ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Malaysia Today

Malaysia Today Discussion about issues related to Malaysian politics and economy.

When did the cold war end?

Smilehoe

#1 Old 13-11-2008 Default When did the cold war end?

the star
Najib
Quote:
Touching on an example, he said, he was struck by a question at his daughter?s university that asked if the Cold War had ended, a question which even he would have difficulty answering.
It shocked me when I came across this. Is there another interpretation of the cold war, which suggests that it hadn't ended with the collapse of Soviet Union?
Smilehoe is offline   Reply With Quote
youngyew Male
ReCom Addict
Administrator

#2 Old 14-11-2008 Default Re: When the cold war ended?

I think many sources point to the collapse of Soviet Union and the Malta Summit as the end of cold war, but I am not the resident historian so I would love to hear from others about this issue. (I could have gone to wikipedia and done some research myself but don't have time for now )

By the way I noted an interesting statement in the same news:
Quote:
“Malaysians are very good at rote learning. They spend hours learning,” he said, adding that society too was often passive sometimes out of a sense of respect for the other especially if he or she was more senior.
If you rote-learn, you are not "learning". You are memorising. So the second statement was a bit of a wrong statement.

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
youngyew is offline   Reply With Quote
joofei

#3 Old 14-11-2008 Default Re: When the cold war ended?

I suppose even now the Cold War is going on? Countries are still competing among themselves to be the best...
joofei is offline   Reply With Quote
vikraman Male
Slightly Senior Member

#4 Old 14-11-2008 Default Re: When the cold war ended?

The Cold War's official end is December 31, 1991. It ended with the collapse of the USSR into 15 separate states. (However I feel that it ended far earlier. When Gorbachev came to power and advocated "peresteroika and glasnost" the influence of the Soviet Union was already waning..)

Hope that answers your question.

Joofei - Right now, there are two main wars going on, The war for oil (in iraq) and the war against al-qaeda (in afghanistan/pakistan). Russia is much friendlier to the West and it is impossible to see any more major wars between major powers in the future. Consider this, If Russia attacks Western Europe, it would lose its market for oil and natural gas thus causing it to run out of money very quickly and the war would come to an abrupt end. If China were to attack Japan/Taiwan/USA it would immediately collapse because it has no resources of it own to shout about. It mainly relies on Australian metals and African oil. A war effort would cause both of these supplies to immediately shut down and China would be left high and dry. Western European powers/India/USA are all democratic countries where their administration and military are fully accountable to the voters and the separation of powers is deeply ingrained so waging war (except on self defense) will not happen in the foreseeable future.
vikraman is offline   Reply With Quote
davidchak

#5 Old 15-11-2008 Default Re: When the cold war ended?

However, I prefer a bipolar world than a mono one
davidchak is offline   Reply With Quote
youngyew Male
ReCom Addict
Administrator

#6 Old 15-11-2008 Default Re: When the cold war ended?

You mean you prefer a balanced power rather than a hegemony?

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
youngyew is offline   Reply With Quote
Zeroth

#7 Old 15-11-2008 Default Re: When the cold war ended?

Anyone thinks a unified world is possible in the future?
Zeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
bluez_aspic
Slightly Senior Member

#8 Old 16-11-2008 Default Re: When the cold war ended?

Depends what you mean by 'unified' - countries having open borders and free markets (e.g. 19th century - early 20th century); or countries surrendering their national sovereignty to form a super state (e.g. the European Union, Star Wars Galactic Republic).

The difference might seem subtle, but one celebrates the classical liberal ideas of individual freedom, private property, impartial rule of law, and freedom of trade; the other imposes an overarching state bureaucracy and centralizes power in the hands of an elite few - in short, central statism, collectivism, and fascism.
bluez_aspic is offline   Reply With Quote
Smilehoe

#9 Old 16-11-2008 Default Re: When the cold war ended?

The former is better, if most things can be operated under the free market system. That kind of world system sounds Utopian, where most people are civilized and rationale enough to know what is best for themselves and the community.

The second one, er... GDI, anyone?
Smilehoe is offline   Reply With Quote
bluez_aspic
Slightly Senior Member

#10 Old 16-11-2008 Default Re: When the cold war ended?

History shows that societies flourish and everyone benefits when there's free passage of humans, ideas, capital, goods. I don't think we'll see that in our lifetime again - unless some space-time anomaly transports us to a galaxy far far away where we can start anew.
bluez_aspic is offline   Reply With Quote