PDA

View Full Version : Scholarship FAQ (JPA, Petronas, BNM, MARA, ASEAN..) - Part 2

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

khor_albert
28-11-2005, 09:17 PM
Searching through 276 pages or so can be quite time-consuming to obtain the wanted information on scholarships. Besides, some of the information maybe outdated and irrelevant anymore.

This will basically be the continuation of the first part. All enquiries on scholarship for 2006 intake should be posted here.

More and more ReComers including myself have benefited from this website and we believe in the power of sharing. Therefore, all ReComers under scholarship are invited to answer some of the enquiries and others are often welcome to provide some comments.

Before that, I will just like to kickstart by listing some of the very popular scholarships available:

JPA - Jabatan Perkhidmatan Awam
PET - Petronas (also including MISC if applicable)
BNM - Bank Negara Malaysia
MARA - Majlis Amanah Rakyat Malaysia
ASEAN - ASEAN Scholarship
TEL - Telekom Scholarship
THS - The Star Education Fund
SEC - Securities Commission
TEN - Tenaga Nasional
JPG - Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho)
SMD - Yayasan Sime Darby

All Form 5 students finishing their studies in 2005 will find this forum useful. However, we also invite questions from younger students or Pre-U and even university students. Do take note that spoonfeeding is not the tradition of ReCom.

Looking forward to helping more deserving students to secure their dream scholarship.

chenchow
29-11-2005, 09:00 AM
Thanks khor_albert for initiating this thread. Really hope that fellow ReComers can come and post questions here, and I really hope those who have experience to share, please try and help other fellow ReComers.

Please spread the words about ReCom and lets build up the network of ReCom.

For those who want to browse through what has been discussed last year on various scholarships, please check out
This Scholarship Link (http://www.recom.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=256#72661)

This thread would be brought up to replace the current position of scholarship thread.

Tasslehoff
30-11-2005, 12:04 AM
I do suggest that hotlinks to some old posts (that are still relevant.. esp some tips and lookouts) should be in place, so that anyone reading this topic will find it easier to look for help and at the same time, reduces redundancy..

lyzzy
30-11-2005, 12:30 AM
I do suggest that hotlinks to some old posts (that are still relevant.. esp some tips and lookouts) should be in place, so that anyone reading this topic will find it easier to look for help and at the same time, reduces redundancy..

Well .... this means that the albert or chen chow has to go through the entire 277 pages of the old topic.... , and search for old posts link them here.

- in other words, spoonfeeding :)

Recom has a search function... and imho people looking for help could use it.

deaf-knee
30-11-2005, 01:12 AM
I found this while blog surfing.

http://tinkosong.blogspot.com/

You guys might find it useful.

chenchow
30-11-2005, 09:00 AM

Well .... this means that the albert or chen chow has to go through the entire 277 pages of the old topic.... , and search for old posts link them here.

If any of you find anything relevant tips from the old thread, just reference it here... So, we would leverage on the power of ReComers network to get it done!

Tasslehoff
30-11-2005, 04:07 PM

hmm.. i wasnt thinking of albert or chen chow alone, was thinking about it being a recom community thing where everyone SHOULD help out. just like chenchow said :)

chenchow
30-11-2005, 05:43 PM
I found this while blog surfing.

http://tinkosong.blogspot.com/

You guys might find it useful.

Tinkosong is started by a number of fellow ReComers, Nick, Joyce and Eng Han.

It would be a good way for ReCom and tinkosong to really leverage on each other's strength.

I would see tinkosong as a repository of information on various scholarship information, especially, I would look at it as a FAQ, where the information is posted by those with specific detailed information on specific scholarships.

Whereas ReCom would be a more forum-based discussion, Q&As on various scholarships. It would be more suited for those questions that you hope to get replies from diverse ReComers at a very fast pace response rate.

jonnyl
01-12-2005, 12:26 PM
Hmmm how come we can't jump to pages, as in the case of the Scholarship Thread. Is it possible to go to a desired page just by typing it's number? I see no such feature though.

chenchow
01-12-2005, 06:22 PM
Hmmm how come we can't jump to pages, as in the case of the Scholarship Thread. Is it possible to go to a desired page just by typing it's number? I see no such feature though.

As the previous scholarship thread is too long (277 pages), we are starting this new thread for questions to be asked. The link to the old scholarship thread is linked in the earlier post of me in this thread. Just scroll up to click at the link.

This is a new thread, and hence it is still in the 1st page currently.

Please feel free to post any question here.

jonnyl
01-12-2005, 07:04 PM
Alright, here goes then.

Scenario:

One gets the ASEAN Scholarship and goes there for JC1, then comes back for the JPA interview after the SPM results are out. If one obtains JPA as well, is it possible to appeal that JPA sponsor one's university studies only upon the completion of A levels in Singapore? Has this been done by any fellow Recommers? Is it allowed?

deaf-knee
01-12-2005, 07:24 PM
I have a number of friends doing their pre-u studies themselves. I don't think it should be that big a problem.

jonnyl
01-12-2005, 08:44 PM
Yeah, but in this case, one will be a holder of 2 scholarships at the same time, JPA and ASEAN.

It's completing the 2 years of Junior College in Singapore, then JPA takes over.

Will this be possible?

DecentMerson
01-12-2005, 11:16 PM
Yeah, but in this case, one will be a holder of 2 scholarships at the same time, JPA and ASEAN.

It's completing the 2 years of Junior College in Singapore, then JPA takes over.

Will this be possible?

last checked (about 3 years ago), it is plausible... but u will be responsible for all the application procedures and paperwork (including applying to the university, and sitting for exams and all)

you won't be holder of 2 scholarship at the same time because it is different scholarships at different level of ur education... u will only be having ASEAN scholarship for ur A-levels, and then, JPA scholarship for ur undergrad...

unless u will go to the uni sooner, like u were halfway done with SAM and u are "posted" to Australia by JPA(u can save 1 year by continuing with SAM), or else, i think it is better to follow the JPA's pre-U...

(make sure u contact JPA once in awhile because u will never know how things work over there)

I've friend who did SAM or A-levels on their own, then continue their undergrad with JPA... i don't think JC's A-levels or Taylors' A-levels matter much to JPA...

chenchow
02-12-2005, 09:05 AM
Alright, here goes then.

Scenario:

One gets the ASEAN Scholarship and goes there for JC1, then comes back for the JPA interview after the SPM results are out. If one obtains JPA as well, is it possible to appeal that JPA sponsor one's university studies only upon the completion of A levels in Singapore? Has this been done by any fellow Recommers? Is it allowed?

I would say that if you could get both ASEAN Scholarships and JPA Scholarships, you would have a very good option. For JPA Scholarship, basically, they could allow you to do any pre-U on your own, pending approval from them. Typically they would allow it, but you would have to fund yourself. And more importantly, you would have to get admission to the universities approved by JPA in the countries that you are supposed to study.

So, if let say you get JPA to study in Australia, then, you would need to get admission into those top universities that are approved by JPA. When you seek for approval to do pre-U on your own, you would be responsible for getting into the universities, and JPA would not fund your pre-U.

So, the risk is there, and it is up to you to choose.

nic89ng
02-12-2005, 03:57 PM
Hi there!!I'm actually new to this forum.just registered not long ago.
I've been doing my own research on higher education overseas & i'm keen on going to the states & australia.The requirements for universities in the states are SAT scores...bt the cost of living & tuition fees are rather costly considering the foreign currency exchange.As for the Australian universities,they accept Malaysia GCE A Levels, STPM & the Malaysian UEC.

What exactly is the Malaysian UEC??

jonnyl
02-12-2005, 05:14 PM
A quick check in Google reveals what UEC is. I did not know it too at first.

The Unified Examination Certificate (UEC)is the independent Chinese schools? equivalent of STPM. So unless you are in an independent Chinese school such as Chung Hwa KL, you do not have to be concerned. =)

bush
02-12-2005, 08:14 PM
while UEC is typically equivalent to STPM and A-levels, students usually take more than 6 subjects for the UEC.......something which you would do for spm......

pringles
03-12-2005, 12:36 AM
There are scholarships sponsored by United Engineers Malaysia(UEM) too. Can the admin add that to the list? Thanks.

nicolegigi
03-12-2005, 06:31 PM
There are scholarships sponsored by United Engineers Malaysia(UEM) too. Can the admin add that to the list? Thanks.

only 5 scholarships will be given by UEM

03-12-2005, 09:46 PM
i would be glad if someone would be kind enough to share with me what was asked in the essay question in the asean selection test today :D ..

lXl
04-12-2005, 10:01 AM
is the scholarship provided by UEM based on the SPM results or forecast ?[/quote]

DecentMerson
04-12-2005, 11:47 AM
is the scholarship provided by UEM based on the SPM results or forecast ?

go check it out at www.uem.com.my
under education & us...

Lils88
04-12-2005, 09:36 PM
UEC is divided into 2 types, 1 for d lower secondary n 1 for form 6. I think u r talking about d second 1. Actually, it is not equivilent to STPM or A-lvls altho some unis do accept it as equivilent. In reality, its less than STPM/A-lvls but higher than SPM.

bush
05-12-2005, 12:08 AM
UEC is divided into 2 types, 1 for d lower secondary n 1 for form 6. I think u r talking about d second 1. Actually, it is not equivilent to STPM or A-lvls altho some unis do accept it as equivilent. In reality, its less than STPM/A-lvls but higher than SPM.

My friends who did UEC studies from books meant for A-levels......

Jhuen
05-12-2005, 11:25 AM
is the scholarship provided by UEM based on the SPM results or forecast ?[/quote]

i think they only offer s/ships based on the real results rather than the forceast ones..but, considering the fact the Kyuem is introducing intakes in january, probably the policy's changed now..look out for adverts in NST for this one..

chenchow
05-12-2005, 07:56 PM
For those ReComers who have just finished SPM, I would strongly advise you to start preparing for your scholarship applications and interview, as soon as possible.

On behalf of ReCom, we would like to welcome you to post as many questions as possible. Please pass the words around about ReCom to your friends too.

And I would really hope to urge all ReComers, especially those who have shared and learned from ReCom before, to come back and help those who are in need of help. Your help would do them a world of good.

follown
05-12-2005, 10:02 PM
Hey guys, a question.

Is the following, a sufficient prep for the SAT? (SPM leaver);

a) English Courses, particularly speaking courses (I have the tendency to pronounce wrongly; local slang? lol)
b) Add Maths & Modern Maths revision (average score for Add Maths; any suggestions?)
c) Websites (interview/admission essays, sites like ReCom.org and whatnot)

Last but not least;
d) Motivational/Language/RWI books; (I'm reading Warren Buffett's book atm; interested in investment and stuff)

thanks for the heads up!

bush
05-12-2005, 10:11 PM
It would be all the more better to get copies of SAT prep books.

lyzzy
06-12-2005, 09:05 AM
yeah, just get SAT prep books to sit for the SATs - definitely 10 Real SATS, and if you are motivated enough, Kaplan, Barrons or Princeton Review.

caramel_nut
06-12-2005, 12:39 PM
I myself honestly think my SPM background was not sufficient for me to excel in the SAT. Maths is pretty ok if you can score well in your SPM Add Math but the Critical Reading component requires much more effort, especially in memorising the bombastic words. As for SAT Subject Tests, I agree that you must at least get yourself some reference books from Kaplan, Princeton Review or Barrons. There are quite a number of things that are not covered in the SPM syllabus. I personally don't like Peterson's books as the book I have from this publisher has dozens of mistakes and the explanations are quite vague and confusing. I use mostly Kaplan books though my friends comment that Princeton Review books are just as good. Anyway, good luck and do register early for the test.

Smilehoe
07-12-2005, 12:00 AM
Fudge wrote

i would be glad if someone would be kind enough to share with me what was asked in the essay question in the asean selection test today ..

There r two questions:
1. Write about an event that has greatly changed the lives of many people and your response to it.
2. Write a critical review on a movie/tv programme that you think is not up to your expectations.

*the above questions may not fully resemble to what is asked in the exam, cos i forgot partially. :lol:

btw, i wonder if this is considered off topic.

lXl
07-12-2005, 11:12 AM
[1. Write about an event that has greatly changed the lives of many people and your response to it]

i wrote about the may 13th 1969 incident........... contoroversial enough ???[/quote]

lXl
07-12-2005, 11:23 AM
Jhuen wrote :

think they only offer s/ships based on the real results rather than the forceast ones..but, considering the fact the Kyuem is introducing intakes in january, probably the policy's changed now..look out for adverts in NST for this one..

however, according to the website, scholarships are given out only to those WITH SPM results (that means Jun/july intake). though they still accept those who applied for the Jan intake (without scholarship).[/list]

oneforthelord
07-12-2005, 02:02 PM
yeah, just get SAT prep books to sit for the SATs - definitely 10 Real SATS, and if you are motivated enough, Kaplan, Barrons or Princeton Review.

Kaplans is good, I used that for my SAT 1. 10 Real SATS is a must, but doing 4-5 is enough to do well.

I suggest you make word cards (they are given behind those SAT prep books) and memorize the words because the average Malaysian doesn't have a vocabulary strong enough to excel in the VOcab parts. Critical reading you'll have to work on a lot of passages to improve, but in general they aren;t that tough (to me :P)

I personally used Kaplan, 10 real SATs and Simon's Story: A guide to the SAT 1 which was a weird, goofey storybook style guidebook to the VOcab section. However, I got quite powderful England languages and didn't needed a lots of vocab preparingtion. I only got 1570 though :x

reign226
07-12-2005, 06:53 PM
I've always found Recom to be helpful and I really regret not discovering this site before my taking my SPM. Anyway I've started a thread on STPM scholarships only (to save time trawling through this thread which focuses on many SPM scholarships that does not apply for STPM students).

http://recom.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3364

However I placed it under an SIG group. I wonder if it would be possible to move it under the Education forum instead for fear that it would be locked due to redundancy. Anyway I hope all of us STPM students can come together at once place to share information for STPM 2005 scholarships.

follown
08-12-2005, 07:12 PM
@<hidden>, lyzzy, caramel_nut, oneforthelord;

thanks for the pointers, appreciate it! ;P. Gonna get the kaplan review soon enough.

Pardon meh, but I'm too lazy to go look for infos atm (oh please mr good looking mod... i need to be spoonfed for once!), what happens if I get shit scores for the initial SAT? am I allowed to resit or what?

thanks a bunch ;P

lXl
08-12-2005, 10:39 PM
KYUEM :

according to Rogayah Ibrahim, the Manager of Student Affairs

excerps from her e-mail

95% of our students are sponsored by JPA, MARA, PETRONAS, PNB, Bank Negara etc...
while the rest are private students.

At the moment the college is not offering any schoarships. If you are looking for any
scholarships, then you have to contact these sponsors yourself. Like JPA normally
will advertise for people to apply about 1/2 weeks before SPM results are released in major
newspapers.

just to let u guys know.........

bush
08-12-2005, 11:17 PM
The only thing that sets KTJ, KYUEM apart is because they are boarding school.

An A grade from these schools is exactly the same as an A grade from TARC or Taylor's etc. The only difference is the fees that you pay. That explains why they charge astronomical fees for an A-level program, simply because big bodies are willing to pay.

Smilehoe
08-12-2005, 11:54 PM
Questions
-Is intec for jpa scholars who are doing foundation in Malaysia b4 being sent oversea?
-Is kyuem serving the same purpose as intec.
-What difference does both institutes have?
Thnxs

bush
09-12-2005, 01:08 AM
Questions
-Is intec for jpa scholars who are doing foundation in Malaysia b4 being sent oversea?
Thnxs

KYUEM is basically opened to those who meet their standards and have loads of cash in their pockets. So rich people, sponsored scholars usually go there.

INTEC is only for sponsored scholars if I am not mistaken. You can have a lot of money but i doubt you can enroll yourself as and when you like.

jonnyl
09-12-2005, 09:06 AM

thanks for the pointers, appreciate it! ;P. Gonna get the kaplan review soon enough.

Pardon meh, but I'm too lazy to go look for infos atm (oh please mr good looking mod... i need to be spoonfed for once!), what happens if I get shit scores for the initial SAT? am I allowed to resit or what?

thanks a bunch ;P

Just sharing here, as far as i am concerned, you can sit as many times as you like, and only the highest score will be taken into account, and provided you have the cash. =) But the number of resits may surface too sooner or later, and it may not be in your favour. Twice is a reasonable number, but twenty times shows something else....

DecentMerson
09-12-2005, 09:59 AM

thanks a bunch ;P

Just sharing here, as far as i am concerned, you can sit as many times as you like, and only the highest score will be taken into account, and provided you have the cash. =) But the number of resits may surface too sooner or later, and it may not be in your favour. Twice is a reasonable number, but twenty times shows something else....

i'm not so sure about the "only highest score will be taken into account part..."

zAiTsEv
09-12-2005, 11:06 AM

thanks a bunch ;P

i'm not so sure about the "only highest score will be taken into account part..."

all the scores will be sent to the university, and it is up to the admission officers to decide.

hercules
09-12-2005, 02:25 PM
Questions
Thnxs

KYUEM is basically opened to those who meet their standards and have loads of cash in their pockets. So rich people, sponsored scholars usually go there.

INTEC is only for sponsored scholars if I am not mistaken. You can have a lot of money but i doubt you can enroll yourself as and when you like.

We have private students in INTEC yet the number is significantly
small.

jonnyl
09-12-2005, 05:05 PM
Opps, i was mistaken then...

chenchow
09-12-2005, 07:00 PM
Questions
Thnxs

The difference between INTEC and KYUEM is that both specialize on differnet programs.

INTEC focuses on preparatory program to US, UK Twinning, France, Germany, Korea, Middle East etc.

KYUEM focuses mainly on A Levels, so mainly those students that are going to UK.

Smilehoe
10-12-2005, 04:43 PM
Thanks Bush and Chenchow and Herculus for the explaination about Intec and Kyuem. Btw,
Chenchow wrote:

jonnyl wrote:
Alright, here goes then.

Scenario:

I would say that if you could get both ASEAN Scholarships and JPA Scholarships, you would have a very good option. For JPA Scholarship, basically, they could allow you to do any pre-U on your own, pending approval from them. Typically they would allow it, but you would have to fund yourself. And more importantly, you would have to get admission to the universities approved by JPA in the countries that you are supposed to study.

So, if let say you get JPA to study in Australia, then, you would need to get admission into those top universities that are approved by JPA. When you seek for approval to do pre-U on your own, you would be responsible for getting into the universities, and JPA would not fund your pre-U.

So, this means that if a person gets Asean scholarship and Jpa too, the person can do his A-levels in Singapore and then proceed to do the degree course overseas under Jpa scholarship? Has Jpa been known to approve such an arrangement before? Thanks

oneforthelord
12-12-2005, 10:48 AM
Yes they have, see the ASEAN scholarships thread in the Singapore Life SIG for more info:

http://www.recom.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2407&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=asean+scholarship&start=135

YJ
12-12-2005, 12:45 PM
Is there any scholarship/loan can be applied by using forecast result?
what is SAT?

bush
12-12-2005, 03:33 PM
past tense of sit......

oneforthelord
12-12-2005, 03:53 PM
Is there any scholarship/loan can be applied by using forecast result?
what is SAT?

Scholastic Aptitude Test. There is a SAT I and SAT II, SAT I is a general test of your reasoning and deductive abilities, SAT II is subject based. They are required for entry into many US universities and some non-US universities around the world. The tests are by the College Board in the US.

It's also cantonese for "kill".

chenchow
12-12-2005, 09:23 PM
Thanks Bush and Chenchow and Herculus for the explaination about Intec and Kyuem. Btw,
Chenchow wrote:

jonnyl wrote:
Alright, here goes then.

Scenario:

So, this means that if a person gets Asean scholarship and Jpa too, the person can do his A-levels in Singapore and then proceed to do the degree course overseas under Jpa scholarship? Has Jpa been known to approve such an arrangement before? Thanks

You could. Basically, you could apply from JPA to do preparatory program anywhere. But you are responsible for getting into the approved universities and major by JPA. If you fail to gain admission, your scholarship would be gone. So, if you are very confident of getting your place in the university in those top universities that JPA approves, then there is no problem. However, if you are going to Japan, Korea, France, Germany etc, where A Level is not accepted, then I would advise you to do the JPA preparatory program, as it would be almost impossible to get into the universities approved by JPA in those countries.

You could always do what most people do. Start ASEAN first, and once you get JPA, quit ASEAN and join JPA preparatory program. Of course, you would need to pay compensation for ASEAN.

use_nus
13-12-2005, 12:40 AM
have u all try this..
www.mnrb.com.my

seancl85
13-12-2005, 09:16 AM
anyway are there any scholarships for degree level courses that only use 1st sem results to apply...other than using stpm a levels or any pre-uni results?

DecentMerson
13-12-2005, 10:21 AM
anyway are there any scholarships for degree level courses that only use 1st sem results to apply...other than using stpm a levels or any pre-uni results?

u mean after ur 1st semester at University?? I've heard there are some after 1st year, not 1st sem though... and most are offered by some companies of related field/by the university itself.

Jhuen
13-12-2005, 05:23 PM
The only thing that sets KTJ, KYUEM apart is because they are boarding school.

An A grade from these schools is exactly the same as an A grade from TARC or Taylor's etc. The only difference is the fees that you pay. That explains why they charge astronomical fees for an A-level program, simply because big bodies are willing to pay.

it's true that kyuem's expensive, 60000 bucks for two years..but i dont think it's the only thing that sets the college apart from others..great facilities there..and students get a room to themselves!! :D

Smilehoe
14-12-2005, 09:43 PM
Chenchow wrote:

jonnyl wrote:
Alright, here goes then.

Scenario:

You could. Basically, you could apply from JPA to do preparatory program anywhere. But you are responsible for getting into the approved universities and major by JPA. If you fail to gain admission, your scholarship would be gone. So, if you are very confident of getting your place in the university in those top universities that JPA approves, then there is no problem. However, if you are going to Japan, Korea, France, Germany etc, where A Level is not accepted, then I would advise you to do the JPA preparatory program, as it would be almost impossible to get into the universities approved by JPA in those countries.

You could always do what most people do. Start ASEAN first, and once you get JPA, quit ASEAN and join JPA preparatory program. Of course, you would need to pay compensation for ASEAN.

What other countries recognise A level? What are the risks that may occur in applying to a university oversea on my own?
Can I finish the A level in Singapore under ASEAN scholarship and come back to start JPA preparatory programme? In this way I should be exempted from paying the compensation :lol: .The main thing is does JPA allow the delay for the preparatory programme?
Thanks.

jiinjoo
14-12-2005, 10:42 PM
have u all try this..
www.mnrb.com.my
Thank you use_nus for your information and welcome to ReCom.

If you look under Misc -> WebLinks -> Scholarships you'll find a collection of all the known scholarships for Malaysians. I've added your suggestion to the list.

bush
14-12-2005, 10:53 PM
Almost all countries recognise A-levels.

i don't know about the arrangement but it is definitely a waste of time to do two pre-u course.

oneforthelord
15-12-2005, 08:54 AM
Think about the loss in terms of opportunity cost. Why study 1-2 more years when you already have your pre-u qualifications? You'll lose out. The only reason for doing that is if you have absolutely no idea what you want to do in the future and just want to play it safe and keep your options open.

No point doing more than 1 pre-u when you know where you want to go and what you want to do!

jazz
15-12-2005, 11:01 AM
:idea: i'm jazz..juz finished my study in architeture in local u.
now i'm looking forward to further my study oversea..
juz wondering how to apply.. :?
i heard about a few student councils that can help people like me to get a place abroad...
but the big problem is to get the sponsor..either scholar or loan..
i dont know how..where..and what to do... :roll:

YJ
20-12-2005, 01:48 AM
1)I know from newspaper that actually for JPA scholarship, which country we go is depend on our result while at local College. How truth is this?
2) While doing preparation in college like Kolej MARA Banting, ALM etc? What subject we have to take up?
3) Are the subjects like STPM one?
4) What is the different between A level, matriculation, IB, ATU, SAT, STPM etc?? All is Pre-U right?
5) If I apply for Biotech in UK(JPA) as well as MARA, can I change my course to medic? While in UK or when doing 2 year preparation in college?
6) What is actuarial science?
7) What is actuarist?

masdie
20-12-2005, 02:11 AM
1)I know from newspaper that actually for JPA scholarship, which country we go is depend on our result while at local College. How truth is this?

Usually JPA will offer you a course in a country and you'll be working your ass towards that goal during Pre-U. Unfortunately, once in a while some donkeys will screw up their results and once in a while JPA will send them elsewhere. But I heard stories about JPA scholars in MARA Banting drawing lots to see where they end up in. However, these are all stories I heard, I cannot confirm it.

2) While doing preparation in college like Kolej MARA Banting, ALM etc? What subject we have to take up?
]3) Are the subjects like STPM one?

Different courses have different requirements.

4) What is the different between A level, matriculation, IB, ATU, SAT, STPM etc?? All is Pre-U right?

Oh. you're perfectly right. There're absolutely no difference. Just close your eyes and pick one. It's all the same. Wow, you smart you!

5) If I apply for Biotech in UK(JPA) as well as MARA, can I change my course to medic? While in UK or when doing 2 year preparation in college?

Well of course my dear! Just close your eyes and pick one course. Not satisfied? Close your eyes and pick another one! JPA would be glad to change them for you.

It's a science subject whereby people say actuary instead of actually. Cool eh?

7) What is actuarist?

An actuarist is a person who says actuary instead of actually. They usually complete a very intensive course which they call actuary science.

PS: I know I've been a lot of help but you know what? Don't bother thanking me. I'm glad to be able to help.

flibbertigibbet
20-12-2005, 11:21 AM
Usually the country you are bound to pursue your tertiary education is fixed so that you can take up the right pre-U course. Only if you somehow screw up and fail to get admitted into any of the specified university in that particular country will things change.

As masdie said, different courses have different requirements. Check the prospectus of your desired universities. By the way, ALM is not a college, but the abbreviation of a programme offered in INTEC. ALM = A Level Medicine.

3) Are the subjects like STPM one?
Well, pre-U subjects are almost the same. Say you are going to further your studies in the science field, you can never get away from Chemistry.

All are pre-U studies. And you choose to study only one of them depending on which country you are bound to go after that.

Please do choose your course carefully when applying for scholarships. It would be hard to change your course once you are offered a scholarship.

7) What is actuarist?
Check out more here (http://www.recom.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=706&highlight=actuary) in ReCom. Other useful link: Be An Actuary (http://www.beanactuary.org/)

Hope that helps.

YJ
20-12-2005, 11:44 PM
Thanks Masdie and flibbertigibbet in advance.
I have some other questions.
1.What is ADFP?

2.In science field we only can choose either biology or chemistry right? Or for some Genius?take both. So, the other subjects compulsory are mathematic, chemistry, and English language? 4 subjects overall?

3.How come some people say IB is harder compare to other Pre-u like ATU?

4.I had seen some Recomers wrote that for pre-u?s (if I was not mistaken)some brand is good while some are not? However I never seen before, the brand of the book they wrote.
It is just some strange name(for me, maybe I haven?t get used of those name). It is not like SPM book like Pelangi, Fajar Bakti

DecentMerson
21-12-2005, 12:22 AM
Thanks Masdie and flibbertigibbet in advance.
I have some other questions.
1.What is ADFP?
ADFP - American Degree Foundation Program... it's a rather 'special' term coined by INTEC, UiTM Shah Alam... in local colleges, they use ADP - American Degree Program... there are different in many ways, 1 is because ADFP is only an one year program, and then, students transfer to US uni, hence the foundation... while ADP, normally students study 2/3 years and then, transfer to US uni...

2.In science field we only can choose either biology or chemistry right? Or for some Genius?take both. So, the other subjects compulsory are mathematic, chemistry, and English language? 4 subjects overall?
not really... i've seen quite a number of ppl taking both bio and chem... well... there's biochem....

compulsory subjects for wat? as far as I know, there isn't a rule restricting u to take some particular subjects... just that some subjects are more related to the field of study one chooses...

3.How come some people say IB is harder compare to other Pre-u like ATU?
because it is harder? IB is a 2 years program... and it is recognized almost everywhere (the syllabus is wider and u learn more stuffs in general)... just like Matriks and STPM...(u'll be surprised how widely recognized STPM is)

4.I had seen some Recomers wrote that for pre-u?s (if I was not mistaken)some brand is good while some are not? However I never seen before, the brand of the book they wrote.
It is just some strange name(for me, maybe I haven?t get used of those name). It is not like SPM book like Pelangi, Fajar Bakti
that refers to? publishers???
u mean Barron's, Princeton Review and all? well, those are SAT prep books.. or some other foreign exams prep books... that's why no local publishers

myc04
21-12-2005, 11:06 PM
Hi, I have a few questions (JPA_KOR)

1. Can I enroll into a university right after SPM? I'm really interested to study in Korea.
2. How hard is it to get a JPA scholarship?
3. Even if I can't get the JPA scholarship, I can still get the loan to study in Korea?

Thanks

n_uay
22-12-2005, 12:28 AM

1. Can I enroll into a university right after SPM? I'm really interested to study in Korea.
3. Even if I can't get the JPA scholarship, I can still get the loan to study in Korea?

Thanks

Basically you will have to finish a 3 month course in INTEC before you can fly to Korea.

I remember my teacher once told me that getting JPA scholarship is just like winning lottery. Well, It's hard, since straight As nowadays can never guarantee you a scholarship anymore.

Sorry, I don't have the answer for Q3

day-dreamer
22-12-2005, 01:46 AM
Erm... can anyone shed some light on what scholarships are opened for applications right now? Thank you in advance!

jeremy3232
22-12-2005, 12:17 PM
heylo, juz want to ask one silly qs here, where can we actually get those application forms? through Internet? or do we need to go to the offices to do so?

myc04
22-12-2005, 03:06 PM

Thanks

Basically you will have to finish a 3 month course in INTEC before you can fly to Korea.

I remember my teacher once told me that getting JPA scholarship is just like winning lottery. Well, It's hard, since straight As nowadays can never guarantee you a scholarship anymore.

OMG you serious? I can skip all the STPM/A levels etc?

YOU'RE MY LIFE SAVIOUR~

*studies extra hard*

bush
22-12-2005, 03:30 PM

Thanks

OMG you serious? I can skip all the STPM/A levels etc?

YOU'RE MY LIFE SAVIOUR~

*studies extra hard*

...provided you are a JPA scholar......JPA will have their own preparatory programs.

If you are entering the university by yourself, you can't escape from the pre-u courses.

myc04
22-12-2005, 04:42 PM
I found this link :
http://jade.kampus17.uitm.edu.my/portal/info_korean.htm

So, the 3 months will be spent learning Korean. What if I'm already fluent in Korean? But spending 1.5 years in Korea learing Korean sounds fun because I've always wanted to ..get to know the culture. :D

Another question, will the JPA hand out a specific amount ot scholarships or are the based on the countries you're interested in?

Like if 1000 people wanna further their studies in the US, and only a handful of people are applying for Japan. So does that make it harder to get a scholarship to the US as compared to Japan?

Thanks a lot :)

It's hard to get a JPA scholarship, but it's even harder to get a scholarship to the country you wanna go to right? :( But it seems like Korea isn't a very popular choice and many who applied for other countries got Korea. so yeah =/

aikws
23-12-2005, 08:34 PM
Well, I am new here. Regarding scholarships for students who have finished SPM, the list is a very good one. Give them a try!

If you fail in your application for a scholarship now, do not give up. Do a pre-U course and apply to your dream universities. The key is, get a place first, then only source for financial aid. Many students thought that not getting a scholarship, they should not apply to universities overseas. Well, that should not be the way. If you try, you stand a chance.

Remember, apply to the universities first, financial aid is the last thing to worry about.

windhoe2
23-12-2005, 10:17 PM
Hello All,

I would like to introduce myself first. I am a malaysian student who is currently furthering my medicine course in Trinity College Dublin, Ireland.(1st year)

Ok.Let kick it started. Actually, I did visit this forum around early this year. I found out that there are many useful advices to students who are aspiring to obtain priceless Scholarship.

In fact, I am a JPA-Sponsored student. I am lucky enough to get my scholarship on june 2003(my spm is taken on 2002)

After getting the scholarship, I did my 2 years preparatory course A level in taylors college Subang Jaya. Actually, I was given by JPA an United Kingdom scholarship. However, it is far too hard to get a place in united kingdom for medical course. It is highly soughted and very limited.

Getting a scholarship is just a first step. There are more hurdles in front of us after that. Because all application is carried out by scholars, JPA wont play any part in ur future university's placement for United kingdom, Ireland,US and Australia.

Luckily, I can get a medical place in this prestigous university in Ireland currently.I do enjoy the course here very much. It is problem-based learning and the number of classmates is very small. Every year only approximately 120 students (local+international) are getting enrolled.

In my class, there are about 17 malaysians( there are more MARA sponsor scholars, only 4 Jpa scholars here this year)

Ok.So, if anyone have any questions about JPA scholarship for UK and Ireland in particular, I will be able to give some token of advice If it is within my knowledge.

You can send me email or add me in msn messenger.. windhoe2@<hidden>

take care all and good luck in all studies.

Patrick
24-12-2005, 01:51 PM

First, let me introduce myself. I'm a first year student in KMB (Kolej Mara Banting) studying the IB, sponsored by JPA (UK). I'll give you the info from the KMB perspective.

1. JPA scholars here are bounded either to UK or Ireland. Courses offered are medicine, dentistry, and pharmacy. As long as these scholars meet the cut-off point of 34 points (out of 45 points), they're safe. And they will be sent to their respective destinations as long as they can secure a place in their designated countries. However, if they fail, they can choose other countries. E.g A UK-bound scholar can choose to go to Ireland, Australia blablabla. An Irish-bound scholar can choose to go to Australia, blablabla but not the UK.

MARA scholars, on the other hand are not bounded to any country. Their results will determine their placement. Usually, the top 20 students in each year will be sent to the UK, provided that they manage to get a place in a university there. Other destinations include Ireland, Australia, India, Indonesia, and even our own country. (Not very sure about India and Indonesia though). Only medicine for MARA scholars.

Petronas also sends some of their scholars to study IB here. Courses include Geology, and mostly engineering courses. Petronas scholars here cannot go to the UK unless if they manage to get to Oxbridge.

There are also KPM students here. (Kementerian Pendidikan Malaysia) They're going to study overseas and return as teachers or university lecturers.

There's also a small number of JPA scholars doing Actuarial Science.

Out of the student population of about 800, 10% are JPA scholars, 10% are Petronas scholars, and the rest are MARA scholars.

bush
24-12-2005, 02:34 PM
I think petronas is being quite narrow for limiting the choices to just oxbridge........when we talk about engineering, we can't possibly not include imperial, can we?

masdie
24-12-2005, 11:31 PM
Remember, apply to the universities first, financial aid is the last thing to worry about.

It's always nice to see a couple of young M'sian blood with burning desire to succeed.

However, we're not living in an ideal world. Yes, you may apply to top schools around the world. But there's always a chance that you might not get sponsored. What if those need-blind universities reject you? What if the university that accepts you only offers a grant that covers 50% of your tuition fees?

Okay, so you might be looking for sponsors yourself. But what if you can't find any? No one can be 100% sure that he'll get what he wants.

I always believe in a back-up plan. Please. Always have something to fall back onto if your path is blocked.

I'm not trying to 'splash cold water' but I hate to see people get stuck when their dreams are shattered.

Do whatever you want as long as you don't screw up your life.

Good luck!

hepaticbile
25-12-2005, 11:46 AM
reading all these posts about scholarships and sponsorships is driving me crazy coz i feel like i'm missing out! i barely know a thing, save MARA and JPA :cry: can anyone please help me and list all the possible scholarships i can apply for for a course in medicine? and law? hehe, and if possible links or something to get further information. trimas!!! i would really appreciate it. i'm starting to manifest pure panic here 8O

hepaticbile
25-12-2005, 11:48 AM
oh yes happy christmas by the way! (come to think of it, i don't know if anyone'd reply my posts anytime soon, seeing it's christmas...)

kamilchan
25-12-2005, 03:32 PM
hey patrick, ur in IB? first year? what class?
i'm in mo5E, jpa also.dentistry.
come on hepaticbile (how do u pronounce it anyway?) there's like many scholarships waiting out there, it's just whether u get it or u don't. here's some, BNM(bank negara), PETRONAS, even ASTRO got, other private company's, even colleges can sponsor you, like KYUEM, or penang international school. angkatan tentera malaysia also provides scholarships, JPA and Mara ofcourse..then you have KPM..and others
remember don't be shy to ask. and be prepared.

Patrick
25-12-2005, 08:00 PM
I'm in M05A, yea, IB, first year.

For medicine, you have :
1. JPA
2. MARA
3. PETRONAS (VERY LIMITED, Less than 5 each year)
4. BANK NEGARA (If you're the top 3 in the country, you can choose whatever you want, wherever you want, with no bonds)
5. SOME ARMY SCHOLARSHIP
6. You might even want to get a scholarship for Pre-U courses first before applying for a medical scholarship later.
Taylors - A Levels (Many other colleges too)
Uplands - International Baccalaureate

YJ
25-12-2005, 10:55 PM
1) Sorry, I was wrongly typed it is either biology or physic, choose one. For Pre-u, Chemistry and math are compulsory right? For other Pre-u like ATU, IB etc, is there any other subjects (science field) other than biology, physic, chemistry and math?
2) Yup. Can explain more on SAT? Which Pre-U take up SAT exam? Or SAT is an exam similar to MUET? That mean students in IB, ATU don?t use books published by local publisher? They use foreign publisher like Barron's, Princeton Review?
3) Why there are American Degree Foundation Program 2years and American Degree Program 1year? Why don?t jus choose American degree program? Because also go to US and save one year there.
4) And I don?t know how to quote?
[/list][/url]

bush
25-12-2005, 11:29 PM
SAT and MUET are entirely different things. Also, anyone can take the SATs regardless of what course one is doing.

All pre-u courses will have their own set of text, since IB, A-levels, SAM, etc are foreign courses, the books too would mostly be foreign.

Don't get confused by the terms ATU, ADFP, ADP and ADTP, yes the A stands for american.....

ATU and ADFP are terms closely associated to some sort of a scholarship. SPM-freshies who are selected to study in the states would typically be put into INTEC where they would be coached to write admission essays and taught some stuff to prepare them for the SATs.(The student can apply to whatever approved university the student wants) Lets say all goes well and the student is admitted into a university, the student would start the course as a freshman.

That explains a lot when we say american degree foundation program(ADFP) for studies at american top universities(ATU).

ADP and ADTP are equivalent terms commonly used by private colleges in malaysia. These programs are usually taken by non-scholars. SPM freshies can enroll themselves in such a program in say HELP or Taylor's where they would study for 1/2/3 years before TRANSFERING their credits to certain universities in the US. They would enter the university as a transfer student, usually as a sophomore or a junior. As you can see, they are seeking admission as a transfer student, not as a freshman, so they need not take the SATs.

kamilchan
26-12-2005, 12:01 AM
yea, IB got Malay A1, English B, agama for muslims, then we have Business studies/ economics/ITGS. all in all, we have to take 6 subjects, where medicine students have to tak bm, eng, maths, bio, chem, and either three of business/econs/ITGS. for engineering students, just change bio with physics..
i think IB is quite relaxing, imean for the first sem..
patrick, block C issit?..i think i know u by face.

Jhuen
26-12-2005, 10:40 PM
hey patrick, ur in IB? first year? what class?
i'm in mo5E, jpa also.dentistry.
here's some, BNM(bank negara), PETRONAS, even ASTRO got, other private company's, even colleges can sponsor you, like KYUEM, or penang international school. remember don't be shy to ask. and be prepared.
erm, have to correct u a bit there..kyuem does not offer any scholarships..only uem group does,about 5 a year...the college itself does not offer scholarships..

Iraka
27-12-2005, 04:09 AM
Greetings all. I'll have to admit that this is probably the first time I've ever posted on this site.

Anyways, I was wondering whether any of you could offer me some advice on scholarships. Originally, my mother was pushing for me to get a petronas scholarship (after I get my spm results). But after looking through the array of courses they have, I'm afraid I'm not too keen on any of them...

What I'm looking for is a scholarship that would help me get to a course on biological science, preferably concerning genetics. Is JPA an option? And if so, what are the requirements and how do I go about applying once I get my results? If not, do I have any other options (specific college scholarships etc.)?

Thanks in advance.

Patrick
27-12-2005, 10:59 AM
Since you're going for biological science, the ASEAN scholarship may be suitable for you.
I guess the selection for the first batch is already over, so the 2nd one will be coming soon.

It'll let you pursue GCE A Levels in one of the junior colleges in Singapore. It's going to depend on the impression that you give in your selection test, which is going to be a maths test, an english test, and an IQ test.

I suppose that they put high weightage on the IQ test, so doing well in that will be a great advantage.

Yea, JPA is definitely another option to pursue biological science.
For this, you'll have to wait until your SPM results are out.
When I say wait, don't sit back and relax. Practise your speech, improve your communication skills, smile (practise your smile in front of a mirror).

CrosshaRe
27-12-2005, 12:43 PM
Hi guys, new kid on the block here..
I'm waiting for my SPM results now, and given all that time, I'm researching about this scholarship business. Now thanks to this site, a clearer picture has been painted. :D
So with all this info, what's my next move? I mean what happens between now and march when I get my results? Is the application for scholarships open. If not, when is it? Is it a different date for JPA, MARA, Petronas, etc?
Also, if nothing is going on, will it hurt for me to take a holiday in UK for a few weeks?
Thanks in advance.

kamilchan
27-12-2005, 03:03 PM
dear crosshare, it won't hurt if you go on holiday, but remember to always be updated with the current issues here in malaysia, as interviewers will certainly ask about them during the scholarship interviews.
so now it's the time to enjoy lah, u've finished spm, did u get pkn? if no then how about i suggest u to find a job that will sumhow be beneficial, like improve ur communication skills, blabla and blabla.. during this period last year, i wasted lots of time at home.
and, read newspapers everyday, try to find articles or adv about sponsorships, scholars.
and the offers will be opened after the results come out, but you can try to apply to others using ur trial results (im not that sure) thats all.

chenchow
28-12-2005, 06:49 PM
It seems that the questions on scholarship issues are picking up, and I seriously encouraging all those SPM leavers (SPM 2005 students) to start your preparation for scholarship interviews and applications early on.

Some of the stuff that you could do would be to get your certificates and other stuff certified. It would prevent you from getting it ready at the last minute.

Be prepared with formal interview clothes. That would save you the hassle at the last minute too.

In terms of scholarship information, please feel free to post it here. We would try our best to respond. In case, if your question is not answered within a day or two, please repost it again, as there tends to be a lot of questions, and hence, the questions may somehow not get answered.

In terms of course selection, you would need to make your choices very carefully. It can't be random selection, as each course would provide you with different probability of getting the scholarship. For JPA specifically, those applying medicine would all be put into one group, all those applying engineering in one group, basically the same case for each major, a group per major, and for those who are applying to Japan, Korea, Germany and France, each of those would be on a group of its own.

In terms of pre-u, basically select the ones that suit the country that you would want to go to.

For country selection, basically, JPA would allocate to you based on your achievements. You would be given opportunities to state your preference, but traditionally, country like US and UK would be the toughest one to get, besides Australia too.

Changing course and country would be very difficult. There are cases of those who manage to successfully persuading JPA to change their courses or countries, but the success rate of changing is very low.

And getting JPA scholarships do not guarantee you a place in the university. For instance, if you get scholarship to US, and say you are studying electrical engineering, JPA would provide you a list of about 10 universities that it recognizes. (The list is something like MIT, Stanford, Princeton, Cornell, Columbia, Illinois, Michigan, USC, CMU, Purdue etc), and you would need to get into one of these universities for that major, to get the opportunities to go abroad. So, the ball is on you.

okie, I will stop here. Please feel free to post questions here, and I really urge those ReComers, especially SPM leavers to start preparation, and also hope that you would help us to spread the words about ReCom.org . The more people ReCom has the better the quality of discussion, and sharing of information would be. Really hope that those of you with information would share and learn together with others. With this, everyone would gain benefit from it.

I would also urge those ReComers who have been successful in getting scholarships, to share your experience and information over here. This is especially so for those who have gotten information here in ReCom for the past few years to contribute towards the sharing process.

ReCom is only as good as its network. And lets work together towards helping ReCom to help a much greater number of deserving Malaysians with scholarships abroad. Last year, at least 150 ReComers, who have posted in ReCom, manage to obtain scholarships to study abroad.

Gabriel
29-12-2005, 12:30 PM
Is the application for scholarships open. If not, when is it? Is it a different date for JPA, MARA, Petronas, etc?

ermmm...the petronas scholarship for the first batch-which you apply using your forecast result is currently closed...but the one using your real result will start right after the release of the SPM result,so beware. And, the dates for different scholarships are different in anyways...by the way, for those who are interested in Star scholarship, the application form/advertisement will be out around these few weeks ,try to check out the star website and Star newspaper...Good luck.

myc04
29-12-2005, 11:28 PM
^ For the 1st batch, do they get to enroll in a university before the 2nd batch? or do they start on the same date?

Patrick
30-12-2005, 01:08 AM
^ For the 1st batch, do they get to enroll in a university before the 2nd batch? or do they start on the same date?

They get enrolled earlier.

AtMostFear
01-01-2006, 01:21 AM
I am not sure if this has been asked before or not, but here it goes...

I just got an offer letter to get into UTP under MARA scholarship for January intake (14th January) using my trial results. I heard from my school councellor that if I accept this offer, I will have only a small chance of getting MARA scholarship for programs after the SPM result is out, is that true? and what are the examples of programs for MARA scholarship using the SPM results? is it better than UTP? is it easier to get? please, I am really confused whether to accept this offer or not... :?

lolilo
02-01-2006, 03:46 PM

I just got an offer letter to get into UTP under MARA scholarship for January intake (14th January) using my trial results. I heard from my school councellor that if I accept this offer, I will have only a small chance of getting MARA scholarship for programs after the SPM result is out, is that true? and what are the examples of programs for MARA scholarship using the SPM results? is it better than UTP? is it easier to get? please, I am really confused whether to accept this offer or not... :?

I am just talking based on what i have seen here. Most of my friends, though they get the UTP offers from Mara, they still get the overseas JPA and MARA scholarships, provided your spm results are good.

The examples of MARA scholarship? More or less like JPA's. It's all stated in the JPA//MARA scholarship application form. Oh, but one thing, for the medical scholars who got offers to do IB from MARA, does not get to choose their places which they would like to further their studies...( patrick or someone please verify)

Patrick
02-01-2006, 06:33 PM

I am just talking based on what i have seen here. Most of my friends, though they get the UTP offers from Mara, they still get the overseas JPA and MARA scholarships, provided your spm results are good.

The examples of MARA scholarship? More or less like JPA's. It's all stated in the JPA//MARA scholarship application form. Oh, but one thing, for the medical scholars who got offers to do IB from MARA, does not get to choose their places which they would like to further their studies...( patrick or someone please verify)

You're absolutely right about that part.
They get scholarships to study medicine overseas, but their destinations will depend on their results. About 20 get chosen out of 300 MARA scholars each year. (In Kolej Mara Banting itself)

AtMostFear
02-01-2006, 07:06 PM
thanks for the replies guys.

but for now, what do you guys think? should I take the offer or not? I am really into engineering and the course offered is Mechanical Engineering. Is it true that UTP graduates will be hired by Petronas when they finish their studies? I read the terms and conditions in the offer letter, and if I'm not mistaken it says that if I take this offer, MARA won't sponsor me for other program (if I want to change) after this, which means I'll have to find other sponsors.

should I just grab this opportunity and try to find other sponsors (if there's a better program) after the actual SPM result is out? :?

Edit: Does anyone know if the Educamp result (forecast) is out or not? they still haven't update their website yet. or they just send out letters to those who got it? :?

day-dreamer
06-01-2006, 01:27 AM
Be prepared with formal interview clothes. That would save you the hassle at the last minute too.

I have to say, I have found many helpful information in this thread and may they keep rolling in.

Well, since chenchow has mentioned it, allow me to ask this question (though it might sound stupid). How do one define formal interview clothes? I appeal to whoever bound to answer this question of mine to kindly differentiate the attire between males and females.

Thank you in advance.

zell_ll
06-01-2006, 01:59 AM
I don't know about MARA scholars in IB, but for MARA scholars in KYUEM doing A-level, all of them going to do medical course in any UK universities(which they will apply through UCAS)...they also can apply to Ireland, New Zealand and Australia..but if i not mistaken there only 10 MARA scholars in KYUEM for July 2005 intakes(all of them medical course)..and it is possible to get MARA scholarship for oversea programme if u already enrol to UTP using forecast result..my friends in KYUEM still get MARA scholarship to do medicine in UK after he got a real SPM result although he already in UTP that time..and for your infomation..MARA scholars only get rm50 for monthly pocket money in Malaysia whereas JPA give you rm70.. :D

chenchow
06-01-2006, 08:58 AM
For interview attire, for guys, I would say that long sleeve with tie, and if you want, you could wear a coat/suit too. The blazer from your secondary school would work too (especially the ones that the prefects wear).

For girls, it would be formal, like business wear (long sleeve with skirt (longer than knee length), or dress (longer than knee length), or long sleeve with formal long pants, or baju kebaya/kurung etc.

juventus
06-01-2006, 01:10 PM
thanks for the replies guys.

but for now, what do you guys think? should I take the offer or not? I am really into engineering and the course offered is Mechanical Engineering. Is it true that UTP graduates will be hired by Petronas when they finish their studies? I read the terms and conditions in the offer letter, and if I'm not mistaken it says that if I take this offer, MARA won't sponsor me for other program (if I want to change) after this, which means I'll have to find other sponsors.

should I just grab this opportunity and try to find other sponsors (if there's a better program) after the actual SPM result is out? :?

Edit: Does anyone know if the Educamp result (forecast) is out or not? they still haven't update their website yet. or they just send out letters to those who got it? :?

the results are out although none of my friends managed to get their first choice.

which brings me to my question. should they offer local only, is it viable to accept the offer? the course commences on jan 14. what are the merits of it or the lack of merits that is..? haha..

reign226
08-01-2006, 10:17 AM
This is about the Star Education Fund 2006. What are the Referees for? Do I just put in names of my friends?

khor_albert
08-01-2006, 04:25 PM
This is about the Star Education Fund 2006. What are the Referees for? Do I just put in names of my friends?Referees are people who are close to you, and will speak up for you. They are normally your class teachers, subject teachers or employers(if you have worked before). About putting friends as referees, I am not too sure.

Tasslehoff
08-01-2006, 11:30 PM
hmm, MARA scholarships are for bumi only right? Star scholarships are for local unis only?

elixis
09-01-2006, 11:35 AM
:( nobody reply my questions yet... i've ask that if u guys can state any scholarships that is available for JAP and KOR and the scholarships requirement.. and i've just finish form 5.. i post this question a lot of times and yet nobody care to answer it.. :( :( [/quote]

Patrick
09-01-2006, 01:04 PM
hmm, MARA scholarships are for bumi only right? Star scholarships are for local unis only?

I know of some Chinese and Indian MARA scholars.
Their parents are working for MARA.

Elixis, relax.

andrewlza
09-01-2006, 01:49 PM
elixis,

check out the monbugakusho scholarship. it's for japan. i have no idea what the requirements are, but you can definitely find out more by googling it.

i don't know anything about korea though.

good luck!

DecentMerson
09-01-2006, 03:01 PM

Elixis, relax.

Chinese and Indian MARA scholars??? hmmm, that's interesting

Jhuen
09-01-2006, 04:08 PM

Elixis, relax.

errm i've met Mara scholars who arent malays, but are bumi...chinese and indians???that's new :P

Patrick
09-01-2006, 05:56 PM

Elixis, relax.

errm i've met Mara scholars who arent malays, but are bumi...chinese and indians???that's new :P

Yeah but they're the rare species you know.
I guess that's one of the privileges if your parents work for MARA.

Work for MARA and get a 1 million dollar scholarship for your child!
How nice.

juventus
09-01-2006, 07:33 PM
i don't know where to post this topic

what do u guys think of biotech in terms of career prospects and chances of getting jpa?

i've been juggling between engineering and biotech but i'm still unsure..

engineering vs biotech

plz plz..i need some advice here

shihnobie
10-01-2006, 03:51 PM
Anyone here going to INTEC this 17th Jan 2006 (EDUCAMPers Dec'05)?

reign226
10-01-2006, 04:23 PM
wah, every tom, dick and harry i know are getting in on the biotech orgy ni... lol. Erm, well I think it's better to get a degree that has a basis in engineering but also overlaps into the biotech field.

Engineering is quite an 'old' profession and thus commends respect as well as having the necessary guidelines, guilds and code of ethics of a respectable field. Calling youself an Engineer is like calling yourself a Doctor or Lawyer, and if you don't pass the right qualifying exams, it's actually a felony to call yourself an engineer (but people don't make much of a fuss out of it...).

Software Engineering is probably one of the best example of a misleading degree. There is NO software engineer because it's a relatively new field and therefore does not have the necessary, how do I say, history. This is unlike Civil and E&E, which has been around for quite some time.

Therefore it is best to choose a degree that gives you a TRUE engineering background (instead of, say, New and Hot University's latest Computer Software Synergistic Engineering with Biotech and Biochemical Doctorate). Insofar as I know, the best degree should be one that combines Chemistry and Biology, as they are complementary to each other and still gives you a good footing and mindset as an engineer.

However, I don't know much about newer degrees that focus solely on Biotech though.

4seasonspring
11-01-2006, 10:20 AM
Hi there.

I?m a new member who just registered on 31 Dec 2005. I?ve just finished my SPM, and now, I?m undergoing the National Service training in Kedah. I?m having my Raya Haji?s break and will continue my training this afternoon before I come back again on 27 Jan 2006. I have doubts on which path I should choose after my results come out. So, I?ve a few questions to ask here, and I hope someone out there can reply my questions during my absence.

1. When will the SPM results come out?
2. Can anybody state out the available courses for JPA_GER?
3. Can anybody list out the available scholarships offered for medicine and pharmacy?
4. What are Germany Engineering and French Engineering all about?(I mean what we learn if we take Germany Engineering or French Engineering) Is it possible to get a job in Malaysia in Malaysia if I take these kind of courses after my bond with the government finish?
5. What?s the difference between Germany Engineering or French Engineering with other forms of engineering courses? Are they conducted in German or French language?
6. Is JPA scholarship availabled just for SPM leavers? One of my teachers told me that the government will give only 30% of the scholarships for SPM leavers this year, and the rest for the STPM/A-levels leavers. How far is this statement true?

I sincerely hope that someone out there can lend me a help?.I eagerly hoping for that!!....^^

follown
11-01-2006, 04:01 PM
hey guys I'm back! the SAT guy is back with more questions lol.

So yep, got my prep books (kaplan etc) ready etc. Checked out collegeboard.com and it states June 3, 2006 as the final batch; was wondering if I could actually make it into US uni regular action for year 2006 (found out that americans traditionally start edu session around fall season - Aug-Sep) if I were to take the late exam schedule; June 3, 2006.

Kaplan prep book doesnt say anything about the timing etc (they just have the schedules etc printed). Plan to take the exam as late as possible due to prep issues, wouldnt wanna flunk it :P

Any idea? recommendations? etc?

bush
11-01-2006, 04:24 PM
competitive schools....NO....only schools with rolling application may allow you to join in.

chenchow
11-01-2006, 08:46 PM
Hi there.

I?m a new member who just registered on 31 Dec 2005. I?ve just finished my SPM, and now, I?m undergoing the National Service training in Kedah. I?m having my Raya Haji?s break and will continue my training this afternoon before I come back again on 27 Jan 2006. I have doubts on which path I should choose after my results come out. So, I?ve a few questions to ask here, and I hope someone out there can reply my questions during my absence.

1. When will the SPM results come out?
2. Can anybody state out the available courses for JPA_GER?
3. Can anybody list out the available scholarships offered for medicine and pharmacy?
4. What are Germany Engineering and French Engineering all about?(I mean what we learn if we take Germany Engineering or French Engineering) Is it possible to get a job in Malaysia in Malaysia if I take these kind of courses after my bond with the government finish?
5. What?s the difference between Germany Engineering or French Engineering with other forms of engineering courses? Are they conducted in German or French language?
6. Is JPA scholarship availabled just for SPM leavers? One of my teachers told me that the government will give only 30% of the scholarships for SPM leavers this year, and the rest for the STPM/A-levels leavers. How far is this statement true?

I sincerely hope that someone out there can lend me a help?.I eagerly hoping for that!!....^^

1. Around end of Feb or early March.
2. Mainly engineering courses.
3. JPA & MARA are the main ones. Other sponsors may offer a few places, like Petronas.
4. You would have a lot of advantage when you come back, as there would be a lot of French and German investments in Malaysia, and you are a Malaysian who has been educated in France/Germany, so it would be great idea for those firms to hire you, as you would know both local and French/German culture.
5. They are conducted in French and German language. Pretty much, the emphasis and focus may differ, but their quality is very high too.
6. For overseas scholarships, as of now, JPA scholarships are only for SPM leavers.

chenchow
11-01-2006, 08:48 PM
hey guys I'm back! the SAT guy is back with more questions lol.

So yep, got my prep books (kaplan etc) ready etc. Checked out collegeboard.com and it states June 3, 2006 as the final batch; was wondering if I could actually make it into US uni regular action for year 2006 (found out that americans traditionally start edu session around fall season - Aug-Sep) if I were to take the late exam schedule; June 3, 2006.

Kaplan prep book doesnt say anything about the timing etc (they just have the schedules etc printed). Plan to take the exam as late as possible due to prep issues, wouldnt wanna flunk it :P

Any idea? recommendations? etc?

For most of the top universities, application deadline would be by dec 05 or jan 06 for admission in Aug 06. There are some good universities where their admission is on rolling basis, but taking SAT in June 06 is too late, as most of the decent universities would have filled up their spot by the time you apply, since you would only get your results a few weeks after your SAT.

Punisher
11-01-2006, 10:43 PM
Hi there, I was introduced to this forum by a senior. I need some idea on what should I do next, I've finished my 'A' levels, I was an ASEAN Scholar, I took triple science. Now I'm not really sure of what to do or where to start searching for scholarships and information for further studies.

It would be kind of you to help me out by giving me some pointers and advice.

What other scholarships are available provided by local Malaysian agencies that I can apply for.

Other than going back to Singapore which is the main trend of all Malaysian ASEAN scholars to further their studies, is there any other places I can consider with sponsorship. I've heard that JPA is already out my league, so please, anyone could just leave me some pointers...THANKS LOT

bush
11-01-2006, 11:58 PM
You can try the States.

juventus
12-01-2006, 01:01 AM
actually, from what i heard from those in charge of ASEAN, u can't go back to Malaysia to study in public U (something bout Malaysian government not recognising Spore's cert - correct me if I'm wrong!!).

but there are always the private u or colls. n i think u can get scholarships from there as well.

the best in going back to spore and US.

it seems spore corporations offer many scholarships to ASEAN leavers, check them out. what countries they offer i do not know. but i'm sure others can help.

best of luck!

follown
12-01-2006, 03:24 PM
@<hidden> bush & chenchow,

thanks for the heads up, and I googled up some stuffs about rolling admissions etc.

Just a few more questions; since I aspire to attend one of the top business schools (hbs, wharton etc), does it imply that 1 year's delay is inevitable (since there are no "late action" whatsoever, only regular action)? meaning I'll have to wait till jan 2007? (f5 in 2005 - spm leaver)

chenchow
12-01-2006, 07:03 PM
@<hidden> bush & chenchow,

thanks for the heads up, and I googled up some stuffs about rolling admissions etc.

Just a few more questions; since I aspire to attend one of the top business schools (hbs, wharton etc), does it imply that 1 year's delay is inevitable (since there are no "late action" whatsoever, only regular action)? meaning I'll have to wait till jan 2007? (f5 in 2005 - spm leaver)

For application to US universities, applying by Dec 06/Jan 07, would mean that you would be studying there in Aug 07. That is for undergraduate studies.

For business schools like Harvard Business School, it is only for MBA level, and hence you would need a basic bachelor's degree, plus another two years or so of working experience, before you can even apply to attend Harvard Business School.

For Wharton Business School, there are some places for undergraduates, and it would be based on the time frame above, Aug 07 entrance.

You could take SAT while you are in Form 5, and apply on your own just immediately after you take your SPM. However, there is no harm applying after doing a year or so of pre-university program (A Level, STPM etc)

chenchow
16-01-2006, 08:06 PM
Since this thread is bumped down, I just bumped it up again.

To those who are looking for scholarships, please feel free to post any question here.

lXl
17-01-2006, 12:07 AM
patrick wrote

How nice.

i thought that 5 % of the MARA scholarship is allocated for the non-bumis. izit or the policy has been changed ?

chenchow
17-01-2006, 07:22 PM
patrick wrote

How nice.

i thought that 5 % of the MARA scholarship is allocated for the non-bumis. izit or the policy has been changed ?

As far as I know, this policy (of MARA scholarship is only for bumiputera) has been consistent for the past few years that I am aware of. And I do believe that this has been the policy since a long time.

chenchow
17-01-2006, 07:38 PM
For preparation for scholarships post-SPM, do try your best to prepare early.

The links in ReCom that could help you, including this thread for you to ask any question on scholarships.

For interview questions, do post at:-
here (http://www.recom.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3431#75611)

For questions from last year's discussion on interview, do read at:-
here (http://www.recom.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1800)

For last year's discussion on scholarship issues, do read at:-
here (http://www.recom.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=256#75613)

For a little glance at who gets scholarship after seeking ReCom's help (It is not a complete list, as some of them may post it at other threads), do check out at:-
here (http://www.recom.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2440)

Do prepare early. Utilize the resources available in ReCom.org ~! Please help to spread the words around to your friends, as ReCom is only as good as the network, and we do believe in the power of sharing and learning together.

Patrick
17-01-2006, 09:44 PM
patrick wrote

How nice.

I don't think so.
Only for MARA officers' children

ian
24-01-2006, 09:21 AM
was just wondering is there any scholarships that are still available between may till june this year? matric ends by the 21st of april, and i suppose results will only be out by mid may or end of may... i was made known that there are matric students who got scholarships to ireland and UK, also the US, but i didn't see the JPA offering scholarship that time of the year...

and my lecturer told me about the MACEE thingy, it appears that all the scholarships will only be offered to those who has already got admitance into their unis. when i still have another semester to go, i can't apply for a uni yet. but all the scholarships have their dateline set latest by april... how???

i missed the JPA in form 5... :lol:

jeanure
24-01-2006, 10:23 PM

hye everyone.im a new member here.same as u atmostfear, i got the offer to UTP as well under MARA scholarship.i used to have the same problem as u do.then my mum called the MARA person in charge for UTP enrolment.the lady explained that if u accept this offer which i believe is spc (skim pelajar cemerlang) using your trial result, your name will be automatically blacklisted for any MARA scholarship (after SPm result) for local and also overseas programmes. so,decide wisely. its either you stuck at UTP for 4years or get another MARA scholarship. and, i also heard from a resource that if u enter UTP, you are considered as PETRONAS student, which means you have a slim chance to get PETRONAS scholarship (after SPM) for overseas as you are already their student, why would they want to give you another scholarship, unless u have a sound reason for the change.

chenchow
25-01-2006, 08:59 AM
was just wondering is there any scholarships that are still available between may till june this year? matric ends by the 21st of april, and i suppose results will only be out by mid may or end of may... i was made known that there are matric students who got scholarships to ireland and UK, also the US, but i didn't see the JPA offering scholarship that time of the year...

and my lecturer told me about the MACEE thingy, it appears that all the scholarships will only be offered to those who has already got admitance into their unis. when i still have another semester to go, i can't apply for a uni yet. but all the scholarships have their dateline set latest by april... how???

i missed the JPA in form 5... :lol:

For JPA overseas scholarships, most if not all of them would be for SPM leavers. In terms of scholarships for matrics students, it would be mainly for JPA local scholarships.

For US universities, you could apply with just SPM results, so there is no need for your matriculation results.

ian
25-01-2006, 10:12 PM
for uni in the US, i see that there's column for sth like SAT or sth... but i didn't took that all... besides, i intended to pursue med, US only offer med as a second degree rite?

lXl
25-01-2006, 10:26 PM
ian wrote

for uni in the US, i see that there's column for sth like SAT or sth... but i didn't took that all... besides, i intended to pursue med, US only offer med as a second degree rite?

yup...........

chenchow
26-01-2006, 09:01 AM

You would need to take SAT and TOEFL. Perhaps, a good time to target would be for you to take SAT and TOEFL this year, and apply by Dec 2006 (check particular deadline for each uni, and go over to the states in August 2007.

chenchow
30-01-2006, 01:19 AM
Since I am free now, I would try my best to summarize the whole details of JPA scholarship marking scheme here. this information is as accurate as per those who are interviewed last year. So, this means that JPA could still change the way it grades this year. If anyone knows of more updated information, please kindly post it here.

Academic - 60%
Sports - 5%
Co-cu clubs/societies - 5%
Other activities - 5%
interview + essay - 15%
parents' income + whether parents are gov servant - 10%

For academic, only the 9 core subjects are considered, i.e. BM, English, History, Islam/Moral, Mathematics, and 4 electives (eg. Add Math, Physics, Bio, Chemistry for science stream).

For sports, it would be 5%, and you would need to fill in 5 different types of sports. For each sport, you would need to fill up which level you are representing. (Whether you win any medal or not, does not matter for this point system of JPA scholarship).
Representing the country 1.0%, state 0.8%, district 0.6%, school 0.4%, club/sports house 0.2%.
(For example, you win a gold medal at MSSM for athletic, and play soccer for your sports house. you would get 0.8% for your athletic and 0.2% for your soccer. So, a total of 1.0% out of 5.0% )

For co-cu, this is based on your position in clubs/societies and uniformed bodies. You would need to fill in 5 clubs/societies/uniformed bodies too. Each one is 1.0%. Head prefect would get you 1.0%, and the percentage would drop down from that position to the normal member. I don't know the exact position, but i guess it is something like head prefect, head librarian, president of club, secretary, vice president, treasurer, committee member, member. I forget where prefect is placed. I think it is around president/secretary. and for those uniformed bodies, the positions like sergeant, corporal etc have their placing too. You would see a dropdown menu in the form, and you would be able to estimate your points.

For other activiites, this include all competitions/exhibitions etc that you participate. And you would need 5 different of those activiites. And the points are in the same way as above. International Level - 1.0%, national level 0.8%, state level 0.6%, district level 0.4%, school level 0.2% .

For parents' income, RM5000 and below earns you 10 points, RM5001-Rm10000 earns you 5 points and above RM10K earns you 0 point. And if I am not wrong (this one not confirmed), children of gov servant would get 5 points.

And lastly, 15% on interview and essay. This is subjective, but for interview, ReCom can definitely help you to prepare for it, as many ReComers have gone through it. For interview, you would need to present your viewpoints with good argument, evidence, example etc. And you would need to guide the whole discussion of a group of around 6 people. the discussion would be for 1 hour. The interviewer would just observe, so it is up to you all to perform. And it is very essential to listen to what others' share. often, students just try to outdo each other in sharing, and that is the common pitfall. JPA is looking for future leaders, and not a bunch of selfish people. And you would need to guide those who are quiet or find it tough to share, to help them in the discussion. It is a whole evaluation of your performance.

Good Luck~!

PeiWen
02-02-2006, 11:08 AM
Chenchow, does JPA provide any scholarship for Master's degree? I would like to take Master's in TESL and I wish to serve in government sector upon the completion of my studies. YOu have any idea?

chenchow
02-02-2006, 11:49 AM
Chenchow, does JPA provide any scholarship for Master's degree? I would like to take Master's in TESL and I wish to serve in government sector upon the completion of my studies. YOu have any idea?

Yes, JPA does provide scholarships for Master's scholarship. You would need to get a minimum of 3.75 if you plan to pursue master's overseas and minimum of 3.5 CGPA if you plan to pursue a master's in Malaysia. You would need to get admission of the university to apply, and you have to be a former JPA scholar for undergrad, or you are a government servant (for at least 3 years), to be eligible for that scholarship.

PeiWen
02-02-2006, 01:30 PM
Mmmm..I see...however, it's a pity that I didn't obtain that good results (2nd upper class only)yet I'm hoping to go overseas. But I do have the passion for English anguage....Hmmm....~headache~ :cry:

lyzzy
02-02-2006, 02:40 PM
Pei wen, there are a lot of scholarships for students intending to do masters, like the Chevening scholarships. you should check out the british council website for more information about these scholarships.

chenchow
02-02-2006, 04:59 PM
Please continue discussion here.

Hi everyone,
I'm currently waiting for the SPM result to come out (SPM 2005), and FYI, I'm currently studying in UTP under MARA scholarship for engineering program. sometimes I feel like quitting UTP and get into another college like taylor's and such which offers overseas program. actually, I'm ok with UTP's atmosphere and everything about it, it's just that I prefer going overseas to gain experience and knowledge in another country. I prefer going to countries which use english as the first language as I'm too lazy to learn a new language. I was thinking about taking SAM or A-Level in taylor's, but I heard the fee is quite expensive :o

is it a wise decision if I quit UTP NOW and get into another college?I only started my course 2 weeks ago which is still too early if I quit now, but what do you guys think? should I wait for the SPM result to come out first?

and just in case I quit and got into another college, is it possible to get scholarships from JPA,MARA and others? I just don't want to add more burden to my family..

chenchow
02-02-2006, 05:05 PM
AtMostFear, congratulations for getting MARA Scholarships to study at UTP.

In terms of getting another scholarship from MARA/JPA, you would need to check with MARA first. This is because you have already been awarded a scholarship by MARA, and hence, they may disqualify you from further scholarship applications now (at least until you finish your course). You could check with MARA, whether you could apply for their overseas scholarship when the application form is out by end of Feb/early March (i.e. around the date of SPM results release). Don't quit your scholarship, until you are sure of the situation.

JPA scholarship ties in with MARA Scholarship, as in, you can only apply one out of the two, and not both. For scholarship from colleges, there are some colleges that offer scholarships based on your actual SPM results, but you would need to check with the colleges, for the exact details. They may not offer full scholarships, especially for the portion when you are studying abroad.

Larry
02-02-2006, 05:16 PM
And lastly, 15% on interview and essay. This is subjective, but for interview, ReCom can definitely help you to prepare for it, as many ReComers have gone through it. For interview, you would need to present your viewpoints with good argument, evidence, example etc. And you would need to guide the whole discussion of a group of around 6 people. the discussion would be for 1 hour. The interviewer would just observe, so it is up to you all to perform. And it is very essential to listen to what others' share. often, students just try to outdo each other in sharing, and that is the common pitfall. JPA is looking for future leaders, and not a bunch of selfish people. And you would need to guide those who are quiet or find it tough to share, to help them in the discussion. It is a whole evaluation of your performance.

Good Luck~!

Erm... I would want to noe what kind of the interview topics and the essay topics usually r all about? Are there r certain patterns on those topics? Is there anyway that i can tackle the questions? And can anybody advices me some guidelines for me in order to secure the schorships?

PeiWen
04-02-2006, 11:43 AM
Well, lyzzy, I've tried Chevening, I guess the competition is even more intense. I was rejected, anyway. FYI, I'm not an outstanding student, so I guess I have to know where I stand.
BTW Chenchow, how do I come about the JPA scholarships for Master's degree? I would like to have a try. No harm trying right! :wink:

chenchow
04-02-2006, 12:10 PM
Erm... I would want to noe what kind of the interview topics and the essay topics usually r all about? Are there r certain patterns on those topics? Is there anyway that i can tackle the questions? And can anybody advices me some guidelines for me in order to secure the schorships?

For the past interview topics and other questions, do look at the links I posted at this post. Click here (http://www.recom.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=75619#75619)

On essay topics, below are two of the questions asked last year. Hope that fellow ReComers could post other questions asked last year.

a) If you get 12A1s in SPM, and you want to be a teacher, and your parents want you to be a doctor, what should you do?

b) If it is your ambition to be a doctor, and JPA sends you to a country not of your choice, would you give up your ambition to be a doctor, or you would treat it as a route for you to fulfill your dream to be a doctor.

chenchow
04-02-2006, 12:16 PM
BTW Chenchow, how do I come about the JPA scholarships for Master's degree? I would like to have a try. No harm trying right! :wink:

Peiwen, the form is at this link :- JPA Scholarship for Master's studies. (http://www.jpa.gov.my/tajaan/siswamaster.htm)

myc04
06-02-2006, 12:31 AM
1. Is it easier to go to a less popular country as opposed to the states/UK? Or are they the same.

2. You said that only the 9 core subjects are counted. Does that mean that 9A1s = 17A1s?

strikingstar
06-02-2006, 05:41 PM
Okay, I've been accepted to attend uni in US this fall and after painstakingly ploughing through much of the education forum but still feeling none the wiser, I have these few questions to ask.

1.) Is it true that JPA gives scholarships to A-level students to study in US, albeit only after concluding the SPM round? If so, how would an A-level student go about apply for the scholarship?

2.) Can A-level students apply to PTPTN for loans to study in America. More importantly, can they apply for convertible loans to study there. I'm under the impression that PTPTN no longer offers convertible loans.

3.) I've read in the forum that Gamuda, YTL Foundation and Security Commissions offer scholarships to A-level students to study abroad. Is that true? I've checked Sec Com and found that it only mentions offering scholarships to SPM leavers. YTL Foundation does not mention giving scholarships to study abroad.

4.) Besides the three I've listed above, are there any other bodies or organisations that offer scholarships to A-level students to study in the US?

Thanks very much to anyone who can clear all my doubts/answer all my questions. Muchos gracias.

bush
06-02-2006, 06:19 PM
1) Chenchow may have a better reply for this.

2) PTPTN loans are only valid for studies within the country.

3) You would need to contact them regarding their procedures.

chenchow
07-02-2006, 08:59 AM
Please continue discussion here:-

can we have a list of all the 2006 known scholarships under this topic ( with the application process adn eligiblity ) ? apart from the well-known JPA/Mara, telekom, Pnb, Sc scholarship etc, did you all know any others scholarships tht is offered in malaysia for fresh spm leaver?

My question: did anyone knows any scholarship tht is offered for aerospace engineering?

P/S: I m a newbie here and it is really hard for me to browse thru the forum. I sincerely hope for your reply. Thank u.

Larry
08-02-2006, 09:54 PM
JPA scholarships application form has came out, it is available in Bank Simpanan Nasional. Can i know where else can i get it besides BSN?

lXl
09-02-2006, 12:17 AM
Larry wrote :

JPA scholarships application form has came out, it is available in Bank Simpanan Nasional. Can i know where else can i get it besides BSN?

is that true ???gosh, i;m that slow

crapzzz
09-02-2006, 12:30 AM
Hey guys,
y cant i found any information regarding the starting of application for the JPA scholarship? even in jpa homepage....... i can oni found some scholarship tht isnt for spm leaver......... in quandary

lXl
09-02-2006, 12:31 AM
phew..... according to their website, its only for japanese studies......

Patrick
09-02-2006, 10:04 AM
Don't worry. There will be an online application form for you. :wink:

Larry
09-02-2006, 09:49 PM
I would like to apologize regarding the wrong information that i have provided...... JPA scholarships form is not available yet. I am so sorry that all the unconveniences i have caused.....

S-Ann
09-02-2006, 10:03 PM
Haha...you are not the only who have thought that the JPA form is out.My friend did tell me the same thing too two days back and i almost went to BSN to buy the form.It was only yesterday i found out that the form is not out yet.It is actually the UPU form which is on sale now.It is okay anyway...everyone does mistakes...no one is perfect. :)

Tasslehoff
10-02-2006, 11:24 PM
Whats UPU?

bush
11-02-2006, 12:59 AM
Unit Pusat Universiti.......many abbreviations, learn you must.

Tasslehoff
11-02-2006, 02:04 AM
Many thanks. whats it do? :P

bush
11-02-2006, 02:29 AM
Some sort of a university placement system for IPTAs......something like UCAS, though UCAS does not make any admission decisions

follown
12-02-2006, 05:25 PM
Hi guys, questions again (plan to contact the education department/school tomorrow if I'm still lost :s)

1) Do I apply to US unis before applying for JPA scholarships? or the other way round?

2) I read about typical JPA deadline being 7-10 days after SPM results; refer to q.1

3) Apart from SAT and TOEFL, do I have to sit for any other standardized exam(s)?

4) I'm a bit late according to chenchow. Asked the community about stuffs like delayed application etc (I didn't sit for the SAT while I was in the fifth form). I plan to sit for the exams this year (2006), around June for SAT and TOEFL (yet to check the deadline) before applying for US unis around Oct/Nov/Dec 2006, and yes I'm aware that most exceptional US unis have the January deadline. Will my overall plan coincide and flow smoothly or would it be disastrous?

Thanks for the heads up!

Patrick
12-02-2006, 08:06 PM
I think I can answer Question 1.

You'll have to go through a preparatory programme before you can go overseas. For the US, it'll normally take about a year, with BTN (Biro Tatanegara), Tapisan Keselamatan, and stuff like that.

So, you might as well apply later.

Tasslehoff
12-02-2006, 09:55 PM
3) those are the basic requirements, TOEFL and SAT I (TOEFL can be waived if you scored over the minimum requirement in the SAT critical reason section.. depending on each university). If you want to get exemption for some credit hours, you can take up the AP tests.. then again, some universities have thier own tests.. make sure you check beforehand)

4) yes most of the universities application deadlines have passed. though there are still some with february-april deadline.. but whats your overall plan?! bear in mind that there would be no disadvantage taking your SATs or TOEFL beforehand.

kevinkent
14-02-2006, 05:14 PM
Hi, my first post here. I am form five student like others still waiting for SPM result. What I want to mention here is about the JPA essay. The candidates or the successful applicants that are called up for the interview, will be needed to write an essay ( I think is in English ) before the interview conducted. That's mean you will have to write an essay based on a topic given on that interview day. The essay is mainly to test the thinking skills, and analysis of the students, and not really on English proficiency. But I think that if you have a good command of English, that may be a bonus! :wink: Maybe some of you all have already knew that, but somehow I confused whether is the essay should be written during the application time or during the interview time. Now I know that already, so just wanna share with you all about this info. About the essay topic, I think that particular one is in another thread……

chenchow
14-02-2006, 07:27 PM
Hi guys, questions again (plan to contact the education department/school tomorrow if I'm still lost :s)

1) Do I apply to US unis before applying for JPA scholarships? or the other way round?

2) I read about typical JPA deadline being 7-10 days after SPM results; refer to q.1

3) Apart from SAT and TOEFL, do I have to sit for any other standardized exam(s)?

4) I'm a bit late according to chenchow. Asked the community about stuffs like delayed application etc (I didn't sit for the SAT while I was in the fifth form). I plan to sit for the exams this year (2006), around June for SAT and TOEFL (yet to check the deadline) before applying for US unis around Oct/Nov/Dec 2006, and yes I'm aware that most exceptional US unis have the January deadline. Will my overall plan coincide and flow smoothly or would it be disastrous?

Thanks for the heads up!

a) You apply for JPA Scholarship first, before applying for universities.

b) Yeah, the deadline is around 7-10 days after SPM results.

c) Those three would be the standardized exam (SAT1, SAT2, TOEFL)

d) First, I am not sure where do I imply that you are late. I think right now, the timeline would be to apply for JPA Scholarships after SPM results (assume that you are SPM 2005). Interview would be in April, and if you get the scholarship, you should get in around May and June 2006. You can take SAT and TOEFL around Oct-Dec 2006, and apply before the application deadline in Dec 2006. And you would know the outcome in April 2007 and enter the universities in August 2007.

S-Ann
14-02-2006, 11:01 PM
I am currently waiting for my SPM result too.I would like to ask some questions here especially to all those who have went for the JPA interview before...perhaps only last year's batch of interviewees can answer my question cause if i am not mistaken, only last year's batch were asked to write essays.May i know what kind of essay must we write during the interview?Whether is it factual or other kind of essay?How much time are we given to complete the essay?As for last year's interviewees, if you all don't mind, likely what topic were given to you all?Sorry for asking too much questions...i am just curious to know...hope you all wouldn't mind to answer my questions.Thanks a lot... :)

PeiWen
16-02-2006, 09:40 PM
Chenchow, there's something I don't understand in the JPA website, i.e. "2.1.4 Pelajar yang akan mengikuti pengajian di luar negara perlu memilih universiti yang bertaraf 4, 5 dan 5*."

Anyway, this is to the moderator, do you think we should have FAWs for JPA, Petronas etc scholarships separated? I mean categorized them into each section, so it will be more organized...just a suggestion...^_^

Patrick
16-02-2006, 10:30 PM
I am currently waiting for my SPM result too.I would like to ask some questions here especially to all those who have went for the JPA interview before...perhaps only last year's batch of interviewees can answer my question cause if i am not mistaken, only last year's batch were asked to write essays.May i know what kind of essay must we write during the interview?Whether is it factual or other kind of essay?How much time are we given to complete the essay?As for last year's interviewees, if you all don't mind, likely what topic were given to you all?Sorry for asking too much questions...i am just curious to know...hope you all wouldn't mind to answer my questions.Thanks a lot... :)

I'd say that the essays are realistic ones.

Cause some just live with the delusion that life's all about books

siawase_tenshi
17-02-2006, 11:41 AM
Hi everyone! I'm new here. Currently i'm waiting for my SPM results, which should be out soon enough. Found this site informative, very useful to spm-leavers like me. Am definitely gonna recommend it to friends. Just one question here, does the JPA offer any scholarships for those who want to major in law? I was just wondering...because more emphasis seem to be put on courses like engineering, medicine etc, but no mention on law. Thank you in advance!! :D

caramel_nut
17-02-2006, 11:56 AM
Hi everyone! I'm new here. Currently i'm waiting for my SPM results, which should be out soon enough. Found this site informative, very useful to spm-leavers like me. Am definitely gonna recommend it to friends. Just one question here, does the JPA offer any scholarships for those who want to major in law? I was just wondering...because more emphasis seem to be put on courses like engineering, medicine etc, but no mention on law. Thank you in advance!! :D
As far as I know, last year JPA didn't sponsor students who want to read law.

S-Ann
17-02-2006, 12:50 PM

I'd say that the essays are realistic ones.

Cause some just live with the delusion that life's all about books

Thanks for the info Patrick...

windhoe2
17-02-2006, 03:41 PM

many of my friends who are taking jpa scholarship,are studying law in UK right now.

caramel_nut
17-02-2006, 07:46 PM

many of my friends who are taking jpa scholarship,are studying law in UK right now.
Oops, I confuse year 2005 and 2006. Ok, now to clear the confusion, I think for my batch, SPM 2004, JPA didn't offer law scholarships. If windhoe's friends are currently studying in UK, I presume they finished their A Level in June 2005 ( the whole programme takes 18 months), surely they couldn't be the batch who took their SPM in 2004. I think they were SPM 2003 leavers.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

zingkov
17-02-2006, 10:30 PM
Chenchow, there's something I don't understand in the JPA website, i.e. "2.1.4 Pelajar yang akan mengikuti pengajian di luar negara perlu memilih universiti yang bertaraf 4, 5 dan 5*."

i applied it last year, dont think the rules will change. the 4/5/5* standard is not important, as long as the university which u have already got the admission letter is inside their JPA list of recognition, then it would be okay. but if i am not mistaken, they are very strict in terms of the GPA requirement.

shihnobie
19-02-2006, 12:56 AM
hello friends.

i am currently waiting for my SPM 2005 result. however, i am now doing AusMat in Intec under Petronas sponsorship.

i am taking geology/geoscience course here. but the problem is i do not really into physics, which is a compulsory subject. i love biology so much. therefore i am plannin to apply for JPA schship if my result is okay, InsyaAllah.

so my question is, is there any course that does not require me to learn physics? pharmacy and medicine perhaps. other than that?

can i switch to JPA later? do i need to pay to Petronas? thank you

bush
19-02-2006, 01:00 AM
hello friends.

i am currently waiting for my SPM 2005 result. however, i am now doing AusMat in Intec under Petronas sponsorship.

i am taking geology/geoscience course here. but the problem is i do not really into physics, which is a compulsory subject. i love biology so much. therefore i am plannin to apply for JPA schship if my result is okay, InsyaAllah.

so my question is, is there any course that does not require me to learn physics? pharmacy and medicine perhaps. other than that?

can i switch to JPA later? do i need to pay to Petronas? thank you

Why did you take up geoscience at the first place? There's bound to be some physics if you want to do something like that.

In fact, you would still need to learn physics even if you intend to do medicine and pharmacy.

With all due respect, some people might think that you are kinda selfish.

shihnobie
19-02-2006, 01:29 AM
Thanks Bush for your comment.

I do not hate physics. In fact I am still in shock learning that physics is a compulsory subject in geoscience course. I thought it is going to be biology or geography because as far as I know, SSABSA does offer geography subject.

I am not being grateful. I just want to know the probabilities.

bush
19-02-2006, 02:29 AM
well, when it comes to the workings of the earth, you can't really escape from physics, can you?

Geography is useful but its importance does not displace physics.

shihnobie
19-02-2006, 02:56 AM
Yes. Thanks for your views, Bush. I appreciate them.

siawase_tenshi
19-02-2006, 01:50 PM
Thanks caramel_nut, for the info. I guess law isn't that popular in terms of scholarship after all. Haiz... :cry: Anyway, besides jpa, are there any other institutions etc that offer scholarships to study law? I've asked some of my seniors, and most of them say i've to study stpm first, then proceed to study law course at UM or other colleges. But as a science stream student, i'm afraid it will be hard for me to change to arts stream once i'm in Form 6. Should i take their advice or should i just go ahead and take a law course? Will I be at a disadvantage if i skip Form 6?

vseehua
19-02-2006, 04:23 PM
you might appeal fora change to form 6 art streamif you want. yes,i've also heard that it's hard, but no harm trying right?

or you can take science stream in form 6 and then take law later...makes no sense here but that's what u cn do if you cn't change stream...

or switch to A-levels and then do law out of the country..

chenchow
20-02-2006, 12:15 AM
you might appeal fora change to form 6 art streamif you want. yes,i've also heard that it's hard, but no harm trying right?

or you can take science stream in form 6 and then take law later...makes no sense here but that's what u cn do if you cn't change stream...

or switch to A-levels and then do law out of the country..

Agree with vseehua that it could be hard to change to form 6 art stream, but I have seen some people did that before, and they could excel well in it.

On continuing doing science stream in Form 6, I am not sure whether you could apply for Law at IPTAs. Someone who know, please kindly share the information.

siawase_tenshi
20-02-2006, 12:20 PM
Vseehua and chenchow, both of you are right. No harm trying. I will give Form 6 a go and 'look and see' . *pray extra hard to get into arts stream* :P If you guys and gals out there have other opinions, do post them, i would appreciate that very much.

f0reva
20-02-2006, 12:28 PM
Vseehua and chenchow, both of you are right. No harm trying. I will give Form 6 a go and 'look and see' . *pray extra hard to get into arts stream* :P If you guys and gals out there have other opinions, do post them, i would appreciate that very much.

it realy doesn't harm much... some of my seniors went into form6 arts streamx n excel in it thou they're from science streax during f5.. wish you all the best! u can catch up n surely do well... i'm oso thinkin of switchin to form 6 arts..but..i'm interested in medic..hehe...findiing loans n scholarships now..guess nly jpa provide scholarship for medic... da rest need to use FAMA..but my FAMA cant realy afford..hehe.. :lol:

all the best to all of you guys!!!

faceythingy
21-02-2006, 01:48 PM
Hi (=

Still new here. I'm waiting for my SPM results to come out soon. Just wanna know what companies are offering scholarships this year. It'll be a whole lot easier to know where to apply before SPM comes out (provided that my results are ok *fingers crossed* =P)

Thanks a bunch guys. Keep up the great work!

vseehua
21-02-2006, 01:57 PM
the ones on the regular list will be petronas, shell & telekom malaysia...

and then the organizations will be ASEAN scholarships:)

anyone wanna add to the list??

and facethingy, welcome to recom:)

ll_angel86
21-02-2006, 03:15 PM
Hi!

I was in the science stream in Form 5 but I changed to the Arts stream in Form 6.
Basically,if u get good results for SPM the gov will put u in the science stream.So,when u first register for form 6 ,U will be in the science stream.

After that,I applied through my school to change stream.It'd help if your teachers n school r supportive. Anyway,my application was not accepted the first time coz they said that my results for the science subjects are too good.(if u get like Ds and Cs ,u might be successful the 1st time)

So,I applied for the 2nd time.This time I got it .
That was in 2004.Form 6 started on May 17 and I think I changed to the arts stream only at the end of July (so wasted bout 2 months).

anyway, I could catch up with others becoz I had dedicated teachers (esp.my Econs teacher) who gave me extra classes after school to help me catch up.

Hope this helps. :D [/quote]

vince
22-02-2006, 02:02 AM
hi ,everyone..im new here,just registered few minutes ago. :)

im a form 5 graduate..waiting for my spm results which will be announced in mid march(i guess).i was chosen for national service..it would be fun but im worried that it would take my time to prepare for further studies.
NS starts on 19 of march..and its around a week after they announce the results.im afraid if i dont have enough time to search or apply for scholarships..and it finishes on 10 june.is it too late that time when i came back?will i miss d scholarships available?i wonder by that time,all the scholarships available would have grabbed by others.. :cry:
basically,im interested in physics and calculation subjects..im not into bio so i would leave medicine aside first.i need you guys' suggestion..shall i go for A levels,stpm or any foundation programme?any kind of advice would do cause so far im lost and very blurr with what am i gonna do in future..
is there any scholarships for A levels?however,if i enter A level then its hard to continue my studies after that because taking degree course in college is costly..(as i know..)
im not from a very wealthy family..therefore,its very hard for my family to support me to overseas university..im here to ask what shall i do in d time between the announce of results and before i go for NS?as far as i concern,it would take me lots of time to prepare for my national service..so what can i do now since its still time for me??
plus,where can i get d forms to apply for any kind of scholarships?and how to apply for petronas,shell and other companies' scholarships??
this forum helps me a lot and i would like to thank all of you who have posted and help me and all those who are lost.

chenchow
22-02-2006, 09:08 AM
hi ,everyone..im new here,just registered few minutes ago. :)

im a form 5 graduate..waiting for my spm results which will be announced in mid march(i guess).i was chosen for national service..it would be fun but im worried that it would take my time to prepare for further studies.
NS starts on 19 of march..and its around a week after they announce the results.im afraid if i dont have enough time to search or apply for scholarships..and it finishes on 10 june.is it too late that time when i came back?will i miss d scholarships available?i wonder by that time,all the scholarships available would have grabbed by others.. :cry:
basically,im interested in physics and calculation subjects..im not into bio so i would leave medicine aside first.i need you guys' suggestion..shall i go for A levels,stpm or any foundation programme?any kind of advice would do cause so far im lost and very blurr with what am i gonna do in future..
is there any scholarships for A levels?however,if i enter A level then its hard to continue my studies after that because taking degree course in college is costly..(as i know..)
im not from a very wealthy family..therefore,its very hard for my family to support me to overseas university..im here to ask what shall i do in d time between the announce of results and before i go for NS?as far as i concern,it would take me lots of time to prepare for my national service..so what can i do now since its still time for me??
plus,where can i get d forms to apply for any kind of scholarships?and how to apply for petronas,shell and other companies' scholarships??
this forum helps me a lot and i would like to thank all of you who have posted and help me and all those who are lost.

Welcome Vince to join ReCom.org~! You should definitely get everything ready for your scholarship applications, and hence you can make it for NS. Prepare your CV now, as well as getting all your certs certified. That would put you in good stead, when the results are out. You would need to do all preparation and apply before you go to NS. The application deadline for almost all scholarships would be 7-10 days after SPM results anyway, so you do not lose much. And you would get to attend the interview at your NS site. That would help you a lot.

Most of the scholarship forms are available online on their sites. It should be there about 1-2 weeks before SPM results are out. So, you can start filling up then, except for your actual SPM results.

Do prepare as early as possible, and I really hope everyone to start preparation early. The line in getting certs certified after SPM results would be very very long.

Good Luck~! And do make full use of ReCom.org ~!

Yenny
22-02-2006, 02:05 PM
Hello guys & girls out there... I would like to ask for some assistance..
I would like to know more bout the law degree , either provided locally by private uni or foreign uni..
1) which reputable local unis provide law degree?( already has A level qualification...so can only enter private ones..i supposed) , which unis do offer double degree.. ? the qualification needed?
2) cost? local & overseas..
3) is there any oportunities of getting scholarships for law?
Thanks a lot in advance ya...!

vince
22-02-2006, 08:19 PM
thanks chen chow..

hmmm..do you mean getting the certs certified is get the official signature from headmaster and school's chop??sorry for not knowing anything at all..
it really does surprise me that you said the interviewers will go to NS camp base..is that true?im getting excited now..hehe
anyway..can i have info on whats d qualification for many company's scholarship application?is it only straight A1 students??
thanks!

vseehua
22-02-2006, 08:52 PM
thanks chen chow..

hmmm..do you mean getting the certs certified is get the official signature from headmaster and school's chop??sorry for not knowing anything at all..
it really does surprise me that you said the interviewers will go to NS camp base..is that true?im getting excited now..hehe
anyway..can i have info on whats d qualification for many company's scholarship application?is it only straight A1 students??
thanks!

yes..just get it signed and stamped by someone from your school..i got it stamped by the office and got it signed by my form teacher..and that do just fine...

yes, the interviewers will go the NS camps, or if you are somewhere near INTEC, shah alam, they might send you there for the interview instead...hope that helps...

not all scholarships require straight A students la...i don have much info though...maybe someone else might be in a better position than me to provide such info..but do have a look at the companies' websites..they usually will list down their requirements there :)

Leen
22-02-2006, 09:14 PM
I am also chosen for the NS but reluctantly of course. :cry: The problem is that they put me in a camp outside my district and I am very worried about it not because I have never sleep outside my house or whatever but what about scholarships applications? I am surprised that the interviewers will come to NS camp. Do this apply for the whole country or just certain states? Also, what if we dont want to be interviewed in the camp. Let's say, if I am living in Perak and I want to be interviewed in Johor and so I will have to travel far to Johor, will I be able to go to my respective desired place to be interviewed or will my choice be terminated and instead I'll be forced to take the interview in Perak? I need to know this first because NS is coming soon and if it will jeopradise my future, I will ignore it and just apply for a postpone. I cant risk my future for some stupid boot camp which has nothing to do with me since I have already gone through worse shit than NS. No offense to those supporting NS but for me, it's just crap. I just dont want it to destroy my future and I need to book the air ticket if I am to go to other states or places for interviews. If I am imprisoned in NS camp, then not only my money will be wasted, but also my future.

So, are we still allowed to go out of the camp for a few days for interviews?

Smilehoe
22-02-2006, 10:15 PM
Whats UPU?

Unit Pusat Universiti.......many abbreviations, learn you must.

Just to inform that UPU is now known as BPKP.

Mulai 10 Oktober 1995 hingga 31 Disember 2004 UPU dinaiktaraf dan dikenali sebagai Bahagian Pengurusan Kemasukan Pelajar IPT (BPKP IPT), Jabatan Pendidikan Tinggi http://apps.emoe.gov.my/ipt_spm/panduan/bpkp/01_bpkp.htm

f0reva
22-02-2006, 10:28 PM
yeah..i agree with you.. i really ..dun like NS..i was chosen for it also..haiz..no idea how bout those interviews..all those..haiz..its my future.. a person only have one future...

Leen
22-02-2006, 11:11 PM
yeah..i agree with you.. i really ..dun like NS..i was chosen for it also..haiz..no idea how bout those interviews..all those..haiz..its my future.. a person only have one future...

I can really say that I've been through worse shit than this boot camp. I had been through camping worse than NS and drills for hours seeing my friends collapsed one by one. I know the "kenegaraan" thing well since I am in the quiz team for 3 consecutive years. I sure know my thing well. Even for that community service, it's not like I've not done that. I had been to convensyens for services, sports day, orphanage and have quite a lot hours of community service under my belt. Besides, I dont have any discplinary problems, I am very independent, I dont need the "so-called 10 full marks in KK" thing. Even with my current KK activities, I have already scored more than 50 points already. That is already more than the maximun 10 points so what the hell am I going to NS to gain another pointless 10 points? It's not like I am going to lumba haram or drugs anyway. I just want the holiday to work and earn money. Oh, so you want to earn money? NS offers RM300. Die with that RM300. I can earn RM1500 in three months time. :x Unless if you pay me another RM1200 as compensation, then perhaps I'll reconsider. For the time being, no thanks NS. I am not interested. If I dont get my future sort out before 19 March, you wont be seeing me in NS for a long long long time. By then, maybe the program have been terminated. :twisted:

vince
23-02-2006, 12:05 PM
some bad news here for spm graduates..

shell company only offer scholarship for stpm leavers..

hehe..seems like its a good news for stpm graduates!

vseehua
23-02-2006, 02:18 PM
lol..that's really good news for stpm leavers...after so many years of focusing the main scholarships for spm students only... :)

kevinkent
23-02-2006, 08:56 PM
Do anyone here intended to apply for Star Education Fund?

Just wanna clarify this...
1. Is the Star Education Fund only available for undergraduate courses?

2. Which means that the successful applicants will be sponsored only for their foundation and until the end of their undergraduate courses is it? :roll:

f0reva
23-02-2006, 09:44 PM

I can really say that I've been through worse shit than this boot camp. I had been through camping worse than NS and drills for hours seeing my friends collapsed one by one. I know the "kenegaraan" thing well since I am in the quiz team for 3 consecutive years. I sure know my thing well. Even for that community service, it's not like I've not done that. I had been to convensyens for services, sports day, orphanage and have quite a lot hours of community service under my belt. Besides, I dont have any discplinary problems, I am very independent, I dont need the "so-called 10 full marks in KK" thing. Even with my current KK activities, I have already scored more than 50 points already. That is already more than the maximun 10 points so what the hell am I going to NS to gain another pointless 10 points? It's not like I am going to lumba haram or drugs anyway. I just want the holiday to work and earn money. Oh, so you want to earn money? NS offers RM300. Die with that RM300. I can earn RM1500 in three months time. :x Unless if you pay me another RM1200 as compensation, then perhaps I'll reconsider. For the time being, no thanks NS. I am not interested. If I dont get my future sort out before 19 March, you wont be seeing me in NS for a long long long time. By then, maybe the program have been terminated. :twisted:

hmm..i totally agree with you.. hehe..but what to do.. we don't want any police knocking at our home doors looking for us..n "INVITE" us back to the ns camp in their car..with the siren [of course] i've no idea also..kinda lost.. keep finding information like hell nowdays..rm 300 is jz useless..i heard from my frens v need to buy so many things..n its definately more den rm 300... dunoo when the prog is going to be terminated..=P

vseehua
24-02-2006, 01:37 AM
me think that the program will not be terminated anytime soon...

vince
24-02-2006, 02:03 PM
well..i think there's no point complaining bout NS..it might has its advantage and disadvantage.since it is already set,why dont we just accept it?
whatever is yours,it will be yours.so..just try our best and may god bless us. :o

caramel_nut
24-02-2006, 02:21 PM
well..i think there's no point complaining bout NS..it might has its advantage and disadvantage.since it is already set,why dont we just accept it?
whatever is yours,it will be yours.so..just try our best and may god bless us. :o
Agree, agree. NS is not exactly that terrifying, though it can be boring at times. I survived mine last year...

siawase_tenshi
24-02-2006, 03:07 PM
Some of you may know this already, but no harm posting this up i guess. SPM results will be out on March 13, 9 am. So get ready guys...to face reality + plenty of inquiries from friends and relatives too. ^,^

f0reva
24-02-2006, 04:49 PM
Some of you may know this already, but no harm posting this up i guess. SPM results will be out on March 13, 9 am. So get ready guys...to face reality + plenty of inquiries from friends and relatives too. ^,^

omg!!! i'm so so scare... T.T... the results... arrghh..hate those relatives.keep competing...

poohbear88
24-02-2006, 05:38 PM
i have some question regarding The Star Education Fund also.

This is what they need in the form:
On a separate sheet of paper, please provide
a) Details of extra-curricular activities, including membership of societies / associations.
-is this the CV form? can someone teach me how to do or show me a sample?

b) State briefly your reason(s) for applying.
- how should i write this? write in esaay? or point form? how long should i write?

thanks.

bush
24-02-2006, 05:51 PM

a) Details of extra-curricular activities, including membership of societies / associations.

- how should i write this? write in esaay? or point form? how long should i write?

thanks.

You can search through the internet for samples of CV.

It would better to write a short concise essay, two paragraphs would be adequate i suppose.

Leen
24-02-2006, 11:14 PM
There is nothing wrong with NS. In fact, I like those activities. It's just that I dont want to go. It's so wrong when I come to think of it. I think it should be for those who need it. I can prove that I am indeed good enough for NS and thus I dont need it but of course I'm not going to mention it here. My point is, why not give it to someone who really needs it? Why not give to someone who is very soft, not independent, timid and so on. That way, we can really optimized this whole program to train youngsters to be brave, independent and tough. Besides, the way they conduct the selection for first batch is terrrible. I asked more than 100 persons in one camp who got chosen for first batch and guess what, all of them are born from January to June. That's so not fair to us who are born later. If you want to be fair, why not pick randomly instead of according to DOB?

Forget about NS for a while. I need to know about CV too. Do we list down ALL our achievements from primary one till form five or do we list down only those important things happening from form one to form five. When I tried to write a biodata describing my achievement, I found out that I end up using three pages. I only allocated one parragraph for primary schools and try to write as simple as I can and as padat as I can but end up using 3 pages. I dont think that it is a good idea since people might think that you are overexaggerating with your achievement. Should I narrow them down again?

vseehua
25-02-2006, 05:56 AM
last time i only put in the achievement during my secondary school years...mostly form 4 and 5..i think that will do...

Larry
25-02-2006, 10:06 PM

thanks.

It would better to write a short concise essay, two paragraphs would be adequate i suppose.

May I know where can I get access to those CV in the websites?I tried to search it but end up nothing......

Thanks in advance for the head ups!

YJ
25-02-2006, 10:18 PM
JPA scholarship for SPM leavers is under which JPA unit?

vseehua
25-02-2006, 10:26 PM
JPA scholarship for SPM leavers is under which JPA unit?

bahagian latihan...

crapzzz
26-02-2006, 12:16 AM
Well, my dad asked me to do my CV in point form....... No need essay....

YJ
26-02-2006, 12:38 AM
Hello, I am a SPM leaver. I have a few questions here.
1) What is JPA interview letter?
2) Need to write any letter when apply for JPA scholarship?
3) Is address below is the right address to be sent for JPA scholarship application? Or need to add something like up unit dasar pandang ke tinur,up Unit Latihan Sebelum Perkhidmatan Luar Negeri; use ketua pengarah or ketua penolong pengarah or pengarah is enough?
Jabatan Perkhidmatan Awam
Bahagian Latihan
Aras 4, 5 & 6, Blok C1, Parcel C,
Pusat Pentadbiran Kerajaan Persekutuan,
62510 PUTRA JAYA
4) I live in a small town. Not an easy task for me to get major newspaper like NST nor The Star. So can anyone please kindly post info on ?XX scholarship application is open now? in this thread as most scholarship application will be opened soon.
5) Are NST and The Star scholarship application advertisements will be available online in their official website also?
Sorry for my poor English. ^-^

YJ
26-02-2006, 12:57 PM
Is it Renong=UEM group ?

Smilehoe
26-02-2006, 01:18 PM
The particular question had already been answered in recom before.

renong was taken over by uem.so, try to search under uem, since they do offer scholarships.

Here's the link http://www.recom.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=256&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=renong+uem&start=4185

YJ
26-02-2006, 05:49 PM
1) What is TOEFL?
2) For 2006 JPA scholarship application, is it an online application? Or only can be applied using snail mail?

Lils88
26-02-2006, 08:12 PM
Ne1 knows y i cant seem 2 b able 2 c the Esila website???

Joep
26-02-2006, 08:24 PM
Hi guys, do you have any idea on SC ? Do I have to send in my trial results or my actual SPM Results ?

juventus
26-02-2006, 08:55 PM
Hi guys, do you have any idea on SC ? Do I have to send in my trial results or my actual SPM Results ?

http://www.recom.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3431&highlight=interview

there's something in there by khor_albert regarding SC interviews.

wishing u all the best!

juventus
26-02-2006, 08:59 PM
1) What is TOEFL?
2) For 2006 JPA scholarship application, is it an online application? Or only can be applied using snail mail?

1. Test of English as a Foreign Language

2. You have to purchase the form from a designated place, and send through snail mail. That's because you have to attach your birth certs, ic..blah blah..

I may be wrong though..

juventus
26-02-2006, 09:06 PM
Hello, I am a SPM leaver. I have a few questions here.
1) What is JPA interview letter?
2) Need to write any letter when apply for JPA scholarship?
3) Is address below is the right address to be sent for JPA scholarship application? Or need to add something like up unit dasar pandang ke tinur,up Unit Latihan Sebelum Perkhidmatan Luar Negeri; use ketua pengarah or ketua penolong pengarah or pengarah is enough?
Jabatan Perkhidmatan Awam
Bahagian Latihan
Aras 4, 5 & 6, Blok C1, Parcel C,
Pusat Pentadbiran Kerajaan Persekutuan,
62510 PUTRA JAYA
4) I live in a small town. Not an easy task for me to get major newspaper like NST nor The Star. So can anyone please kindly post info on ?XX scholarship application is open now? in this thread as most scholarship application will be opened soon.
5) Are NST and The Star scholarship application advertisements will be available online in their official website also?
Sorry for my poor English. ^-^

1. The interview letter is what you would get should be selected. You have to fill in the form (which u have to purchase somewhere) b4 that.

2. I don't think there's a need to write a letter unless u didn't get the scholarship after the interview and u want to appeal. Then, there's a need for you to write a cover letter.

3. I think the address should be about right.

4 and 5. You can always visit the website, www.jpa.gov.my. Info about the scholarship would be out when there are advertisments in the papers.

Good luck!

juventus
26-02-2006, 09:12 PM

thanks.

May I know where can I get access to those CV in the websites?I tried to search it but end up nothing......

Thanks in advance for the head ups!

Check out these websites;
http://jobsearch.about.com/od/curriculumvitae/
http://www.cvtips.com/

A simple CV would do. For ASEAN, I sent my CV in a table style.
It's easier to read that way. But anyway would do, just keep in simple, concise and reader friendly.

YJ
26-02-2006, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the reply.
Has JPA scholarship advertised in those major newspapers?

juventus
26-02-2006, 09:39 PM
no actually..
according to NST, it should be out on March 5, 6, 12, 13 in local national daillies

in the NST report, they even gave a number for you to call,
03-88853397 to query about the scholarships.

naoj
27-02-2006, 07:23 AM
Good luck to all JPA scholarship applicants! It's a good scholarship and i hope u guys get it .. :)

OperaGhost
27-02-2006, 09:38 PM
News on JPA Scholarship in Sin Chew:
http://www.sinchew.com.my/content.phtml?sec=1&artid=200602260473&sdate=

The translation would be something like this: (I translated it in a hurry so some parts might sound weird)

Those interested in JPA Scholarship can go to www.jpa.gov.my or the Public Service Department office in Putrajaya to make inquiries.

According to PSD, out of the 10098 students who applied for JPA Scholarship last year, 441 applicants are straight A scorers.

Selection criteria: Those who got 9A1s and active in co-curricular activities stand a higher chance in securing the scholarship than those who got 15 A1s but not active in co-curricular activities.

Courses: Applicant should consider other courses such as Economics, Architecture, Accountancy, Science and Technology etc rather than only choosing Medicine and Engineering.

Countries: Those who wish to read Medicine should not focus only on England, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand. Other countries such as Indonesia and India should also be considered. Medicine courses offered by universities in these countries are of high standard and recognized. English is the teaching medium in these universities.

PSD will advertise the advertisement in local dailies on March 5, 6, 12, and 13. For further enquiries, please call 03-88853397 or go to the PSD office (8am to 12noon, the last Friday of every month)

vseehua
28-02-2006, 12:05 AM
so opera ghost...u hv finally come out of hiding eh...lol...haha...sory..off topic..:P

Leen
28-02-2006, 01:32 AM
Does the JPA set any standard like minimun 10A1s or something like that to be able to apply for the scholarship? Also, do you seriously and honestly believe in their words saying if you dont have co-curiculum activities, your chances will not be that high? :wink:

I have a friend who has nothing, not even one club, sport or any other competitions or quizes. He's not even the top students in my school. Somehow he managed to get 11A1s and got an offer to study medicine in Ireland. :wink:

I had another friend who got 11A1s and was a zon leader in the prefectorial board, natioanl champion for quiz, Anti Dadah President, History Club President, our school number 1 students for 3 consecutive years from form 3 to form 5. She's even in the national service. And what did she get from JPA? Nothing. She got nothing. :x

vseehua
28-02-2006, 01:40 AM
i don't deny there is an element of luck in applying for jpa scholarships...but no harm trying.. :)

chenchow
28-02-2006, 08:32 AM
Does the JPA set any standard like minimun 10A1s or something like that to be able to apply for the scholarship? Also, do you seriously and honestly believe in their words saying if you dont have co-curiculum activities, your chances will not be that high? :wink:

I have a friend who has nothing, not even one club, sport or any other competitions or quizes. He's not even the top students in my school. Somehow he managed to get 11A1s and got an offer to study medicine in Ireland. :wink:

I had another friend who got 11A1s and was a zon leader in the prefectorial board, natioanl champion for quiz, Anti Dadah President, History Club President, our school number 1 students for 3 consecutive years from form 3 to form 5. She's even in the national service. And what did she get from JPA? Nothing. She got nothing. :x

First of all, you have to check which batch they were in, as those in SPM 2000 to 2003, JPA offers automatic scholarships for those who get straight A1s. and hence, most of those that get JPA scholarships during those years are straight A1 students.

For SPM 2004 batch, JPA only looks at 9 core subjects. Do search around my earlier post on detailed point system adopted by JPA. If anyone knows of official point system by JPA, please feel free to post it here.

JPA scholarship form would be available on 5th March and if I am not wrong, JPA will set up booth for scholarship Q&A at Putrajaya JPA office on 5th March.

Leen
28-02-2006, 01:21 PM

First of all, you have to check which batch they were in, as those in SPM 2000 to 2003, JPA offers automatic scholarships for those who get straight A1s. and hence, most of those that get JPA scholarships during those years are straight A1 students.

For SPM 2004 batch, JPA only looks at 9 core subjects. Do search around my earlier post on detailed point system adopted by JPA. If anyone knows of official point system by JPA, please feel free to post it here.

JPA scholarship form would be available on 5th March and if I am not wrong, JPA will set up booth for scholarship Q&A at Putrajaya JPA office on 5th March.

The first friend that I mentioned is from 2004 batch and the later one is from 2003 batch. Both of them score 11 straight A1s.

Anyway, I dont think we can deny that luck plays a huge part too in securing this scholarship. "Tuah manusia", who knows? Since 2004, we have 10 core subjects. Does it mean that this year, they will only look at that 10 subjects and ignore the extras that we take on our own? I am really confident about my kk. The only two things that still bothering me now is NS and SPM result. *shrug* Hopefully, straight A1s will be mine.

Good luck to all others waiting for SPM results too. 8)

YJ
28-02-2006, 01:34 PM
Hello, may i have more information on eriksola scholarships?

vince
28-02-2006, 02:54 PM
hi to you all.

i just checked out d phone number from jpa.its 03-88853049,d biasiswa department.
once a girl picked up and i start asking a lots of ques.she seemed like getting irritated with me.these are the info that i got.

1.scholarships for spm leavers to study in malaysia IPTA will come out in june,on newspaper.but you have to get into the U at first before you can apply..

2.for those who wants to apply for overseas studies,its coming out in april.(and damn it cause i have NS)

i told her i have NS and she just say not to worry,when i wanna ask further details on overseas scholarships application,she said it will be posted on newspaper.when i ask more bout d procedure and d interviews,she say she will pass d phone to her colleague,who are in that department.guess what?SHE HUNG UP.and i called back,nobody answers..

feel like scolding bad words...

anyway,hope those are the real info cause before that i thought the application form will be out in around d time when the result is released...
moderator,can you identify are my infos are real?
thanks a million

vseehua
28-02-2006, 03:00 PM
the forms for jpa application for overseas studies are usually released arnd the same time as the time your spm results comes out, give them a grace period of one week...during this time, remember to read the newspapers often so that you don't miss anything :)

as for the forms itself, you will have to buy them..last time my friends bought the form for me from BSN, i'm not sure where to buy for the next time...

hope that helps :)

vince
28-02-2006, 03:35 PM
actually,im pretty frus now.cause the results will be announced soon,thus,all d application forms and scholarships details are yet to be published by them(MARA,ASEAN,JPA,etc...)
so,other than getting d certs vertified,what else can i do?i checked many company's webpages but they didnt mention anything bout it..
i have quit my part time job for d preparation and now i feel like soooo boring~~~ 8O

vseehua
28-02-2006, 03:38 PM
there are nothing much else to do...except for filling in the forms later on when you got them afterwards...

you know our gov la, they are more like last minute one..so do bear with them...

hehe...and if you are too free, do read up on current issues in and out of the country...will help you out during the interview...

cy_dream
28-02-2006, 03:41 PM
Hello, I am a non bumi MRSM student.
Actually now I am making choice that whether to apply MARA or JPA scholarships by using real SPM result. But now, it seems tat it is better for me to apply for JPA. Am I right?

bush
28-02-2006, 03:43 PM
It would be better to see JPA personally if you have any queries. They don't like to speak through the phone.......It happens, even for foreign universities......

victorvandort
28-02-2006, 05:03 PM
hello everyone,

er does the jpa scholarship cover ur pre-u studies ?
then after that u'll continue with ur degree studies under jpa?
for the degree studies, do i have to get to a uni myself,(but funded by jpa)? or will jpa post me to a uni?

i read from the previous posts that if u dont follow jpa's preparatory course, u'll have to look for a uni urself?
how about if i do follow the preparatory course? do i still have to look for a uni myself?

i also heard that if u are accepted for the jpa scholarship, and u reject it, u'll have to pay $3000? is it true?

kinda confused about the terms of jpa scholarship, would appreciate if someone will help me with it
thanks

bush
28-02-2006, 05:09 PM
hello everyone,

er does the jpa scholarship cover ur pre-u studies ?
then after that u'll continue with ur degree studies under jpa?
for the degree studies, do i have to get to a uni myself,(but funded by jpa)? or will jpa post me to a uni?

i read from the previous posts that if u dont follow jpa's preparatory course, u'll have to look for a uni urself?
how about if i do follow the preparatory course? do i still have to look for a uni myself?

kinda confused about the terms of jpa scholarship, would appreciate if someone will help me with it
thanks

I think i can help.

You apply for the scholarship.
You get the scholarship.
JPA places you into one of the colleges to do A-levels or IB or SAM etc.
At the appropriate time, you like the others will sumbit your application to universities of your choice(recognised by JPA)
If you get a place from the university, you will be off to that university once you complete your pre-u.
JPA pays for everything for the entire duration.

victorvandort
28-02-2006, 05:16 PM
i see...thanks for the reply...

i know this is bad but i'm quite undecided about wat i want to pursue for my future education...for the moment i'm interested in business, but i'm afraid that if i do get the jpa scholarship to pursue business, i might regret later when i graduate because business might not really be what i want to do?

so, juz wanna ask, is it a good idea to apply for the jpa scholarship, especially since i'm undecided? i can't change the course after i submit the application, can i?

Larry
28-02-2006, 09:11 PM
Hello, I am a non bumi MRSM student.
Actually now I am making choice that whether to apply MARA or JPA scholarships by using real SPM result. But now, it seems tat it is better for me to apply for JPA. Am I right?

Can non bumi MRSM apply for the MARA s'ships? How about the people who is non bumi and not a MRSM student?

vseehua
28-02-2006, 10:07 PM
here (http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/2/28/nation/13475009&sec=nation)

think this link may help clarify on issues with psd scholarships this year :)

twxin
01-03-2006, 12:03 AM
is it possible for a A level student to apply for the jpa scholarship :lol:

bush
01-03-2006, 12:15 AM
is it possible for a A level student to apply for the jpa scholarship :lol:

I don't think so. A JPA loan would be possible.

However, according to some people, you may get a scholarship if there are 'leftovers' ie priority will be given to last year's SPM holders, once everything is settled, you may get your shot.

Even if it is so, I think the chances will be very slim. Unless you have something solid to show them. eg straight As for your A-levels, got an offer from a top university(top meaning universities like oxbridge, imperial, LSE, Caltech, Chicago and the likes) etc.

strikingstar
01-03-2006, 12:42 AM
However, according to some people, you may get a scholarship if there are 'leftovers' ie priority will be given to last year's SPM holders, once everything is settled, you may get your shot.

Even if it is so, I think the chances will be very slim. Unless you have something solid to show them. eg straight As for your A-levels, got an offer from a top university(top meaning universities like oxbridge, imperial, LSE, Caltech, Chicago and the likes) etc.

Straight As for A-levels(Singapore's A-levels). Check. Accepted by top uni. Check. But seriously, how can I apply for the JPA scholarship if no one can confirm that there really are 'leftovers' for the A-level holders or explain whether the application process for them is identical to the process for SPM holders. (Everyone I asked couldn't really confirm anything and when I called the JPA hotline, the lady who answered actually hung up on me.) APPALLING!!!

lyzzy
01-03-2006, 12:48 AM

Straight As for A-levels(Singapore's A-levels). Check. Accepted by top uni. Check. But seriously, how can I apply for the JPA scholarship if no one can confirm that there really are 'leftovers' for the A-level holders or explain whether the application process for them is identical to the process for SPM holders. (Everyone I asked couldn't really confirm anything and when I called the JPA hotline, the lady who answered actually hung up on me.) APPALLING!!!

from personal (and friends') experience, straight a's and imperial, cambridge, lse, edinburgh for medicine, stanford didn't get the JPA loan.. hopefully that has changed now.