PDA

View Full Version : Opening

taufiq
19-07-2005, 11:32 PM
Which openings are your favourites?

what's your fav opening?

mine is usually e4 and then g3

i always change my opening
i used to be using Ruy Lopez (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 etc etc)
I prefer a closed game nowadays with 1.Nf3 which usually turns to be Reti after 1. .. d5 2.c4

I would like to try English 1.c4 later.. Anyone has a good recommendation for that opening?

my fav openings..

white piece : king's indian, queen's gambit, giucco piano (italian defence)

black piece : sicilian dragon, sicilian najdorf, averbakh variation (for counter-attacking king's indian)

i'm an attacking type player. so it's quite understandable why i always use the above openings. however i'm quite weak in endgame. probably due to my tactic to sacrifice many pieces to gain space. a good player is normally very strong in endgame. so to topple a strong opponent, i always play a closed game and try to finish him off in the middlegame. if the game is been dragged to endgame, chances are i might lose easily.

by the way, is zingkov an IM?

let's continue the exciting discussion here..

taufiq
19-07-2005, 11:35 PM
zingkov has his first IM norm
not yet an IM
but soon to be I guess (yes zingkov?)

he played very well in the current 2nd Amsterdam Open
i'm still waiting for his 4th game result againts John Marcus from Netherland

zingkov
20-07-2005, 03:13 AM
zingkov has his first IM norm
not yet an IM
but soon to be I guess (yes zingkov?)

he played very well in the current 2nd Amsterdam Open
i'm still waiting for his 4th game result againts John Marcus from Netherland

IM title? not yet la, and not so soon, but i promise myself to eventually get it before i die...

taufiq, i think i had been doing very well for the 1st 30 moves in all my games, but then i made blunders...one bad move meant one bad game...one bad game meant one bad tournament...somemore i made so many bad moves...thus, in gross, i think i screwed up this event already... :(

sometimes 1 really feel like quitting chess when kena turnovered 2 games in a row...

zingkov
20-07-2005, 03:17 AM
My favourite opening as black (for white normally not so important) is Benko Gambit against 1.d4 and Sicilian Najdorf against 1.e4, never change since 8 years ago...

taufiq
20-07-2005, 05:23 AM
I like how benko gambit opens up black's queen side to produce a great attacking power. I like the way you make your 2nd opponent (in Amsterdam) left his king-side undevelop and later on he had to castle without any pawn in front of the king..

i like the ..b6 variation in benko gambit.

gonjeng
21-07-2005, 12:05 AM
heh... mine is french defense (black) and guicci piano or ruy lopez for white... although, it also depends on the mood and my opponent, i may use the simple crappy... damn i forgot the name but its the one with 1. e4, 2. d4, 3. dxe4... hehehe... thats the first opening i learnt when i was little :)

chiunlin
21-07-2005, 01:49 AM
:P I think I'm the reverse of Zingkov, my interest lies in Chinese Chess, and I have hardly touched any chess books. My openings are always wild and I usually try to be agressive during mid-game( to make up for the deficit in a not-so-good opening, most of the time) while I tend to be very strong in end game, especially with knights due to my training in Chinese Chess.

zingkov
21-07-2005, 02:29 AM
Endgame is my weakest part...

chiunlin, i think i have the same style of playing like u...don't forget that i also start with chinese chess...then only switch to international chess...

and my game is always wild as well...personal preference of open mad attacking position...tactics is my weapon...actually i used to think i was a positional player...then a good friend of mine (GM Drazen Sermek from Slovenia) enlightened me...he told me that i was a tactical player indeed..n later my rating improved around 100 points bcoz of that...

so, my advice to everyone: know ur style of playing! itz god damn important!

gonjeng
21-07-2005, 06:12 AM

chiunlin, i think i have the same style of playing like u...don't forget that i also start with chinese chess...then only switch to international chess...

and my game is always wild as well...personal preference of open mad attacking position...tactics is my weapon...actually i used to think i was a positional player...then a good friend of mine (GM Drazen Sermek from Slovenia) enlightened me...he told me that i was a tactical player indeed..n later my rating improved around 100 points bcoz of that...

hahaha... same as myself. there are times i simply feel like going wild and start attacking full force. while many times it worked, but sometimes due to my impatience, i made a blunder - it takes only one blunder to screw it up :)

anyhow, what do you mean by tactical and positional player? care to elaborate please?

and damn... i have no idea that we have such professional players in recom. the last time i played professionally (play seriusly and in a competition) was during my high school years. once im in college, everything started going down the drain hahaha...

__earth
21-07-2005, 10:36 AM
have you guys seen black doing 1. e4 f5?

Whenever I see that, I usually panic and ended up losing the game.

taufiq
21-07-2005, 11:16 AM
I think it is called Nimzowitch Defense,although i'm not really sure..
most variations continue with 2. exf

zingkov
23-07-2005, 05:46 AM
anyhow, what do you mean by tactical and positional player? care to elaborate please?

tactical players are those who wish to compete with the opponent on the calculation, only calculation.

positional players are those who aim to challenge the opponent in terms of chess understanding (like weak square, bad bishop, pawn structure etc), positional evaluation, strategy & planning, pieces manuevering etc...mostly in quieter position...

lawteoh
03-07-2007, 06:17 PM
No point in studying opening.. cause everyone will be playing the same move.. e4 will be countered by either c5, c6, e6, Nf6, d5, e5 and so on.. the best way is to think.. Experience count also..

Anyway, among all the counters, I still think c5 is the best to counter white e4.. hehe

lawteoh
03-07-2007, 06:18 PM
have you guys seen black doing 1. e4 f5?

Whenever I see that, I usually panic and ended up losing the game.

you play that to me.. I make sure u lose a pawn immediately.. lolx.. just grab it la.. If white play Nf6, push the g pawn up..

lawteoh
03-07-2007, 06:20 PM

hahaha... same as myself. there are times i simply feel like going wild and start attacking full force. while many times it worked, but sometimes due to my impatience, i made a blunder - it takes only one blunder to screw it up :)

and damn... i have no idea that we have such professional players in recom. the last time i played professionally (play seriusly and in a competition) was during my high school years. once im in college, everything started going down the drain hahaha...

I think tactical player means player who always use tactic to win.. Positional player is one who makes sure all his pieces are in position before the climax... normally, positional player make me bored.. haha.. but then, chess is supposed to make u patient..

oh ya.. dun simply throw pawns up unless everything is locked up.. :P

taufiq
09-01-2008, 01:23 AM
No point in studying opening.. cause everyone will be playing the same move.. e4 will be countered by either c5, c6, e6, Nf6, d5, e5 and so on.. the best way is to think.. Experience count also..

Anyway, among all the counters, I still think c5 is the best to counter white e4.. hehe

Tell Zingkov about this. He studied a lot of chess opening but always selected a random one. hehe true bro?

markwongsk
06-05-2009, 07:17 PM
duh this thread is so dead so I decided to revive it up =)

This post is by me on my school's forum website http://forum.smkbintulu.net

I am quite new to chess (1 and half years) and have only joined one competition thus far so please correct me if I have wrong ideas in the openings thx =)

Well, now's the time to learn some openings. In international chess we normally follow some general principles. These are thus:

(i) Control the center
(ii) Knights before bishops
(iii) Castle early
(iv) Do not move a piece more than once in the opening
(v) Do not move your queen early

Of course, if the opponent violates the opening principles, you should also punish him/her. Sometimes this may involve violating the principles yourself...

Today we'll be learning an opening called Ruy Lopez or also the Spanish Opening/Spanish Torture

http://home.comcast.net/%7Edanheisman/images/RuyLopez.jpg (http://home.comcast.net/%7Edanheisman/images/RuyLopez.jpg)

The Ruy Lopez occurs after the following positions:

1. e4 e5
2. Nf6 Nc3
3. Bb5

The Ruy Lopez is a very positional yet potentially tactical opening. By moving the Bishop to b5, the Bishop attacks the sole defender of e5. From here on, we have three main continuations:

3. ... a6
3. ... Nf6
3. ... d6

... a6 is Morphy's defence
... Nf6 is Berlin's defence
... d6 is Steinitz defence

Of course, after 3. ... a6, White cannot win the pawn on e5 as demonstrated below:

4. Bxc6 dxc6!?
5. Nxe5?! Qe7! skewering the Knight and pawn (thanks to lawteoh for pointing out my typo)
6. Nf3 Qxe4+
7. Qe2 Qxe2+
8. Kxe2 -/+ due to Black's Bishop pair

Therefore the only logical move would be 4. Ba4 (The moving of the Bishop twice in the opening is in response to Black's weakening of the Queenside and is thus justified)

4. Ba4 Nf6
5. 0-0!?

Black cannot hold onto the pawn in the long run and faces serious attacking chances from White... eg

5. ... Nxe4?!
6. d4! exd4?
7. Re1! pinning the Knight to the King

Note that 6. ... Nf6 then 7. dxe5 regains material

Back from where we left off yesterday:

http://home.comcast.net/%7Edanheisman/images/RuyLopez.jpg (http://home.comcast.net/%7Edanheisman/images/RuyLopez.jpg)

For the Morphy's Defence - Closed Ruy Lopez

1. e4 e5
2. Nf3 Nc6
3. Bb5 a6
4. Ba4 Nf6
5. 0-0 Be7

Now Black is threatening to play 6. ... Nxe4 (remember that 5. ... Nxe4 does not work due to the pin of Re1? Well, now it works since Be7 blocks the pin. Therefore White has to do something about his e4 pawn, and f3 is just weakening the dark squares around White's King. Therefore, the move played is:

6. Re1 b5

This move is played to chase back the Bishop. If instead 6. ... 0-0?! Then 7. Bxc6! dxc6 8.Nxe5 nets a pawn for White.

7. Bb3 0-0

This move order let's Black maintain options between playing the Breyer, Chigorin or the Marshall Attack

8. c3

This move is played for a few reasons:

(i) The Bishop on b3 maybe attacked by a future ... Na5 and thus needs to be preserved
(ii) c3 supports a later d4 advance to stake the centre
(iii) The pawn on e4 maybe attacked in the near future via ... Bb7 (fianchettoing the Bishop on the long diagonal and enveiling a threat on e4). Therefore, it is important for White to be able to play Bc2 to defend the pawn.
(iv) Bc2 takes a hidden aim on h7 and hides some ideas of mating threats and tactics AND also the Greek's gift

Up till now play has developed without a single exchange! (Normal in GM games and also high level chess to avoid drawishness). From here on we have some main branches of play:

8. ... d6 (also can be reached via transposition of 7. ...d6 8. h3 0-0)
8. ... d5!? (The Marshall Attack, giving up a pawn for a strong initiative and ferocious attack. Note that White's Queenside Bishop, Knight and Rook are still on their original squares...)

8. ... d6
9. h3 (D)

http://www.supreme-chess.com/chess-openings/chess-openings-c92.png (http://www.supreme-chess.com/chess-openings/chess-openings-c92.png)

This is the only reasonable move. By denying the Bishop the g4 square White prepares to launch d4. If however, 9. d4? Bg4! (Bogoljubow Variation, -/+) And White finds himself in a deadly pin. 10. h3 Bh5 11. g4? Nxg4! 12. hxg4 Bxg4 and White has too much compensation for the sacrificed piece and a dangerous attack. The pin is still there, meaning black can regain his sacrificed piece with interest...

After 9. h3 we branch into some mainline defence:

9. ... Nb8
9. ... Na5
9. ... Bb7

9. ... Nb8 is the Breyer Defence

http://www.ukgamesshop.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/TWICTheory3.gif (http://www.ukgamesshop.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/TWICTheory3.gif)

I will explain the ideas in a different post

9. ... Na5 is the Chigorin Defence which continues
10. Bc2 c5
11. d4 Qc7

http://www.chessbase.com/shop/images/cbm/cbm127/C90.jpg (http://www.chessbase.com/shop/images/cbm/cbm127/C90.jpg)

9. ... Bb7 is the Zaitsev variation

ryantea
26-07-2009, 12:32 AM
There are recommendations:
for the busy player, go for economical openings. ask the economics to figure out which one.
For the workers, go for theoritical lines...like sicilian...for IMs go and memorize theory like mad.. :)