ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Malaysia Today

Malaysia Today Discussion about issues related to Malaysian politics and economy.

Bullet Train from KL to Singapore

View Poll Results: Yes Or No To Bullet Train.
yes. 17 77.27%
no. 4 18.18%
I dono. 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

day_dreamer Male
Slightly Senior Member

#1 Old 04-08-2006 Default Bullet Train from KL to Singapore

Imagine ReCom as a minimized cabinet. Every ReComer is a cabinet minister. Let's discuss it a.l.a. Parliament.

OK ! I agree with the suggestion. The bullet train project would bring prosper to Malaysia. My points are the following :

~ The bullet train will bring development to the shopping sector in KL. Singaporeans will be flocking to KL as goods are cheaper. Great flow in of cash.

~ The construction will bring jobs to Malaysians. ( Hopefully Sammy don't bring in any Indons or Bangla )

~ The bullet train will add another point to Malaysia for being recognised as a developed country. If i am not mistaken, it will be under the physical development requirement.

~ Malaysian can boast around ASEAN as the 1st country with bullet train. ( Look, we better be fast or else Thailand will catch up )

~ The bullet train could benefits every town along the railway in terms of economy.

~ If the singaporeans don't want the train over their side, fine, we'll build it untill Johor Bharu.

Come on !! Let's SUPPORT !!!

With this, ended the speech of Datook Day_Dreamer.
day_dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
__earth Male

#2 Old 04-08-2006 Default

MAS would probably disagree because the bullet train thing would hurt their volume.
youngyew Male
ReCom Addict
Administrator

#3 Old 04-08-2006 Default

Eerm, there are a few points to consider...

Is Malaysian stuff really so much cheaper than Singapore stuff? The last time I heard that there are cheaper sports wear in Singapore.

Is bullet train going to be viable in long term? Just look at our LRT.. good concepts, but bad execution. They are still losing money. Are we financially strong enough to sustain such a mega project?

Bullet train is not really going to benefit all the town along the railway... The purpose of bullet train is to connect 2 or more faraway cities with high-speed transportation, so there aren't going to be many stops. It will be more likely KL -> Seremban -> JB / Singapore. If we build more stops, it wouldn't be attractive and cost efficient. Braking the train takes power as well.

There are still other technical problems like noise pollution etc. View more information here.

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
youngyew is offline   Reply With Quote
jayden

#4 Old 04-08-2006 Default

I actually agree with the project. However you have to admit that it does have certain pros and cons.

pros
-It would be easier for us Malaysians to go to Singapore. It's another mode of transportation there instead of cars or busses or planes.
-The old money flowing into the country factor with more Singaporeans coming here and spending more money$$$

cons
-If managed badly, it would create a controversy. We are going to spend a lot of money on it so if it's not as great as expected... trouble. The LRT and KTM is OK actually it just have problems once in a while:no air-cond, pickpockets..etc. Happens everywhere though, not only confined to trains (I take both these trains every week)
-I wouldn't actually expect a bullet train to have many stops. Based on the name aren't bullet trains supposed to whizz past from place to place? Just focus on the fact that it exists and it'll be easier to travel although you might have to travel to the station
jayden is offline   Reply With Quote
weich
Anchors

#5 Old 04-08-2006 Default

Depending on the price of a ticket, i think not only more Singaporeans will come over but also tourists, so it might be good as well.

Certain things like groceries, eating out, entertainment is cheaper in Malaysia i think.
weich is offline   Reply With Quote
Thirdshifter
Super Moderator
Forum Moderator

#6 Old 04-08-2006 Default

if you build it they will come.

I know i'd rather take a 90 minute ride to singapore then go through airport security.
Thirdshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
__earth Male

#7 Old 04-08-2006 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngyew
Eerm, there are a few points to consider...

Is Malaysian stuff really so much cheaper than Singapore stuff? The last time I heard that there are cheaper sports wear in Singapore.
I'm sure average cost of living in Malaysian is lower than in Singapore though I'm not sure how KL fares against Singapore. Probably the about the same.

But one thing for sure, greater interaction between two places will make respective prices at the places to slowly converges into one.

But I love the idea because either way, it's going to be built by a private firm, not the government.
strikingstar

#8 Old 04-08-2006 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _earth
MAS would probably disagree because the bullet train thing would hurt their volume.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought they're operating domestic flights at a loss? Didn't they just reduce the number of domestic flights recently? If that's the case, they can now concentrate on improving their international flights then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngyew
Depends on what kind of goods you're talking about. If it's brand name clothes for example, I look at S'pore and I look at KL and I find brands like ck to be cheaper in S'pore. Especially when they have 50% discounts during the 3-month long great S'pore sale. Must grab. Greater variety too. But I bet none of these can beat warehouse sales in the US. Lagi must grab.

Generally, food is probably slightly cheaper in M'sia just based on the conversion rate. And I find M'sian food to be better. Or maybe I'm just being biased.

I think it's more important that the bullet train improves connectivity in the Peninsula. Like from JB to Perlis. Perhaps the bullet train could stop once in each state along the way. Maybe connect to the East Coast as well.
strikingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
__earth Male

#9 Old 04-08-2006 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by strikingstar
Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought they're operating domestic flights at a loss? Didn't they just reduce the number of domestic flights recently? If that's the case, they can now concentrate on improving their international flights then.
A KL-Singapore bullet train would compete with MAS KL-Singapore route. That means, less income for MAS.
strikingstar

#10 Old 04-08-2006 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by __earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikingstar
Quote:
A KL-Singapore bullet train would compete with MAS KL-Singapore route. That means, less income for MAS.
Is that route really profitable? Anyway, shouldn't our priority be the betterment of the people, not the betterment of MAS?

As Third said above, the bullet train is probably going to be more convenient than plane.
strikingstar is offline   Reply With Quote