View Single Post
stupidboy

#77 Old 23-01-2011 Default Re: Studying a foreign language

Quote:
Originally Posted by bush View Post
That's how you see it but it's not how it is.

Catalan is not a dialect. Say that in Barcelona and you'll likely get shot. Not all Spaniards speak spanish either.

Cantonese(Yue) is not a dialect. It's a language in it's own right. Within it, you have Taishanese etc etc. The Wu language of which shanghainese is a dialect of is a language in it's own right. So is Suzhou-nese a dialect of Wu.

So please stop confusing people.
Before accusing someone of confusing people, you might as well give us some arguments to your stated points. I, on the other hand, gave some examples.

Definitions:
language
dialect
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.thefreedictionary.com/dialect
A variety of a language peculiar to a particular region or group within a larger community, usually but not always existing in the spoken form only.
May I ask how you write Cantonese or Hokkien or Hakka? Using Chinese characters which are recognised in the world as the official way of writing Mandarin. In other words, what I called dialects use the characters from Mandarin. They don't have their own form of writing. Alsatian only exists in spoken form to the contrary of Catalan.

It's true that you might get punched in the face in Barcelona for saying that Catalan is a dialect, but that is only because they're proud of their language and that they're not open-minded enough to accept it as a dialect. It's the same for calling a Basque a Spaniard. I've met some before. Before I knew where they come from, I heard them speaking Spanish so I asked if they were from Spain. They replied "NO!" and said that they were from Basque. Wonderful...

By the way, I'm NOT from Malaysia but I'm from Sarawak.

Anyway, could I please have some examples of Spaniards who don't speak Spanish?

That's how I see it from my understanding of the differences between the definition of the words "language" and "dialect".

Another way to see it is that every existing languages and dialects are actually dialects and they were all derived from the only language ever existed :

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
Zero willpower to come back,
Intensity is what I lack,
Now, how can I revive my soul?
Endlessness describes my journey,
Stranded, unable to be free,
Someone please save me!
stupidboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06233 seconds with 13 queries