Chatbox  [Archives]

Loading ...
Empty the chat input field
MGC Chatbox Evo v3.3.0 by MGC © 2008-2012
General help
The MGC Chatbox Evo is really easy to use

You can :
  1. Send chats : you just have to enter the text in the dedicated input field and then to validate it by pushing the return key ou by clicking on the OK button.
  2. Format the chats :
  3. once you un-collapse the chatbox formatting toolbar by clicking on the BBCode button, you have access to different formatting options for your chats. You can format a chat by selecting a part (or the totality) of it and then select one of the buttons/list. You can also add empty formatting tags by selecting nothing and clicking one of the buttons/menu thus allowing you to add the chat text afterwards between these tags.*
  4. Access to the different channels : you can have access to different channels restricted to only some usergroupds or for specifics use of the chatbox. The different channels are accessible from the buttons on the left of the chatbox.*
  5. Edit your chats (or others chats) : the edition of a chat can be done by a simple double-click on it.*
  6. Use specific commands : some commands can be accessible in the chatbox depending on the will of the administrator(s) of your forum. These commands let you execute specific actions of formatting, management, etc... You will herebelow the information on the command which are accessible to you. You must notice that you are not forced to use the command prefixes (/command_name) when you use them in the channel they are attached to (except in the general channel).*
* : Depending on the settings chosen by the administrator(s) of the forum, you might not have access to all these features.

User Tag List

How to become a University Lecturer?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to become a University Lecturer?

Kindergarten
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How to become a University Lecturer?

I'm an upper six student this year. Next year, I would apply for Pure Mathematics course.

I wonder if I'm picking the right path to be a lecturer in university?
    Can anyone please enlighten me?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lecturer in what field? Usually lecturers have a degree or masters in a field that they lecture in, but i have no idea of a specific pathway to become a lecturer. Most lecturers in universities are actually doing research and only lecture as an obligation to the university.
    A journey of a thousand steps begin with the first step.. But then.. there's 999 steps more to go..
    Blog: http://waysiong.blogspot.com
    Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/alexkoh

Kindergarten
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You want to become a lecturer?
    That's interesting!!

Normally If you want to do research, and you don't have financial backup.
    Therefore, you can do your research in Universities, lecturing will be like your part time.

This is what I have been told.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

normally, to become a lecturer you must have at least a master's degree. and you're expected to proceed to PhD in your lecturing career.

you can still enter the uni's academic staff list by only having a bachelor degree, but you'd be relegated only as a tutor, rather than lecturing to a whole bunch of undergrads.

Kindergarten
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you all for your replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeroth
    lecturer in what field?
    Maybe a lecturer in Mathematics. However it depends on the demand of what kind of lecturer, then I'll make decision to take what course in master degree for that field.

Quote Originally Posted by joshuatj
    You want to become a lecturer?
    That's interesting!!
    Yup, my friends also think that it's interesting. All of my friends plan to work soon after they get their bachelor degree but I'm not, so it seems that I've become one of the 'rare species'.

Most lecturers in universities are actually doing research and only lecture as an obligation to the university.
    Quote Originally Posted by joshuatj
    Normally If you want to do research, and you don't have financial backup.
    Therefore, you can do your research in Universities, lecturing will be like your part time.
    Nevermind since I love to do research too.

Quote Originally Posted by kintaro_kun
    normally, to become a lecturer you must have at least a master's degree. and you're expected to proceed to PhD in your lecturing career.
    I plan to further my study until master degree and even PhD if I can.

Secondary School Student
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lecturer in what field? Usually lecturers have a degree or masters in a field that they lecture in, but i have no idea of a specific pathway to become a lecturer. Most lecturers in universities are actually doing research and only lecture as an obligation to the university.
    research is an important part of ur life if u become a lecturer. in some (malaysian)unis, preference will be given to those who do research on top of their teaching load when it comes to promotion.

and yes, u'll need at least a masters in whatever field u're doing. although its ok to not have a phd, u'll be considered like a 'second class citizen' amongst the teaching staff.. however, there are ppl who've taught in universities for years and yet only have a masters degree...

another thing.. i think u're supposed to graduate with at least a second upper, if u want to do ur masters degree directly after that.. if u get second lower, u'll need to work for several years before u can enter the programme(the length of time depends on individual univ)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you said mathematics field, what kinds of research are available at the moment? Are people willing to fund or support such research?
    A journey of a thousand steps begin with the first step.. But then.. there's 999 steps more to go..
    Blog: http://waysiong.blogspot.com
    Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/alexkoh

Secondary School Student
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It depends if you are in a public university research is of high importance not that teaching isn't vital but it is part of the job.

In the private college sector teaching is more important and less time and money is spent on research if any of course.

When I was teaching at private colleges they normally ask you to teach more than 30 hours a week more like 35 to 36 hours. As far as I know public unis ask you to teach around 7 to 8 hours a week depending on the size of the class you are given of course. All this could be subjective.

Generally, private colleges or universities are more in it to make more money than examining their field in terms of research. If you like research try to teach at a good public university and if you like to teach, a private college should do you fine.

Finally, the bachelor and masters must be in the same subject. A PhD would be an icing on the cake but not necessary.

Kindergarten
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you said mathematics field, what kinds of research are available at the moment? Are people willing to fund or support such research?
    I got no idea for I haven't reached that stage/level yet, do you have anything to share?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Tay
    Finally, the bachelor and masters must be in the same subject.
    I didn't quite understand about the meaning of 'same subject', do you mind to clarify further? By the way, can Pure Mathematics and Statistics be considered as the same subject? Thank you.

ReCom Staff Wiki Contributor
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys overlooked the fact that one needs to have that talent to teach.

A brilliant researcher may not be a charismatic teacher.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast