ReCom.org

ReCom.org (https://www.recom.org/forum/index.php)
-   ReCom Language and Literature Corner (https://www.recom.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Studying A Foreign Language (https://www.recom.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7129)

HiddenEyes 13-06-2008 09:27 PM

Studying A Foreign Language

What's the best way to study a new language, for instance- Japanese, Korean , French or Spanish ?

tanyijing2007 13-06-2008 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiddenEyes (Post 192460)
What's the best way to study a new language, for instance- Japanese, Korean , French or Spanish ?

:P Hi, hiddeneyes, which language you wish to learn now? I'm learning Korean. Nice to meet you. Annyeonghaseyo :nod

Xon 13-06-2008 09:31 PM

hehehe. through Kindy books and kindy songs seriously. =)

whui 13-06-2008 09:39 PM

Try look for "language for dummies" series:).

Leticia 16-06-2008 07:14 PM

I think it's by visiting the country. I want to visit Germany someday. :) i love German.
Ich liebe Deutsch.

shinyelhsa 01-09-2008 12:30 PM

Seriously, through songs and dramas.

pick up words by words.

Best solution, attend classes or find a partner who could speak tat language to you.

^^

chongkeat 01-09-2008 04:30 PM

Attend classes. You need a teacher to correct your mistakes, which is difficult to notice on your own.

I tried learning foreign languages on my own, but after going to class for two months, i saw more improvement than half a year of self studying.

Appolo 19-09-2008 03:05 AM

attend classes and practice from the most basic there is.

kazhaq 28-09-2008 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leticia (Post 193541)
I think it's by visiting the country. I want to visit Germany someday. :) i love German.
Ich liebe Deutsch.

why u love germany?

LilSmurfy 29-09-2008 01:55 AM

Personally i think learning through songs, entertainment programmes, drama...( of course in the language that u interested in) could help u to speed up the understanding and pronunciation. Thats how i speed up my learning in mandarin and through hk drama i learned quite many words in cantonese and now i could understand it without reading the subtitle. As well as attending classes is important 2..

Herlene 13-10-2008 10:33 PM

Cantonese is a piece of cake if you know Mandarin. It is just a dialect, not a language. Basically, it share similiar grammer with Mandarin.

If you are serious about learning a new foreign language, it is better to attend class where you can really learn..There 'll be teacher so you can always seek for guidance. Of course, songs and drama may help, but not as effective as attending a class.

chongkeat 19-10-2008 07:33 PM

I had this German kindy book, with five 200-word stories. Boy, it took me two weeks of intense dictionary word-hunting to finish it! A KINDY book, for god's sake!

So, yeah..... Reading books can help, but it will also tear the living soul out of you. But, hey! I finished it (finally)

Neutral_pH 01-11-2008 03:28 AM

Re: Studying a foreign language

I am currently studying in France so French for me.
It's simpler than German as most of the words are similar to English, save for the pronunciation.
If you can master German, you can definitely master French.

Bonjour, comment-allez vous? Vive la France! et la Malaisie!

caramel_nut 01-11-2008 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neutral_pH (Post 207078)
I am currently studying in France so French for me.
It's simpler than German as most of the words are similar to English, save for the pronunciation.
If you can master German, you can definitely master French.

Bonjour, comment-allez vous? Vive la France! et la Malaisie!

speaking of French, it was quite hilarious when I tried to pick up some phrases while walking around France. I only remember one word:

billet -> ticket! (saw the word all over the place in the train station, so I figured out it must have meant ticket)

HiddenEyes 01-12-2008 10:32 PM

I learned my Cantonese through HK dramas, so yea. But languages like Korean and Japanese, I believe it's rather hard to learn from drama and songs.It's because I watch those dramas and listen to those songs as well.. Not really picking up.T.T.
So, you mean French is easier than German?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanyijing2007 (Post 192461)
:P Hi, hiddeneyes, which language you wish to learn now? I'm learning Korean. Nice to meet you. Annyeonghaseyo :nod

Hi, I'm looking forward to learn some Korean.=) Probably a little French or Spanish as well, when I get to US.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chongkeat (Post 206622)
I had this German kindy book, with five 200-word stories. Boy, it took me two weeks of intense dictionary word-hunting to finish it! A KINDY book, for god's sake!

So, yeah..... Reading books can help, but it will also tear the living soul out of you. But, hey! I finished it (finally)

So, you can speak and write German now ?

chongkeat 02-12-2008 10:25 AM

Quote:

So, you can speak and write German now ?
Ein bisschen :nod, but I think the average four-year-old can kick my ass at German right now.

Neutral_pH 18-12-2008 09:22 AM

If the 4 year old is german that is. But you can kick his ass back in english. And why do you want to kick a 4 year's old kid's ass? :D

Yeah IMO French is hell lot more easier than German. German words can go up to 1 mile long, and contain lots of consonants. You'll be twisting your tongue in no time.

I am thinking of visiting Japan. Any tips of how to survive there?

vikraman 18-12-2008 10:45 AM

Read a Lot Of Manga. XD I learnt Cantonese due to lack of choice lol. All my friends came from Chinese primary school and I played basketball for KL where my coach would coach in Cantonese thus I learnt it by exposure. (Very slow process though.) I will probably attend classes for Mandarin though. Maybe next year :)

Wo bu hwei jang hua yi. :(

henry_yew 18-12-2008 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikraman (Post 209934)
Wo bu hwei jang hua yi. :(

It should read, "wo bu hui jiang hua yu." If you include the proper phonetics, it should be, "wo3 bu4 hui4 jiang3 hua2 yu3."

LOL, Mandarin is not an easy language to learn. There are just four main phonetics but there are thousands of characters, each with different meanings. And hundreds of words bear the same phonetics, but written in different ways, and bear different meanings.

But once you can speak fluently, and write a little, Mandarin seems easier to cope with. In Mandarin, there isn't really a system where you can derive the meaning just simply from the characters. In most circumstances, you can derive the basic definitions based on the characters. But in complex sentences, that won't do.

To master the Mandarin language, it's not about just learning, it's also about using the language. Like Japanese, it's easier to learn Mandarin through songs.

You'll be surprised when you realise that you could pick up Cantonese fairly easily, but find lots of difficulty trying to learn Mandarin as a new language.

vikraman 18-12-2008 12:43 PM

I hope to learn to speak (fullstop). Reading and writing are probably beyond my (limited) ability and (very limited) time haha.

evening_go_jogging 18-12-2008 04:35 PM

Seems like not many people are interested in learning Spanish.

henry_yew 18-12-2008 05:14 PM

Hola! Komo esta? (I'm not sure if this is right either. Haha)

Spanish? I daresay it's a far easier language to learn, as compared to Japanese, German or French. The pronunciation is mostly similar to that of Bahasa Malaysia.

But it isn't such a popular language, though very widely used, too. Even personally I'd prefer learning French or German.

chongkeat 18-12-2008 05:35 PM

Quote:

But it isn't such a popular language, though very widely used, too. Even personally I'd prefer learning French or German.
If by "popular", you mean "in vogue", then definitely, Spanish is not as romantic as French, or as common among peers as Japanese (in Malaysia). At least, not now.

Though, Spanish is one of the most widely spoken languages in the world.

Irrelevant P.S.: Anyone here knows where to learn Spanish in Penang?

vikraman 18-12-2008 06:49 PM

Spanish is the the first language for some 400 million people and is a second language for a further 100 million people. It's the second most common mother tongue (after mandarin) and the 3rd most common spoken language (after english and mandarin). It's also the third most common official language (20 countries have it as the official/co-official language). (53 countries for English, 29 countries for French.)

Neutral_pH 18-12-2008 07:08 PM

Who ever say French is romantic languange?? It does not sound romantic..heck it sound so pompous at times. I suppose many people confuse romance languages as being romantic, which it's not. Romance languages are ,IMO, are languages influenced by the Latin, from Rome, hence "Romance".

Unfortunately like chongkeat says Spanish is one of the most spoken languages in the world. French ,sadly, is not. Apart from one of the two official languages used in the UN, French is hardly used anywhere else apart from France and her former colonies. Vive la France la sangat......

However if you can learn Spanish, then you have no pbs learning the other remaining romance languages, mainly French and Italian. Once you get the hold of the grammar and the sentence structure, all you need to do is change the words as the former is identical for all the 3.

Plus Spanish chicks are hottest in Europe. Por Favor, senorita?

henry_yew 18-12-2008 07:46 PM

Por favor finito. *slaps* LOL

The French are very proud of their language. Most likely if you speak to them in English, they'd still reply you in French, despite them understanding English fairly well.

It's annoying. As tourists, you don't expect me to be able to speak your language. My lecturer was in Disneyland Paris trying to purchase entry tickets but the ticketing counter refused to entertained him because he spoke in English. She brushed him aside and entertained a French couple behind my lecturer. He got angry, so this is what happened:

Lecturer: (cuts in abruptly) Hah, saya nak empat keping tiket. Dua untuk dewasa, dua untuk kanak-kanak.

Ticketer: (looks extremely blur, and apologetic) Excuse me, sir, could you please come again? How could I help you?

Neutral_pH 18-12-2008 10:51 PM

MUAHAHAAHAHAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's a good one!

Yeah I know that the French are very anti-English, for some reason only known to them. I guess that's why they had been at each other throats for 100 years (see 100 year war).

My friend recounted a similar story that happened to another friend of his who was visiting paris. He wanted to go to the Eiffel Tower, and asked for directions in English, but nobody entertained him. Finally he got so fed up and he did the same as Yew's lecturer did. he bantai in Malay. The strange thing is he got way better service using Malay than he ever would if he spoke in English.

There are lots of stories like this happening in France. I even heard from one my mother's friends that her Sabahan friend spoke in Kadazan to get the attention of the waiter in a restaurant. And the guy received fantastic service!

My French elec prof once bantai us for writing our names in a "timid" manner (our handwriting is small actually compared to theirs). He said " Why are you so scared of your names? Be proud of them!". Another + point: he came to Malaysia before and he loves the country. In fact he's the only French prof who wolfed down half a durian by himself while the others abstain from the smell.

The moral of the story: Be proud of your native tongue and be proud of who you are.
I digress... I know....:D

chongkeat 19-12-2008 08:29 AM

Quote:

Who ever say French is romantic languange?? It does not sound romantic..heck it sound so pompous at times. I suppose many people confuse romance languages as being romantic, which it's not. Romance languages are ,IMO, are languages influenced by the Latin, from Rome, hence "Romance".
Er, yeah, I know that. I just meant that most people think that "French = Like Everything in France = Atmosphere of Love = Romance". You know, popular (if somewhat incorrect) opinion.

Quote:

Unfortunately like chongkeat says Spanish is one of the most spoken languages in the world.
Wait, unfortunately?! Why?

davidchak 19-12-2008 09:45 AM

I agree. French is a rough language. I prefer spanish though, kinda regret didnt take spanish instead of french....

EricFu 19-12-2008 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidchak (Post 210021)
I agree. French is a rough language. I prefer spanish though, kinda regret didnt take spanish instead of french....

French may be a rough language, but I still think that it's a beautiful language in many ways, being rich in grammatical structures... C'est mon avis.

Neutral_pH 19-12-2008 06:58 PM

bah...chacun son avis on doit jamais forcer nos id?es sur les autres...

What I meant by "unfortunately" is actually meant for me, since I am using a language that's not so popular in msia, and I feel kinda regret if I leave France afterwards as I won't be practicing French anymore. Unless I got a French wife....... :D :D

henry_yew 19-12-2008 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neutral_pH (Post 210000)
My French elec prof once bantai us for writing our names in a "timid" manner (our handwriting is small actually compared to theirs). He said " Why are you so scared of your names? Be proud of them!". Another + point: he came to Malaysia before and he loves the country. In fact he's the only French prof who wolfed down half a durian by himself while the others abstain from the smell.

The moral of the story: Be proud of your native tongue and be proud of who you are.
I digress... I know....:D

There are three French lecturers in my university, and one of them speaks very fluent, eloquent English. Both of us were attending a Postgraduate dinner, where the VIP was the Director of the Petroleum Engineering Department from a French petroleum institute (forgot the name). My French lecturer was the emcee, and we sat next to each other. I had a great time learning a few things about French.

One thing for sure is that French people would find it difficult trying to speak English. Even if they try, most likely their English is quite unintelligible. The French VIP truly spoke English in a manner, which to my annoyance, was almost incomprehensible. I was surprised by this because my French lecturer speaks very good English! I asked her if she is really French, as in from the nation of France, and she said, "Yes!"

She knew what I was going to ask (I was going to ask why is it that the French Director's English was almost incomprehensible; she even told me she couldn't understand what he was speaking in English). She said, "The reason why the French don't speak such fluent English is because when one is too used with the French language, it's hard to converse in English. The French language is practically flat throughout, whereas the English language is full of the 'ups and downs'. There are stresses in English, but there is none in French. Most consonants at the end of French words are silent, but in English they're pronounced clearly. And with the French speaking French all the time (unless they're forced to speak in English), they receive almost no practice in the English language at all!"

Well, at least my French lecturer believes that in order for a student to learn French, it's fair that the student is provided translations to French words in the language that the student can understand. She frowns upon the methods used by French teachers to teach French to new students only in French with no translations.

qedx 19-12-2008 07:23 PM

What do you guys think of online language courses? I stumbled upon livemocha.com and I'm kinda looking for some second opinions on it. It seems to take a social network approach to language learning.

Neutral_pH 19-12-2008 08:07 PM

IMO online courses do help to a certain extend, covering the basics and all that, but its usefulness is really limited if you want to be fluent in that language. The only way to be fluent in languages is to read in that language and speak a lot with native speakers. Another thing is that a language evolves everyday. There are new words being added constantly, and the problem is that you won't know about all this words unless you speak frequently with those people. Dictionaries are of no help in this area, since the add-ons are too numerous to list down, and there's no exact meaning to these words. Furthermore you also need to pronounce the words in a correct way or else you might confuse , or worse , anger people.

For example, in French, the words "quand" and "con" have almost the same pronunciation but they mean 2 totally different things. "quand" = when while "con"= idiot/stupid. So be careful!

I am not implying that online courses are useless. They're great for beginners, but if you really want to be fluent in a particular language, or at least be a coherent speaker, then the only way is by practise. No choice!

henry_yew 19-12-2008 09:42 PM

Et voila! Mon amis! Mon dieu!

Respondez s'il vous plait.

Comment allez vous?

Merci bouceaup (unsure of spelling).

Au revoir!

Heh, what limited French I have.

joofei 24-12-2008 05:16 PM

I have a two sisters(Papa had two wives) who are French but never got the chance to learn from them...

Neutral_pH 25-12-2008 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joofei (Post 210286)
I have a two sisters(Papa had two wives) who are French but never got the chance to learn from them...

That's nice....but I supposed they didn't learn Malay,English, Mandarin or Tamil?

chongkeat 25-12-2008 02:10 PM

Quote:

Respondez s'il vous plait.

Comment allez vous?
Ah, the only two French phrases that I know..... (That, and foie gras)
But I kinda forgot the meaning of the second phrase (Comment allez vous); is it like "How are you"?
And is it pronounced like "coumon allei vu"?

I'm kinda blur-blur......

davidchak 29-12-2008 07:14 AM

Comment allez vous should sound like

Como Taleh vous

henry_yew 29-12-2008 10:10 PM

When I was in Paris, a Cantonese restaurateur jokingly said that if you have problems pronouncing that sentence (Comment allez vous), you can practise using the following Cantonese sentence:

"Kam man ta lou fu." (今晚打老虎) Translated it means "Tonight hunt tiger."

LOL