PDA

View Full Version : Malaysian Student Leaders Summit 2008

bp_ffei
22-04-2008, 02:37 PM
Here's the info from Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=14710599545&ref=nf):

Event Info Name: The Second Malaysian Student Leaders Summit (MSLS 2008)
Tagline: The Leadership Tomorrow Begins Today
Host: The United Kingdom and Eire Council for Malaysian Students (UKEC)
Type: Meetings - Convention

Time and Place Start Time: Saturday, August 2, 2008 at 9:00am
End Time: Sunday, August 3, 2008 at 10:00pm
Street: Jalan Ampang
City/Town: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Contact Info Phone: 447948378042
Email: alia.ishak@<hidden> or alia.sidek@<hidden>

The Second Malaysian Student Leaders Summit or MSLS 2008 will once again bring together Malaysian students from universities across the world to participate in dialogue and discussions with prominent leaders in various
fields. Speakers from Government, Academia, Corporate Malaysia and Civil Society will address pressing issues pertaining to nation building.

The UKEC believes that events like MSLS 2008 are crucial for young and bright Malaysians from the world over to exchange views and raise awareness in the effort to contribute to Malaysia's human capital development.

Prospective speakers include:

Y.A.B. Dato? Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, Prime Minister of Malaysia

DYTM Raja Dr. Nazrin Shah Ibni Sultan Azlan Muhibuddin Shah, The Regent of Perak

Y.B. Dato? Seri Hishammuddin Tun Hussein, Education Minister of Malaysia

Tan Sri Dr. Zeti Akhtar Aziz, Governor, Central Bank of Malaysia

Ms. Ambiga Sreenevasan, President of the Malaysian BAR Council

Dato? Nazir Razak, CEO of CIMB Group

Dr Herman Shastri, General-Secretary of Council of Churches of Malaysia

Dr. Farish Ahmad-Noor, former Senior Fellow at the Institute for Islamic Studies, Freie University of Berlin

** For REGISTRATION and further information, please log on to http://www.msls08.com/

VERY IMPORTANT :

This event is FREE.
Despite being hosted in the Grand Ballroom of Nikko Hotel, places are allocated on a FIRST COME FIRST SERVED BASIS! The first 500 registrants will be guaranteed places. Based on the overwhelming response to the inaugural event last year, we strongly encourage you to register AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

This event is a great opportunity to meet major policy makers in Malaysia, to learn more about the social, religion, ecomomic etc situations and to meet the potential future leaders of Malaysia.

Some Recommers attended the event last year, and we were thanked as a partner for the event as well. Here's last year's thread: 1st MSLS (http://recom.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5057&highlight=MSLS)

Hope to see a lot more ReComers signing up. There were a lot of ReComers participating last year. It would definitely be a great learning experience for everyone. Imagine getting the chance to mingle with fellow Malaysians who studied in 150 universities over 18 countries. That was the statistics last year. And I can assure you that the quality of discussion would be top notch, in fact, much better than a lot of international conferences that I have attended.

Lets have more ReComers going. I have signed up too. Don't think twice. Sign up at MSLS08.com (http://www.msls08.com/index.php?option=reg). Please help to spread the words too!

On the speakers and itinerary, the website has more detailed ones already.
-----
Sessions & Itinerary

1) Keynote Address: Governance
?Transparency and Accountability in Governance ? Primary Concerns of Modern Malaysia??

? YAB Dato' Seri Abdullah Haji Ahmad Badawi, Prime Minister of Malaysia

2) Judiciary and Legal Forum:
?The Rule of Law: A Question of Restoring Faith in the System??

? YB Senator Dato? Zaid Ibrahim, Minister in the Prime Minister?s Department (Law and Judicial Reform)
? Professor Dr. Shad Saleem Faruqi, Professor of Law and Legal Advisor, Mara University of Technology (UiTM)
? Ms.Ambiga Sreenevasan, President of the Malaysian BAR Council

3) Race Relations Forum:
?2008 General Elections: Managing the Changing Dynamics of Race Relations in Malaysia?

? Karim Raslan, author, columnist, lawyer and founder of Karim Raslan Associates
? Khoo Kay Peng, journalist, political analyst, Executive Director of SEDAR Institute
? Dr. Denison Jayasooria, Executive Director of the Social Strategic Foundation

4) Ministerial Address: Education
?The National Education Blueprint: Addressing Racial Polarization and Sustainable Economic Development?

? YB Dato? Seri Hishamuddin Tun Hussein, Minister of Education

5) Opening Address: Malaysian Economy
?State of the Economy in the wake of Global Uncertainties?

? Tan Sri Dr. Zeti Akhtar Aziz, Governor, Central Bank of Malaysia

6) Industry and Economic Forum:
?Looking Out of the Window: The presence of Malaysian Corporate Giants on the global economic stage?

? Dato? Azman Mokhtar, MD of Khazanah Nasional
? Dato? Nazir Razak, CEO of CIMB Group
? Dato? Johan Raslan, Executive Chairman of PWC

7) Religious Diversity Forum
?Coping with Religious Diversity: The Challenge of Being Just to All Within the Context of Islam as the Official Religion?

? Dr. Mohd Asri bin Zainul Abidin, Perlis Mufti
? Datuk A. Vaithilingam, President of Malaysia Hindu Sangam
? Dr. Farish Ahmad-Noor, former Senior Fellow at the Institute for Islamic Studies, Freie University of Berlin
? Zainah Anwar, Executive Director of Sisters in Islam (SIS)

8) Royal Address
?Evolution of Malaysian Minds: Issues and Challenges towards a First World Mentality?

? HRH Raja Dr. Nazrin Shah Ibni Sultan Azlan Muhibuddin Shah, The Regent of Perak

9) Student forum:
?Student Activism: The Way Forward?

? Khairizul Rizzuan, Chairman, UKEC
? Shahril Hamdan, Director, Second MSLS
? Nithiyananthan Muthusamy, Director, Northeast (USA) Malaysia Forum

The event will also incorporate group discussions amongst participants with a view of yielding a Conference Resolution on the various topics discussed. The organisers will then work towards publicising the Resolution in our efforts to ensure that student voices are heard.

Note:The completed itinerary will be released once all details are finalised

Any ReComers sign up? Hope to see more ReComers going.

Last year, we easily have 50 ReComers went! We had a ReCom Gathering on the eve, as well as a photo taking too!

Organized by the United Kingdom and Eire Council for Malaysian Students (UKEC), the summit will be a platform for intellectual and scholastic discourse between prominent local leaders and Malaysian student leaders from around the world.

This year's prospective speakers include Y.A.B. Dato' Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, DYTM Raja Dr. Nazrin Shah, Y.B. Dato' Seri Hishamuddin Tun Hussein, YB Senator Zaid Ibrahim, Dr Farish Ahmad-Noor, Tan Sri Zeti Akhtar Aziz, Ambiga Sreenevasan, Prof. Dr. Shad Saleem Faruqi, Dato' Nazir Razak, Karim Raslan, Zainah Anwar etc, while issues discussed will include transparency and accountability in governance, the restoration of faith in the judicial system, race relations, the National Education Blueprint, religious diversity etc.

The Summit will be held at Nikko Hotel on the 2nd and 3rd of August 2008.

Admission is free.
Places are limited to the first 500 participants who register at www.msls08.com.
For pictures of last year's inaugural Malaysian Student Leaders Summit, please visit www.ukeconline.com.

Moved to youth and charity.

Sorry I've actually already started a thread on this. Maybe can merge it or something? Thanks... http://recom.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6519

chenchow
22-04-2008, 03:33 PM
Sorry that in my process of merging it, I accidentally used Merge Posts, instead of Merge Threads, and now all those posted by bp_ffei, gabrielle and myself are all lump together.

vseehua
23-04-2008, 05:57 AM
Sorry that in my process of merging it, I accidentally used Merge Posts, instead of Merge Threads, and now all those posted by bp_ffei, gabrielle and myself are all lump together.
if you can still differenciate them then just put them together as quotes in the main post...

seeweijie
05-05-2008, 09:37 PM
I am a SPM leaver... curently waiting for the scholarship... not studying in any university
So can i participate? since we need to fill in the university, course and graduation year...

Gemini
06-05-2008, 05:12 PM
I am a SPM leaver... curently waiting for the scholarship... not studying in any university
So can i participate? since we need to fill in the university, course and graduation year...

SPM leaves can apply for this. I've applied to go to MSLS 08 and I got an ID to attend conference. However, seats are limited. I doubt whether there r any seats available for those who are interested to join. Check through the website!

ame.zost
12-05-2008, 03:38 AM
SPM leaves can apply for this. I've applied to go to MSLS 08 and I got an ID to attend conference. However, seats are limited. I doubt whether there r any seats available for those who are interested to join. Check through the website!

gemini? did u applied for it?
i did, but later on they sent me email saying im in the waiting list...
i dun really get it what craps were they trying to tell me..

was it just because of late of applying?

or me? 18 yr ole who know-nothing-and-not-really-invited??

caramel_nut
12-05-2008, 06:39 AM
Well, I guess they have limited spots and when you registered, all spots have already been filled up. If someone pulls out and frees a spot, then MSLS will get someone from the waiting list to replace him/her.

Gemini
12-05-2008, 09:44 PM

I am not sure. When I applied, there's a system dealing with the email system. Then, I wrote to them through email. The person in charge immediately rectified the problem and I got an ID. So, u can try sending your enquiries through email. I think the person in charge will reply you.

ame.zost
26-07-2008, 05:21 PM
any updates regarding to this topic???

runninghorse
28-07-2008, 09:39 AM
Anyone from INTEC are going to attend this event?

Feel free to PM me so that we can go together as a representative team from INTEC... Haha :))

Smilehoe
28-07-2008, 11:56 AM

I don't think so, because I applied last year when I was 18+, and I did receive confirmation of seating from them. Perhaps it's due to the overwhelming response they are receiving.

So how's everybody else? I should be able to attend if everything goes smoothly.

awesomeming
28-07-2008, 04:54 PM
Hey guys,

Awesomeming here. I will be attending the msls this coming august but I will be coming from penang. Hence, I need accommodation to stay in KL for the course of the summit. Wonder if any recommers who stays around in KL would let me bum into their house for the night of one or two. Your help is greatly appreciated.

seeweijie
28-07-2008, 08:01 PM
I have received an email entitled new speaker list from them today.
My ID is 559.
What is your ID?
Last time i am informed that i am in the waiting list, so now i am confuse whether i am stil in the waiting list or has been guaranteed a place to attend the event.
Will they let us know whether there are places for us who are in the waiting list earlier before the event in this weekend?
It is really terrible if they din't let us know earlier and when we arrive there with the hope to attend the event, we are informed that there are no more places for those who are in the waiting list........have to go back.......

chenchow
28-07-2008, 11:23 PM
Do just show up! There should be place for you!

Do come to the BBQ too here (http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=61464080365). Thanks to Yang Jerng for providing his place!

seeweijie
29-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Actually, i am not sure whether i can attend MSLS2008 itself.
1. No transport. (got to travel all the way up to KL by bus, like last time scholarships' interview)
2. Haven get my parents approval(dunno will they allow me to go? i think should not be a problem here)
3. Dunno where is Nikko Hotel. (may be will search at google map later)
4. Wondering if i am guaranteed a place or not.

Hope that i can go la.. and BBQ with you all... Wish me luck..

Smilehoe
29-07-2008, 07:03 PM
I notice that there are considerably less recommers planning on attending compared to the previous year. I do hope to see most of you guys over there. Been on Recom for three years and so far I have only met a handful. Would be nice to complement the event with meeting those long 'virtual acquaintances'.

Personally, I'm interested in quite a number of the topics but the one awaited most is ?Subsidies: A Question of Necessity or ?Tongkat? Culture" by Khairy. Certainly, he's aware of the special attention he has among the youth, and thus, his responses to that impression should worth anticipation.

ame.zost
30-07-2008, 12:37 AM
so who's coming then?

seeweijie
30-07-2008, 03:01 AM
Anyone can tell me how can i go to Nikko Hotel from Puduraya Bus Station?
Then how can i get back to Pudu Raya Bus Station from Nikko Hotel?
KTM???? LRT????

To those not from KL... when will you reach KL? 2nd of august or a day earlier? May be we can share a cab...
If you were to reach there a day earlier where will you stay? I am afraid that melaka don have bus that travel that early on that day and i have to reach there a day earlier?

Do just show up! There should be place for you!

Do come to the BBQ too here (http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=61464080365). Thanks to Yang Jerng for providing his place!

Is transport from Nikko Hotel to The B's House provided? If it is provided then i can join the BBQ. I can pay for the transport. On the same time i also need accomodation for that night, joining the BBQ will solve the problem. (coz i can sleep at there or chat overnight)

Smilehoe
30-07-2008, 06:28 AM
You can take the LRT either from Pasar Seni or Masjid Jamek station, which is each about a five minute's walk from puduraya. Alight at KLCC (not KL Central). Be sure to check the direction in which you're heading. You should also expect crowds before and after office hours.

The route of the LRT
http://www.rapidkl.com.my/rapidkl_beta/route_rail_klj.gif

Should you arrive early, try arranging accommodation with relatives or friends. Try to avoid hotels near puduraya if you're alone.

caramel_nut
30-07-2008, 11:15 AM
You can take the LRT either from Pasar Seni or Masjid Jamek station, which is each about a five minute's walk from puduraya. Alight at KLCC (not KL Central). Be sure to check the direction in which you're heading. You should also expect crowds before and after office hours.

The route of the LRT
http://www.rapidkl.com.my/rapidkl_beta/route_rail_klj.gif

Should you arrive early, try arranging accommodation with relatives or friends. Try to avoid hotels near puduraya if you're alone.Hmm you might want to take the LRT to Ampang instead, it's the station right after KLCC. Nikko is right beside Ampang LRT station. Of course, if you want to alight at KLCC, you can walk over since it's not that far.

Smilehoe
30-07-2008, 02:32 PM
Thanks for that info. I had located Nikko through wikimaps and conveniently assumed that the nearest station was KLCC due to it's prominence. Saved me some walking. :)

seeweijie
30-07-2008, 05:23 PM
I have checked both google map and wikimap... Ampang Park Station 1 is the nearest LRT Station to Nikko Hotel, it is just located opposite Nikko Hotel, separated by Jalan Binjai...
So my plan will be Melaka Sentral >> Puduraya Bus Station >> Masjid Jamek LRT Station >> Ampang Park LRT Station 1 >> Nikko Hotel

I will arrive a day earlier but i dunno where to stay oo.. i dun have frens who live nearby KL.. anyone can help me? anyone here who live around KL can let me bump into his house for a night? or any suggestion of which hotel/hostel nearby can i stay(i just need a place to sleep and bath thats all)? i will be appreciate it...

misled_youth
02-08-2008, 05:18 PM
Chenchow totally made a fool of himself and left PM Abdullah flummoxed with a retarded question concerning the Maths and Physics Olympiad.

“Geek!” said a girl behind me at the time.

The graduate was given a once-in-a-lifetime chance an intelligent question to the outgoing PM but came out like a total nerd who pawned himself big time.

For the record, PM didn't give him an answer.

[Note to overzealous moderators: This is not a personal attack or a flame. Misled_youth is merely reporting an observation]

capablanca
02-08-2008, 09:40 PM
Malaysiakini wrote out an article about MSLS. But I can't read it since I don't have an account. For those who have it, here's the link. http://www.malaysiakini.com/news/87183

ngai
02-08-2008, 10:22 PM
Chenchow totally made a fool of himself and left PM Abdullah flummoxed with a retarded question concerning the Maths and Physics Olympiad.

?Geek!? said a girl behind me at the time.

The graduate was given a once-in-a-lifetime chance an intelligent question to the outgoing PM but came out like a total nerd who pawned himself big time.

[Note to overzealous moderators: This is not a personal attack or a flame. Misled_youth is merely reporting an observation]

He may be a geek, but at least he is one who is brave enough to voice out what matters to him alot.

For the record, the PM did answer him. He said that he also recognized the outstanding achievements of students in the academic field and that it was also very important.

Smilehoe
04-08-2008, 06:08 AM
In the midst of compiling materials to write about this msls08, I came to this blog by Andrew Loh and found that it provided quite a comprehensive detailing on several sessions. And I'd say he certainly writes better than me. And for those who missed the msls08, this blog of his would be a nice spot for getting some gist.

http://andrewlza.blogdrive.com/

Seiryu
04-08-2008, 12:20 PM
well undeniably it was a superb event. The MP forum was really the bomb. All three speakers were amazing. I think Khairy is more eloquent than Tony, but Tony speaks more sense than Khairy. Khairy gives me the feeling that government has plans but doesn't tell when they're going to executing the plans, gives me a feeling of all talk no action. (like the windfall taxes for example)..

Surprisingly some people in the event won't really talk to you unless you tell them you're from an overseas university.

Smilehoe
04-08-2008, 12:40 PM
I knew I'd somehow regret having to leave early thus missing the young MPs session. Nobody has posted on youtube yet :(

Anyway, the highlight of the first day should be the Q & A session for both the prime minister and the education minister. Questions were generally hard and I was actually impressed by how our education minister handled the questions. He took them with poise and confident without giving the audience the feeling that he was being defensive. However it wasn't the same case for our PM, his speech was unfortunately, rather uninspiring.

One thing I noticed is that although the turnout was very encouraging (with nearly a full house on the first day), but most of the participants are Malaysian students studying overseas. The absence of our local undergraduates is sorely felt. And given the rather indifferent attitude of the general local undergraduates, it inadvertently causes certain individuals to look down upon our locals. Which I do have an experience there as well.

Seiryu
04-08-2008, 02:03 PM
i understand how you feel dude. I can see the drastic change in attitude before and after i tell them where i study. Quite disappointing actually.

Anyway, i saw our education minister attentively listen to our pm and even take down notes throughout his speech. Which makes me wonder if he's for real since every single soul in the hall knew that our pm was waaaay out of topic and was telling things that even primary school teachers could tell.

misled_youth
04-08-2008, 03:11 PM
If BN is still the fed gov't next year, I'm pretty sure that this summit won't be held again, to avoid the students embarrassing Pak Lah again.

vseehua
04-08-2008, 04:49 PM
Nice commentary by Andrew there. Let's hope that the government now realizes just how ridiculus they are in the eyes of young malaysians now...

YJ
04-08-2008, 05:32 PM
well undeniably it was a superb event. The MP forum was really the bomb. All three speakers were amazing. I think Khairy is more eloquent than Tony, but Tony speaks more sense than Khairy. Khairy gives me the feeling that government has plans but doesn't tell when they're going to executing the plans, gives me a feeling of all talk no action. (like the windfall taxes for example)..

Feel angry with a statement by Khairy, "We are kicking the ass of S'pore". He gives me the feeling like he is anti-Singapore... In my point of view, there are still lot of things we should learn from Singapore, just like what Mr Tony said, the economics part and also a student currently studying at Australia commented that "kia shu" culture, to certain extent, does motivate us to moving forward. Other than that, the efficiency of Singapore administration,
risk management, appreciations of talented-people, regardless of races, citizenship. These are among the reasons why Singapore are much ahead of us.

Surprisingly some people in the event won't really talk to you unless you tell them you're from an overseas university.
Seiryu, are you studying locally? I do. To certain extent, I agree with you. Overseas students are seem to be more looked-up by the society.

He may be a geek, but at least he is one who is brave enough to voice out what matters to him alot.

For the record, the PM did answer him. He said that he also recognized the outstanding achievements of students in the academic field and that it was also very important.

I don't see what makes him a geek. He was just pointing out that, achievement other than sport eg academic achievement shouldn't ignored.

Seiryu
04-08-2008, 05:34 PM
Seiryu, are you studying locally? I do. To certain extent, I agree with you. Overseas students are seem to be more looked-up by the society.

I'm studying in the US.

youngyew
04-08-2008, 05:39 PM
What exactly did Chen Chow say and how did the PM reply?

YJ
04-08-2008, 05:46 PM
I'm studying in the US.

Ic...It is great that, even an overseas student observed this phenomenon. Means that, It is not us, local students are being too subjective on this phenomenon.

What exactly did Chen Chow say and how did the PM reply?

In the speech, our pm said, it was a regret that Malaysia was not the champion for the Thomas cup this year. During the Q and A session, chen chow said that, Malaysia team was doing well in the Olympiad this year.For the reply:

Sillyboy
04-08-2008, 05:46 PM
I am VERY surprised by some of the questions put forth by our peers.

seeweijie
05-08-2008, 01:39 AM
I am VERY surprised by some of the questions put forth by our peers.

I agree with you. In fact, some of the questions addressed to those YB are somewhat too emotional or i should say rude in their language and tone...

youngyew
05-08-2008, 04:38 AM
I agree with you. In fact, some of the questions addressed to those YB are somewhat too emotional or i should say rude in their language and tone...
Mind to elaborate and give example?

ccter
05-08-2008, 11:24 AM
One girl asked the PM, in a very emotionally-charged tone, "I don't want to know about the things that you'll promise to do for us, I just want to know about your feelings about the things that you've promised but never delivered to us, the rakyats."

Maybe it's a bit too emotional in her tone, lah. But personally I feel it's nice for her to ask this question. Remind the gov that people are actually marking their words, and not to give us empty promises. Good question.

If I have not remember wrongly, the PM replied that his plans for the people is not for the short term only, and actions are still being carried out to fulfill some of these plans. He also said something along the line that we have achieve some other progress within the short term.

davidchak
05-08-2008, 11:40 AM
Ouch, Now only i realized its FOC on admission.

Dang, I shld have go!

I read from Malaysiakini that students were "bashing" Abdullah, lol

ccter
05-08-2008, 11:47 AM
Not only it is FOC, the place is nice (Nikko is a 5 star hotel), and the food is even nicer.

caramel_nut
05-08-2008, 12:18 PM
Not only it is FOC, the place is nice (Nikko is a 5 star hotel), and the food is even nicer.
Location was good but the food was so-so. Perhaps we should stop straying away from the main discussion issues of MSLS? :P

Xon
05-08-2008, 02:06 PM
One girl asked the PM, in a very emotionally-charged tone, "I don't want to know about the things that you'll promise to do for us, I just want to know about your feelings about the things that you've promised but never delivered to us, the rakyats."

Maybe it's a bit too emotional in her tone, lah. But personally I feel it's nice for her to ask this question. Remind the gov that people are actually marking their words, and not to give us empty promises. Good question.

If I have not remember wrongly, the PM replied that his plans for the people is not for the short term only, and actions are still being carried out to fulfill some of these plans. He also said something along the line that we have achieve some other progress within the short term.

Tho i didnt go.But i read from somewhere,that girl is a ReCommer too. :P

Well, She asked a good question what.

One question : any criteria to attend this event? Sound so interestung eh. =)

Sillyboy
05-08-2008, 02:26 PM
Tho i didnt go.But i read from somewhere,that girl is a ReCommer too. :P

Well, She asked a good question what.

One question : any criteria to attend this event? Sound so interestung eh. =)

Ahem, an ex-Recommer seems to be the more appropriate term.

vseehua
05-08-2008, 04:18 PM
If I have not remember wrongly, the PM replied that his plans for the people is not for the short term only, and actions are still being carried out to fulfill some of these plans. He also said something along the line that we have achieve some other progress within the short term.Strange. I didn't remember him mentioning that the plans are to be done in the long term. Still, it is still not an excuse for the non-implementation during the first 5 years of his rule...

ame.zost
05-08-2008, 06:12 PM
can anyone pls post the full article from malaysiakini.com?

i cant read the full article since it's only viewable by members.. :(

XD

davidchak
05-08-2008, 09:00 PM
Sorry, I dont have the English version, but I do have the Mandarin one:

http://www1.malaysiakini.com/news/87181

我国大专生今午在与首相阿都拉的问答环节中,展现“初生之犊不怕虎”的勇气,当场勇敢向首相提出尖锐的问题,甚至质疑他。

student summits 020808 abdullah 1阿都拉(左图)是受邀出席在吉隆坡的一家酒店举行的第二届大马学生领袖峰会,发表“全面发展与政府角色”的首要演说。他随后更与在场的约700名大专生进行近半小时的问答环节。

相对于大专生的勇敢提出问题的表现,阿都拉今午则显得有点迷糊,没有处在状况之中。

旁人提醒才恍然大悟

由于阿都拉在40分钟的演说中没有触及题目,只是谈及爱国精神、国家原则的历史、摆脱种族偏见、2020年宏愿,北京奥运会,及他孩童时的事迹,因此一名自称威廉的华裔大专生便当场要求他针对题目发表意见,结果博得全场学生的掌声。

“我有一个问题是你还没有回应,那就是在全面发展之中,政府应该扮演什么角色?”

不过,阿都拉似乎没有听懂其问题,反而要求这名学生解释,到底什么是全面发展。结果,首相在陪同在旁的英国及爱尔兰大马学生理事会主席凯里祖(Khairizul Rizzuan)的提醒下,才恍然大悟其演讲主题就是“全面发展与政府角色”。

不过,他随后在回答这道问题时并没有详细讨论全面发展的定义,反而注重解释国阵不分种族的权力分享精神。

直指首相没兑现诺言

student summits 020808 crowds其他大专生也大胆针对国家弊病发表本身的意见,希望首相能够做出纠正或是给予回应。一名华裔女生直指阿都拉曾经许下许多承诺,但是却没有实践。

“我不是要你解释你接下来会做什么,而是你作为大马首相,本身到底有什么感想?”

对此,阿都拉强调,他许下承诺就是要实践,但是他在2004年提出的竞选宣言,并非只是涵盖首五年的首相任期而已,而是直到2020年。

下季国会推反贪改革

他也表示,政府已经宣布司法和反贪污局的改革方案,而他们正在努力实现这些改革。他指出,政府将在下季国会会议提呈反贪污局改革的法案,而政府也已经宣布司法委员会(judicial appointment commission)的框架。

他也辩解说,改革并不能一步登天,需要时间来慢慢实践,因为政府必须克服种种困难和挑战,以及改变人们的态度。

“我已经制定我的(改革)议程,我要实践这项议程,我的继承人也会这么做。”

承认人民对经济不满

另一名自称阿兹米的马来学生也询问首相,我国成为先进国的2020宏愿,是否还按照进度地实现?

阿都拉坦承,在目前全球经济放缓和通货膨胀高涨的情况,我国现在可能很难达到6%的成长率。

他也承认,人民对现在的经济感到不满,不过他誓言政府将会继续奋斗,发展我国的经济。

一名多媒体大学的学生也提问,阿都拉怎么看待种族固打制,及保护占多数的马来人政策。

对此,阿都拉没有直接做出回应,只是辩称他们实施扶弱政策,是要协助那些处在弱势的人,以及纠正社会贫富不均的问题。

大专生所提出的其他问题,包括阿都拉会否纠正其他政治人物发表的不负责任的种族主义言论,政府会否纠正公共领域内的种族偏差问题,及阿都拉会否鼓励我国政坛展开更多的辩论。

许子根到场聆听演说

另一方面,目前没有官职的民政党主席许子根,今午也特地现身在学生领袖峰会中,聆听阿都拉的演说。

在首相之前发表演说的教育部长希山慕丁,也同样留下来陪伴阿都拉,并协助他应付学生的提问。

chenchow
06-08-2008, 02:11 AM

?Geek!? said a girl behind me at the time.

This is definitely a valid observation, and not personal attack.

I would say that my main intention of raising that question, is more to highlight it to PM and Hishammuddin regarding the success of Malaysia, and hope that they (esp MOE) can help in supporting this initiative of our National Maths Olympiad and National Physics Olympiad team to get a Gold Medal next year.

Malaysia has been getting at most a Bronze for a long time, and only this year, we got Silver for both the event.

Datuk Seri Hishammuddin did know what I ask about, and while he got no chance to respond, I am hoping that he might be able to agree to put in more support to the team.

bluez_aspic
06-08-2008, 08:21 AM
A bit like asking Aung San Suu Kyi which brand of chewing gum she prefers. It is usually independent, non-profit organizations which are responsible for Olympiad training programs anyway (in partnership with other professional societies and universities). The problem is that the Malaysian scientific/mathematical community is almost non-existent.

masterof_none
06-08-2008, 01:48 PM
Thanks for all your commentaries. I didn't go to the Summit, but I heard that there are some good debates over there.

One of my utmost concerns is actually the quality of our Education. When I help started ReCom a few years ago, one of the motivation is to introduce a no-barrier platform for students to interact. That's the ideal of course, because the use of English already a barrier, not to say Internet, etc. But it does bridge the gap to a certain extent, I think.

But Summit like this is a face-to-face interaction, which is good. One thing that strikes me reading some of the comments here are, people "seem" to looked down on local grads.

I used to think that our local universities are being looked down upon just because of Malaysian mentality of thinking that overseas grad are more "hebat". However, I think now I've lived here long enough to go wandering around some of our local universities, I actually think that there are a lot to improve to our Universities. (For example, if you go to USM engineering campus, you might think of it's probably a factory of some sort because of the designs - it looks like "kilangs". Although you haven't talked to the students there, you already know what's the intention for building the campus in the first place. Next, you thought that the campus is best suited in Penang FIZ area in Bayan Baru or somewhere here because there are a lot of companies here to do some learning around, but you wonder why it's somewhere in the middle of jungle. I can go on and on).

I would say although we tend to point to government for mistakes , but I'm more on the pro-student stance. I believe the desired policies should be bubbled up, not pushed-down. So I'm not saying Government didn't do its part (maybe it does), but we can do something at least (what else? Something else more) to bridge the gap between the overseas and local grads.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that government is right by restricting students freedom through AUKU (please keep pressuring government to abandon this Act), but we should also do something more concrete, perhaps a follow up of MSLS. I think that's more important. MSLS could be a good meeting point, but we need to do more.

Anyway, congrats to the MSLS committee. I know it's really hard to organize an event, let alone you have so many VIPs there.

ame.zost
06-08-2008, 02:47 PM
Sorry, I dont have the English version, but I do have the Mandarin one:

sobs.. too bad.. i cant read lah.. :(

can anyone pls?

btw, thnx..

youngyew
06-08-2008, 04:15 PM
http://dinmerican.wordpress.com/2008/08/02/even-students-are-giving-badawi-a-tough-time/

misled_youth
13-08-2008, 09:22 PM
Datuk Seri Hishammuddin did know what I ask about, and while he got no chance to respond, I am hoping that he might be able to agree to put in more support to the team.

Better luck next year Chenchow!

I'm curious... why were they so many graduates attending the event?

Chenchow was one of them.

I didn't get an answer since I was not there.