ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Malaysia Today

Malaysia Today Discussion about issues related to Malaysian politics and economy.

Reasons why I believe Chinese-Malaysians are racist.

masterof_none
Administrator
Administrator

#171 Old 27-02-2009 Default Re: Reasons why I believe Chinese-Malaysians are racist.

I'm sorry, but I'm not even hopeful of education as a long term solution, as long as our school of (Jenis) is still there.

The solution is this: Everyone should all go to National School. Get rid of the "Jenis" school.

Our racial unity is currently facing disintegration due to this very policy of splitting up kids according to race in their schools.

Hence, our racist race.

When will we have more David Armugams of Alleycats and Sudirmans Hj Arshad when one gang watch Indonesian drama, one gang watch Taiwanese shows, and one gang watch Shivaji da boss?

Last edited by masterof_none; 27-02-2009 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
masterof_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Throne911 Male
Super Junior Member

#172 Old 27-02-2009 Default Re: Reasons why I believe Chinese-Malaysians are racist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdshifter View Post
I specifically called her a "racist pig" just to get my point across at the end of the conversation. Unless I missed the connotation of pig = chinese in malaysia, I think it was justified. Call a spade a spade. Life is easier.

There is just no if or buts. The issue is simple. Many disagree with it and a little action goes further than no action at all.

I completely agree with your long term solution. Education is important. However the short term goal is to make those racist life a little harder.
How does calling someone a pig makes you any less racist?? can somebody pls enlighten me? Its like me calling a Malay...pukimak...babi etc. Its still the same racist tone!! Don't you see your own hypocrisy...on one hand you are asking the employers to not be racist...and on the other you are using the same racial undertone.

You are also shooting the wrong person.....you are suppose to talk to the boss..not the clerk !!! How sure are you that the boss himself / herself is a chinese? it could be an Indian / a Malay / dll. What do you suppose the clerk will do ? tell the boss and endanger thier own rice bowl?

It is as good as anyone of us complaining about the slow delivery system in the government to the counter clerk..but we know nothing will be done.
You agreed that education is important.....but education in calling a race as pigs ?? Now I know of another reason why our education system is going to the dogs.

A little action that does not result in any changes is like trying to destroy a concrete wall with raw eggs.
Throne911 is offline   Reply With Quote
youngyew Male
ReCom Addict
Administrator

#173 Old 27-02-2009 Default Re: Reasons why I believe Chinese-Malaysians are racist.

I actually agree with having a singular schooling system in theory. Of course that requires a careful planning with a background of mutual trust.

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
youngyew is offline   Reply With Quote
bluez_aspic
Slightly Senior Member

#174 Old 27-02-2009 Default Re: Reasons why I believe Chinese-Malaysians are racist.

It is nice in theory (and I also agree that existing arrangements do contribute to racial schism), but I am wary of such ideas.

Who is going to determine what goes into your child's head, who teaches your child, and influence the development of his character and personality?

So far Malaysian state education has successfully zombified kids to be 'good' citizens - i.e. obedient and compliant to the status quo. Sure, they can do some math and are taught to read, but discouraged from challenging what they read. This problem is less acute among Chinese schools i.m.o. - Chinese Indept High & Perak ones are definitely rebel strongholds

Soon this unification idea can be extended to having one religion, one belief, one political party... in the name of unity, of course.

btw how many people here would patronize a Japanese restaurant with an Indian sushi chef + Burmese waiters?

Last edited by bluez_aspic; 27-02-2009 at 10:35 AM.
bluez_aspic is offline   Reply With Quote
Zeroth

#175 Old 27-02-2009 Default Re: Reasons why I believe Chinese-Malaysians are racist.

I believe abolishing jenis schools and introducing compulsary education of the student's mother tongues would work, just like how Singapore is doing.
Zeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
masterof_none
Administrator
Administrator

#176 Old 27-02-2009 Default Re: Reasons why I believe Chinese-Malaysians are racist.

This is for you to ponder!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_qcQWSNepM

Last edited by masterof_none; 27-02-2009 at 04:27 PM.
masterof_none is offline   Reply With Quote
youngyew Male
ReCom Addict
Administrator

#177 Old 27-02-2009 Default Re: Reasons why I believe Chinese-Malaysians are racist.

" This is for you to ponder!" = ?

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
youngyew is offline   Reply With Quote
Thirdshifter
Super Moderator
Forum Moderator

#178 Old 27-02-2009 Default Re: Reasons why I believe Chinese-Malaysians are racist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez_aspic View Post
Who is going to determine what goes into your child's head, who teaches your child, and influence the development of his character and personality?
The Parents. Parents who believes that it is school teachers responsibilities to educate their childrens should've never been one at the first place.

Quote:
So far Malaysian state education has successfully zombified kids to be 'good' citizens - i.e. obedient and compliant to the status quo. Sure, they can do some math and are taught to read, but discouraged from challenging what they read. This problem is less acute among Chinese schools i.m.o. - Chinese Indept High & Perak ones are definitely rebel strongholds
On what are you basing this claim? I think it is quite the contrary. Be it from a national school or not, Malaysians in general are very opinionated and have very strongs one to. Maybe it is their delieverance that are lacking but nonetheless I wouldn't say they are a zombifed bunch walking around being obiedient citizens. You must be talking about singaporeans.

Quote:
Soon this unification idea can be extended to having one religion, one belief, one political party... in the name of unity, of course.
Thats never gonna happen.

Quote:
btw how many people here would patronize a Japanese restaurant with an Indian sushi chef + Burmese waiters?
Here in the states, atleast 80% sushi joints are ran by non-japanese. Approx. 90% of Pizza joints are ran by non-Italians or Americans. It comes to a certain point where the popularity of an idea no longer belongs to only a group of people. I'm sure the british would agree when they claim they make the best curries.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Idea that education should be strealined is a good one but it doesn't change anything right now.

There are more ways and those that can be used for a short term solution. Calling these employers might not be the bestest of ideas but it is one.

Writing to publications who allow such ad is also an important step.

Just because it is not illegal, it doesnt make it right. Papers even used to have slaves for sale published and condoned in the 1800s, untill someone spoke out against it.

We cannot let this go on. It has been going on to long.
Super Moderator
Forum Moderator

#179 Old 27-02-2009 Default Re: Reasons why I believe Chinese-Malaysians are racist.

Seriously, I don't think the main cause of racism comes from the national type school. The main source is still mass media (politics) and parents. And guess what? Most racism in school happens in SMK, where there is only one stream of school left (apart from chinese independent schools, which is just small percentage among Malaysian secondary school).

From my experience with chinese primary school, I've never been taught of discriminating against other races, instead we were explained of the culture of other races, since being in chinese primary schools means we have little chance to come in contact with other races. But again, why there are racist chinese? They get it from the society, mostly...

Miracles happen everyday

Last edited by Miracle_seed; 27-02-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Miracle_seed is offline   Reply With Quote
bluez_aspic
Slightly Senior Member

#180 Old 01-03-2009 Default Re: Reasons why I believe Chinese-Malaysians are racist.

Quote:
The Parents. Parents who believes that it is school teachers responsibilities to educate their childrens should've never been one at the first place.
I fully agree with you - but you'd be flogging a dead horse if you're suggesting that the sort of schooling to which kids are subjected doesn't really matter. Especially acute under a state education system which is 'streamlined' (i.e. Orwellian double-speak for 'vast uniformity'), and doesn't provide any choice.

Quote:
On what are you basing this claim? I think it is quite the contrary. Be it from a national school or not, Malaysians in general are very opinionated and have very strongs one to. Maybe it is their delieverance that are lacking but nonetheless I wouldn't say they are a zombifed bunch walking around being obiedient citizens. You must be talking about singaporeans.
Actually, all state education systems seek to impose a certain paradigm on the people they educate - there's vast homogeneity i.m.o. even in the 'liberal' West which supposedly cherishes individuality and diversity of experience. We're probably more alike than we'd like to believe.

But I've met Chinese (from national schools, KL urbanites too) who swallow hook, line, and sinker for government propaganda - they wholeheartedly believe that reality is as described in the M'sian textbooks, and ignorant of the systematic racism existing on all levels. It's scary. But 'zombification' is an overgeneralization; I apologize and take it back - thankfully people get their education from other sources.

Quote:
Thats never gonna happen.
I think it's unlikely too, but again you're taking me out of context.

My point is that there's a distinction between: (i) bringing together different individuals, and allowing them to interact & understand one another; v.s. (ii) trying to homogenize everyone, making everyone think & speak the same.

One is genuine unity - different elements covalently bonding with one another; the other is an artificial form of unity, achieved only through the stamping out of individuality - i.e. collectivism.

Quote:
Here in the states, atleast 80% sushi joints are ran by non-japanese. Approx. 90% of Pizza joints are ran by non-Italians or Americans. It comes to a certain point where the popularity of an idea no longer belongs to only a group of people. I'm sure the british would agree when they claim they make the best curries.
I won't dispute your statistics - but I've lived long enough in different parts of the West to know that you're painting a fraudulent picture with these figures.

Most sushi joints are run by yellow-skins (Chinese, Japanese - but you kicked the Chinese out of your figures); Caucasian/Indian sushi joints rarely survive for long. It's definitely less of an issue if you're targeting the lower-end of the market - likewise for the average pizza joints, take-aways, neighbourhood fish n' chip shop etc. But consumers at the high-end of the market are more fastidious - e.g. I've never observed a Caucasian waiter in a Japanese fine-dining restaurant.

I prefer Asian girls, so I have no qualms with that

In fact, I've never encountered anyone in these countries who has complained about such arrangements. Why bother whining, when there are so many other opportunities?

As for the Malaysian scene... last I went back, restaurants which tried to replace their cooks with Burmese ones were heavily 'punished' by consumers (even popular ones couldn't leverage on their reputation). Some of them stopped employing Burmese waiters too - but I duly apologize for not having the statistical figures (because I'm not prepared to invent any).

But a lot of restaurants are employing Burmese workers these days - it's as if these employers adopt a covert Burmese-only employment criteria. Why isn't the racial composition of their workers reflective of the demographics? (same for the MNCs) Like dude, seriously. I mean, these towkays are even willing to sideline their own races - travesty!

I suggest you bring this up in the mainstream press too

And those fashion billboards & advertisements which are decorated with Ang-Moh models... sometimes even modeling local brands too. Is there really a dearth of beautiful people in our country? This reeks of the old colonial formula, you know - as if having an Ang-Moh face allows a brand to be more real, more international, more beautiful.

Or is colonialism still deeply ingrained within us?

Do clothes make a man?

But, like it or not, people make judgments based on superficial criteria. I don't claim to be above that.

However, you're always welcome to wager on your beliefs - and open a Japanese restaurant with Indian chefs & Burmese waiters. I wish you success in your endeavour

But I should really stop loitering before the gates of humbug heaven.

Last edited by bluez_aspic; 04-03-2009 at 03:47 PM.
bluez_aspic is offline   Reply With Quote