ReCom.org

ReCom.org (https://www.recom.org/forum/index.php)
-   ReCom Language and Literature Corner (https://www.recom.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Studying A Foreign Language (https://www.recom.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7129)

Herlene 13-10-2008 10:33 PM

Cantonese is a piece of cake if you know Mandarin. It is just a dialect, not a language. Basically, it share similiar grammer with Mandarin.

If you are serious about learning a new foreign language, it is better to attend class where you can really learn..There 'll be teacher so you can always seek for guidance. Of course, songs and drama may help, but not as effective as attending a class.

chongkeat 19-10-2008 07:33 PM

I had this German kindy book, with five 200-word stories. Boy, it took me two weeks of intense dictionary word-hunting to finish it! A KINDY book, for god's sake!

So, yeah..... Reading books can help, but it will also tear the living soul out of you. But, hey! I finished it (finally)

Neutral_pH 01-11-2008 03:28 AM

Re: Studying a foreign language

I am currently studying in France so French for me.
It's simpler than German as most of the words are similar to English, save for the pronunciation.
If you can master German, you can definitely master French.

Bonjour, comment-allez vous? Vive la France! et la Malaisie!

caramel_nut 01-11-2008 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neutral_pH (Post 207078)
I am currently studying in France so French for me.
It's simpler than German as most of the words are similar to English, save for the pronunciation.
If you can master German, you can definitely master French.

Bonjour, comment-allez vous? Vive la France! et la Malaisie!

speaking of French, it was quite hilarious when I tried to pick up some phrases while walking around France. I only remember one word:

billet -> ticket! (saw the word all over the place in the train station, so I figured out it must have meant ticket)

HiddenEyes 01-12-2008 10:32 PM

I learned my Cantonese through HK dramas, so yea. But languages like Korean and Japanese, I believe it's rather hard to learn from drama and songs.It's because I watch those dramas and listen to those songs as well.. Not really picking up.T.T.
So, you mean French is easier than German?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanyijing2007 (Post 192461)
:P Hi, hiddeneyes, which language you wish to learn now? I'm learning Korean. Nice to meet you. Annyeonghaseyo :nod

Hi, I'm looking forward to learn some Korean.=) Probably a little French or Spanish as well, when I get to US.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chongkeat (Post 206622)
I had this German kindy book, with five 200-word stories. Boy, it took me two weeks of intense dictionary word-hunting to finish it! A KINDY book, for god's sake!

So, yeah..... Reading books can help, but it will also tear the living soul out of you. But, hey! I finished it (finally)

So, you can speak and write German now ?

chongkeat 02-12-2008 10:25 AM

Quote:

So, you can speak and write German now ?
Ein bisschen :nod, but I think the average four-year-old can kick my ass at German right now.

Neutral_pH 18-12-2008 09:22 AM

If the 4 year old is german that is. But you can kick his ass back in english. And why do you want to kick a 4 year's old kid's ass? :D

Yeah IMO French is hell lot more easier than German. German words can go up to 1 mile long, and contain lots of consonants. You'll be twisting your tongue in no time.

I am thinking of visiting Japan. Any tips of how to survive there?

vikraman 18-12-2008 10:45 AM

Read a Lot Of Manga. XD I learnt Cantonese due to lack of choice lol. All my friends came from Chinese primary school and I played basketball for KL where my coach would coach in Cantonese thus I learnt it by exposure. (Very slow process though.) I will probably attend classes for Mandarin though. Maybe next year :)

Wo bu hwei jang hua yi. :(

henry_yew 18-12-2008 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikraman (Post 209934)
Wo bu hwei jang hua yi. :(

It should read, "wo bu hui jiang hua yu." If you include the proper phonetics, it should be, "wo3 bu4 hui4 jiang3 hua2 yu3."

LOL, Mandarin is not an easy language to learn. There are just four main phonetics but there are thousands of characters, each with different meanings. And hundreds of words bear the same phonetics, but written in different ways, and bear different meanings.

But once you can speak fluently, and write a little, Mandarin seems easier to cope with. In Mandarin, there isn't really a system where you can derive the meaning just simply from the characters. In most circumstances, you can derive the basic definitions based on the characters. But in complex sentences, that won't do.

To master the Mandarin language, it's not about just learning, it's also about using the language. Like Japanese, it's easier to learn Mandarin through songs.

You'll be surprised when you realise that you could pick up Cantonese fairly easily, but find lots of difficulty trying to learn Mandarin as a new language.

vikraman 18-12-2008 12:43 PM

I hope to learn to speak (fullstop). Reading and writing are probably beyond my (limited) ability and (very limited) time haha.