Those pictures were taken by a professional photographer. In a strict sense, they aren't from a brochure but they're destined to go into a brochure - the EE dept is organising its inaugural conference and these pics are going in there.
Although the angles do make the pics look very impressive, I assure you that the structures, labs and equipment you see are for real; not models.
You're most welcome to visit! : ) . If you manage to come down before August this year, I'll still be around and should be able to give you a tour
As for teaching style, medium of instruction is in English. UTP does place a lot of emphasis on projects and coursework (i.e. tests, assignments, projects). Typically 40% of the grades for undergrad classes are from these activities, the remaining 60% is graded from the finals. Some upper level undergrad courses may allocate upto 50% for coursework. The DSP course which I am presently tutoring is one such subject. The undergrads have to implement a signal processing application on the TI C6711 DSP. Maybe 'nerdook' can give a better student perspective ;P
Personally, I did enjoy my study at UTP. While it wasn't always fun and dandy (workload can get pretty heavy, we take 6 subjects per sem on avg), there were many enjoyable moments and some interesting cocu activities to get involved in. I played the violin in a musical group. We got to perform for Tun Mahathir, Datuk Seri Abdullah Badawi and a whole host of dignitaries and PETRONAS Managers. There are games, societies and recently some of the foreign students are offering free language classes (i.e French, Japanese, etc...)
Yet, I believe our activities are not as diverse as what you may have in the States. Notably because we are an all-technology university. No humanities, arts or business majors here soe everyone you'll meet is or will be an engineer / technologist. There is that small and dedicated group of General Studies lecturers who try hard to show us that the world isn't all cogworks, boilers and flowing electroncs though...
Pics of the hostels? Can you take some 'nerdook'? Maybe you could rope in more of your friends to give their opinion.