Chatbox  [Archives]

Loading ...
Empty the chat input field
MGC Chatbox Evo v3.3.0 by MGC © 2008-2012
General help
The MGC Chatbox Evo is really easy to use

You can :
  1. Send chats : you just have to enter the text in the dedicated input field and then to validate it by pushing the return key ou by clicking on the OK button.
  2. Format the chats :
  3. once you un-collapse the chatbox formatting toolbar by clicking on the BBCode button, you have access to different formatting options for your chats. You can format a chat by selecting a part (or the totality) of it and then select one of the buttons/list. You can also add empty formatting tags by selecting nothing and clicking one of the buttons/menu thus allowing you to add the chat text afterwards between these tags.*
  4. Access to the different channels : you can have access to different channels restricted to only some usergroupds or for specifics use of the chatbox. The different channels are accessible from the buttons on the left of the chatbox.*
  5. Edit your chats (or others chats) : the edition of a chat can be done by a simple double-click on it.*
  6. Use specific commands : some commands can be accessible in the chatbox depending on the will of the administrator(s) of your forum. These commands let you execute specific actions of formatting, management, etc... You will herebelow the information on the command which are accessible to you. You must notice that you are not forced to use the command prefixes (/command_name) when you use them in the channel they are attached to (except in the general channel).*
* : Depending on the settings chosen by the administrator(s) of the forum, you might not have access to all these features.

User Tag List

edexcel A-level vs. cambridge a-levels.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: edexcel A-level vs. cambridge a-levels.

Wiki Contributor Wiki Contributor
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default edexcel A-level vs. cambridge a-levels.

what are the diff between these two.? and.. what are the pros and cons of both and is it true that edexcel is relatively easier?

ReCom Staff Kapitan o'Wiki Mirianchoo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: edexcel A-level vs. cambridge a-levels.

Quote Originally Posted by acgerlok7 View Post
    what are the diff between these two.? and.. what are the pros and cons of both and is it true that edexcel is relatively easier?
    Edexcel A-Levels is an A-Level course governed by Edexcel International, a UK body under the Pearson company. It is a modular course with typically 6 papers (units) per subject. Some units come in the form of assignments/reports, such as Biology units 3 and 6. Others are paper tests. Most Edexcel A-Level students would sit for 2 papers per subject at the end of every 6-month period (i.e. Units 1 and 2 after 6 months, units 3 and 4 after another 6 months, and units 5 and 6 at the end of the 1.5 years). INTEC students do not have this privilege, and thus have to sit for ALL their papers at the end of their A-Levels, except for Biology units 3 and 6 (reports).

Cambridge A-Levels is an A-Levels course run by the University of Cambridge International Examinations Syndicate (UCLES). These A-Level subjects have their assessment divided into AS (Advanced Subsidiary) and A2 papers. A typical Cambridge A-Levels student would take the AS-Level papers for each subject at the end of the 1st year and the A2 papers of each subject at the end of 1.5 years. Some papers are actually practical papers, in which you have to do experiments and answer related questions.

I would say that from my view, Edexcel A-Levels is easier than Cambridge A-Levels, having experience of studying both (I studied Cambridge A-Levels for 6 months before leaving for INTEC to study Edexcel A-Levels). I would say that Cambridge A-Level students go into greater depth and detail of the topics and that the Cambridge A-Levels syllabus is more well structured. The Edexcel syllabus is not that well organised I would say, and that Edexcel A-Level students might not go into such detail of what they study as compared to their Cambridge A-Level counterparts. The tests are also easier for Edexcel A-Levels than for Cambridge A-Levels, hence it should be easier to score straight A's in Edexcel A-Levels than in Cambridge A-Levels.

Some students might say that Edexcel A-Levels is easier due to the fact that you can take 2 units per subject for every 6 months and retake the units you perform poorly in to boost your grade (provided you are not an INTEC student). This is one advantage of the Edexcel A-Levels compared to Cambridge A-Levels, which normally gives students only one chance to improve their AS grades: by retaking them 6 months later (at the same time as when they take their A2 level subjects).

Cambridge A-Levels is advantageous in that it probably guides and prepares you better for university life. It also has a good, stuctured syllabus and there are plenty of reference books and past year papers out there for you to try as compared to Edexcel reference books which can be hard to find. Also, the Edexcel syllabus has just been revamped and thus there aren't many relevant past year questions for you to try out due to the change in syllabus. There are also more colleges offering Cambridge A-Levels in Malaysia, so there is a wide range of choices for you.

Again, I would like to caution that how easy the A-Levels is would be subjective and that if your study style suits that of Cambridge A-Levels better, you would find Cambridge more suitable and easier for you. However, it is my own personal opinion that Edexcel A-Levels is generally easier to score straight A's in than Cambridge A-Levels, having tried out both.

Hope this helped!
    Last edited by Mirianchoo; 23-12-2010 at 05:52 PM.

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mirianchoo For This Useful Post:

Secondary School Student fokero's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ohhh, so EdExcel is slightly easier isit ? that's why most of my seniors who took their A level ( edexcel ) told me that it's quite easy and dont worry too much about it. And it's the same with one of my friend's brother. but now i'm doing the Cambridge A level, i dont really think it's as easy as they said it will be. I'm just finished with my first semester, gonna take AS next sem and i'm still quite struggling with the schedule and syllabus

Kindergarten
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am wondering that if the Cambridge A Level will more suitable to me?
    I wanna to take the Edexcel A Level,but Mirianchoo said that Cambridge A Level is more well structure and detailed...
    arggghhh,it is so vexed.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ppg View Post
    I wanna to take the Edexcel A Level,but Mirianchoo said that Cambridge A Level is more well structure and detailed...
    arggghhh,it is so vexed.
    Cambridge A level will help you more i think, when you're doing your degree. So, it's better if you choose Cambridge rather than EdExcel.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to fokero For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fokero View Post
    Cambridge A level will help you more i think, when you're doing your degree. So, it's better if you choose Cambridge rather than EdExcel.
    yup yup !

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ppg View Post
    arggghhh,it is so vexed.
    It doesn't matter ppg! Go for whichever is easier! At the end of the day, you will definitely get a GCE qualification. Universities care less whether A level is 'Cambridge' or 'Edexcel'.

Plus, if you go for Edexcel A levels, you have to an extend, a greater control as to how you want to score your A! That is the beauty of the modular system. Note, this comes with a price. The last I know, the fees for Edexcel A level is very much higher than its Cambridge counterpart.

Being a product of Edexcel A levels myself, my views can appear somewhat bias but I think people do not give enough credit for it(Edexcel A level).

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sillyboy View Post
    It doesn't matter ppg! Go for whichever is easier! At the end of the day, you will definitely get a GCE qualification. Universities care less whether A level is 'Cambridge' or 'Edexcel'.

Plus, if you go for Edexcel A levels, you have to an extend, a greater control as to how you want to score your A! That is the beauty of the modular system. Note, this comes with a price. The last I know, the fees for Edexcel A level is very much higher than its Cambridge counterpart.

Being a product of Edexcel A levels myself, my views can appear somewhat bias but I think people do not give enough credit for it(Edexcel A level).
    hey sillyboy, how was your result for A level ? i'm doing cambridge a level. i'm quite worried about my upcoming exam. i've been rather playful for my first semester

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fokero View Post
    hey sillyboy, how was your result for A level ? i'm doing cambridge a level. i'm quite worried about my upcoming exam. i've been rather playful for my first semester
    Oh I did my A level ages ago! Regardless, what are you worried about?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sillyboy View Post
    Oh I did my A level ages ago! Regardless, what are you worried about?
    ohh. idk, i'm quite lost right now. I'm quite slow to catch up all my studies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast