View Single Post
babymekimmy
Super Junior Member

#7 Old 11-12-2012 Default Re: Advice Regarding Number of A Level Subjects

Quote:
Originally Posted by joan2468 View Post
Where will you be doing your A-levels? As far as I know only TAR College forces their students to take General Paper...it is technically a subject, but most universities discount it, so if you don't have to take it, I would suggest you don't.

You have the same subject combination as me (sans Maths, swap that with Biology). I'm doing Edexcel A-levels now and I should think it would really be burdensome if you had to deal with General Paper on top of your other subjects.
Then what about MQA? Doesn't other colleges require students to take that? I haven't decided on where exactly I would be doing my A-levels. You are doing yours at HELP or MCKL? So you are just taking those 4 subjects and nothing else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas92 View Post
Also, when choosing subjects, do make sure they're recognised by the unis...some so-called 'non-traditional' subjects don't look as good to unis. I'm not sure if Psychology is in this category, but I'm pretty sure it's not one of the 'traditional' subjects (which would be stuff like Maths, the Sciences, Economics, History, etc.). And some unis say they're alright with it, but may not be entirely supportive of it (see more specific student forums for this).

Lastly, note that when it comes to undergraduate Law or Psychology (and similar subjects), there's no need to have the corresponding A-Level subject - in fact studying at A-Level won't really help you much at all, so if you're interested in taking Psychology at A-Level because you may want to do it as a degree, know that it isn't really necessary.
Yes, thats the whole point of me wanting to study those 4 subjects, so I have something to fall back on. But I am not too sure if I can cope with them IF i have to deal with taking GP because then that would be 5 subs. But then again, you did so its sort of inspiring to know that it can be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joan2468 View Post
Psychology isn't really considered a "traditional" subject, but most universities don't mind it. I know a bunch of people who were admitted to places like Oxford, and took Psychology for A-levels. I would avoid taking A-level Law though, especially if you are planning to do law for your degree - most universities just seem averse to the idea somehow, so best not to risk it.
I also read on a few universities websites that they do not really recommend taking Law at A-levels because it might give students the wrong perception about law. But then again, a friend of mine who is taking Law said that most of the stuff learnt during A-level Law is repeated during the first year degree so it won't be that much of a struggle. So yeah, I am still undecided about this. Sigh.

I'm planning to go for a law degree, not psychology. But I find Psychology very interesting and I think I would love studying more about it. But it surprises me that tarc, bac and atc are not offering it. How do you find it so far?

Last edited by babymekimmy; 11-12-2012 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
babymekimmy is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06247 seconds with 13 queries