variety which encourages interaction.....but well,this is very insufficient okay?