PDA

View Full Version : Current Chess News/Tournaments

taufiq
31-07-2005, 03:35 AM
The Europian Chess Team Championship has started!!

here is the website
http://www.goteborgchess2005.se/index.htm

Karjakin lost in the first game, as he always do recently
Only 2 team had drawn and only one team, Sweden, won 4-0

taufiq
01-08-2005, 04:08 PM
Netherland beat Ukraine and Arzebaijan held Russia for a draw!
I like this tournament :)

zingkov
02-08-2005, 09:17 PM
very interesting indeed..

giant Russia lost!
what happen to Hungary?
France was doing great!

lots of excitement...

let's predict the top 3 finishers...

i say 1st will be Armenia, 2nd France, 3rd Russia...

taufiq
09-08-2005, 09:02 AM
Holland won! yeay!!
What has happened to Russia on 14th?

zingkov
09-08-2005, 05:07 PM
yeah, really cant believe Russia ended up like that...

last game both Bareev and Timofeev lost to 2500+ opponents...what a huge shock! but actually looking from the other side, itz a good phenomena...coz it indirectly means that other countries are closing the gap with Russia...the no longer Big Brother today..

Holland won...madness...

seems like my prediction is rather far from the truth...bad guess...bad guess..

taufiq
10-08-2005, 07:08 AM
I was hoping that Holland and France will do well but never expected them to win.. I thought Israel would win the tournament..
I agree with you Zingkov, this tournament proved that other nations were closing the gap with the used-to-be-mighty Russia. They mustn't be overconfident.

zingkov
02-09-2005, 06:00 PM
hey, to all chess lover:

there has been a series of international chess events going on in MidValley, Malaysia since 20th August till 9th Sept 2005..

1. 2nd Arthur Tan Chess Championship
2. Merdeka Chess Championship
3. Zonal 3.2 Chess Championship

the 1st and 2nd events are finished already...sorry to inform so late...i am really busy recently....but itz still not too late to catch some action in KL for the coming week.

enjoy~

taufiq
10-09-2005, 11:42 PM
hey guys.. i'm back
I read about the tournaments report in Chessbase
Pretty grand huh!
Wang Hao did really great

http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=2616

i couldn't watch the tournament since i'm on my way back to the states at that time. did you go zingkov?

zingkov
13-09-2005, 05:45 PM
i went for 1 day only...coz i am based at Johor...

now the entire malaysian chess festival is over...our representative in this region (zonal 3.3) for World Championship is no other than GM Utut Adianto from Indonesia and GM Mark Paragua from the Philippines. It would be much more interesting if Susanto participate. Lots of my indonesian friends are telling me that nowadays Susanto is even stronger than his comrade, the 2003 SEA Games Gold medalist GM Utut. wasted...sayang...Susanto is in Europe, playing 5 tournaments in a row starting from the very early Amsterdam Open...

so, what other tournament do we have currently? any idea anyone? chinese chess tournament perhaps?

chiunlin
13-09-2005, 09:19 PM
There should be a merdeka chinese chess tournament around this time(usually during the September school holidays), but I haven't really been keeping in touch with my chinese chess friends back home, so I'm not sure about the venue and time.

And from what I know, since 2,3 years ago, the Malaysian Chinese Chess Association started to record all games played on the national level on the computer and they maintain a database somewhere, not quite sure whether it's online though.

zingkov
21-09-2005, 01:11 PM
chiunlin, who is the current national chinese chess champion?

Are there any newcomers to challenge those well-established players like Wang Yun Xing, Chen Jie Yi, Lee Jia Qing, Lu Jian Chu...? my knowledge about chinese chess players is still stuck at 10 years ago...please enlighten me..thx!

chiunlin
22-09-2005, 04:57 AM
Erm, before I left, Guo Xian Feng and his twin brother were the newly emerging force in the local Chinese Chess arena. I think Xian Feng(< 30 years old) has represented Malaysia in an international event(which means he has at least won one national level tournament). And right before I left, I participated in the U-30 national-level championship, and there was this guy(forgotten his name) who just came back from studying in Canada and managed to beat Xian Feng to emerge champion. Even before that, he was widely regarded by the state coaches as the best newcomer to emerge in years. I'll keep you update if I get to attend any national-level tournament at the end of this year(provided I get the ticket to fly back home)

taufiq
28-09-2005, 08:56 AM
The World Championship is just around the corner!!
Who do you think will win?

zingkov
17-10-2005, 07:21 PM
Erm, before I left, Guo Xian Feng and his twin brother were the newly emerging force in the local Chinese Chess arena. I think Xian Feng(< 30 years old) has represented Malaysia in an international event(which means he has at least won one national level tournament). And right before I left, I participated in the U-30 national-level championship, and there was this guy(forgotten his name) who just came back from studying in Canada and managed to beat Xian Feng to emerge champion. Even before that, he was widely regarded by the state coaches as the best newcomer to emerge in years. I'll keep you update if I get to attend any national-level tournament at the end of this year(provided I get the ticket to fly back home)

interesting..

btw, where is the talented (10 years ago) Zhou Zhi Rong from Johor? any idea?

zingkov
17-10-2005, 07:29 PM
the Asian Chess Championship in Hyderbad, India has just concluded.

GM Zhang Zhong emerged champion. and a whole bunch of chinese literally dominated the tournament, including GM Li Shilong, GM Wang Yue, GM Wang Hao, GM Ni Hua, GM Zhao Jun etc...and they are all young kids (or rather teenagers)! Indian players all sinked in this prestigious event.

the best southeast asian players are GM Dao Thean Hai from Vietnam and GM Megaranto Susanto from Indonesia.

Malaysian FM Lim Yee Weng did participated in the event and finished with 3 points out of 9 games.

taufiq
29-11-2005, 10:45 AM
Good luck in SEA Games zingkov!

zingkov
30-11-2005, 10:46 PM
thanks Taufiq.

lots of stress here man...

taufiq
01-12-2005, 04:12 PM
u sill have time to visit Recom from there eh zingkov?
Have you played any game?
How's our players' mental & strategy preparations compared to players from other countries?

zingkov
01-12-2005, 10:22 PM
rapid and blitz events are finished. malaysian team got no medal yet. anyway, Nicholas Chan was very close in getting a bronze medal in the blitz event. our rapid team also missed the chance to qualify by a bit only. losing to both Vietnam and Philippines in the group matches by 1.5-2.5. they (VIE & PHI) eventually became 1st and 2nd.

for the standard chess (which i played, now), 3 rounds are completed. i had 2 points.

round 1 - played with IM Mas (Malaysia) - won
round 2 - played with IM Jason Goh (Singapore) - draw
round 3 - played with GM Antonio Regelio (Philippines) - draw
round 4 - (play tomorrow) - but draw (sure) with FM Lim Yee Weng (Malaysia)

we played very well. i, Yee Weng & Nicholas Chan all got 2 points. the leaders only got 2.5 points. Mok Tze Meng got 1.5 points and Mas got 1 point. i think currently we are ranked third in the overall team standing, behind Philippines & Singapore. still stand a good chance to strike for medals, even though we are just the last seed.

will tell more if got time. but basically the schedule is packed. luckily the cc is just beside the hotel.

we have been trainig hard for few weeks before coming here. under our coach GM Ian Rogers from Australia. everyday we have to prepare like hell too, apart from concentrating in our game. big stress...we (standard chess team) are eager in bringing back medals even though we are seeded far behind.

btw, just to let u all know, 2 years ago, we missed the silver medal by merely half a point!! (even though we are seeded no.6 and we are the only country that got no GM at all!!)

taufiq
05-12-2005, 03:38 PM
Great news!!!
zingkov scored 5 points now and he has earned another IM norm...
which means you are going to have an IM title very soon right zingkov! (after you reach 2400 maybe)
Congrats man!!

p/s: sorry you guys missed the bronze medal to Indon. Unlucky i guess

zingkov
05-12-2005, 05:21 PM
hoo...so tiring and busy these few days...day and night playing and preparing...sometimes had to go until midnight...

finally itz over. ya, we are all very disappointed by the final result. we had been 3rd for most of the time...it literally felt like a deep stab when susanto managed to save his losing game in the last round and thus unexpectedly overtook us by merely 2 overall team standings...itz hard for me to explain how close it was...ok, like this: if any of Mas's opponent got half a point more, we would have obtained the bronze medal.

history repeated again...aaii...i can assure u all that we had put in our very very very best effort to contribute to the overall medal tally, but somehow we just missed it again..

i heard that 2 years later there will be no chess event in the 24th SEA games in Thailand. sad man...blew our best chance away again..in fact, Nicholas Chan nearly won an individual bronze medal, he actually had a winning position against GM Antonio Regelio.

for more details about the tournament (standard chess event), plz go

http://www.vietnamchess.com/SEAgames23/standard.htm

anyway, thx for ur greeting, taufiq.

taufiq
05-12-2005, 06:33 PM
That wonder boy Truong Son is really remarkable...
Don't forget to share your reviewed games or at least post a pgn file of your game for us if you have any.

and btw, i don't like the color of the board used in the SEA Games... doesn't match the pieces at all..

taufiq
17-12-2005, 05:45 AM
Are you guys following the Khanty-Mansiysk?
Carlsen game yesterday was so wonderful and the way Kamsky beat him back today was definitely awesome as well.
And Pono... wheww.. I don't now what to say.. I thought he's gonna lose before. Where did he learn such an endgame trick?

taufiq
19-02-2006, 01:28 PM
Sorry Topa... Berlin Endgame didn't work this time...
Although Topa/Toppy had beaten Polgar and Kasimdzhanov in St Louis using this opening, Svidler seems to be well prepared to face it this time.
It was a very interesting game!

taufiq
21-02-2006, 11:26 AM
Topa drew Aronian...
A crazily genious piece of ending
He might emerge to his best after today'a game...

deRame
22-02-2006, 03:48 AM
Topa drew Aronian...
A crazily genious piece of ending
He might emerge to his best after today'a game...

i saw the game....aronian exchange his rook for minor pieces that in the end gave him better edge in endgame....amazing

too bad it's a draw.

taufiq
23-02-2006, 11:02 AM
Poor Topa...
I thought he was going to be better...
Maybe he's still tired or has he lost his sharpness?

taufiq
24-02-2006, 01:52 PM
I like Radjabov-Vallejo 's game from today.
Aronian is clearly playing for draw until Svidler blundered with Be8?
Although I agree that e6!! is very beautiful. I wonder if I can find that move myself.
Ivanchuk's opening is quite ambiguous for me. I can't see his plan when he 'doubled' his rook and queen on the closed d-column. Topalov's Nxe3 and Rc1 are just marvelous.

taufiq
28-02-2006, 10:18 AM
Does anyone know whether Aronian is lefty or not?
I saw him moving pieces using his left hand but writing the moves with his right hand. Furthermore, the clock is on his right when he plays black.
I wonder if there's any chess lagend who use both hands in chess matches before.

--------
don't forget to register for Recom Chess Tournament next week...
we need more people

taufiq
31-03-2006, 04:47 AM
News from Malaysian Chess

Do you know the new No. 1 chess player in Malaysia?
His new rating is 2421 (No.2 is IM Mas with 2412)
and he just got himself an IM title...
I wonder who he is....

... and congrats from Recom to him!!

:D

deRame
08-04-2006, 01:03 AM
News from Malaysian Chess

Do you know the new No. 1 chess player in Malaysia?
His new rating is 2421 (No.2 is IM Mas with 2412)
and he just got himself an IM title...
I wonder who he is....

... and congrats from Recom to him!!

:D

do u mean zingkov?

i thought his rating was around 2300++

if it's really him, that means he improves by 100+ points

whooaaa!!! 8O 8O 8O

congrats man!

deRame
08-04-2006, 01:14 AM
zingkov,

do u have any plan to buy ur fans any lunch or dinner to celebrate ur great rating improvement?

hehehe :P

taufiq
08-04-2006, 04:26 AM
I second deRame!!!!
I'm a zingkov's fanatic fan right now..

taufiq
06-08-2006, 03:27 PM
Did anyone followed Biel and Dortmund?
Well of course Dortmund still have another game to spare but since I will not be able to watch it today, I consider it finished.

It was a great performance by everyone in Biel - especially Moro and Carlsen. Radjabov did fairly great as well but might have received less media attention because of the other 2 names i've mentioned before.

Dortmund is another story.
A very different tournament and a very different set of players. Most people might consider Dortmund as too boring but i think it is mainly because most of the players play theoretical. That's why we have seen the two Gelfand's game that have ended only after 7 or more hours.
Seriously instructive endgames have been displayed.

I like Biel much more because of the wild and combative styles of each player. Dortmund, on the other hand, has it's own specialty. Just look at how fast Kramnik punished Jobava for his blunder yesterday.