PDA

View Full Version : Anybody play go / baduk / weichi

markwongsk
26-11-2008, 10:59 PM
Seems like everybody is playing Chess here. But since it's a fun game section, anybody who play Go (weichi/baduk) here? I personally like it more than Chess.

chiunlin
27-11-2008, 12:33 AM
I play Chinese Chess/Chess/Go(in order of preference and strength).

FCHP
27-11-2008, 07:46 AM
In order of which games I learned first Chess / Chinese Chess / Go

I learned Go the last but I think its the most elegant.

I'm more of a fan rather than a player in them though, maybe due to the following

Go (5) / Chess (6) / Chinese Chess ( 8 ) in order of the youngest age of opponents to have beat me.

chongkeat
27-11-2008, 05:01 PM
I learned Go the last but I think its the most elegant.
Hmm, interesting. I prefer complex games e.g. plenty of rules, possiblities.

So, Favourite => Master of Orion => Chinese Chess => Chess => Go => Tic-Tac Toe => Least favourite

bluez_aspic
27-11-2008, 08:13 PM
No way, go is far more complex than chess. I flirted with it for several weeks (after reading Hikaru no Go) - I don't like it, but that's also because I suck big time at it.

chiunlin
28-11-2008, 12:36 AM
In terms of game complexity, it's Go > Chinese Chess > Chess. Although we have Deep Blue that had beaten a World Champion, we have yet to have a computer program strong enough to beat the number 1 ranked player in Chinese Chess(there was a showcase match not long ago but the result was a draw, and the timing was in favor of the computer program). As for Go, last I remember, the strongest computer program is about 5-6 Dan.

youngyew
28-11-2008, 05:54 AM
I thought Chess would be more complex than Chinese Chess due to the freedom of the King and Queen?

FCHP
28-11-2008, 09:21 AM
In terms of game complexity, it's Go > Chinese Chess > Chess. Although we have Deep Blue that had beaten a World Champion, we have yet to have a computer program strong enough to beat the number 1 ranked player in Chinese Chess(there was a showcase match not long ago but the result was a draw, and the timing was in favor of the computer program). As for Go, last I remember, the strongest computer program is about 5-6 Dan.

The complexity ranking is correct, estimated game-tree complexity is Go (10^360), Chinese Chess (10^150), Chess (10^123).

In contrast the estimated number of atoms in the observable universe of 80 billion galaxies which each make up an estimated 400 billion stars comes to about 10^80 atoms.

As for strongest computer program for Go, I've only seen Go programs play at Dan level on the 9x9 board. On the normal 19x19 board the strongest computer program i've seen is a single digit kyu player (stronger half of the average club player, non-professional)

p.s. - 10^360 is computer language for "10 to the power of 360"

markwongsk
28-11-2008, 10:00 AM
strongest go program on 9X9 board is about 5-6dan = mogo.
On 19X19 board, amateur dans can crush them. I personally like go better because it makes more sense to me. I can memorize games on go board but not on chess board =.=

chiunlin
28-11-2008, 01:53 PM
Chinese Chess has a higher complexity mainly because the board is larger(9x10 vs 8x8 ). With the same number of pieces, there is more room for each piece to move around.

Yea forgot to mention that I was referring to 9x9 Go board. Most of the problems with computer Go is that most of the methods(alpha-beta search, material values, position value tables) used in a computer chess/chinese chess program either do not work as well or do not work at all. I personally feel that machine learning using neural networks and genetic algorithms is the only way to develop a world class computer Go program.

chongkeat
28-11-2008, 03:13 PM
Although, many would prefer to play Go because it is so simple. Beginners can master the basics in 5 minutes or less, and it can be played on the school exercise books, with dots and crosses, with massive games stretching up to three or four pages stapled together!

markwongsk
28-11-2008, 05:03 PM
Although, many would prefer to play Go because it is so simple. Beginners can master the basics in 5 minutes or less, and it can be played on the school exercise books, with dots and crosses, with massive games stretching up to three or four pages stapled together!

believe me, i had done it before but that's not real go. it's a variation which I dono who created. Real go is MORE fun haha

chongkeat
29-11-2008, 08:53 AM
believe me, i had done it before but that's not real go. it's a variation which I dono who created.
Ok, I didn't know it was a variation of the real game.

Real go is MORE fun haha
The real game's much better?! Oh, boy, this should be nice!

*Looking up Wikipedia article on Go (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_(game))*

markwongsk
29-11-2008, 10:01 PM
what's with the link? it describes go as it is. The version where "people stick three or four pieces of paper together" is not the real version. (real = 19X19 board)

chongkeat
29-11-2008, 11:17 PM
what's with the link? it describes go as it is. The version where "people stick three or four pieces of paper together" is not the real version. (real = 19X19 board)
You see, that's why sometimes I need to include lengthy explanations in my emails.

I'm sorry if you misunderstood, but I'm just trying to say that I realize I was wrong. It's not a sarcastic remark.

The link is for others who don't know what go is. I gave them a link to the article. It's better than "go look up Wikipedia!".

I read the article myself (partially, at any rate). I won't post a link so foolishly, without going through it first. I know what the real go is like.

Sorry if you misunderstood, and yeah, in hindsight, I should have added some smilies or something. :)?

markwongsk
04-12-2008, 05:10 PM
hoho sorry -.- grouchy person amidst STPM...... Well it's over now

MERRY CHRISTMAS

*the last sentence had nothing to do with Christmas

Anyway, yeah Go is fun. Malaysia is holding a three country tourney this week in KL. Good luck to all participants!!!

chongkeat
04-12-2008, 05:19 PM
hoho sorry -.- grouchy person amidst STPM...... Well it's over now
We're cool.

Malaysia is holding a three country tourney this week in KL. Good luck to all participants!!!
Oh, oh, I'm going to be in KL this weekend! A Go tourney? Where? When?

markwongsk
06-12-2008, 11:06 AM
♪♫ Upcoming Competition ♪♫
Malaysia - Singapore -Thailand Weiqi Friendship Tournament
Date : 5 - 8 Dec 2008
Venue :
OCM Hotel, Kuala Lumpur
OLYMPIC COUNCIL OF MALAYSIA (OCM)
Jalan Hang Jebat, 50150 Kuala Lumpur (opposite Stadium Negara)
Tel: 03-2078 7888

http://weiqi.org.my/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?board=Events;action=display;num=1224483444

bluez_aspic
14-12-2008, 07:01 PM
Any good Go resources online?