View Full Version : General Chess Discussion

taufiq
21-07-2005, 12:54 AM
We can talk about chess in general over here
and also about our SIG

Maybe we can add a forum for chess tips and current news/tournament later on

taufiq
21-07-2005, 12:55 AM
I'll start with asking your guys opinion..
do you want the solution to our chess puzzle (once it is solved) to be on top of the puzzle, or below it (like i did for the first one)
and are the colors okay? (red for solved, blue for the annotations)

taufiq
22-07-2005, 12:48 AM
Maybe one day a spam filter will beat a GM ?

http://dbacl.sourceforge.net/spam_chess-1.html

taufiq
22-07-2005, 02:07 AM
zingkov won his game 6.
Congrates!
Another amazing Benko Gambit?
I can't wait for the pgn

http://194.109.162.96/act/

gonjeng
22-07-2005, 03:28 AM
hey taufiq... what is zingkov's real name man??? :)

taufiq
22-07-2005, 03:39 AM
Wong Zi Jing MAS 2330

zingkov
22-07-2005, 04:03 AM
ah la Taufiq, u made me embarrassed man...

this is 1 of the worst tournament in my chess career...and even though today i won, i should have lost..i had a bad opening play but this time itz my opponent who made terrible moves under the strain of the time trouble. i managed to turn the table then...

no, not benko gambit, itz 1.c4 Nf6, 2.Nc3 c5, 3. Nf3 Nc6, 4.d4 cxd4, 5.Nxd4 e6...a variation in english opening (i dont know the exact name, sorry)..this is a great line, coz a lot of chess players got not much knowledge about it..n it leads towards a mad & double-edged position, which i like!

zingkov
22-07-2005, 04:21 AM
Taufiq, the reason why i call u to observe Susanto's games is becoz of his rock-solid style of playing. He can hardly lose! Even rating 2600+ player (so-called Super GM) cant beat him. In fact, he drew with world top 10 (Micheal Adams) last year in Olympiad, Spain.

That's the criterion which malaysian players dont acquire. Malaysian players can be quite splendid in tactics, well-prepared in opening (Susanto didnt even prepare his game, he just came and play..while most players nowadays use lap-top, i.e. Chessbase & Fritz to make thorough preparations), some maybe good in strategic understanding...but the big prolem is: we are not solid!

not even Mas i think...thus itz good to learn from Susanto..the wonder kid from Indonesia..

taufiq
22-07-2005, 04:38 AM
It's Symmetrical, English (A33) famous in 70's-80's
Usually white stands a better chance in this kind of opening..

Yeah zingkov.. I've watched all of Susanto's game and he's really good.. Akopian played very well today.. Sokolov as well

There's a game or two i like from yesterday.. i forgot which one..

deRame
22-07-2005, 10:25 PM
zingkov, which tournament do you participate now? where can i find the game annotations of the tournament?

taufiq
22-07-2005, 11:13 PM
It's the 2nd Amsterdam Open

You can find the PGN files over here http://194.109.162.96/act/

There are also live games on the ICC (not all) and on the website as well.. but i like ICC better..

zingkov
23-07-2005, 05:25 AM
It's Symmetrical, English (A33) famous in 70's-80's
Usually white stands a better chance in this kind of opening..

Yeah zingkov.. I've watched all of Susanto's game and he's really good.. Akopian played very well today.. Sokolov as well

There's a game or two i like from yesterday.. i forgot which one..

yes, i think that's the name. thx.

but if white doesnt play 4.d4, and play 4.g3 instead, i will reply with 4..d5, and turn it a the Maroczy Bind variation.

taufiq
24-07-2005, 02:09 PM
Tell us about it man.. the Maroczy Bind variation.. sounds cool..

btw, there's a 2-hours chess show on TV tomorrow (US)
Here's the link for web-tv as well http://www.martinbroadcasting.com/

Russian has won the game. http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chess.pl?tid=47300&crosstable=2

taufiq
24-07-2005, 02:19 PM
btw zingkov.. i don't quite understand your 38. ...Qf4 and why didn't white take the queen with its rook? or is there any mistake in the pgn file (game 8)?

Susanto played very well to win and his 25. ...Bd5 blocking the rook's way back to its King is beautiful..

for those who missed the game.. here's the pgn files http://194.109.162.96/act/Pgn/08ACT2005.pgn

Good luck in the last game man!

deRame
25-07-2005, 12:45 AM
i have a good idea. what if we create zingkov fan club? when someday zingkov becomes a GM, we will have the privilege to be the first getting his autograph. how about that? :D

zingkov
25-07-2005, 04:51 AM
btw zingkov.. i don't quite understand your 38. ...Qf4 and why didn't white take the queen with its rook? or is there any mistake in the pgn file (game 8)?

Susanto played very well to win and his 25. ...Bd5 blocking the rook's way back to its King is beautiful..

for those who missed the game.. here's the pgn files http://194.109.162.96/act/Pgn/08ACT2005.pgn

Good luck in the last game man!

it should be 38...Qf1 la...u cannot believe how bad is my handwritting...anyway that game was a very bad 1...i din expect my b4 pawn to be so disturbingly vulnerable throughout the whole game..

the tournament completed. A total disaster for me. only 3.5/9. i considered it my 2nd worst tournament in my entire chess career. shame on myself. disappointed everyone, sorry.

actually this would be my last international event before quitting temporarily for 2 years (due to my further study abroad, though not 100% sure yet, but most likely). Sort of like a goodbye kiss la. But i din expect the kiss to turn out so sour...:(

zingkov
25-07-2005, 04:58 AM
i have a good idea. what if we create zingkov fan club? when someday zingkov becomes a GM, we will have the privilege to be the first getting his autograph. how about that? :D

my friend, u must be joking.

zingkov sucks man...he might be somebody in Malaysia, but he is literally nobody in Europe. i think even Russian school kids can whack him easily.

GM? that's a term exclusively for professional players...not for amateurs like me la..anyway appreciate ur support.

deRame
26-07-2005, 03:06 AM
zingkov, don't be so down to earth and don't be demotivated by the tournament result. to me, you are still a great player.

by the way, if this tournament is going to be your last one before you quitting temporarily, doesn't it means you are planning not to compete in SEA games in Manila? i think it gonna be tough for malaysian squad to win the medals. i wonder, how are we going to beat the mighty indonesians, vietnameses and philipinos.

zingkov
26-07-2005, 04:20 PM
deRame, i wonder, do i know u? mind reveal ur name?

ya, most likely i cant play in the SEA Games this year, coz that should clash with my final exam (if i further my Master abroad).

i agree. itz really hard for us to win any medal this time. i personally don't believe we can even maintain our bronze medals 2 years ago. not to mention going for silver or gold medal.

but the interesting part about SEA Games 2005 is the inclusion of the Blitz event! Malaysia have a few superb blitz players (who play internet chess almost everyday, n got rating around 3000+ in ICC).
The of the most reliable players to name here are Nicholas Chan & Jonathan Chuah...they might create the surprise, who knows?

but i am afraid Nicholas Chan cannot play, he is in India now (if i m not mistaken, doing his medicine study)...

deRame
29-07-2005, 06:25 AM
deRame, i wonder, do i know u? mind reveal ur name?

my real name is abdur-rahman. but i really don't think that you know me... :lol:

we never meet laa

zingkov
29-07-2005, 02:27 PM
ya, i dont think we meet each other before.

but u seemed to know very well about the chess scene in our SEA region...yes, Indonesia (5 GMs), Philippines (3 GMs) & Vietnam (3 GMs) are the 3 strongest nations in this zone. In fact, if u compare the rating of the top 5 players in each country, we are seated only at number 7th, behind the above 3, and also Singapore, Myanmar and Brunei (Brunei just overtook us this month).

though we were the underdog, but we always managed to beat Singapore, Myanmar and Brunei. 2 years ago, in the rapid event (25 minutes+10 seconds), we even beat Indonesia. Thanks to Nicholas Chan who beat GM Utut (almost 2600), Jonathan Chuah who beat IM Susanto and Lim Chuin Hoong (top student in Penang free school) who beat IM Liu Dede. that's how our 1st bronze medal came. sweet memory...

zingkov
29-07-2005, 03:21 PM
Tell us about it man.. the Maroczy Bind variation.. sounds cool..

(If i m not mistaken), a Maroczy Bind position is reached when one of the side has a superb dominance in the center, with e4 and c4 pawns (for white), or e5 and c5 pawns (for black). and some other details, hard to describe here. the good thing about this variation is the space advantage & the center grip, while the other side's will usually have a quiet pawn sturcture without any weakness. this type of opening often leads towards positional play & pieces maneuver ability, rather than tactical blast.

in Malaysia, Nicholas & Marcus Chan like to play the Sicilian Accelerated Dragon which will possibly come to this sort of set up, where they like to play the passive side of the Maroczy Bind Variation.

examples:
1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 g6 5.c4 Bg7 6.Be3 Nf6
7.Nc3 0-0 8.f3 d6 9.Be2 Bd7 10.0-0 Rc8 ....white has the center control

or perhaps:
1.c4 c5 2.Nc3 Nf6 3.g3 d5 4.cxd5 Nxd5 5.Bg2 Nc7 6.Nf3 Nc6
7.0-0 e5 8.d3 Be7 9. Nd2 Bd7 10.Nc4 f6...black has the center control

taufiq
29-07-2005, 06:52 PM
Thanks zingkov!

Here are the diagrams (and pgn files) in case you guys would like to take a look at them.

Example 1
1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 g6 5.c4 Bg7 6.Be3 Nf6
7.Nc3 0-0 8.f3 d6 9.Be2 Bd7 10.0-0 Rc8 ....white has the center control
http://home.case.edu/~txh62/chess/ex1.jpg
http://home.case.edu/~txh62/chess/ex1.pgn

Example 2
1.c4 c5 2.Nc3 Nf6 3.g3 d5 4.cxd5 Nxd5 5.Bg2 Nc7 6.Nf3 Nc6
7.0-0 e5 8.d3 Be7 9. Nd2 Bd7 10.Nc4 f6...black has the center control
http://home.case.edu/~txh62/chess/ex2.jpg
http://home.case.edu/~txh62/chess/ex2.pgn

p/s: zingkov, why 5...Nc7? (example 2)

deRame
29-07-2005, 11:30 PM
i do sometimes play English opening but never heard of Maroczy Bind variation. thanx a lot zingkov for sharing such a great variation with us.

speaking about chess scene in SEA region, what is your opinion about myanmar chess players? are they really overrated? are their ratings really reflect their true strength? i think you did play with them or at least ever saw their performance in tournaments. so tell us,zingkov what do you really think about them personally.

taufiq
01-08-2005, 04:01 PM
There are a few photos of Zingkov in Gilachess.. and his games from Amsterdam as well.... :D

zingkov
02-09-2005, 04:26 PM
i do sometimes play English opening but never heard of Maroczy Bind variation. thanx a lot zingkov for sharing such a great variation with us.

speaking about chess scene in SEA region, what is your opinion about myanmar chess players? are they really overrated? are their ratings really reflect their true strength? i think you did play with them or at least ever saw their performance in tournaments. so tell us,zingkov what do you really think about them personally.

well, i have a lot of chess friends from Myanmar...they are really kind people...treated me good when i was in Yangon.

but, regarding their chess strength, itz a different story. without doubt, they are all overrated. their strength are somewhere from 2200-2400, not more than that..perhaps except Zaw Win Lay, Wynn Zaw Htun and Aung Aung...but somehow in their country they have all kind of strange tournaments which helped increase their ratings to a great extent..this same situation now begins to happen also in Brunei..

to be frank, i like to play with Myanmar players...coz they are not that strong but they possessed high rating...many malaysian players share the same feeling like me too...

i remember few years ago, the whole world are showing their fuss over this matter...but nothing could be done to stop this circumstance...as everything goes along with the FIDE rule, the only thing to be blamed is the incompleteness (or rather imperfection) of the FIDE rule itself.

but anyway, from my experience, their calculation & tactics are good man...

zingkov
17-10-2005, 07:37 PM
for those who wish to know: the SEA Games squad (chess, category B, federations have to find money themselves) for Manila 2005 is out.

this year GM Ian Rogers from Australia will help to coach us starting from 10th Nov till the end of the event.

SEA Games: 27th Nov - 5th Dec.

__earth
03-12-2005, 07:22 PM
what does Quarter Allegro mean? does it mean fast chess?

taufiq
07-02-2006, 04:22 AM
Congrats to Malaysian Sea Games' coach, Ian Rogers who won the Australian Championship recently.

zingkov
10-02-2006, 01:31 AM
Congrats to Malaysian Sea Games' coach, Ian Rogers who won the Australian Championship recently.

yeah! Rogers is truly the best coach i have seen so far. everyone can see his diligence and patience. And itz no joke that we all feel that he is just like a malaysian! throughout both the training (Bukit Jalil) and the tournament (Philippines), we eat together, stay together, prepare together, exercise together (he is a great pingpong player!), post-mortem together, joke together (one can never believe how good a joker he is), watch football together....sweet memory!

if there is any chance malaysia needs a national coach in future, he will 99% be chosen again. i can assure u this.

taufiq
10-02-2006, 01:41 AM
He had just finished 2nd in the NZ open.
I have looked at his games and they are really.. i mean really exciting to watch (and analyze).
So lucky for you to have known and had a coach like him zingkov!
I envy...

How are doing over there pal?

zingkov
10-02-2006, 02:22 AM
He had just finished 2nd in the NZ open.
I have looked at his games and they are really.. i mean really exciting to watch (and analyze).
So lucky for you to have known and had a coach like him zingkov!
I envy...

How are doing over there pal?

actually i just arrived in Korea today. i will be there for the next 2 years. everything should be fine here!

the only thing is i gotto quit chess for such a long period...well, no choice..very little people play international chess here. they mostly play Go or Chinese Chess. otherswise might be able to earn some extra money through tournament or personal coaching...sayang...wasted =P

hope u & others (chess SIG members) are fine too!

taufiq
10-02-2006, 04:24 AM
Yeah i heard....
You should play more internet chess then, and be like Nakamura.. the greatest internet chess player of our time (chessbase said this)
Let's figure out how can we make Recom Yahoo Chess Tournament a reality when you have settled down over there.

Btw, you can also play Go man.. I really want to learn it.
(because of Hikaru No Go maybe)
it's fun too...

deRame
11-02-2006, 04:41 AM
zingkov, do u right now study in korea? wow, u're lucky. there should be a lot of pretty girls out there in korea! :D

btw, i think Go is also an interesting game...the rules are quite simple, but the tactics need years to learn...

zingkov
11-02-2006, 12:26 PM
ya, i am studying the master course in aerospace engineering here. but, beware of the trick of korean dramas, the girls are generally not that pretty as shown in those series...hehe..

few months ago, Lim Chuin Hoong from UM (also a national player) taught me how to play Go. and he said that it was much much difficult/complicated than chess. and after playing a game or two with him, i agreed fully with what he said.

and from what i know, japanese invented the game, then it spreaded to china mainland and became the most popular board game there (the most expensive (high professional salary/prize money) league compare to chinese chess or international chess), and finally came to korea and currently korea is the world champion. (plz enlighten me if i am wrong)

however, the most popular game in korea is still the beyond doubt computer games! haha. (just imagine, there are various TV channels showing the exact game picture of Counter Strike, Starcraft etc everyday!)

kid
21-04-2009, 12:23 AM
a very old thread, sory to bring it out, i really love chess game, but never have a coach to guide me, can anyone telll me how to improve my game? and how can i be up2date wit open chess tournament around KL?

hrixenz
21-04-2009, 12:39 AM
check blog.gilachess.com for chess news..

anyway, i started playing chess since i was 7 yo..:)

anas

kid
21-04-2009, 12:41 AM
ur anas? really?

hrixenz
21-04-2009, 02:06 AM
yes..do u know me?:P whats ur name?

kid
21-04-2009, 02:20 AM
great!! anas from mozac rite? well, i think its imposible for u to remember me, but i played agaisnt u 2 years ago, MSS melaka at SK tg. minyak, n u play very good, both u n ur sister.. hope i can be like u one day lol :D

markwongsk
21-04-2009, 03:56 AM
I also have no coach... My chess intuition sucks, need people to started pointing out how to think...

yanno_yamster
21-04-2009, 03:58 PM
It's all psychology, the more you play, the better you can read the opponents' mind which I am still very poor at... The last time I played chess was last year (oh my, that's long) at the district level competition (Informed only about a week before competition, practiced twice only, and so as predicted, I flopped...)

kid
21-04-2009, 09:00 PM
well, is there any fm, im or gm here? just curious, wat is d criteria dat are taken into considertion when a move is said as a best moves, not bad or even worst moved?

hrixenz
22-04-2009, 03:30 AM
great!! anas from mozac rite? well, i think its imposible for u to remember me, but i played agaisnt u 2 years ago, MSS melaka at SK tg. minyak, n u play very good, both u n ur sister.. hope i can be like u one day lol

lol..u must be joking bro..i play just like an average player only

well, is there any fm, im or gm here? just curious, wat is d criteria dat are taken into considertion when a move is said as a best moves, not bad or even worst moved?

if u check the previous posts..zingkov is an IM..hes also a friend of mine..now hes in cambridge..

best move is made when u play correct,winning move and bring an advantage/upper hand in ur game..u must think before u move..there was one legend of chess said ' when u see a good move, wait - look for a better one... - emanuel lasker..
mostly a good move will be indicated with '!',an excellent move '!!', '?' a mistake, '??' a blunder, '!?' an interesting move that may not be best or '?!' a dubious move, but not easily refuted..

bad moves refer to a mistake or a blunder. bad move will make u lose advantage,tempo, pieces and eventually the game....

kid
22-04-2009, 03:58 AM
yeah, average, dat make me much more below average lol,

best move sure are winning move and bring an advantage, but i never know which one is it, sumtimes moving a pawn a step ahead can be considered d best move i certain situation, juz bcoz it will giv us advantage in d next 3 or 4 step, but i cant even foresee d next 2 step.. any guide?

hrixenz
24-04-2009, 03:06 PM
yeah, average, dat make me much more below average lol,

best move sure are winning move and bring an advantage, but i never know which one is it, sumtimes moving a pawn a step ahead can be considered d best move i certain situation, juz bcoz it will giv us advantage in d next 3 or 4 step, but i cant even foresee d next 2 step.. any guide?

to make a best move..u must be able to visualize and calculate many variations that will lead to a complicated position. some masters can calculate 10 steps ahead or even more(!).. it depends on how easy the variation or the pattern.
imo to make the best move in chess..one must train very hard,memorize the pattern of combinations, and practice the chess tactics.
u can train the chess tactics online. there are plenty of websites offer the chess tactics exercise.:)

markwongsk
24-04-2009, 09:24 PM
lol..u must be joking bro..i play just like an average player only

if u check the previous posts..zingkov is an IM..hes also a friend of mine..now hes in cambridge..

best move is made when u play correct,winning move and bring an advantage/upper hand in ur game..u must think before u move..there was one legend of chess said ' when u see a good move, wait - look for a better one... - emanuel lasker..
mostly a good move will be indicated with '!',an excellent move '!!', '?' a mistake, '??' a blunder, '!?' an interesting move that may not be best or '?!' a dubious move, but not easily refuted..

bad moves refer to a mistake or a blunder. bad move will make u lose advantage,tempo, pieces and eventually the game....

Wasn't that said by Dr Tarrasch???

!! <-- normally moves mortals like us can't find =)
! <-- moves mortals like us play randomly (1 in 100)
? <-- half of my games :P
?? <-- When your clock left 10 seconds :laugh
?! <-- waiting for opponent to go bad
!? <-- Can make into simple bishop knight endgame but you don't want :notrust

hrixenz
24-04-2009, 10:15 PM
Wasn't that said by Dr Tarrasch???

no it was lasker's

?? <-- When your clock left 10 seconds :laugh

haha very true :nuts