PDA

View Full Version : First Recom Yahoo chess tournament

PJKru
20-07-2005, 04:03 PM
I would like to organize a tournament to be played in yahoo chess. any takers.
put your name down to register.
first we need some info on the calibration of it all. how many players so on and so forth. should it be a league or knockoujt format. Any prizes for the winner?

taufiq
20-07-2005, 04:15 PM
i'm interested!
but hopefully not soon enough because i only have 2 weeks before my final exam, as well as due date for my senior project

taufiq
20-07-2005, 04:16 PM
and also... this is such a brilliant idea PJKru

gonjeng
21-07-2005, 12:00 AM
uh uh im in!!! damn it has been a while since i last play one decent game :) anyhow, i second to what taufiq said... not in this coming 2-3 weeks. im stuffed with work and thesis to catch up :) late august would do... how about that???

chiunlin
21-07-2005, 01:44 AM
Yeah, I agree, late August would be a better choice. It has been a really long time since I last played chess competitively.

__earth
21-07-2005, 10:39 AM
sweet stuff.

Let's do league =)

deRame
22-07-2005, 10:12 PM
i want to join also. today i've finished my last exam. so i'll be free for the whole 2 months till october (summer holiday...what a good holiday...hehe). the one who organize it should inform me at least 1 month before the tournament begins. i just want time to practise since i don't want to finish last place.

23-07-2005, 12:20 PM
Count me in.

khor_albert
23-07-2005, 12:21 PM
Count me in.

zchen
24-07-2005, 10:26 PM
i wanna join too...looking forward to it.hope i dont finish last..

gonjeng
25-07-2005, 04:09 AM
ooo okay... any updates on this??? lets set up the administrative committee. PJKru, you start...

Byron
04-08-2005, 03:32 AM
I wanna play!!!
I'll start practising today

ALEX_CCL
25-11-2005, 02:12 PM
ALEX CHIA
012-2715692

taufiq
29-11-2005, 10:44 AM
maybe we can have a list of players and set up a date soon?
zingkov won't be able to play right now though..

ALEX_CCL
30-11-2005, 04:07 PM
i'm interested. anyway, yahoo lags sometimes

ALEX CHIA
012-2715692

Vchin
07-12-2005, 08:43 PM
i would like 2 join as well..pm da time..kk.. :lol:

taufiq
08-02-2006, 02:18 PM
We haven't done anything regarding this matter.
Thanks again PJKru for such a good idea.

What time do you guys think is good for us to play a game?
We have a lot of time zones since our members are all over the world..

12:00-1:00 am(midnight) Eastern time US might work for me. It's 1:00-2:00 pm in Malaysia. 2:00-3:00 pm in Japan. 4:00-5:00pm in Australia. However, it's 5:00-6:00 am in the UK - which is quite early. (Correct me if i'm wrong)

Maybe we can have 2 different sessions.

Any other suggestions?

taufiq
10-02-2006, 04:58 AM
Does anyone here has the All-Star membership for Yahoo Games?
We can play in a special Recom room in Yahoo Chess if any of you have the membership.

deRame
11-02-2006, 04:16 AM
i'm not a Yahoo! All-Star member. the fee is quite expensive. 8O
btw, i think the idea is good. so i need to register a new yahoo account and then register to become the all-star member for 14 days if i want to play in the tournament, right?

12:00-1:00 am(midnight) Eastern time US might work for me. It's 1:00-2:00 pm in Malaysia. 2:00-3:00 pm in Japan. 4:00-5:00pm in Australia. However, it's 5:00-6:00 am in the UK - which is quite early. (Correct me if i'm wrong)

since the time zone in my place is GMT +1 hour, the time will be 6:00-7:00 am here. quite ok with me. i'm already getting used to wake up at 4:00 am everyday (since i'm need to go to work at 5:00 am). so playing chess at 6:00 am on weekend is not a big deal for me. :wink:

taufiq
11-02-2006, 04:53 AM
Wow... you always wake up that early?!
Cooool...

Well i think we need an All-star member to setup the league only. He can invite anyone he want to join the league.. if i read correctly.

The fees is so expensive, so i don't recommend anyone to purchase it. Just in case there's anyone who is already a member. We can always play in any social lounge. The only thing is to set up the time and remind people (and ourselves) about it.

Anyone else would like to agree/disagree with the time?

deRame
12-02-2006, 12:56 AM
alternatively we can also play through YM....it'll be easier though

just invite everyone to the conference...

make the pairing or match up there...

everyone then play with their opponent in their own separate windows...and report the result to the conference...

the organizer manually record the standing and make the next pairing in the conference...

how about that?

btw, which type of tournament will be preferable? round-robin or swiss system?

taufiq
13-02-2006, 06:47 AM
Do you mean using the IMvironment (sor something like that) in the YM? I'm using Mac, thus I can't use the IMvironment thing. I think we'll use round robin. And btw I have another suggestion... what if we just list on players' name who want to play and pair them off... and then they have 3-4 days to play (or maybe a week). They can discuss and decide to play whenever they want - then report the result. People who finish early can play the next game with anyone who's available. How about that?

Should we use G/30 - 30 minutes for each player - time control for the tournament? Will that be enough?

deRame
15-02-2006, 02:38 AM
Do you mean using the IMvironment (sor something like that) in the YM? I'm using Mac, thus I can't use the IMvironment thing.

no. not the IMvironment. if u chatting in ur YM window with someone, u can play chess with him/her....there is a game button in YM windows--- simply by clicking -->
game > chess

or

action > play a game (wait 1 or 2 minutes for the loading) > chess.

btw, i'm not sure if Mac user can use the game function in YM. u should try it to see whether it's working or not. well, for those who can't use the game function, they have to play in any social lounge. i prefer playing in YM coz it's a lot simpler and easier.

i agree with ur suggestion. those who finish early should play with any available next opponent. it'll save time. IMO 30 mins for each player is OK....

mmm...one more important question..who is actually the organizer? it seems right now, only 2 persons joining in the discussion. btw, if needed, i can volunteer myself to be organizer. right now, i have a lot of free time since i have winter holiday till 14th march (the freetime is only at night and weekend actually....during day i have to go to work). well, i can plan a tournament in 2 days, open the registration for 2 weeks and organize (+record the result of) a tournament in the next 2 weeks (total time: 1 month)

taufiq
15-02-2006, 03:45 AM
Sounds cool DeRame!
You definitely will make a good organizer!

The question is who will be participating. Maybe we can try to send private message to people in this SIG.

Other people who showed interest:
1. alex_ccl
2. Byron
3. gonjeng
4. z_chen
5. khor_albert
6. PJKru (can be co-organizer) -it's his brilliant idea
7. chiunlin
8. _earth

i hope zingkov will be joining in as well if he has time over there. He'll show us some pretty trick of course...

Oh btw, I can't use YM for the game but i can use YahooGames for sure.

deRame
15-02-2006, 04:52 AM
btw, i don't plan to organize this tournament alone. i really need co-organizers to help me here. so, i'll include PJKru, zingkov and u, taufiq as co-organizer. i'll PM PJKru and zingkov to let them know. :wink:

i'm planning to create a thread to announce this tournament and i hope, a mod (i mean u, taufiq...hehe) will make that thread sticky and put it on the recom frontpage, so that all Recommers (and not only this SiG members) know about this tournament.

btw, i already finished drafting the rules of the tournament and i'll send it to u to revise and edit it before i create the announcement thread. :wink:

i'll pm those who were showing their interest after i post the announcement thread.

lawteoh
03-07-2007, 06:15 PM
the tournament still on? anyway, yahoo sucks to the max.. Most people cheat on the time control... haih.. why dun all of u go playchess and have tournament there.. by that way, its impossible to cheat on time (if caught, the rating will be deleted) and also softwares could not be used there.. (so, cheating is almost impossible.. lolx)