ReCom.org

ReCom.org (https://www.recom.org/forum/index.php)
-   ReCom Language and Literature Corner (https://www.recom.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Studying A Foreign Language (https://www.recom.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7129)

evening_go_jogging 18-12-2008 04:35 PM

Re: Studying a foreign language

Seems like not many people are interested in learning Spanish.

henry_yew 18-12-2008 05:14 PM

Hola! Komo esta? (I'm not sure if this is right either. Haha)

Spanish? I daresay it's a far easier language to learn, as compared to Japanese, German or French. The pronunciation is mostly similar to that of Bahasa Malaysia.

But it isn't such a popular language, though very widely used, too. Even personally I'd prefer learning French or German.

chongkeat 18-12-2008 05:35 PM

Quote:

But it isn't such a popular language, though very widely used, too. Even personally I'd prefer learning French or German.
If by "popular", you mean "in vogue", then definitely, Spanish is not as romantic as French, or as common among peers as Japanese (in Malaysia). At least, not now.

Though, Spanish is one of the most widely spoken languages in the world.

Irrelevant P.S.: Anyone here knows where to learn Spanish in Penang?

vikraman 18-12-2008 06:49 PM

Spanish is the the first language for some 400 million people and is a second language for a further 100 million people. It's the second most common mother tongue (after mandarin) and the 3rd most common spoken language (after english and mandarin). It's also the third most common official language (20 countries have it as the official/co-official language). (53 countries for English, 29 countries for French.)

Neutral_pH 18-12-2008 07:08 PM

Who ever say French is romantic languange?? It does not sound romantic..heck it sound so pompous at times. I suppose many people confuse romance languages as being romantic, which it's not. Romance languages are ,IMO, are languages influenced by the Latin, from Rome, hence "Romance".

Unfortunately like chongkeat says Spanish is one of the most spoken languages in the world. French ,sadly, is not. Apart from one of the two official languages used in the UN, French is hardly used anywhere else apart from France and her former colonies. Vive la France la sangat......

However if you can learn Spanish, then you have no pbs learning the other remaining romance languages, mainly French and Italian. Once you get the hold of the grammar and the sentence structure, all you need to do is change the words as the former is identical for all the 3.

Plus Spanish chicks are hottest in Europe. Por Favor, senorita?

henry_yew 18-12-2008 07:46 PM

Por favor finito. *slaps* LOL

The French are very proud of their language. Most likely if you speak to them in English, they'd still reply you in French, despite them understanding English fairly well.

It's annoying. As tourists, you don't expect me to be able to speak your language. My lecturer was in Disneyland Paris trying to purchase entry tickets but the ticketing counter refused to entertained him because he spoke in English. She brushed him aside and entertained a French couple behind my lecturer. He got angry, so this is what happened:

Lecturer: (cuts in abruptly) Hah, saya nak empat keping tiket. Dua untuk dewasa, dua untuk kanak-kanak.

Ticketer: (looks extremely blur, and apologetic) Excuse me, sir, could you please come again? How could I help you?

Neutral_pH 18-12-2008 10:51 PM

MUAHAHAAHAHAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's a good one!

Yeah I know that the French are very anti-English, for some reason only known to them. I guess that's why they had been at each other throats for 100 years (see 100 year war).

My friend recounted a similar story that happened to another friend of his who was visiting paris. He wanted to go to the Eiffel Tower, and asked for directions in English, but nobody entertained him. Finally he got so fed up and he did the same as Yew's lecturer did. he bantai in Malay. The strange thing is he got way better service using Malay than he ever would if he spoke in English.

There are lots of stories like this happening in France. I even heard from one my mother's friends that her Sabahan friend spoke in Kadazan to get the attention of the waiter in a restaurant. And the guy received fantastic service!

My French elec prof once bantai us for writing our names in a "timid" manner (our handwriting is small actually compared to theirs). He said " Why are you so scared of your names? Be proud of them!". Another + point: he came to Malaysia before and he loves the country. In fact he's the only French prof who wolfed down half a durian by himself while the others abstain from the smell.

The moral of the story: Be proud of your native tongue and be proud of who you are.
I digress... I know....:D

chongkeat 19-12-2008 08:29 AM

Quote:

Who ever say French is romantic languange?? It does not sound romantic..heck it sound so pompous at times. I suppose many people confuse romance languages as being romantic, which it's not. Romance languages are ,IMO, are languages influenced by the Latin, from Rome, hence "Romance".
Er, yeah, I know that. I just meant that most people think that "French = Like Everything in France = Atmosphere of Love = Romance". You know, popular (if somewhat incorrect) opinion.

Quote:

Unfortunately like chongkeat says Spanish is one of the most spoken languages in the world.
Wait, unfortunately?! Why?

davidchak 19-12-2008 09:45 AM

I agree. French is a rough language. I prefer spanish though, kinda regret didnt take spanish instead of french....

EricFu 19-12-2008 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidchak (Post 210021)
I agree. French is a rough language. I prefer spanish though, kinda regret didnt take spanish instead of french....

French may be a rough language, but I still think that it's a beautiful language in many ways, being rich in grammatical structures... C'est mon avis.