ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Malaysia Today

Malaysia Today Discussion about issues related to Malaysian politics and economy.

Parliament dissolved, elections in March

vseehua
The Student
Administrator

#1 Old 13-02-2008 Default Parliament dissolved, elections in March

Badawi just have to do it, the parliament was just dissolved today to pave way for a new round of general elections. Details here.

Personally, Badawi just did a big lie to us by assuring that the parliament isn't going to be dissolved today and then making such an announcement.

And with the issues surrounding the government and the oppositions as well, if you are an eligible voter, who will you vote for and why?

It is always good to be naive, for when we cease to be naive, it is the end of life as we know it!

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
vseehua is offline   Reply With Quote
Appolo

#2 Old 14-02-2008 Default

The answer is simply.

I'll vote for someone who lived up to his word in assisting the people to achieve greater heights.
Appolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Caprio

#3 Old 14-02-2008 Default

I am just wondering how can Badawi made such a big lie?
By the way, vseehua, are you sure the election will be held on March? Normally the election is held two weeks after the parliament is dissolved, which will be on the late February.
Caprio is offline   Reply With Quote
jayden

#4 Old 14-02-2008 Default

It's actually within 60 days of the parliament being dissolved actually, which gives them much more than two weeks.

Frankly rumors about the GE has been flying around since December 2007. I'm not surprised by them suddenly announcing that the parliament is dissolved.

I'm not of voting age yet but obviously we should vote for people who do their jobs well, actions speak louder than words. Some of those who always appear on TV with stupid comments which lead to controversial, chauvinistic, insulting (yet utterly amusing in a weird way) moments should never be allowed to retain their seats unless they can get their head into the game. No wonder there are so many politicians jokes around.

And of course, I'm sure SPM and STPM students (I'm one of them) will be hoping that the bars will be moved to give better grades. I'm not sure whether this lowering or increasing the graph stuff is true or not, but we can always hope, yeah.
jayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Leen
Peacemaker
Administrator

#5 Old 14-02-2008 Default

Wow, it's GE time again.

For those of you who sat for SPM 2007, enjoy this year of prosperity.
Leen is offline   Reply With Quote
vseehua
The Student
Administrator

#6 Old 14-02-2008 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden
And of course, I'm sure SPM and STPM students (I'm one of them) will be hoping that the bars will be moved to give better grades. I'm not sure whether this lowering or increasing the graph stuff is true or not, but we can always hope, yeah.
While it's always better to get good grades, hoping that the bar being lowered to create an artificial impression that you are doing that good isn't good for the country at all.

Every time there is an election there will be an jump in the number of students who gets the "excellent" grades which doesn't reflect the actual situation at all. Do you really think you are "that" good? Instead, do your best in the exams and hope for the best, not for someone to politically "lower the bar" for you.

It is always good to be naive, for when we cease to be naive, it is the end of life as we know it!

Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
jiinjoo Male
Anchors

#7 Old 14-02-2008 Default

grade inflation is just as bad as price inflation
jiinjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
jayden

#8 Old 14-02-2008 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vseehua
Every time there is an election there will be an jump in the number of students who gets the "excellent" grades which doesn't reflect the actual situation at all. Do you really think you are "that" good? Instead, do your best in the exams and hope for the best, not for someone to politically "lower the bar" for you.
No no I don't think I'm 'that' good. It's just like in the SPM where they always say the graph is moved accordingly to give 'better' standards. Like when a person who usually fails in a subject suddenly finds that he has got a B. On one hand, he may have studied very hard to pull his grades up. On the other hand, the bar might have been moved creating an altered reality, so to speak.

I have done my best and I am hoping for the best but I can't help but worry. Tell anyone who is waiting for government exam results that the GE is around the time that the results are out and most likely the first thing they think about is 'the graph will be manipulated!'. News like this is flying through SMS creating hope in people.

As a STPM student, we tend to worry more because of the fight to get places in public universities. Not being able to get into a public uni would mean other alternatives and higher loans.

But then again, everyone's grade increases as well so in the end there is not much difference in the general sense, but it just might make a person feel better about themselves in a way.
jayden is offline   Reply With Quote
vseehua
The Student
Administrator

#9 Old 14-02-2008 Default

if in the end everything will be the same, then why worry so much about it? The period after SPM and STPM are some of the best times to relax before the stresses of uni and to an extension working comes rolling in...

If you did your best, your results will show ;)

Anyway, back to the topic... Who will win the election and by what majority?

If you are eligible to vote, do come out and do it. It IS our country, and WE should have a say on who's the boss...

starlemon
Slightly Senior Member

#10 Old 15-02-2008 Default

I will vote for a political leader who is caring for our's need , show great leaderships, can solve all political problems without any commotions . This is what the qualities that must be possesed by upcoming leaders so they will most likely to be voted by cityfolks.
starlemon is offline   Reply With Quote