ReCom.org

ReCom.org (https://www.recom.org/forum/index.php)
-   Malaysia Today (https://www.recom.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Survey: Indian Malaysians + Chinese Malaysians (https://www.recom.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15649)

Voltman 31-08-2012 02:55 AM

Indian Malaysians + Chinese Malaysians

Hi,

What is the approximate percentage of intermarriages between Chinese Malaysians and Indian Malaysians?

Is social taboo to interracially marry in Malaysia?

As we head into the future, are Malaysians expecting a major soar in interracial marriage between these two ethnic groups?

Is there still a preference to marry someone of your own ethnicity in Malaysia?

How is the situation over there?

frostbyte13 31-08-2012 03:20 AM

Re: Indian Malaysians + Chinese Malaysians

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltman (Post 399206)
Hi,

What is the approximate percentage of intermarriages between Chinese Malaysians and Indian Malaysians?

Is social taboo to interracially marry in Malaysia?

As we head into the future, are Malaysians expecting a major soar in interracial marriage between these two ethnic groups?

Is there still a preference to marry someone of your own ethnicity in Malaysia?

How is the situation over there?

Google is a great help with statistics in what we cannot provide.

Depends the family backgrounds involved. Some families have conflicts of traditions they practice. Not to mention religion is also a sensitive issue when it comes to interracial marriage, unless both parties practice the same. Interracial marriage is not rare amongst Malaysians. In fact, in certain states the culture of Nyonya Baba (Chinese-Malay interracial marriages) is a heritage that has found a place in our history books.

I would not say definitely yes, but if you ask me, I still would want to marry a Chinese girl :oh There are some who are also setting sights on foreigners. Maybe they are getting bored with the local scene? LOL :wink

Huh? :huh

Voltman 01-09-2012 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frostbyte13 (Post 399209)

I would not say definitely yes, but if you ask me, I still would want to marry a Chinese girl :oh There are some who are also setting sights on foreigners. Maybe they are getting bored with the local scene? LOL :wink

Huh? :huh

:amazed Any particular reason why you prefer to marry a Chinese girl?

marczeman 02-09-2012 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltman (Post 399232)

Less traditional :jk

Nicholasng925 02-09-2012 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltman (Post 399232)

Because he's a Chinese boy? :P

Nicholas92 02-09-2012 09:35 AM

This won't answer ALL your questions but it's a pretty interesting look at the history of interracial marriage in the country, especially among Malays and the elite: http://www.asiasentinel.com/index.ph...=600&Itemid=34

frostbyte13 02-09-2012 07:06 PM

Lol, simple preference. Just as some of my friends prefer to eyeball foreigners, I just happen to prefer such a person. I can't really quantify or reason why though, and I'm sure most people are like this too.

Dominic 03-09-2012 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frostbyte13 (Post 399243)
Lol, simple preference. Just as some of my friends prefer to eyeball foreigners, I just happen to prefer such a person. I can't really quantify or reason why though, and I'm sure most people are like this too.

I prefer foreigners myself, mainly Caucasians and Middle Easterners. Not sure why, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. I guess I just find them more attractive than their Asian counterparts.