Chatbox  [Archives]

Loading ...
Empty the chat input field
MGC Chatbox Evo v3.3.0 by MGC © 2008-2012
General help
The MGC Chatbox Evo is really easy to use

You can :
  1. Send chats : you just have to enter the text in the dedicated input field and then to validate it by pushing the return key ou by clicking on the OK button.
  2. Format the chats :
  3. once you un-collapse the chatbox formatting toolbar by clicking on the BBCode button, you have access to different formatting options for your chats. You can format a chat by selecting a part (or the totality) of it and then select one of the buttons/list. You can also add empty formatting tags by selecting nothing and clicking one of the buttons/menu thus allowing you to add the chat text afterwards between these tags.*
  4. Access to the different channels : you can have access to different channels restricted to only some usergroupds or for specifics use of the chatbox. The different channels are accessible from the buttons on the left of the chatbox.*
  5. Edit your chats (or others chats) : the edition of a chat can be done by a simple double-click on it.*
  6. Use specific commands : some commands can be accessible in the chatbox depending on the will of the administrator(s) of your forum. These commands let you execute specific actions of formatting, management, etc... You will herebelow the information on the command which are accessible to you. You must notice that you are not forced to use the command prefixes (/command_name) when you use them in the channel they are attached to (except in the general channel).*
* : Depending on the settings chosen by the administrator(s) of the forum, you might not have access to all these features.

User Tag List

New Form 4 & 5 English Literature Syallbus!

View Poll Results: Which do yo prefer in Literature. Drama or novel?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Drama

1 14.29%
  • Novel

6 85.71%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Form 4 & 5 English Literature Syallbus!

ReCom Staff ReMag Writer SapphireDragon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: New Form 4 & 5 English Literature Syallbus!

Quote Originally Posted by JYHee View Post
    Well, "journey to the centre of the earth" should be interesting i guess. But...comic book? not novel?
    Of course its interesting for teens with their minds hungering for fantasy and adventure, unlike seemingly "dull" short stories such as The Necklace. But to look at the bigger picture, of course it is vital students are exposed to a higher standard of literature to improve their mastery of the English language. Heck, comics are not even literature material at the first place to me!
    "A pessimist sees the diffculty in every opportunity, but an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty".

Be an optimist and enjoy life!

Visit my blog.

The Iron Fist Chief Editor of ReMag
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JYHee View Post
    Well, "journey to the centre of the earth" should be interesting i guess. But...comic book? not novel?
    I think by "comic book" he actually meant a "highly illustrated novel". One which appears to have more graphical illustrations than actual text.

Friend: "I've discovered something that's even better than sitting on a chair and spinning on it -- sitting on a chair BACKWARDS and spinning on it!" *spins around in glee*

Compliment yourself today!

ReCom Staff ReMag Writer nickvl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And to think American students are doing "To Kill A Mockingbird" over 200 pages...and that's heavy stuff....

p/s : I want my Phantom of the Opera back!!!

Personally, I think 'The Count of Monte Cristo' would make a fantastic literature book

Quote Originally Posted by SapphireDragon View Post
    I don't know if this is true. The form 1-3 syllabus has now changed to a comic book entitled "Journey To the Centre of the Earth". Seriously, its right in front of me now. I'm not sure if there are poems or short stories coming in, but if this is it, then the English education in Malaysia is doomed.
    Oh dear god, Jules Verne must have flipped in his grave. Seriously, I think 15-year-olds would, or should i say, should have, enough attention span to complete the actual novel.

No wonder kids nowadays have such low attention spans and ADD (attention deficit disorder)
    Last edited by nickvl; 07-11-2009 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Kindergarten
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatever the govt introduce something, they have the 95% of the pupils in mind and not the 5%. The 95% "speak no England".

Just visit any SMK and you will find many pupils who can't even string a simple sentence in English.

I have met many teachers and headmasters who cannot even speak a word of English!

That is the reality in this country. And that is sad.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed. I saw those literature books while I went to school to return the text books. The contents of the book were damn easy, especially the drama. When I go and check the new malay novel, the difficulty of the book is maintained and the plot became more interesting. I felt sorry for those that will study english literature next year.. Lets just hope the form 5 novel has higher standard than this one...
    ~A life lived for others is a life worthwhile~ Albert Einstein

Live your life to the fullest, for yourself and for those around you.

Secondary School Student
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vikraman View Post
    Simple solution, make everyone do the proper Literature in English that I did. Now that's a real educator. Even with my command of the language it was challenging and made me think and on a personal note it helped me learn to write.
    Here, here. For those who are really "hampeh" about this substitute for a proper literature education, just take up LiE (Literature In English) and have a blast exploring novels, poems etc. with immense depth of meaning and (for once) interesting Issues.

Malaysia Boleh!

ReCom Staff ReMag Writer nickvl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by slappyfin3 View Post
    Here, here. For those who are really "hampeh" about this substitute for a proper literature education, just take up LiE (Literature In English) and have a blast exploring novels, poems etc. with immense depth of meaning and (for once) interesting Issues.

Malaysia Boleh!
    Too bad...maximum subjects is only 10....and extra 2 for chinese and tamil language

Kindergarten
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well...not exactly. The extra 2 are your choices actually. So you can choose to do LiE if you want to.

Back to the topic, I agree that our old Literature texts were 'dry' and 'boring' and 'devoid of life' but at least they had DEPTH

The new ones...they may be EASY to read AND contemporary BUT only one or two of them have DEPTH. Did you know that one of the stories in the Form 1 - 3 syllabus is by rights for 7 years old children? (I know because I have the book with the story in it; the book is for 7 year olds.)

For the Form 4 - 5, why can't they just push the old LiE syllabuses to them? It's saves time anyway. And I canNOT believe what SapphireDragon posted was ACTUALLY the text. I couldn't stop gaping.

Last week I just saw a new workbook for it and I went and read all the poems in there. None of them captured my heart except for a few.

Don't misunderstand me. I'm really glad that Malaysian Government is taking steps to give Literature a more contemporary feel. I just wished they'd be slightly more mature in choosing or arranging their texts.

ReCom Staff ReMag Writer Nicholas92's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah. Heck, even Harry Potter would be a better choice; it's contemporary, it's well written, it has deep themes and lessons to it. May not be everyone's cup of tea but I think it's any time better than what they're doing now.

The old texts were boring, sure, but they were better too. Though I still have gripes about them. The Pearl isn't too bad a novel, but I thought it was pretty basic, pretty simple. We could do that in Form 3 without a problem. In Form 2 we had Phantom of the Opera - a good choice, but unfortunately we got the lousy abridged version. All the original language in the book - lost. I've seen the original and it's many many times thicker than the one we read.

Whereas for BM we're given heaps of texts and really thick novels to read. Some of the novels are all right, but some are just mediocre to me. I mean, my BM's not really good, but sometimes some of the books don't even come off as high-level literature to me. Same with the short stories. Annyss Sophillea, anyone? Personally I always found the BM sci-fi short stories utterly lame. The one I mentioned had a real cheap ending. On the other hand, the lame stories are also easier to remember and study. That's the trade-off I guess.

I don't mind them maintaining the level of BM literature studies, but at the very least English should be a close second. To lower the standard simply because there are many students who are poor in English is rubbish. It becomes a circle; because many students aren't good in English, our English standards are crap, but then because those standards are crap, lots of our students aren't good in English. I didn't grow up speaking BM around the house but that didn't stop primary school from torturing me with BM in my first year despite zero knowledge of it. If we can sledgehammer little kids with BM without them having spoken it before, why can't we do the same for those who don't know English? It's pretty much the best way to get people to learn.

Secondary School Student eugenetoh91's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OMG...I better read my childhood story book-"Peter and Jane" by Ladybird Publication. That book is much better than the drama above. It's so boring and inadequate for Form 4 and Form 5 students. Malaysia education department really did not make any effort in analyzing the syllabus.
    NOTHING is perfect. so,
    PERFECT IT!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast