PDA

View Full Version : Event: Vacation Research Programme (VRP) 2011

vseehua
22-10-2010, 02:52 PM
The Vacation Research Programme (VRP) is a new programme available to post-SPM students, who are interested in exploring a scientific research career. VRP is designed to offer motivated students the opportunity to be involved in hands-on research project under the mentorship of established research scientists, laboratory technicians and graduate students in various tertiary research institutions in Malaysia.

Who can apply?
All Malaysian Form 5 students who will be sitting for SPM in 2010 are eligible to apply.

When will the programme begin and how long does the programme last for?
The programme will begin any time after SPM examinations, and must last for a minimum of three months. Date of commencement and length of the program is to be negotiated between successful applicants and their research supervisors.

Do I get scholarship/ stipend for this programme?
Successful applicants will receive RM 1000.00 scholarship each. Half of the scholarship will be awarded at the beginning of the programme, with the remaining awarded upon completion of the programme.

How many places are available?
There will only be three places available for 2011. The number is expected to increase in the subsequent years.

Do I have to look for a research supervisor for this programme?
No. Potential research supervisors interested in the programme have been contacted, and successful applicants will be matched to one of the three researchers involved in the programme for 2011. The three researchers involved in the VRP for 2011 are based at:

Malaria Research Centre, Faculty of Medicine and Health Science, University Malaysia Sarawak (UNIMAS), Kuching, Sarawak
School of Science, Monash University (Sunway campus), Bandar Sunway, Selangor
Brain Research Institute at Monash Sunway (BRIMS), Monash University (Sunway campus), Bandar Sunway, Selangor
However, if you are aware of any researchers who would like to be involved in the programme in the future, please feel free to contact us on vrp2011@<hidden>.

What are the selection criteria?
Selection for the programme is on a competitive basis, taking into account all information provided in the application. Shortlisted applications will be forwarded to potential research supervisors, and the supervisors will make the final decision on the applicant selected for the programme in his/ her laboratory. The requirement of interview is at the discretion of each supervisor.

How do I apply?
Fill in the application form (VRP 2011 Application form), and submit the application form along with a letter of recommendation, a scanned certified copy of PMR results and higher secondary academic results to:

Vacation Research Programme
Peti Surat 54, 05670 Alor Setar, Kedah.

The closing date for the application is 15th December 2010.

When will I know the results of my application?
Applicants will be notified of the results of their application by early January.

What happens at the end of my programme placement?
Successful applicants are required to write a short report at the end of the programme, covering the work carried out in the laboratory, and benefits and experience gained through the programme.

For further information, please visit http://vacationresearchprogramme.wordpress.com/ or contact us on vrp2011@<hidden>.

kinokaru
22-10-2010, 09:31 PM
awww, if only this programme existed a year earlier
now I'm not qualified :(

unsolvedcryptex
22-10-2010, 09:55 PM
awww, if only this programme existed a year earlier
now I'm not qualified :(

same.:)):))

alter_ego
22-10-2010, 10:55 PM
me too. TT

yanno_yamster
22-10-2010, 11:28 PM
Would have participated without much hesitation, too bad I'm no longer eligible.

Chelsea
23-10-2010, 07:02 PM
thank you so much for the post. I will definitely participate. Lucky for me, i am taking my spm this year. Now, i really look forward to fill my time with this activities. thank you again.

kaiyi
25-10-2010, 12:30 PM
It sounds so interesting! but i'm no longer eligible......haizzz

day_dreamer
03-11-2010, 01:47 AM
anyone from recom applied this ? Mind sharing your experience ?

vseehua
03-11-2010, 12:17 PM
anyone from recom applied this ? Mind sharing your experience ?
I don't think anyone has participated in this. I just got the information for a contact who requested me to spread the information around. Hopefully, there will be ReComers joining in this year's program, and are willing to share with us their experiences.

day_dreamer
05-11-2010, 05:13 AM
I don't think anyone has participated in this. I just got the information for a contact who requested me to spread the information around. Hopefully, there will be ReComers joining in this year's program, and are willing to share with us their experiences.

Yes however I think it would be more feasible if the programme is opened to STPM students and it's taken into account of admission into public university.

I mean... come one all of those in universities know that what we learnt when we were in SPM were all wrong EVEN HISTORY is WRONG ! It's an extensively simplified and falsified system to make us all feel more confident about ourselves. Whereas those in STPM learn the real-thing and in research, only the real things applies.