Chatbox  [Archives]

Loading ...
Empty the chat input field
MGC Chatbox Evo v3.3.0 by MGC © 2008-2012
General help
The MGC Chatbox Evo is really easy to use

You can :
  1. Send chats : you just have to enter the text in the dedicated input field and then to validate it by pushing the return key ou by clicking on the OK button.
  2. Format the chats :
  3. once you un-collapse the chatbox formatting toolbar by clicking on the BBCode button, you have access to different formatting options for your chats. You can format a chat by selecting a part (or the totality) of it and then select one of the buttons/list. You can also add empty formatting tags by selecting nothing and clicking one of the buttons/menu thus allowing you to add the chat text afterwards between these tags.*
  4. Access to the different channels : you can have access to different channels restricted to only some usergroupds or for specifics use of the chatbox. The different channels are accessible from the buttons on the left of the chatbox.*
  5. Edit your chats (or others chats) : the edition of a chat can be done by a simple double-click on it.*
  6. Use specific commands : some commands can be accessible in the chatbox depending on the will of the administrator(s) of your forum. These commands let you execute specific actions of formatting, management, etc... You will herebelow the information on the command which are accessible to you. You must notice that you are not forced to use the command prefixes (/command_name) when you use them in the channel they are attached to (except in the general channel).*
* : Depending on the settings chosen by the administrator(s) of the forum, you might not have access to all these features.

User Tag List

[STPM] Physics

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: [STPM] Physics

Secondary School Student
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default [STPM] Physics

I do not understand what does it mean by "The velocity of the ball V2 after collision has the same magnitude as its velocity before collision V1, but the direction of V2 is at right angles to V1". Let said the V2 is 5m/s, so the V1 would be 5m/s too?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Physics STPM

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    I do not understand what does it mean by "The velocity of the ball V2 after collision has the same magnitude as its velocity before collision V1, but the direction of V2 is at right angles to V1". Let said the V2 is 5m/s, so the V1 would be 5m/s too?
    Yes. When we refer to the magnitude of the velocity, we are actually referring to the speed of the object and disregard its direction.

Secondary School Student
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Physics STPM

Quote Originally Posted by chiunlin
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    Yes. When we refer to the magnitude of the velocity, we are actually referring to the speed of the object and disregard its direction.
    So is there any change of velocity in the above statement? Because the V2 and V1 has the same velocity, so it should be 0 ??? But how come the question ask me to find the change in Velocity ?

Primary School Children
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

change in speed will be 0

change in velocity=v2-v1
    =v2+(-v1)

Draw vector diagram.should be 45 degrees , magnitude surd 2 of V1

Secondary School Student
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by david_david
    change in speed will be 0

change in velocity=v2-v1
    =v2+(-v1)

Draw vector diagram.should be 45 degrees , magnitude surd 2 of V1
    You got it correct!! But i am still confused. If the v1 = 5m/s and v2 = 5 m/s. How come there is still change in velocity??

Primary School Children
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Velocity is a vector.
    It has direction in addition to magnitude.
    5 km north plus 5km east won't give you 10km.( just an example)
    the same if you subtract.( subtraction is actually adding the negative of the vector)

Secondary School Student
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanx David.. i could barely understand it

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the v1 and v2 you show is speed, which is scalar, i.e. non-directional. You just look at how fast it moves, but don't care where it moves to.

Whereas velocity cares about how fast it moves and which direction it moves to.

Secondary School Student
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, since we're talking about STPM physics here, I'm gonna ask a couple of questions I didn't really get from my just concluded mid-year exams.

From paper II:

A rocket is fixed vertically on its launching pad. Before launching is started, the mass of the rocket and its fuel is 1.9 X 10^3 kg. During launching, gas is emitted from the rocket with a velocity of 2.5 X 10^3 m/s relative to the rocket. The fuel is used at a constant rate of of 7.4 kg/s. Find the thrust of the rocket.

From paper I:

A helicopter of mass 3.0 X 10^3 kg rises vertically with a constant velocity of 25 m/s. By taking the acceleration of free fall as 10 m/s^2, calculate the resultant force acting on the helicopter.

A) zero
    B) 3.0 X 10^4 N downwards
    C) 4.5 X 10^4 N upwards
    D) 7.5 X 10^4 N upwards

Any help or explanation on answering thse two questions from ya all would be greatly appreciated...
    All I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by - John Masefield, Sea Fever

Primary School Children
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1)Thrust refers to the force exerted by the rocket, not considering it's weight right?

then it should be the velocity of the gas emitted times the rate of change of mass( the rate the fuel is burned).....from newton's 2nd law.(F=vdm/dt+mdv/dt)... but in this case dv/dt is zero

2)since it has uniform velocity, resultant force should be zero.when there is a net force there is always acceleration.

I hope it is correct.......

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast