Chatbox  [Archives]

Loading ...
Empty the chat input field
MGC Chatbox Evo v3.3.0 by MGC © 2008-2012
General help
The MGC Chatbox Evo is really easy to use

You can :
  1. Send chats : you just have to enter the text in the dedicated input field and then to validate it by pushing the return key ou by clicking on the OK button.
  2. Format the chats :
  3. once you un-collapse the chatbox formatting toolbar by clicking on the BBCode button, you have access to different formatting options for your chats. You can format a chat by selecting a part (or the totality) of it and then select one of the buttons/list. You can also add empty formatting tags by selecting nothing and clicking one of the buttons/menu thus allowing you to add the chat text afterwards between these tags.*
  4. Access to the different channels : you can have access to different channels restricted to only some usergroupds or for specifics use of the chatbox. The different channels are accessible from the buttons on the left of the chatbox.*
  5. Edit your chats (or others chats) : the edition of a chat can be done by a simple double-click on it.*
  6. Use specific commands : some commands can be accessible in the chatbox depending on the will of the administrator(s) of your forum. These commands let you execute specific actions of formatting, management, etc... You will herebelow the information on the command which are accessible to you. You must notice that you are not forced to use the command prefixes (/command_name) when you use them in the channel they are attached to (except in the general channel).*
* : Depending on the settings chosen by the administrator(s) of the forum, you might not have access to all these features.

User Tag List

Obligatory Pep Talk and General Advice with regards to Scholarship Rejections

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Obligatory Pep Talk and General Advice with regards to Scholarship Rejections

ReCom Addict Administrator youngyew's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Obligatory Pep Talk and General Advice with regards to Scholarship Rejections

Quote Originally Posted by Young View Post
    One of my favourite quotes on failure:

"It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all - in which case, you fail by default."
    ~Joanne K Rowling~
    <digression>Do you know I happened to have just posted this very quote in my Facebook status a few days ago? </digression>
    [][][][flickr]

Check out our ReCom wiki!
    Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!

Secondary School Student adele123's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Obligatory Pep Talk and General Advice with regards to Scholarship Rejections

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF8uR6Z6KLc

This is Steve Job giving a speech at Stanford University 2005. It might not be that related to this thread, but just as inspiring. Just wanted to share.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adele123 For This Useful Post:

Primary School Children zekrypton's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was the end of the world to me when I failed to secure a scholarship which would have assisted me to pursue tertiary education oversea. I felt my universe totally shattered. This is partly due to the stereotype my peers and everyone around me imbued my mind with such that studying in local uni is rather substandard to any foreign universities. (What to do? We Asians are raised with the mentality of the moon is rounder and the grass is greener on the other side)

But nevertheless, I'm grateful for getting admitted into local uni, doing the course I like. But deep inside my heart, I think things would have been very different if I were to study abroad. And yes, I was very unhappy (maybe I'm still a little, comparatively) in the beginning because everyone seemed to be very reserved and quiet and I could hardly make any friends. But thankfully, I made friends gradually.

Sigh. To this day, I still hope that I could secure a scholarship to further my education abroad. I felt really, really rejected. However, maybe I'm just not good enough (And my friends were like, "You should totally get a scholarship to do your degree in the states or soemthing." It was somewhat an unmarked expectation. Subconsciously, it upsets me even more. T.T) .

All in all, maybe this is a blessing in disguise. Studying in local public uni gives me the opportunity to visit my home very frequently. And maybe, things do happen for the better reasons. Who knows?
    A joke is a very serious thing.

Kindergarten
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^we're totally in the same shoes. I feel miserable being rejected from getting scholarships.

btw, thanks so much for your advice Glassylicious. Wish I read this thread earlier =/ so I won't feel this terrible.

Kindergarten
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Believe me, It's hard to be rejected..I've been rejected countless times, but it'll always somehow work out for the best.If you got rejected by JPA..well no biggie..it's gonna be their loss anyway..well..I got rejected many times but finally got one that's well worth everything..waaayyy better than JPA...when I got rejected at first I felt frankly..like s***..yeah i's a fact..but know it'll always work out for the better

Quote Originally Posted by zekrypton View Post
    It was the end of the world to me when I failed to secure a scholarship which would have assisted me to pursue tertiary education oversea. I felt my universe totally shattered. This is partly due to the stereotype my peers and everyone around me imbued my mind with such that studying in local uni is rather substandard to any foreign universities. (What to do? We Asians are raised with the mentality of the moon is rounder and the grass is greener on the other side)

But nevertheless, I'm grateful for getting admitted into local uni, doing the course I like. But deep inside my heart, I think things would have been very different if I were to study abroad. And yes, I was very unhappy (maybe I'm still a little, comparatively) in the beginning because everyone seemed to be very reserved and quiet and I could hardly make any friends. But thankfully, I made friends gradually.

Sigh. To this day, I still hope that I could secure a scholarship to further my education abroad. I felt really, really rejected. However, maybe I'm just not good enough (And my friends were like, "You should totally get a scholarship to do your degree in the states or soemthing." It was somewhat an unmarked expectation. Subconsciously, it upsets me even more. T.T) .

All in all, maybe this is a blessing in disguise. Studying in local public uni gives me the opportunity to visit my home very frequently. And maybe, things do happen for the better reasons. Who knows?
    Studying locally doesn't make you anything less than substandard..I've go friends who after studying locally manage to make it into Ivy leagues (e.g Cornell..)for their post grads studies and stuff..This shows that our standards ain't that bad at all so don't worry..just study hard and you'll never know..you might learn so much more here than there... the grass is greener on the other side cause you may have not experienced the other side...you might not realize but the grass may actually be greener back where you are
    Last edited by kkboy92; 09-12-2010 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

ReCom Staff ReMag Writer nickvl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^bump

just in case.

Primary School Children Archangel's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Glassy, you made me feel so much better now. I got rejected by every single company I applied for (not even first stage) except Khazanah, which I also got rejected eventually.

Oh well, life has to go on for me then! =)
    Arashian I am.

Secondary School Student
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zulhelmi View Post
    Well, I dont know what to say. One thing for sure that the post is really inspiring yet something at the back of my mind says that I'm a loser. And it kept repeat itself like a broken record.

I want things so bad but I dont have any confidence when doing it. Like for the MEXT scholarship, I want it. I got the letter for the exam but I dont think I'll be going for it. Because:
    -I'm pretty sure that I'm not gonna get it
    -I'm not really a bright student
    -Felt hopeless after JPA rejected me
    -I know that I cant do it, so..
    -I dont want another rejection, it's just very depressing. Seriously. I had enough depressing moments in my life and I dont want another one.
    -Thinking whether going or not is also depressing!
    -Reading the posts at Recom makes me depressing.
    -Life is very depressing.

Yet, I'm keen to go because:
    -I FEEL SO F***ING DEPRESSED WHEN I SEE ALL MY FRIENDS GOING SOMEWHERE
    -I dont want to be the loser who left behind
    -Just want to try my luck
    -It's Business Admin! [though I'm going for Acccountancy in UiTM]
    -I dont want to go to UiTM.

So I dont know. Call me stupid if you want to because I knew I get annoying sometimes. And kinda like a spoilt brat maybe. I dont know.

Quoting myself for an update. Gosh, I am now seriously laughing at what I wrote here few years ago

So here's an update, I just graduated from UiTM, Diploma in Accounting. Applied again for JPA's grant in semester 1 (using my 7A's SPM), then again in semester 3 (CGPA 3.98 at that time), failed at both attempts. I finally stopped looking for scholarships and concentrate on my study. So I graduated with CGPA 3.86, a dean's list student for 6 semesters in a row, I am currently in the line of receiving the Vice Chancellor Award this October. I feel that it was the best thing for me of NOT getting the JPA's grant. I'm free from any bond, I got excellent results (I think) and the best of all, I did it for the sake of my own family, my mom and my dad, not because I'm bonded to with someone else ie maintain 3.5 to keep receiving scholarship etc.

So now, I started to post again in Recom since the last couple of months because I'm in the midst of applying/attending scholarship interviews for my degree. I received 3 conditional offers from UK so far, attended few interviews and I feel good. I mean really, it was the end of the world for me. I got up, I did it for my family, I did it for myself, and it was WORTH IT, seriously. I proved to myself that I am better off with or without any financial assistance.. so yeah!

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zulhelmi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zekrypton View Post

yea i felt that be4.. a day b4 the real jpa scholarship result came out, i tried this link and stated that i didnt get.. im not sure i was sad because i'd really wanted to learn overseas as i realize that only a few ( less than 5 ) germany institute made it to top 100 in world ranking.. and i also doubt that it provides for foreign student.. so im assuming any IPT that we might be sent overseas might not be in the top hundred.. i also managed to get UM ofr foundation n i think UM is pretty established...

what im trying to say is i felt sad because i lost the battle not because i wanted to study overseas.. who knows those who went anywhere overseas might end up being an overseas graduate and with no quality certification...
    Last edited by gryff_grey; 07-06-2012 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm posting something here to remind myself this. I hope that by the time I re-read this, I've move on and am happy of what I am doing in university.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast