View Single Post
bush
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor

#76 Old 23-01-2011 Default Re: Studying a foreign language

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidboy View Post
Personally, I would consider all of this as dialects. A language is what everyone speaks compared to a dialect where only a certain amount of people in a certain area speaks. I'll give some examples to better explain this:

In Spain, only people in Barcelona speak Catalan and the people in some northern region (I forgot where and am lazy to search for it) speak Basque, but all Spaniards speak Spanish. So Spanish is a language and the others are all dialects.

In France, I can only think of a dialect for the moment and it's Alsatian. Only people in Alsace speak this dialect. Some of the kids nowadays only know a few words of it. But everyone here speaks French. In southern and nothern France, there are the so-called southern and northern accents respectively. As the name indicates, they're actually French with their own accents. In conclusion, French is a language and Alsatian is a dialect.

In China, there are all those dialects that you all know so well of (including Shanghai dialect, Sichuan dialect, etc.). But what they all learn at school is Mandarin. So it's the same conclusion here.

In Japan, there is the well known Osaka "ben" for Detective Conan fans. They (Japanese) call it a dialect but it's actually more like an accent. Again, everyone in Japan speaks Japanese so it's a language and the Osaka "ben" that only Osaka residents speak is a dialect.

Hope that clears all the misunderstandings between languages and dialects.
That's how you see it but it's not how it is.

Catalan is not a dialect. Say that in Barcelona and you'll likely get shot. Not all Spaniards speak spanish either.

Cantonese(Yue) is not a dialect. It's a language in it's own right. Within it, you have Taishanese etc etc. The Wu language of which shanghainese is a dialect of is a language in it's own right. So is Suzhou-nese a dialect of Wu.

So please stop confusing people.
bush is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.05778 seconds with 13 queries