Thread: Vegan recipes
View Single Post
iKoMetaga Male
Super Junior Member

#2 Old 25-04-2011 Default Re: Vegan recipes

I'm not a vegetarian, but I once went on a three week vegan diet so I was forced to cook vegetarian dishes. I am quite fortunate to be living in a student coop as the walk-in fridge and pantry is almost always fully-stocked, so here's a dish I made after doing a little googling and improvisation

Ingredients:
3 1/2 C Vegetable Broth
1 C Uncooked Barley
1 C Button Mushrooms, sliced
1 C Diced Tomatoes, w/ juice
1/2 C Diced Onion
1 1/2 Tbsp Cooking Oil
2 Tbsp Cooking Wine (Can substitute for vinegar, but then use a lot less)
3/4 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1/2 C Chopped Almonds (Can substitute with peanuts)
1/2 Tsp Salt
1/4 Tsp Pepper
1/2 Tsp Paprika
1/2 Tsp Parsley

1. Make vegetable broth: Basically diluting vegetable stock (eg. Knorr vegetable stock) with water. There should be directions on the label describing the stock:water ratio to use)
2. Cook the barley in the vegetable broth. To cook barley, first bring vegetable broth to the boil, then add barley, cover the pot and let simmer for 35-45 minutes. But in this recipe we will be adding other ingredients while it cooks.
3. Add oil to skillet/wok and medium heat. Throw in onions and mushrooms, saute till onions are clear and mushrooms are soft. Then set aside.
4. Add tomatoes w/ juice to the cooking barley at the 25-minute mark. Close pot.
5. Mix cooking wine/vinegar and lemon juice, then add to the cooking barley at the 30th-minute mark. Also add all spices except parsley. Stir evenly. Close pot.
6. When barley is almost cooked (soft to the bite, with a slightly firm center), add in sauteed onions and mushrooms, chopped almonds/peanuts. Stir evenly.
7. Remove and place on plate. Garnish with parsley.

The final product should have a slightly wet consistency. If not, then my bad, I might have overguessed on the broth amount.

Overall this is a western kinda dish. But I think the ingredients can easily be found locally. The lemon juice might overpower the flavor so a little care on that. I've never tried the vinegar option but that was my best guess at a substitute for cooking wine.
iKoMetaga is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06755 seconds with 13 queries