ReCom.org
Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate Post your questions on these topics ONLY

advices in entering medic course

tank18
Super Junior Member

#1 Old 22-01-2009 Default advices in entering medic course

I had just received the muet result..not bad-band 4!!
so with this result,is it possible to enter medic??ukm or um??
or due to extremely high competition,am i advisable to change course?
by the way,i am a matric student and hold quite several posts in student bodies..so i dont think koku marks will be a factor...i also managed to score 4.0 for my first sem..your advices are much appreciated...
tank18 is offline   Reply With Quote
starlemon
Slightly Senior Member

#2 Old 22-01-2009 Default Re: advices in entering medic course

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank18 View Post
by the way,i am a matric student and hold quite several posts in student bodies..so i dont think koku marks will be a factor...i also managed to score 4.0 for my first sem..your advices are much appreciated...
Your chances are pretty high provided that you work hard and hit a 4 flat again in the coming semester 2. As far as i know, medicine is a very competitive course among Matric students as most of those who get 4 flat would choose this competitive course. I am not very sure about the selection process but as long as you pass the cut off point , you are elligible and qualified to apply for that.
By the way, just to reveal you some facts and tipbits . The high number of students pursuing medicine course each year has lead to an oversaturaton of graduates for the coming years. I read about the news stating that shortages of doctors can be felt now and then, but in future, particularly in the coming near future, 2015 , we would be able to reach the proportion of 1:600 doctor to patients ratio.Thus the demand may not be very high in future. However, many bright students are opting medicine course despite their interest.it is pretty ironical nowadays. As a result of that, they suffer.
Go for it and stike hard if and only if you have the passion and interest to do so.Good luck!
Miracle_seed
Super Moderator
Forum Moderator

#3 Old 22-01-2009 Default Re: advices in entering medic course

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank18 View Post
MUET result doesn't matter much in university application, there are quite some students with Band 3 end up getting medical course. Your results matter the most, and don't take co-curricular activities lightly, it plays an important role as it weighs 10%, since most students who apply for medicine have CGPA 4.0 in hand, most of the time co-curricular activities is the tie-breaker. However, last year there were quite some cases where students with CGPA less than 4.0 successful enroll into medical course, so even with slightly lower CGPA, chance is still there.

For your information, if your are referring to the competition to get a place in desired course, pharmacy is even more competitive than medicine, due to limited places. There are more than 1000 places offered for medicine every year, in 8 public universities, compared to a mere 3 universities offering pharmacy. Anyway, interest should be the main determining factor in choosing the course.

Miracles happen everyday
Miracle_seed is offline   Reply With Quote
studtum Female
Super Junior Member

#4 Old 11-02-2009 Default Re: advices in entering medic course

Have you considered studying medicine somewhere else? There are lots of medical courses abroad that may have lower requirements to get in, and that way you are also directly eligible to practice medicine in for example all of Europe (if you study within the EU).
studtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Zeroth

#5 Old 11-02-2009 Default Re: advices in entering medic course

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlemon View Post
The high number of students pursuing medicine course each year has lead to an oversaturaton of graduates for the coming years. I read about the news stating that shortages of doctors can be felt now and then, but in future, particularly in the coming near future, 2015 , we would be able to reach the proportion of 1:600 doctor to patients ratio.Thus the demand may not be very high in future. However, many bright students are opting medicine course despite their interest.it is pretty ironical nowadays. As a result of that, they suffer.
I disagree, the shortages of medical staff is a very pressing matter both now and in the future. Unlike other streams like engineering or life sciences, the demand for medical graduates increases yearly due to the corresponding growth of population and the increasing demands of medical care. This is especially the case for many countries facing the problem of ageing population as these people require additional care.
Zeroth is offline   Reply With Quote