Chatbox  [Archives]

Loading ...
Empty the chat input field
MGC Chatbox Evo v3.3.0 by MGC © 2008-2012
General help
The MGC Chatbox Evo is really easy to use

You can :
  1. Send chats : you just have to enter the text in the dedicated input field and then to validate it by pushing the return key ou by clicking on the OK button.
  2. Format the chats :
  3. once you un-collapse the chatbox formatting toolbar by clicking on the BBCode button, you have access to different formatting options for your chats. You can format a chat by selecting a part (or the totality) of it and then select one of the buttons/list. You can also add empty formatting tags by selecting nothing and clicking one of the buttons/menu thus allowing you to add the chat text afterwards between these tags.*
  4. Access to the different channels : you can have access to different channels restricted to only some usergroupds or for specifics use of the chatbox. The different channels are accessible from the buttons on the left of the chatbox.*
  5. Edit your chats (or others chats) : the edition of a chat can be done by a simple double-click on it.*
  6. Use specific commands : some commands can be accessible in the chatbox depending on the will of the administrator(s) of your forum. These commands let you execute specific actions of formatting, management, etc... You will herebelow the information on the command which are accessible to you. You must notice that you are not forced to use the command prefixes (/command_name) when you use them in the channel they are attached to (except in the general channel).*
* : Depending on the settings chosen by the administrator(s) of the forum, you might not have access to all these features.

User Tag List

Place to study for GCE A-level

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Place to study for GCE A-level

Kindergarten
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Place to study for GCE A-level

Hi,Im from Kuching,am going to sit for my spm soon.am thinking bout doing my A-levels but not sure at where.Should be doing Bachelor in aircraft maintenance engineering in UK so should be taking physics,chemistry,maths,and economics.I've three options actually,Methodist College,TAR college and Lodge International.Reason for Methodist: pretty condusive environment but is the most expensive compared to those two.Currently,Im eligible to apply for 25% scholarship based on my mock.Reason for Tar because it's the cheapest among all,but the scholarship is based on actual spm result,which is not as secure as in Methodist.However,they give attractive scholarships.Crappy accomodation though.Reason for lodge is because I would only have to pay for the tuition fees and general fees because i live in Kuching now so can opt out expenses on accomodation and foods.What do you think guys?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Place to study for GCE A-level

Quote Originally Posted by lionel9 View Post
    Hi,Im from Kuching,am going to sit for my spm soon.am thinking bout doing my A-levels but not sure at where.Should be doing Bachelor in aircraft maintenance engineering in UK so should be taking physics,chemistry,maths,and economics.I've three options actually,Methodist College,TAR college and Lodge International.Reason for Methodist: pretty condusive environment but is the most expensive compared to those two.Currently,Im eligible to apply for 25% scholarship based on my mock.Reason for Tar because it's the cheapest among all,but the scholarship is based on actual spm result,which is not as secure as in Methodist.However,they give attractive scholarships.Crappy accomodation though.Reason for lodge is because I would only have to pay for the tuition fees and general fees because i live in Kuching now so can opt out expenses on accomodation and foods.What do you think guys?
    Hi, glad to find someone interested in taking GCE A-level and who is planning to take the exact same combination I am on now haha !

First question, this will be perhaps the most important I will ask you. Are interested in taking either the Cambridge International A-level Board or London Edexcel Board? If you pick the latter option, sorry I can't really be much use to you in terms of recommendation. If you'd pick Cambridge, I would be of much more help to you. If you have heard neither of these 2 boards, I suggest doing some more of your own research and come back here with good questions that need opinionated answers

Here's a list of places I can recommend you based on boards that I know are good places you can start to consider :

Cambridge : KDU (my college), TAR, INTI, Taylor's, Sunway

Edexcel : MCKL, HELP, UCSI, KBU

If you need serious consultation, just let me know, and I will leave my Facebook URL for you to add me up for more info

Forgot to add another information, but just to spice up the chance you will end up in KDU. They offer 100% waiver of tuition fees provided you have a trial/mid-term results of either 10 or 9A's, regardless of the plus, minus or just A. But it's only valid for the January intake. The application closing date should be around the last week of December.
    Last edited by frostbyte13; 07-11-2011 at 12:09 AM.
    Hebrews 6 : 10
    "God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them."

Psalms 126 : 5
    "Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy."

Interested in finding me? Add me up facebook

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually it depends on you. As I know that the scolarship that Methodist offers is not really much right? You still have to pay alot for the tuition fees and living costs. urm and for the living expenses, it will be much more higher since it is located in city. And Methodist only has London A-level. There is some differences between Cambridge A- level and London A-level. It's better you check the differences between those 2 first before you choose the course

And for TARC, urm yeap its scholarship is really attractive. You have to pay only 900 if you get 9A and above. (The A including A+,A and A- ) But their hostel is always full as the seniors will book first before they are entering the second year. My friends are booking the hostels too but i m not so sure whether they get it not. Since you live in Kuching so it might be quite a big problem for you to find your accomodation in KL. And remember that the living expenses is quite high too, You have to spend about 500++ per month.
    And the Lodge.. I never heard anything about it sorry.
    Actually why don't you consider other schools as well? There are still other schools that provide scholarships as well

Kindergarten
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reply!for my bachelor degree,I would be studying in UK(university of Glamorgan) which they care less about the course or place I took my A-levels,be it Ed-excel or Cambridge,as long as my UCAS point is more than 240 points(which is relatively low),no sweat!However,the thing is,I need a good result for my A-levels to obtain scholarship offered by the university for my degree.So yeah,I seek for quality.
    yeah,the scholarship methodist offered is not so attractive.FYI,my current spm mock result is 8A(combination of A+,A,A-)and 2B.
    I have heard bout KDU but I dun think any of my school mates is going there.Nevertheless,How's the accomodation?How much do i need to spend for the whole course?(tuition fees+general fees+accomodation+food)
    I see.Well,i have two friends in Kuching going to TARC for A-levels as well.If I were to study at there,I would be staying at a missionary house owned by my friend's father,which is reasonably cheap,around 200+ a month(including water,electricity)Haha.well.Lodge is in Kuching so I guess not many people have heard about it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reply!for my bachelor degree,I would be studying in UK(university of Glamorgan) which they care less about the course or place I took my A-levels,be it Ed-excel or Cambridge,as long as my UCAS point is more than 240 points(which is relatively low),no sweat!However,the thing is,I need a good result for my A-levels to obtain scholarship offered by the university for my degree.So yeah,I seek for quality.
    yeah,the scholarship methodist offered is not so attractive.FYI,my current spm mock result is 8A(combination of A+,A,A-)and 2B.
    I have heard bout KDU but I dun think any of my school mates is going there.Nevertheless,How's the accomodation?How much do i need to spend for the whole course?(tuition fees+general fees+accomodation+food)
    I see.Well,i have two friends in Kuching going to TARC for A-levels as well.If I were to study at there,I would be staying at a missionary house owned by my friend's father,which is reasonably cheap,around 200+ a month(including water,electricity)Haha.well.Lodge is in Kuching so I guess not many people have heard about it.
    OK if it doesn't matter which board you are going for then I shall only speak on behalf of the Cambridge board and specifically KDU if that's alright. Accommodation you have 3 choices. Either the student hostels (free transport back and forth, the primary choice for students from abroad, and very basic); Stirling Condominium units (a bit more lavish, also has transport of it's own), basically, this is where the current sponsor student batches are living; finally the nearby student homes (the most flexible option, rent and almost everything else is negotiable) the most convenient accommodation because within walking distance to college and lots of eateries nearby to choose from. I can't tell you the exact figure of the rents seeing that I do not have the updated price list with me. If you really really want, then maybe I might have to ask my Admissions and Bursaries office to scan and email to you.

General fees will vary as the Cambridge external examination fees are not fixed, based on exchange rate. Be expected to pay a crude figure of RM2500++ for your entire program. Tuition fees are what deter students coming to KDU with lesser results. I won't tell you the price here because I don't feel you would want to know it. Food is really also subjective, you could be a very thrifty student and I wouldn't know it. My guess for a NORMAL student, you would spend an average RM25-30 a day on food alone. I have friends in the hostel, Stirling and student homes to ask on how much they really spend, but the figures may confuse you even further. Just expect living costs to be slightly above suburbs here.

You mentioned you would be staying in a missionary house. Are you a Christian per chance ? If you are, it might pay you to hear this. I asked because there are local churches who will be more than happy to help you find cheaper accommodation through the contacts they know. They might even offer you a place to stay where some of their members are staying which will make your adaptation more comfortable. I know because one of my friends found better accommodation through his church, he's from Labuan.

Anything else ?

PS Your mock results will only get you a 70% waiver if you come. How about your mid term results ? Are they any better than 8A's ?
    Last edited by frostbyte13; 07-11-2011 at 10:22 AM.
    "God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them."

Kindergarten
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i see.hmm.nope,my mock result is better.
    let say i have got the 70% waiver,how much more do I need to pay?roughly for A-levels excluding the accomodation,food,msc.
    Will they revoke the scholarship if my actual spm is not as good as my mock result?
    How's the academic performance in this school?better than TARC or equally good?
    and nope,im not a christian.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i see.hmm.nope,my mock result is better.
    let say i have got the 70% waiver,how much more do I need to pay?roughly for A-levels excluding the accomodation,food,msc.
    Will they revoke the scholarship if my actual spm is not as good as my mock result?
    How's the academic performance in this school?better than TARC or equally good?
    and nope,im not a christian.
    A good estimate is you still have to pay at least RM10,000 easily. But not more than RM15,000 probably. This is for TUITION FEES ONLY, excluding general fees, accommodation, living expenses and misc spending.

Nope, that's the good thing about KDU. They will only revoke if you seemingly fail almost every subject you take for A-level only. They don't look at the SPM results, at least for my batch. In fact, if your SPM is better, they can upgrade your scholarship to full waiver.

I can't say for academic performance, but I think should be equal. There is no real way to say one institution is better in A-level or not. I would say KDU is a good enough place to take A-level because they have the small class study environment which I prefer over using large lecture halls. Lecturers here are quite OK, they really have the time to see you personally if you have lots of question and need extra tutoring. It's also easier to get to know them well to get a good testimonial for your application later.

OK then, ignore that piece of advice. Either way, you will eventually find out about better accommodation through the contacts you make here later. There should also be an option to switch provided you didn't make any contract to stay for a stipulated number of months. Try to negotiate whether you can stay in one accommodation for the time being, say one month, and then later decide where your want to stay until you finish your program. This applies to whether you are applying to TARC, KDU or wherever.

Kindergarten
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This gets pretty interesting.I dun have a facebook anyway(deactivated),but i do have msn.Tell me more about KDU.thanks

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This gets pretty interesting.I dun have a facebook anyway(deactivated),but i do have msn.Tell me more about KDU.thanks
    I shut down my MSN sorry. Just ask here then. What else do you want to know ?

Kindergarten
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just noticed you said that the fees would be around 10k after 70% waiver.correct me if Im wrong.hmm.in that case,tuition fee+general fees+acc+food+misc stuff=20k?
    Well,for Tarc,the scholarship based on actual spm result would be 7A-50%,8A-75%,9A-100%(inclusive of A+,A,A-) and the tuition fees at most around 12k,minus scholarship(75%),it would only be around 3-4K.The general fees are not so much as well,put it at max,2k..As for accomodation+food+everything,roughly i put 800 per month in it.Im not a spendthrift so i guess my expenditure would be less than rm20 per day.Can you roughly estimate how much I would need for this whole course?(tuition+general+acc+food+misc)
    Well,since both of this schools are quite reputable,I guess i would go for the one which i would have to pay less.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast