Chatbox  [Archives]

Loading ...
Empty the chat input field
MGC Chatbox Evo v3.3.0 by MGC © 2008-2012
General help
The MGC Chatbox Evo is really easy to use

You can :
  1. Send chats : you just have to enter the text in the dedicated input field and then to validate it by pushing the return key ou by clicking on the OK button.
  2. Format the chats :
  3. once you un-collapse the chatbox formatting toolbar by clicking on the BBCode button, you have access to different formatting options for your chats. You can format a chat by selecting a part (or the totality) of it and then select one of the buttons/list. You can also add empty formatting tags by selecting nothing and clicking one of the buttons/menu thus allowing you to add the chat text afterwards between these tags.*
  4. Access to the different channels : you can have access to different channels restricted to only some usergroupds or for specifics use of the chatbox. The different channels are accessible from the buttons on the left of the chatbox.*
  5. Edit your chats (or others chats) : the edition of a chat can be done by a simple double-click on it.*
  6. Use specific commands : some commands can be accessible in the chatbox depending on the will of the administrator(s) of your forum. These commands let you execute specific actions of formatting, management, etc... You will herebelow the information on the command which are accessible to you. You must notice that you are not forced to use the command prefixes (/command_name) when you use them in the channel they are attached to (except in the general channel).*
* : Depending on the settings chosen by the administrator(s) of the forum, you might not have access to all these features.

User Tag List

Should I take further mathematics in A-level?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I take further mathematics in A-level?

Kindergarten
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Should I take further mathematics in A-level?

Good luck for your exam nicholasng925. Are you taking four subjects for your a-level?

Kindergarten
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholasng925 View Post
    By the way, I'm a Further Maths student and going to sit for FM A2 Final in less than 2 months. Wish me luck! Everyday from now on I will need to complete at least one FM past year paper and that consumes me around 2.5 hours per paper (out of 3).
    All the best Which part is harder in your opinion, the statistics or mechanics?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbubu View Post
    Subjective matter. If you don't mind memorizing formulas and able to relate which formulas fits which, statistics may be more appealing to you. Also, if you have a preference for numerical data questions and are able to be open about the different forms of questions that can be tested (a much larger variety of possible situations than Mechanics) then yeah, statistics will probably be more fun. Mechanics would be much more suited if you the kind of student who has a preference for Physics and have a strong grasp of basic concepts.
    Hebrews 6 : 10
    "God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them."

Psalms 126 : 5
    "Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy."

Interested in finding me? Add me up facebook

4. The Following User Says Thank You to frostbyte13 For This Useful Post:

Kindergarten
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firstly ask yourself this question..
    Do you love mathematics and have a strong foundation in Add Maths in SPM? Are you able to commit yourself fully to it?

If Yes, then I shall recommend you to take it
    But BE WARNED, if you are entering the 1.5yr CAL, the syllabus are quite rushed and normally Taylor's will put FM as the 4th subject.. AND do not think 4 subjects are too little in fact as your senior I am dying here =.= so much to cover so little time.. but nonetheless I really enjoyed doing Further Mathematics, it gave me a huge advantage over those people who did not take it thats if you are studying FM straight after you enrolled

I'd say it is quite time consuming but it will pay off because FM has similarities to 1st year of Mathematics in universities, just like SPM Add Maths is almost the same as AS level Mathematics

IF you are entering the 2.0 yr CAL then it should be ok...

You just need to be very hardworking and have strong perseverance thats all..

Well FM is not necessarily needed for applied statistic, as I have mentioned above, it will give you the necessary advantage ...

FM is made of 3 components: Further Pure, Further Mechanics, Further Statistic
    ALL THIS ARE COMPULSORY

I recommend you to take up Physics along with FM, the Further Mechanics topic are quite useful for Physics or vice versa. Topics such as Simple Harmonic Motion and Circular Motion which have high relevance between these two subjects. You will be able to understand better

As for Further Statistics, you do not have to worry.. it is all about memorizing formulas. There are not too many formulas though, they are easy to remember

As for Further Pure, this is the most fun part of FM ( that is for me not quite sure about you )

P.S. Recent CAL FM papers are getting easier.. I am sure you can get an A or even an A* if you have been paying attention in class and have good foundation on your Maths

Just a humble opinion from a Further Maths student who is taking the paper in less than 3 weeks time .. OH GOD AND I AM STILL RECOMMING!!!!
    And I think frostbyte13 is somehow my classmate :S we are from the same college

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WInSUm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wats wrong for putiing FM as 4th subject??
    Btw,good luck,WInSUm.

Kindergarten
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WInSUm View Post
    Firstly ask yourself this question..
    Do you love mathematics and have a strong foundation in Add Maths in SPM? Are you able to commit yourself fully to it?

If Yes, then I shall recommend you to take it
    But BE WARNED, if you are entering the 1.5yr CAL, the syllabus are quite rushed and normally Taylor's will put FM as the 4th subject.. AND do not think 4 subjects are too little in fact as your senior I am dying here =.= so much to cover so little time.. but nonetheless I really enjoyed doing Further Mathematics, it gave me a huge advantage over those people who did not take it thats if you are studying FM straight after you enrolled

I'd say it is quite time consuming but it will pay off because FM has similarities to 1st year of Mathematics in universities, just like SPM Add Maths is almost the same as AS level Mathematics

IF you are entering the 2.0 yr CAL then it should be ok...

You just need to be very hardworking and have strong perseverance thats all..

Well FM is not necessarily needed for applied statistic, as I have mentioned above, it will give you the necessary advantage ...

FM is made of 3 components: Further Pure, Further Mechanics, Further Statistic
    ALL THIS ARE COMPULSORY

I recommend you to take up Physics along with FM, the Further Mechanics topic are quite useful for Physics or vice versa. Topics such as Simple Harmonic Motion and Circular Motion which have high relevance between these two subjects. You will be able to understand better

As for Further Statistics, you do not have to worry.. it is all about memorizing formulas. There are not too many formulas though, they are easy to remember

As for Further Pure, this is the most fun part of FM ( that is for me not quite sure about you )

P.S. Recent CAL FM papers are getting easier.. I am sure you can get an A or even an A* if you have been paying attention in class and have good foundation on your Maths

Just a humble opinion from a Further Maths student who is taking the paper in less than 3 weeks time .. OH GOD AND I AM STILL RECOMMING!!!!
    And I think frostbyte13 is somehow my classmate :S we are from the same college
    Thank you so much! All the best for your exam

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah WInSUm and I are classmates. Only he takes FM; I don't
    Hebrews 6 : 10
    "God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them."

Psalms 126 : 5
    "Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy."

Interested in finding me? Add me up facebook

Kindergarten
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@jzchai : It is nothing wrong to put FM as your 4th subject. It is just that you must be able to have good time management and be super hard-working thats all. Thank you for the wish
    @jasonbubu : To me I find further mechanics tougher than the rest.. because there are many considerations of energy, forces, speed and friction involved.. but yeah it is manageable through lots of practice. Thank you for the wish

ReCom Staff Wiki Contributor Nicholasng925's Avatar
    London, United Kingdom / Seri Kembangan, Selangor
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post
    Good luck for your exam nicholasng925. Are you taking four subjects for your a-level?
    Yes I'm taking 4 subjects in A-Levels! Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbubu View Post
    Both are quite okay for me although I think I tend to score better mark for Statistics than Mechanics.

Statistics questions are not really difficult if you are able to memorise a few important formulae and able to apply it to the particular question at the right time. Some people might get confused over which formulae to use for some particular questions but it can be easily overcame by practicing more exercises.

As for Mechanics, you need to be able to think logically all the time, keep your logical mind open throughout the exam. Everything is logic, just remember that. Use what you've learnt in class especially ways to approach the question (most of the Mechanics questions have different ways to approach according to topics, and most of the ways are based on what you've learnt in Physics). So it's better if you take Physics together with Further Maths, it complements each other.

If you want to pursue a degree which is very quantitative based, take up Further Maths as it will expose you earlier to slightly harder maths. This will give you an edging advantage over other students who didn't take Further Maths, but after a year everything will be back to square one. So it basically boils down to effort that you're willing to contribute throughout the whole degree course.

I don't regret taking Further Maths despite this consumes longer time to grasp the concepts and ways to solve the problems. Practice the exercises is another very time-consuming task, and it takes up 3 hours (if you are fast enough, aim for 2 hours) to solve one paper. Other subjects only need around maximum 2.5 hours (that's for Economics Paper 4, data response and essays writing). Be prepared to spend very long time to master this subject, and be dedicated!

If you like Maths, go for it! Add Maths in SPM is not really a good indicator of whether you can do Further Maths as I think Further Maths is at least 5 times harder than Add Maths but this doesn't mean it's impossible to learn. It's fun anyway! Good luck!
    =[(*The Three Rules of Work*)]=

1. Out of clutter, find simplicity.
    2. From discord, find harmony.
    3. In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity.
    =[{Albert Einstein}]=

Feel free to visit my blog here!!!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nicholasng925 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OctaneGirl View Post
    If I intend to study Law at Cambridge , should I take FM ?
    Cambridge admission tutors like FM very much especially some fields which are strongly related to maths. In fact, it's kinda "compulsory" for those fields as they will start filtering out those who do not take FM from the very beginning even though it's not stated in the requirement.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast