English For Science & Technology studying tips
From ReCom Wiki
English For Science & Technology Studying Tips for SPM
1) Objective Questions - It may seem easy to answer the 30 objective questions, but one has look at the multiple choice answers properly as the answers might be tricky. Thus, be careful when you choose the answer.
2) Information transfer - Read the passage and questions properly and take down the points that are required by the questions. Don't do total lifting. Total lifting means copying one whole sentence from the article which is not allowed. Therefore, make some modification to the sentence or write only the important points from the sentence.
- Main thing: Use scientific terms. The examiners don't check one's grammar so much. Their main focus is scientific terms. Therefore, remember to use as many scientific terms as a brilliant essay (in terms of language) with few scientific terms will not be awarded good marks.
- Add as much related information you know into your essay to gain extra points. Don't limit yourself to only what you have studied in the EST textbook. What you have learnt in other subjects such as Physics, Chemistry, Biology and History can also be useful in writing your essay. While many tend to read only science-related things, do remember that technology-related questions will also be asked. So, do get yourself well equipped with all sorts of knowledge such as robots.
- In EST, knowledge is power. Try gaining more knowledge from other sources such as newspapers, books, the internet and television (yes, TV does help) as well as asking your teachers, be it your EST teacher or other Science teachers for more detailed explanations on certain topics during class. EST has a very wide scope of topics; the essay question can be about almost anything under the sun (and also beyond it).
- Remember to use all the points given. The examiners will give you marks based on the elaboration of the points. Try to write at least an elaboration for each point.
- Besides elaborating the given points, do remember to add some additional information into your essays.