ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Debates

Debates Nothing senseless here. Argue your points and stands here.

Should Malaysia ban smoking?

youngyew Male
ReCom Addict
Administrator

#151 Old 04-05-2009 Default Re: Should Malaysia ban smoking?

A link that explains this:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_second_...han_first_hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyz_Zoo View Post
Still an adult regular smoker and a children who is a passive smokers. Which one has higher risk?

"Some of the most serious damage inflicted by passive smoking is done to children during their formative years. As you would expect, a child's bronchial tubes are smaller and their immune systems are less developed making them more susceptible to the harmful effects of passive smoking. Because their airways are smaller, children breathe faster than adults and, consequently, they actually breathe in comparatively more of the harmful chemicals in the smoke, based on their body weight, than adults do. Few parents who smoke would continue to do so if they knew the potential harm that they were doing to their children. Young children, by necessity, spend a lot of time at home and maternal smoking is one of the major sources of passive smoking because of the child's close proximity to their parents during early childhood."
taken from http://www.stopsmokingtoday.com/dync...e_Smoking.html
Of course you don't compare an adult smoker with a child passive smoker. You should compare a child smoker and a child passive smoker. The smoking kid himself would get far more harm - and that has been what I was trying to point out.

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!

Last edited by youngyew; 04-05-2009 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
youngyew is offline   Reply With Quote
Boyz_Zoo Male
Lord of Spams 2009
Wiki Contributor

#152 Old 04-05-2009 Default Re: Should Malaysia ban smoking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngyew View Post
A link that explains this:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_second_...han_first_hand
Of course you don't compare an adult smoker with a child passive smoker. You should compare a child smoker and a child passive smoker.
Normally, kids don't smoke due to the over 18 rules imposed on them by the government. So, the percentage of kids smoking is quite low compared to non-smokers.

#153 Old 04-05-2009 Default Re: Should Malaysia ban smoking?

hrm ,im not a smoker, but i don think smoking should be ban, i know few of u had argue bout this but cigar still one source of our countrys income,
restricting d area to smoke is one way to reduce d pasive smoker problem
u ppl talking bout smoking, y not talking bout car n motor? bad effect on health too, if smoking really should be ban, dont u think malaysian family should be restricted to one or two car only? depending on family size...
ReCom Addict
Administrator

#154 Old 04-05-2009 Default Re: Should Malaysia ban smoking?

Quote:
Normally, kids don't smoke due to the over 18 rules imposed on them by the government. So, the percentage of kids smoking is quite low compared to non-smokers.
Pooled random effects (odds ratios) for respiratory symptoms in children associated with parental smoking
Either parent smokes One parent smokes Both parents smoke OR 95 percent CI N OR 95 percent CI N OR 95 percent CI N Asthma 1.23 (1.14 to 1.33) (31) 1.01 (0.84 to 1.22) (7) 1.42 (1.30 to 1.56) (10) Wheeze 1.26 (1.20 to 1.33) (45) 1.18 (1.10 to 1.26) (13) 1.41 (1.23 to 1.63) (14) Cough 1.35 (1.27 to 1.43) (39) 1.27 (1.14 to 1.41) (1 1.64 (1.48 to 1.81) (1 Phlegm 1.35 (1.30 to 1.41) (10) 1.24 (1.10 to 1.39) (7) 1.42 (1.19 to 1.70) (6) Breathlessness 1.31 (1.14 to 1.50) (6)
Note: Number of studies in parentheses.
Excluding EC study, in which the pooled odds ratio was 1.20.
Data for phlegm and breathlessness restricted as several comparisons are based on fewer than five studies.
Adapted from USDHHS 2006, The Surgeon General's Report.

(sorry for the random number above, will elaborate on that later)

Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!

Last edited by youngyew; 04-05-2009 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Boyz_Zoo Male
Lord of Spams 2009
Wiki Contributor

#155 Old 04-05-2009 Default Re: Should Malaysia ban smoking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid View Post
hrm ,im not a smoker, but i don think smoking should be ban, i know few of u had argue bout this but cigar still one source of our countrys income,
u ppl talking bout smoking, y not talking bout car n motor? bad effect on health too, if smoking really should be ban, dont u think malaysian family should be restricted to one or two car only? depending on family size...
First of all, I believe our country can find other source of income.
Restricting area is good but I think it still not enough.
You must what is a necessity or what is one. Without smoking, our daily activities can still go on. But car plays an important to move around especially for businessman though there is the Internet.
I agree with you that car causes pollution and many things, so we should think of finding new ways to create environmental-friendly car. Not banning it totally.

#156 Old 04-05-2009 Default Re: Should Malaysia ban smoking?

Quote:
First of all, I believe our country can find other source of income.
Restricting area is good but I think it still not enough.
You must what is a necessity or what is one. Without smoking, our daily activities can still go on. But car plays an important to move around especially for businessman though there is the Internet.
I agree with you that car causes pollution and many things, so we should think of finding new ways to create environmental-friendly car. Not banning it totally.
how bout this, smoking will be restricted to few place, i mean very few, like 1 special place for them in 1kmx1km? this way will encourage ppl to stop smoking, cigar can still be source of income, no passive smokers will be harm, afterall, ppl can choose either wan to die or not,
ReCom Addict
Administrator

#157 Old 04-05-2009 Default Re: Should Malaysia ban smoking?

We all know that banning smoking is good for everything; but the fact remains that politically and socially this is simply impossible to implement now that the smoking habit is already deeply ingrained in the whole society.

Boyz_Zoo Male
Lord of Spams 2009
Wiki Contributor

#158 Old 04-05-2009 Default Re: Should Malaysia ban smoking?

Quote:
how bout this, smoking will be restricted to few place, i mean very few, like 1 special place for them in 1kmx1km? this way will encourage ppl to stop smoking, cigar can still be source of income, no passive smokers will be harm, afterall, ppl can choose either wan to die or not,
Define the few places. People still smoke at mamak store, bus stops, ceramah and many other busy places. Plus, even if you put restriction, do you think they will obey?
I know that Health Minister said that heavier fine will be imposed, but who are the person who going saman them? The police? Do you think they will be at everywhere to catch them? They themselves already busy controlling political party supporters, illegal demonstration, by-elections, and many things else. This things will probably will be overlooked.

Quote:
We all know that banning smoking is good for everything; but the fact remains that politically and socially this is simply impossible to implement now that the smoking habit is already deeply ingrained in the whole society.
Yes, I agree with you. Banning smoking very hard to be implemented but not impossible. We all have to try to make a difference. It is time that justice prevail. If Singapore is able to ban chewing gum though it is a very small and people look at that ban as a trivial thing, still chewing gum is efficiently banned at there. "when there is a will, there is a way".

Last edited by Boyz_Zoo; 04-05-2009 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Boyz_Zoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Zeroth

#159 Old 04-05-2009 Default Re: Should Malaysia ban smoking?

Quote:
Looks like that's going to change in the next few years. Smoking rates are dropping as more and more people are educated about the adverse effects. Soon smokers will have stigma stuck on their head and they will feel more uncomfortable smoking in public places. Better interventions are also accessible to the general population. Plus, more and more places are now banned from smoking.

There's nothing short of shooting yourself that's dumber than smoking. Many people think all the bad things you see in the ads won't affect you. Guess what, it does. Just saw a woman with to totally messed up long due to smoking.

Quote:
Good point, but the simple answer to that is that smoking is a luxury, cars are in a way a necessity. However it doesn't mean we shouldn't persue ways to reduce car pollutions such as new technologies and improving public transport.

As i said earlier, income generated from cigarettes does not overcome the loss of productivity and health care costs associated with smoking.

Last edited by Zeroth; 04-05-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Zeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
castle Male
Slightly Senior Member

#160 Old 04-05-2009 Default Re: Should Malaysia ban smoking?

i wonder if any of you people rambling about smoking are actually smokers...only a smoker can understand a smoker.smoking is a necessity for smokers.without cigarettes they will drown...literally...what if someone asks you to stop breathing?thats how smokers will feel if smoking is banned.