Super Junior Member

#4 Old 05-12-2011 Default Re: Vegan recipes

Oven-Baked SATAY TOFU recipe credit: beki post

3 Tofu Bricks (Firm)
8-10 Bamboo Skewers

Marinade
1/3 C Vegetable Oil
1/3 C Indonesian Sweet Soy Sauce
1 tsp Coriander Powder @ serbuk...Ketumbar?
2 tsp TTumeric Powder @ kunyit
2 tsp Chilli Powder
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Sugar
6 Shallots @ bawang merah kecil
6 Cloves Garlic

Peanut Sauce
1 C Roasted Peanuts
10 Dried Chillies
2 Stalks Lemongrass
4 Shallots
5 Cloves Garlic
2 Inch Ginger
2 T Oil
1 T Sugar
1/2 C Indonesian Sweet Soy Sauce
1 C Water
1/2 C Tamarind Pulp Juice @ asam juice

Instructions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 deg F
2) Cut Tofu bricks into rectangular sizes. Bake in oven to dry the tofu out and harden it for 15 minutes. Once this step is down take tofu out and preheat to 450 def F
3) To prepare marinade, finely blend using mortal and pestle the shallots and garlic. Add spices (salt, coriander, kunyit, chilli powder) to the blended ingredients. Add vegetable oil, Sweet Soy Sauce and Sugar. Mix well.
4) Add marinade to tofu. Mix with marinade carefully to avoid breaking up tofu. Then marinade for 1-2 hours (Not sure if marinading longer will make a difference, I don't know if there even is a seepage rate for tofu)
5) In the meantime, to prepare peanut sauce, finely blend shallots, lemongrass, ginger, dried chillies including seeds and garlic. Be careful how you handle ginger and lemongrass, you don't want annoying fibrous hairs poking out from your sauce!)
6) Roughly crush peanuts till uniform, but not fine
7) Heat oil and add the blended ingredients. Fry the spices till fragrant, then add peanuts
Add liquid ingredients and bring to a simmer. Either simmer long time to thicken, or add corn starch + hot water blend (corn starch ew?). While waiting to thicken, proceed with next step...
9) Remove tofu from marinade and thread onto bamboo skewers. Baste with oil+sugar blend. Insert into the now 450 deg F oven. Bake for 20 min. At the 10th min mark, remove from oven, flip the tofu over, rebaste and re-insert into oven.
10) Serve with ketupat (if you know how to make them lawl, I know I don't) and cucumbers.

Note:
Measurements are within reasonable accuracy as I'm writing from memory.
I have not tried grilling them; I think it wouldn't turn out well.
Sorry for the non-SI measurements.
Slicking the tofu with some honey just before serving might be nice. Doing it while in the oven will just be a waste of the honey

Prolly non-related unless your a pescatarian, but does anyone have favorite online sites in the US to shop for Malaysian food products like sambal? I'm not always fortunate enough to have enough space to bring stuff during the rare moments that I go back home.

I found this site recently : http://www.malaysianfood.net/orderbelacan.htm
Anyone has any other sites in mind?

Last edited by iKoMetaga; 05-12-2011 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
iKoMetaga is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06276 seconds with 13 queries