ReCom.org
Singapore Talk about everything regarding this neighbor of ours

NUS, NTU or SMU?

kintaro_kun
Slightly Senior Member

#61 Old 31-05-2008 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx View Post
Is it easy for d Malaysian with SAM TER>95 to be accepted in any course in SMU?? (esp economics)

Please make the replay asap..
thx a lot!
SMU requires interviews apart from academic excellence. so, TER 95 is not the only factor to be considered.

#62 Old 10-08-2008 Default

SMU is seeking for a well rounded individual. Good command of english is an added advantage.

~I love this quote~
Caprio is offline   Reply With Quote
Eurytos Male

#63 Old 10-08-2008 Default

SMU are for business and law students. Personally i would prefer NUS double degree in engineering and economics over NTU Actuarial Science. But there are alot to take into factor too. So i guess i will take whatever is offered.
Super Junior Member

#64 Old 22-03-2009 Lightbulb Re: NUS, NTU or SMU?

For those who are interested in learning about life in Nanyang Technological University, or NTU in Singapore. There is a website showing photo galleries of events and places in NTU. It gives you a rough idea of facilities and life in NTU.

It is at
www.phototour.sg

Especially for the NTU Open House Event 2009 L.I.F.E @ NTU.
http://www.phototour.sg/Events/NTU_O...BS_lounge.html

Its supposed to be a day where Undergraduates come to NTU to get to know about NTU.
There are exhibitions of student clubs and also booths for various schools.

The following Images are from NTU Open House 2009

Hope this will help those who are choosing which university to enroll in.

Selau1 is offline   Reply With Quote
kfc Male
Less Junior Member

#65 Old 11-04-2009 Default Re: NUS, NTU or SMU?

ntu no good, im studying now in ntu...now running to other uni
kfc is offline   Reply With Quote
luminodreamer89

#66 Old 11-04-2009 Default Re: NUS, NTU or SMU?

why would u say so, kfc?? I am applying to NTU actually and feel kinda shocked to hear u say so..do tell me, plszz
luminodreamer89 is offline   Reply With Quote
markwongsk Male
Developer

#67 Old 11-04-2009 Default Re: NUS, NTU or SMU?

yea people say NTU is the ASEAN MIT... don't scare me now =( what's wrong with NTU???
markwongsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Eurytos Male

#68 Old 11-04-2009 Default Re: NUS, NTU or SMU?

LOL i applied for pure physics in NTU and science in NUS. Kindly elaborate more on why NTU is no longer a good U ?
Less Junior Member

#69 Old 11-04-2009 Default Re: NUS, NTU or SMU?

I dont know why he says NTU is not a good university. From what I can see in the past 8 months, NTU is actually quite good. Not the top in the world, but can still be considered among the best in Asia(especially Nanyang Business School).

Engineering wise, NTU is not bad, in my opinion. Although I think we learned less compared to local U in the first year, we should be able to catch up. The professors here are ok, but some from China are not so fluent in English. So you may have problem understanding their lecture. They are knowledgeable in science and maths though.

Studying in NTU is also more competitive than local U. Here, you can see a lot of very good students from ASEAN, China and India. You will be forced to work hard if you want to maintain a good grade.

In the end, it is all up to you. If you can get a better offer, by all means go ahead. But NTU is definitely not a bad university and I am looking forward to seeing you guys here.
amoebaleong is offline   Reply With Quote
ice111
Less Junior Member

#70 Old 11-04-2009 Default Re: NUS, NTU or SMU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfc View Post
ntu no good, im studying now in ntu...now running to other uni
Woh , kfc where are you going? , which university you plan to jump into???
MIT , Harvard , CALTECH , Georgia Institute of Tech???

Congratz , if you manage to transfer to any of this university!!!

Hmmm , NTU no good??? , well i do agree with you , if you say NTU is no good ;
first , there is no guarantee of a hall stay in NTU , if you dint not join any CCA(co curricular activities) or meet the Cut off Point , this is a drawback of NTU , every year , residents have to compete to stay in a hall!!!

second, NTU has a very high tuition fee , if you cant get a grant from the MOE SG , the tuition fee plus your living allowance can easily cost you about RM 60k per year (that fro Mech Eng , ~SD 24k per year tuition fee)

third , NTU has a crazy life style = if you sleep at 12 am , i believe you are the earliest guy sleeping in NTU , even though you walk to the toilet from your room at 2am , if you see everyone awakes!!! , NTU is packed not only with the syllabus but with a lot of CCA , and social gathering(if you are active person ,if you are introvert , then you will have plenty of time to spend for the 3 months bfr exam)

4th , being the top in NTU is crazy , competing with the best students in ASEAN , most of the students from foreign countries are either the top in their countries , or they are Olympiad medalist!!!

5th , to obtain CPGA 5.0 in NTU , you will have to be the best of the best not only in academic but in everything ,which means you are perfect!!! , every year <1% got CPGA 5.0!!!

hahaha , NTU is quite bad right???
ice111 is offline   Reply With Quote