PDA

View Full Version : pure science(sains tulen)?what the hell is it?

minyun
05-03-2006, 03:04 PM
jpa is offering a course called sains tulen.
any idea what is it about :?:
how's the career prospect :?:
most importantly,what's the profession it leads to :?:

bush
05-03-2006, 03:09 PM
jpa is offering a course called sains tulen.
any idea what is it about :?:
how's the career prospect :?:
most importantly,what's the profession it leads to :?:

sains tulen bermaksud.....sains tulen lah.....semua tulen tulen punya.....

physics, chemistry, biology and their related courses.....

meselsohnstahl
05-03-2006, 04:07 PM
u can be a teacher/lecturer/researcher

but i guess it depends on the contract jpa gives.. most likely u'll be a teacher cause moe also offers scholarships to do math, chem, physics, bio and u'll have to teach in schools for several years

bush
05-03-2006, 04:29 PM

but i guess it depends on the contract jpa gives.. most likely u'll be a teacher cause moe also offers scholarships to do math, chem, physics, bio and u'll have to teach in schools for several years

which is sort of a waste......imagine one MOE scholar who goes into Cambridge to do the sciences and ends up teaching SPM physics or chemistry.

dizzy_b
05-03-2006, 05:08 PM
does that translate to actuarial science?

LOL..you might as well apply for Pendidikan after Form 6...

Hoong
07-03-2006, 04:42 PM

which is sort of a waste......imagine one MOE scholar who goes into Cambridge to do the sciences and ends up teaching SPM physics or chemistry.

Most of the time, people who get into those universities will get to see things differently. They will gain exposure to new opportunities that might change what they want... they might either go to graduate schools to pursue their interests in the same or different areas.

It's not a bad idea if they really want to teach in high school. Good for the high school students. This will bring new perspectives in science for the students. In overseas, it's not uncommon to have students graduated from prestigious univerisities teaching in high school for a couple of years before they continue their studies. In some better high schools, a very large fraction of the teachers hold a PHD degree.

bush
07-03-2006, 05:04 PM

Most of the time, people who get into those universities will get to see things differently. They will gain exposure to new opportunities that might change what they want... they might either go to graduate schools to pursue their interests in the same or different areas.

It's not a bad idea if they really want to teach in high school. Good for the high school students. This will bring new perspectives in science for the students. In overseas, it's not uncommon to have students graduated from prestigious univerisities teaching in high school for a couple of years before they continue their studies. In some better high schools, a very large fraction of the teachers hold a PHD degree.

If you are an MOE scholar, you must serve your term at most likely a secondary school or if you have luck, a matriculation college. So even if you develop a keen interest in research, you won't be able to pursue it until you are done with your service.

Singapore sponsors scholars to these school so that they will come back as researchers, but we sponsor scholars and under-utilise them when they come back. It is a waste of human resource.

It is ok to serve 2-3 years in a high school, but if it is a permanent job, then it is really a waste. Considering that our universities don'thave many decent academicians..........

day_dreamer
07-03-2006, 05:05 PM
Yeah !!!
My maths teacher posseses a PHD in Mathemathics.
We usually call her professor intead of teacher. :lol:

meselsohnstahl
07-03-2006, 05:42 PM
whats so wrong with them ending up teaching spm?? after all its only for 7 years.. if doctors who pursue a degree in cambridge (which is for six years) can be bonded for TEN years, why not teachers(who only spends 3 to four years in uni)?? after all, these teachers might inspire their students to go to unis like cambridge and take part in reasearch?!! :lol:

bush
07-03-2006, 06:30 PM
whats so wrong with them ending up teaching spm?? after all its only for 7 years.. if doctors who pursue a degree in cambridge (which is for six years) can be bonded for TEN years, why not teachers(who only spends 3 to four years in uni)?? after all, these teachers might inspire their students to go to unis like cambridge and take part in reasearch?!! :lol:

7 years is a lot if one is thinking of research. If i am not mistaken, universities will find it hard to sdmit you into a research degree if you have not been involved in your studies or you have not worked in a related field for period of time.

2-3 years would be alright but 7 years and above is too long. You might have forgotten many things which are essential for postgrad.

My physics teacher was a classic example, he got his Bachelors from Imperial but he couldn't proceed to do his masters without having to go through some of his work in his first degree, as such he abandoned the idea altogether.

meselsohnstahl
07-03-2006, 07:06 PM
guess so... but there are exceptions...

my physics teacher in sunway will be pursuing either a masters or phd in the uk this coming fall.. im not sure in what but he has received some offers and he is seriously considering it.. he is 52..

there is truth in what u're saying cause even if the person is motivated, its real hard to find a scholarship to do postgrad if u've left the field for quite a while.. :lol: my teacher was real lucky to find a filthy rich guy willing to sponsor him....

bush
07-03-2006, 07:49 PM
furthermore.....it is really really a waste of resources for a tab or an oxonian to come back and permanently teach in a secondary school.......RM600k for something like that is really stupid. They should be place in universities or research institutes. They can be visiting 'professors' to schools though.

minyun
18-03-2006, 12:19 AM
day_dreamer:I'm from SP too.Which school are you in?Is she serving under jpa bond or what?Or did she choose to teach in secondary school?

I read something from http://internshipasia.com/content/view/21/38/ that a degree in physics can be applied in the business world as well.Any comment on this?

kimsiang
18-03-2006, 12:58 AM
I read something from http://internshipasia.com/content/view/21/38/ that a degree in physics can be applied in the business world as well.Any comment on this?

Yes.There is a department in my university called economic physics department.(in chinese jing1 ji4 wu4 li3 xue2)
I dont know much of it but i have heard that they are trying to model the changes in stock market by using non-equilibrium physics.
This field involve many statistical physicts and economists.

Oh ya,i am studying pure science in Science Faculty of Kyoto University. Have a look on the homepage if you dont know where it is.http://www.kyoto-u.ac.jp/
________
HOST AND DESIGN (http://hostndesign.com)

bush
18-03-2006, 02:07 AM
yes, those who do not stay in physics tend to get involve in the consultancy or financial analyst. Physicists have skills business degree holders lack, skills like mathematical analysis and critical thinking, they like engineers are able to handle a lot of data and numbers, which is invaluable in finance and the coporate world.

ohmygod
19-03-2006, 09:10 AM
Oh ya,i am studying pure science in Science Faculty of Kyoto University. Have a look on the homepage if you dont know where it is.http://www.kyoto-u.ac.jp/

Just wonder what's the syllabus for pure science??? Do you need to study the theory for all biology, physics and chemistry. And you choose one particular branch of natural science, then you just study on the chosen branch???

bush
19-03-2006, 09:58 AM
I think for universities like kyoto, one must study everything. Right kimsang? since you said pure science and not the individual disciplines.

kimsiang
19-03-2006, 02:19 PM
I think for universities like kyoto, one must study everything. Right kimsang? since you said pure science and not the individual disciplines.

Yup,you are right.Kyoto University is actually quite a special university.It was established by those who wanted the freedom in education.In science faculty,I can choose whatever subjects that i want to learn.I can share with you the subjects which i took last year when i was freshman.

2005April-Aug
Calculus1,Earth Science Experiment,Physical Chemistry 2 In English,
Chinese classics,Newtonian Mechanics,Physics Experiment,Japanese for science1,physical chemistry 1,system in societies and economics,japanese writting in science1,sports(ping pong),linear algebra 1,translation english-japanese1,english listening skills1,earth science 1,Western History,Linear algebra tutorial 1,seminar for science in english,Invitation to Modern Mathematics and Mathematical Sciences.

2005Oct-2006Feb
Calculus2,Advanced Mechanics,Algebra(Group,Ring,Field Theory),Nuclear Magnetic Resonance,Electromagnetism1,Sociology of Modern Technology,Japanese for science2,physical chemistry2,History of China and its neighbours,translation english-japanese2,Regional Geography,japanese writting in science2,linear algebra2,reading in politics,speaking in japanese,reading in japanese,programming in physics1,english listening skills2,British History,Classical Field Theory and Theory of Relativity,Recent Topics on Mathematical Analysis.

Another thing is that we dont have compulsory subject to be taken.The requirement for graduation is to collect 132 credits in 4 years.But still,i think i will focus on theoretical Physics start from 3rd year.
________
Ebony Cam (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/ebony-girls/)

ohmygod
19-03-2006, 02:31 PM
Walao!!!it seems you have taken more than 10 + subject for each sem???

So you have to buy many textbooks each sem??? How do you prepare for the final exam???(Is the exam covering all the courses you take???)

kimsiang
19-03-2006, 02:46 PM
Walao!!!it seems you have taken more than 10 + subject for each sem???

So you have to buy many textbooks each sem??? How do you prepare for the final exam???(Is the exam covering all the courses you take???)

Yup,shd be around 20 for each semester. :D .Oh ya,all subjetcs are in japanese language unless stated.

Yes,i have to.Those japanese textbooks are very expensive.At least RM 100 for a 200 pages small book.... :cry: ....
The examination system here is quite different.We dont have study week and hence lectures and examinations run together.So,there is no time for preparing the examinations.Just take the exam by real ability.
Moreover,I am one of the committees in science faculty and also committee in Kyoto International student house.There are many meetings and activities such as international food festival that i have to take part in.So,doing revision is like something impossible for me.Since there is no CGPA system(your result may just pass or fail),students are aiming to get more credit instead of getting more As... :D ..(record:100 credits taken in 1 year- japanese student)

p/s:Science faculty in Kyoto University doesnt accept foreign student without japanese government scholarship. Hence,there are 311 japanese + 1 malaysian(me) for batch 2005.
________
Glass pipe (http://glasspipes.net/)

okaywhy
19-03-2006, 05:45 PM
*Digress*

kimsiang, how those japanese conduct online research as they are not proficient in english?

kimsiang
19-03-2006, 05:55 PM
*Digress*

kimsiang, how those japanese conduct online research as they are not proficient in english?

Oh,they cant speak english fluently but they can write and read academic papers well. For example,any student in my class can translate an english articles into japanese one without much problem.(But i think Japanese government is trying to improve this situation by introducing english language into primary school curiculum.Before that,they didnt really learn english except after entering secondary school)
I think this is just because they dont have the chance to speak in english and they dont have to do so since people around them are mainly japanese.
________
Gay latino (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/629/latino/videos/1)

minyun
10-04-2006, 08:36 PM
OMFG.100 credits in 1 year?That is ridiculous!

I thought I am supposed to choose only 1 out of the many science subjects since the requirement to apply for jpa is A2 for either physics,chemistry or biology and not all of it.

kimsiang
10-04-2006, 08:57 PM
OMFG.100 credits in 1 year?That is ridiculous!

new record this year(result for semester autumn2005):107.... :D
________
Medical marijuana (http://www.youtube.com/dispensaries)