PDA

View Full Version : Event: 33rd INCOVAR Dhamma Camp (Religious: Buddhist, Language: English)

vseehua
03-11-2010, 11:47 AM
Dear Brothers and Sisters in the Dharma,

Have you ever been unhappy and unsatisfied with life?
Do you feel your life is plagued with problems but no solutions?

More than 2,500 years ago, the Buddha, the Fully Enlightened One, showed us the way to the truth of life, the path to ultimate Happiness

trenchcoat101
04-11-2010, 08:26 AM
Hi vseehua,
Have you participated in this camp before?
If yes, mind sharing a bit on the camp?
thanks.

odie21spore
04-11-2010, 08:59 AM
I have been fascinated by this Religion.
And i would love to learn more from it specially about the four noble truth.
I would highly appreciate it if you can tell what would they have in this camp because I think I am interested to join it.

vseehua
04-11-2010, 02:03 PM
Hi vseehua,
Have you participated in this camp before?
If yes, mind sharing a bit on the camp?
thanks.

I have been fascinated by this Religion.
And i would love to learn more from it specially about the four noble truth.
I would highly appreciate it if you can tell what would they have in this camp because I think I am interested to join it.

I have been a participant myself twice. For me, what is interesting about the camp is that they always bring in new ways to present the Dhamma in fresh, practical and interesting ways. We were given the normal stuffs like Dhamma talks on topics relevant to the theme of the camp, workshops that made us run all over the place, as well as making us sit down and root ourselves to the floor, and be still for the duration of the session (mindfulness).

The main highlight of the camp, the INCOVAR Experience (IXP), were particularly interesting, and touching at the same time. During my first camp we were show a play acted by the committees. They did it really really well. It was funny in the beginning, but eventually gets to end in a tragedy (abortion). For this time, we were given a knock on the head, and made to ponder about the seemingly innocent actions that we may take, but will have major impacts in the future. Afterwards we were given the chance to share about our experiences (blindfolded) in small groups, and make aspirations to improve on ourselves in the future.

Of course, the IXP for each and every camp are entirely different from each other, and I can't put out spoilers about what they are going to do for the next camp. However, I can say that the provisional plans are looking good, and will leave quite an impression on the participants on how blessed they are to live the life they are living now.

Through the camp I have came to meet a lot of my good friends (they still are now). These group of friends are the true gems of life, as they are there no matter we are down, or up. (This is also the main reason I am back here to help out with the activities).

Appendix (A short introduction to INCOVAR):
INCOVAR is the youth wing of the Buddhist Gem Fellowship, a Buddhist society catering to Buddhist professionals located in section 19, Petalling Jaya. The words INCOVAR comes from a combination of INter-COllege-uniVARsity. This also means that we serve mainly the undergraduates around the Klang Valley area (since most of us are located there).

The main highlight of INCOVAR is the INCOVAR Dhamma Camp (IDC). INCOVAR Dhamma Camps are structured around 4 main basic themes of Buddhism, and are held twice a year (June and December, timed to coincide with university/college holidays):

Four Noble Truth
5 Precepts

Through the activities, we aim to create a wide and strong Buddhist youth fellowship among the students in Malaysia, and to spread the correct understanding of the Dhamma (and that the Dhamma can be practical and fun as well!).

unsolvedcryptex
04-11-2010, 05:08 PM
May I know which stream does this group belong? Mahayana or Theravada?

Just curious

vseehua
04-11-2010, 05:29 PM
We don't belong to any stream, be it Theravada, Mahayana or Vajrayana.

May I know which stream does this group belong? Mahayana or Theravada?

Just curious

unsolvedcryptex
04-11-2010, 08:04 PM
We don't belong to any stream, be it Theravada, Mahayana or Vajrayana.

Great......