ReCom.org
Singapore Talk about everything regarding this neighbor of ours

interviews in NUS

JH
Super Junior Member

#1 Old 23-02-2006 Default interviews in NUS

!!!! Can anyone tell me their experiences of going through the interviews & tests in NUS ? (be it medicine or dentistry/nursing/law/architecture/industrial design..)
JH is offline   Reply With Quote
TiongHY
Super Junior Member

#2 Old 01-08-2006 Default

I had 4 A's (Chem, Physics, PA and Math) and a Band 5 in English (Screw ulu teachers who can't even speak properly and dare to test me on my spoken English!!!) When I applied for Law I had to write a personal statement of some sort, telling them why I deserve to study Law in NUS. I believe this personal statement carries a lot of weight as to whether or not you are called up for the interview.

On the day of the interview I was stuck in front of a professor and an associate professor who just smiled at me (Somewhat ominously?? Or was that my imagination?). I just smiled and wished them good morning and introduced myself.

They asked me seemingly pointless questions pertaining to my school results and the subjects I have taken. This was surprising because after all, they were holding the photostated copies of my results in their hands for a few minutes before I even entered the room. After that were a few questions about my family, my hometown and my school. My best guess is that they were just trying to test my confidence and the standard of my spoken English.

Next came the "shock & awe" phase. I recall asking other candidates what they were asked and there was always a part like this which left them speechless. They asked me if the teaching of Mandarin in Malaysia closed the doors towards social integration. I was quite surprised but nonetheless said yes. They then grilled me on my reasons for studying Mandarin in school even when I'm aware of the social implications. Everything from then on got kind of messy but I managed to crawl out with some semblance of dignity. They complimented me so I'm guessing I aced it.

The next day was the written test. It wasn't anything special, just an essay to write. My personal belief is that it isn't what you argue about, it's how you push your points and your opinions. There's no real point putting down the question unless you're aiming for Law here in NUS because the question is closely related to the subject of Law. There are currently 5 Malaysians admitted into Law this year out of 240 students. This is exceedingly high considering last year only had 2 Malaysians admitted into LAW, both through JC.No STPM students admitted that year. My year should have about 2-3 STPM students I think. I just matriculated yesterday so I'll find out soon enough.

Wish you all the best.
TiongHY is offline   Reply With Quote
cwteh87
Less Junior Member

#3 Old 30-04-2007 Default

hmz....i would like to ask, have anyone received any calls for interview for the NUS scholarship? that would actually be the ASEAN undergraduate scholarship. thx in advance.
cwteh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
jiinjoo Male
Anchors

#4 Old 06-05-2007 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiongHY
On the day of the interview I was stuck in front of a professor and an associate professor who just smiled at me (Somewhat ominously?? Or was that my imagination?). I just smiled and wished them good morning and introduced myself.
Queer? LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiongHY
Next came the "shock & awe" phase. I recall asking other candidates what they were asked and there was always a part like this which left them speechless. They asked me if the teaching of Mandarin in Malaysia closed the doors towards social integration. I was quite surprised but nonetheless said yes. They then grilled me on my reasons for studying Mandarin in school even when I'm aware of the social implications. Everything from then on got kind of messy but I managed to crawl out with some semblance of dignity. They complimented me so I'm guessing I aced it.
Wow, that's a good question. I would to argue that the questions should have come in two part to better reflect reality. Teaching Mandarin in itself doesn't close the door towards social integration. In fact, if every student in the country had equal access to mandarin teachers, we would have been closer as most malays and indians would appreciate more of what the chinese are doing.

Teaching mandarin is Current Style is the problem - the style I'm referring to here is the independent school model (why no malays in independence school?), the SRJK(C) model (what the heck is "Jenis"...), the POL model (why do I have to go to school on Saturdays?) If the language were to be taught it should have been available to every student who wants to take it. Go ahead nd make it an elective, but it shouldn't be deprived in any sense to anybody.

btw, congrats on your good interview. You want to hear some crazy S'porean Oxford law students arguments? So sign up youngrepublic yahoogroups and just receive a few weeks of emails, and you'll know why the interviews are like that... haha
jiinjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
jiinjoo Male
Anchors

#5 Old 06-05-2007 Default

Oh and welcome to recom TiongHY
jiinjoo is offline   Reply With Quote