ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education

Education This is the place where we would discuss anything about education issues!!!

Help about furthering studies

jialing10 Female
Less Junior Member

#31 Old 02-05-2012 Default Re: Help about furthering studies

Hi, I am new here. I was SPM leaver 2011 and planning to pursue STPM because I wish to study abroad for my degree(with scholarship because my family has financial constraint-so A-levels is out of the question). I am interested in economics and engineering too.

May I know which oversea universities are generous in offering full financial aids for international students? Or would it be better if I try to apply JPA 2014 PILN with my STPM? Really need your advice! Thank you in advance!
jialing10 is offline   Reply With Quote
adele123 Female

#32 Old 02-05-2012 Default Re: Help about furthering studies

just so you know, overseas university are not generous at all. really not easy
Slightly Senior Member

#33 Old 02-05-2012 Default Re: Help about furthering studies

Quote:
Originally Posted by chankitwck View Post
From what i read, it seems that:
1. Engineers mostly (but not always) act as the 'brain', thinking,researching and coming up with solutions and innovations.They do a little technical work sometimes but mostly limited to prototypes.

2.Engineering Technicians are the 'muscle', doing most of technical work involving assembling, machinery and heavy calculation.

Am i right?
If i am not really good in the practical part (machinery) but am good in the 'thinking and calculation' part , can I still become an engineeer?
[/color]
Yes, spot on. Thank you for taking the time to read up and research, It'll do you more justice than those who ask out of laziness. Being good at calculations and theory is one thing; you absolutely need to be practical. Not practical as in toying with the projects you come up with, but coming up with innovative solutions to everyday problems. Practical also brings the meaning of convenient in a way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jialing10 View Post
Hi, I am new here. I was SPM leaver 2011 and planning to pursue STPM because I wish to study abroad for my degree(with scholarship because my family has financial constraint-so A-levels is out of the question). I am interested in economics and engineering too.

May I know which oversea universities are generous in offering full financial aids for international students? Or would it be better if I try to apply JPA 2014 PILN with my STPM? Really need your advice! Thank you in advance!
seriously don't keep spamming all the threads. someone will eventually reply you and I just did. say what you need to say in one relevant thread

Psalms 126 : 5
"Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy."

Interested in finding me? Add me up facebook

Last edited by frostbyte13; 02-05-2012 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
frostbyte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
frankchong

#34 Old 02-05-2012 Default Re: Help about furthering studies

Some of the discussions here can be quite funny, if it is not taken seriously. However, the disturbing part is that these miscontrued notions are used for career planning.

1. Chankitwck: "Say , when you work as an engineer, do you like, build circuits and chips and handle all the hardware and tools like workers in the factory ; assembling and testing stuff ..."
If you build systems in the 1960s, 1970s and as a hobby, this is true. When digital systems are built from simple circuits. Today most of the circuitry are built into the ICs (Integrated Circuits), which can have literally billions of components each. Yes, we still build system boards, but that is not where most engineers spend their time on.
Most of the design work is done for the circuitry inside the ICs, the calculations were done by hand and calculators in the 60s and early 70s, but sine then it has been taken over mostly by computers. However, the engineers still have to come up with the equivalent circuits to create the topology in the computer simulator. Gate delay in advance processes is in the order of 20 pS (picosecond), these gates are too fast and small for you to see and measure on a printed circuit board.
When you connect the chips together, you need to send signal from one IC to another IC, you need to create circuit model to study switching noise, cross talk between wires ...
The circuits are design with the help of computers, simulated in a computer, in the case of a CPU, in modern designs, the full logic function of the chip is build in a computer (software) to simulate its intended function and have it debugged before commitment to build in a IC. Most of the circuits and logic will be debugged before it is physically build.

2. A relatively simple example:
Take the case of sending 2 high speed signals from one IC to another IC. If you send a signal, you need the signal line and a return path. The return path can be the metal shield in a coaxial cable, the ground plane in a Printed Circuit Board (PCB). Take the case of two traces running over a ground plane on a PCB, you need to calculate the per unit length inductance, capacitance and resistance of the traces to determine the transmission characterestics of the traces. The coupling capacitance and inductance per unit length between the 2 lines to compute cross talk noice between the two traces. If not designed properly, when you send a high speed signal on one line, it can be coupled onto the other line giving a false signal at the destination. When you send signals on the traces, if the source and destinations are not terminated properly, you will get unwanted reflections. If the lines are resistive, the transmission speed will be limited by trace resistance and capacitance.
I hope you get the idea.

3. From frostbyte13: "1. Engineering 101 ..."
If you are not strong in the fundamentals, you cann't even understand or try to solve the problem in 2 above. If you think you can give the calculations to the technicians, you are just dreaming. The capacitance and inductance calculation involves solving Laplace Equation in 3 dimension with odd shaped structures and in some cases in non homogenious media. However, once the problem is solved and the correct rules established, you can set up design guide lines for other to follow, but if you are the engineer, you have to come up with the guide lines. In the past we had to write the Laplace solver ourselves, now you can buy the solver, and you can use the solver to build the equivalent circuit.
Unfortunately, you will hear a lot of conflicting input from the so called engineer and engineering lecturer. Fact of the matter is, most probably they have never work as a design engineer before and do not understand how most of today's state of the art products are designed and developed.
If you are in a support function, the input from some of these engineers and engineering lecturers are correct, but then that is why Malaysia is stuck in the low value added section of the food chain. All the talk about innovation etc is meaningless, if you do not have the skills to solve the front end problems.

4. If your fear is that you are not very strong in hands on skill, it is not that bad, you can choose to concentrate on areas that is more theoretical. However, if you do not like to use the computer a lot and learn how to use it effectively, you are seriously limitting yourself. I really can not see a bright future for engineer of computer scientist if he/she can not make effective use of the most important tool in their profession.

5. It is utterly nonsense to say that engineers do little technical work. The engineers that do little technical work are not working as an engineer. They may have an engineering degree, but that does not mean they are real engineers eventhough a lot of them want to claim they are. In Malaysia, a lot of them can get away with it, because engineering solutions are bought, not developed in Malaysia most of the time.

6. You you are good in thinking and calculations, if you can only think, you better be a philosopher. If you are good in calculations, you better be better than a computer or you better learn how to use a computer effectively. If you are good in thinking, good in calculations and good in using computers to help you in the calculations, the future is very bright.

Frank
frankchong is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frankchong For This Useful Post:
frostbyte13 Male
Slightly Senior Member

#35 Old 02-05-2012 Default Re: Help about furthering studies

thanks frank do bare in mind that I am still just a student, so of course. I am exposed to opinions from so many sides of the field so I just choose to believe what is right. Perhaps I should not have mentioned that heavy calculation was for technicians alone after reading my post. I think there was a mistake there or I misunderstood one word that the lecturer mentioned. I only met him once, and he's an overseas lecturer.

Either way, it's always best to get your facts right from the right people. And here is one. It's always a pleasure to be corrected and know more about the reality of situation outside classrooms before going to work yourself.

Psalms 126 : 5
"Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy."

Interested in finding me? Add me up facebook

Last edited by frostbyte13; 02-05-2012 at 05:09 PM.
frostbyte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
frankchong

#36 Old 03-05-2012 Default Re: Help about furthering studies

frostbyte13,
It is important you speak up what is in your mind, and I should not be too politically correct as not to share what I have seen decades in engineering in large MNCs, high tech start ups. Otherwise we will not have real and useful conversations. Even if you are not an engineer but in a organization that need real engineering talent to create competitive high technology products, in departments like HR, law, finance ..., you should know what talents are hard to get and you have to help develop as part of the larger organization.
In all successful industrial products, the number of users far out number the creators of these products, most people do not really know what is involved in creating these products, some only see the back end process where these products are assembled if at all. They see little relationship between what they study in universities to their work.

Best regards,
Frank
frankchong is offline   Reply With Quote