PDA

View Full Version : ReCom Chess Tournament : Rules and Registration.

deRame
17-02-2006, 12:53 AM
finally the long-awaited event comes! ReCom Chess Tournament will start on 4th March 2006 and will be organized by taufiq, zingkov, PJKru and me. Come and join the fun!

ReCom Chess Tournament (February/March 2006)

1. please write down ur yahoo id, ur timezone (GMT) and time of ur availability in THIS THREAD.
2. registration will be closed on 2nd march 2006 at 23:59 GMT.
3. there is no fee charged to participate in this tournament.
4. this tournament is opened for all fellow ReCommers.

Rules:

1. this tournament will be played in round-robin system.

2. the game will be played in YM. There is a game button in YM personal windows. Simply click game > chess > invite. Alternatively u can play with ur opponent in any yahoo! Social lounge (u must inform ur opponent first!). Click here to enter the yahoo social lounge: http://games.yahoo.com/games/login2?page=ch . in the social lounge, create new table and invite ur opponent. PM the organizers (PJKru, zingkov, taufiq and me) should there is any question.

3. after the deadline of registration, we?ll list all participants with their yahoo id and timezone. All player must add everyone from this list on their yahoo messenger. If the player is ready to play, he must put ?I?m ready for Recom Chess Tournament? tag on his status. If he is playing with his opponent, he must put ?I?m currently playing in Recom Chess Tournament? tag and put a busy status, so that, all players will know whether their opponents are available or not. *this is very important*

4. duration of this tournament is 2 weeks (from 4th march 2006 to 18th march 2006). All players must complete all their matches during this period. It?s recommended if all players complete as much as possible their matches on weekend during this 2-week-duration since most people are free on weekend.

5. players who failed to finish their games in this 2-weeks-duration will receive no point for their remaining matches. So, ReCommers who have other commitment (or extremely busy) shouldn?t participate in this tournament. Check ur schedule thoroughly (all players should have at least some free time at weekend) so that u won?t make ur life and more importantly other players difficult. Don?t worry, if u can?t participate in this tournament right now, there will be other tournaments organized in future.

6. colour of the chess pieces (white or black) will be decided by organizer. We will write it next to the players? name in the pairing list.

7. time control for each player is 30 minutes.

8. all players are not allowed to take back their move unless the opponent agrees to allow that.

9. the winners must report the result immediately after their matches to organizers by PM in ReCom.org (if draw, enough by 1 report from either one of players). We?ll update the record and the standings as soon as possible.

10. if any players finish their game early, they can play with their next available opponent from any round.

Scoring:

1 point awarded for a win.
0.5 points awarded for a draw.
0 point for a loss.

Prize:

Since there is no sponsor, there will be no prize for the winner. However, the winner will carry the title of ReCom Chess World Champion and his/her name (err..i mean his/her nickname) will be put on ReCom?s Chess Hall of Fame.

deRame
17-02-2006, 12:57 AM
yahoo id: rahman.zahari

timezone: GMT +1

availability: weekdays from 18:00 to 21:00 & weekend from 09:00 to 00:00

__earth
17-02-2006, 01:08 AM
id: hafiz_sw

GMT +8

taufiq
17-02-2006, 01:51 AM
id: zabbura2002

time: GMT -5 (Eastern)

taufiq
17-02-2006, 07:14 AM
should i make this sticky?

PJKru
17-02-2006, 03:04 PM
I have to withdraw from the tournament guys sorry

I seriously think two weeks is not enough time to play all the matches. should make it one or two months like the world cup. we've got study commitments remember?

deRame
17-02-2006, 08:25 PM
should i make this sticky?

mmm...yes. that would be nice. :wink:
it's better than me spamming the shoutbox everyday to tell everyone about this tournament :lol:

PJKru,

good to see a feedback from u. mmm...the period depends on the number of participants. if we get more participants (let say more than 8 ), the tournament duration will be extended. the reason i put 2 weeks in the rules is just because i feel that the number of players who are interested and have free time won't be more than 8. well, what i can say is this thing is not really decided yet. we have to wait and to see how many people put their name here. right now, we have 4 players already and that's quite good. we need more people. please spread the word so that we have more people joining the fun.

p/s: i already sent u several PM's, PJKru. it would be nice if u could PM me back, since i really need ur response.

chiunlin
18-02-2006, 02:00 AM
Finally, the recom chess tournament has materialized. I would love to join, but the period is right before my spring break, and I have a few prelims and an ECE/CS project due at that time, so thanks for the invitation, but I'm sorry I can't participate.

taufiq
20-02-2006, 11:44 AM
The registration is still open.
Come and join Recom 1st Chess Tournament!

deRame
22-02-2006, 03:22 AM
chiunlin, i understand ur situation. hope u can join the next tournament. :wink:

mmm...no one more put their name here? looks like i need a new way to promote this tournament. any idea?

btw, i have an idea regarding this tournament. how about if everyone save all their games from this tournament and afterwards post it here in this SiG so that others can analyze the games. IMO through this way, we will benefit from this tournament a lot and a good way to improve our game. so what do u guys think?

chesspad can read chess algebra (yahoo format) and can convert it to the normal PGN format. can download it here (http://www.wmlsoftware.com/chesspad.html).

taufiq
22-02-2006, 12:50 PM
cool! sadly it won't work on mac..
i have found a few pgn viewer although i haven't try any of them

Btw, come and join the tournament people!
There's nothing to lose

taufiq
23-02-2006, 12:55 AM
How many people is there so far?
Only 4 or 5?

zingkov
23-02-2006, 05:45 PM
chiunlin, i understand ur situation. hope u can join the next tournament. :wink:

mmm...no one more put their name here? looks like i need a new way to promote this tournament. any idea?

btw, i have an idea regarding this tournament. how about if everyone save all their games from this tournament and afterwards post it here in this SiG so that others can analyze the games. IMO through this way, we will benefit from this tournament a lot and a good way to improve our game. so what do u guys think?

chesspad can read chess algebra (yahoo format) and can convert it to the normal PGN format. can download it here (http://www.wmlsoftware.com/chesspad.html).

that's a truly magnificient idea! i always believe that playing more games will not help improving one's skill much..but together with the analysis (postmortem) after the game, then it could enhance the understanding to a great extent. i must say i just love this idea!

taufiq
24-02-2006, 01:44 PM
I have a few games on http://zabbura2002.blogspot.com.
I haven't installed a pgn viewer yet. Maybe when I have time.
Please leave some comments so that I can improve my game.

deRame
02-03-2006, 01:25 AM
How many people is there so far?
Only 4 or 5?

25% of all players pulled out from this tournament.

so left only 3 players (earth, you and me) :roll:

looks like the timing is not OK with most of Recommers.

however, i'm still going to organize it even if the participants are only 3 persons. :wink:

come on, guys. if u can't participate, u still can promote this tournament to others, rite? :D

p/s: i have seen ur website, taufiq. i'm going to review ur games this weekend and give some comments. :wink:

taufiq
02-03-2006, 05:28 AM
cool.. thanks!

i haven't posted some more games.
i was experimenting with a few pgn viewer but since my exams are around the corner, i don't have time to put them up.
I also haven't been playing for more than 2 weeks since i was practicing for a pingpong tournament on Sunday.

3 people is not that fun...
I thought more people will be able to join since i can see that there are a lot chess enthusiast in Recom. If there's anyone else who are still thinking about joining, plese do not hesitate to register.

We won't be playing at a spesific time for all games but rather on an agreement basis between 2 players. It can be during weekend, evening, early morning.. whenever suit you guys.

deRame
04-03-2006, 02:49 AM
well, till today this is the list of players

1. _earth
2. taufiq
3. deRame

looks like each player is going to have only 2 matches for over 2 weeks.

ok, guys buzz me this weekend if u guys see me online. due to some work that need to be done, i'm going to stay all day at home. however, i can spare 1 or 2 hours playing with u guys. :wink: