(UPDATED 29 APR)
New Policy - Read or Risk Having Posts / Membership Deleted
It has come to our attention that there are a lot of posts that are pure chit-chats or of trivial natures in the forums like Education, Scholarships, Pre-U, Undergraduate etc. Here at ReCom we would love to see people form bonds and make new friends with each other, but at the same time we would like those messages to be separate from actual discussions in our forum.
Just imagine someone coming into a Matrikulasi thread trying to look for information, but most of the messages turn out to be "hey I am in XX matrikulasi, who also going XX please shout out!"
That beats the purpose of information sharing in those education forums.
From now onwards, we would like to implement this policy:
JPA thread in EDUCATION sub-forum:
real, helpful, constructive content only.
JPA thread in CHAT sub-forum:
do all your socialisation and gossip-gossip here.
In the education forum, these are what we do not like to see:
- "I fail to get JPA. HOW?!!"
- Read all the existing advice in existing threads. Unless your case is truly unique, of course.
- "Thanks for the info, brother."
-That's what the thanks hack is for.
- "My interview in in Nilai. What about yours?"
- Do it in the Chat forum.
- "I am going to UNITEN! YOO! Anyone going to UNITEN too?"
- Chat forum
- UPDATE (19 APR): "What's your SPM Result / Are you SPM 2007"
- This is also considered chat unless it is relevant to the discussion.
Bottom line, we DO NOT want off topic posts and spammy posts. Use Chat forum if your post do not contribute content to the more "serious" threads.
Consequences of rule violation:
1. Off-topic / chatty posts (e.g. "hey XX when are you going to Kedah Matrikulasi" in "education" section) will be removed / censored without notice.
2. Warning from staff (moderator or admin or both)
We welcome members to help enforce this rule by reporting questionable posts using the report button (the ! sign on the lower left of every post).
UPDATE (29 APR):
As mentioned by some members, it's very hard to define what is chat and what is discussion. Most admins/moderators are quite lenient about this: when they find something that are bordering between chat and discussion, they usually just leave the posts intact. Only the outright chat posts will be deleted / moved to the chat forum.
Here's a good rule of thumb: when you write / read a post, think about whether a random person coming to this thread would benefit from this post. "XXX, are you going tomorrow?" won't benefit anyone, so this is definitely a chat. "Someone got both petronas and jpa, how did he do it" might be relevant, so could be considered discussion. Et cetera.
But don't get too worked up over which is which. As long as you are contributing content, you will be fine. And we will always keep our eyes open on any digression and moderate accordingly.