PDA

View Full Version : MSSD Chinese Chess

ab_initio
23-04-2007, 07:08 PM
There is MSSD Chess, MSSD Chinese Calligraphy but I was wondering whether there is such a thing as MSSD Chinese Chess..

One of my juniors is very good in Chinese Chess but there isn't any competition where he can pit his skills against good opponents. All we got is only school level competition which does not really expose one to greater and eye opening Chinese Chess games.

Is there anyone kind enough to enlighten me whether there is such a thing as MSSD or other Chinese Chess competitions? thanks..

chiunlin
24-04-2007, 10:44 PM
AFAIK, depends on which state which you're in. Annually, there are a few Chinese Chess competitions.

i) The one most relevant to you should be the one open to all secondary and primary school students. Winners get to represent the state.

ii) MCA also sponsors a Merdeka Chinese Chess tournament every year. It is an open event(i.e. open to all age groups) and the competition is held in every state and the top 3 winner get to represent the state to play in the national tournament.

iii) Various other competitions, mostly open event. The number of such competitions varies from state to state depending on funding, popularity, etc.

Btw, just curious, how good is your friend? If he's interested in playing a game, send me a private message.

ab_initio
24-04-2007, 11:06 PM
Thank you very much for the info Chiunlin.

erm, he is a form 5 student but he is about to beat all the sixth formers in my school's Chinese Chess competition to clinch the first place. He has one more game to go before he becomes the champion. Too bad he doesn't go online frequently, but should he comes online and is interested, i'll ask him to play a game with you.

chiunlin
26-04-2007, 01:54 AM
Let me add that for bigger states where Chinese Chess is more popular(Penang, Perak, Selangor, Johor, etc) it is not uncommon for there to be a district-level competition before a state-level one.

I come from Melaka so I have always participated in state-level competitions.

p/s: I might be able to give you more info if you tell me which state you're from.

ab_initio
02-05-2007, 07:36 PM
sorry for the late reply... :roll:

me from Klang, Selangor..

skyflyer1211
17-09-2009, 12:39 PM
chiulin may I know your real name?? I am from Melaka too and suppose I know you too as I participate in most competition too.. Real name jun lin

chiunlin
18-09-2009, 05:55 AM
chiulin may I know your real name?? I am from Melaka too and suppose I know you too as I participate in most competition too.. Real name jun lin
chiunlin is my real name doh... in Chinese it is 君霖.

Oh well, I haven't participated in competitions for quite a while since I started studying in the US 5 years ago.

The last time I participated was during dec 06/jan 07 (winter break and I was back home) I think. It was a state open championship(好友杯) and despite being awfully rusty (didn't get much chance to play in the US), I was placed 4th.

If you know ask any of the more established and older players, they'll know me. I have represented melaka state for like 10 times or more during my secondary school years(1998-2002).