ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education

Education This is the place where we would discuss anything about education issues!!!

Earth Hour - How Does it Help Young Generations..

xellos Male
Slightly Senior Member

#1 Old 27-03-2009 Default Earth Hour - How Does it Help Young Generations..

Well, a simple educational debate.
We all know the earth hour is around the corner, in fact less than 24 hours.

So, my start-up questions.

1. In what context earth hour help inculcate the awareness of global warming among the young generation?

2. What you think of Malaysian government cooperation with WWF?

3. There is a scientific fact, where it says switching on a light bulb requires more energy compared to a already on light bulb. So, how this sudden surge of power demand at 9.30pm going to counter-effect the carbon emission?

Feel free to post other questions.

#2 Old 27-03-2009 Default Re: Earth Hour - How Does it Help Young Generations..

parents should show an example to the children..not just respond the Earth Hour for fun but to save electricity everyday..
youngyew Male
ReCom Addict
Administrator

#3 Old 27-03-2009 Default Re: Earth Hour - How Does it Help Young Generations..

Quote:
Originally Posted by xellos View Post
3. There is a scientific fact, where it says switching on a light bulb requires more energy compared to a already on light bulb. So, how this sudden surge of power demand at 9.30pm going to counter-effect the carbon emission?
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...-leave-them-on

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=...you-leave-room

http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/consume.../mytopic=12280

These are good reading with regards to this issue. To summarise these articles, for fluorescent light, if you were to leave a room for more than 15 minutes, it is better to turn it off than to leave it on. But for incandescent bulbs, turn it off whenever you can. But practically if you have incandescent bulbs, the REAL energy saving method is to change it to energy-saving bulbs

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!

Last edited by youngyew; 27-03-2009 at 10:30 PM.
youngyew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to youngyew For This Useful Post:
markwongsk Male
Developer

#4 Old 27-03-2009 Default Re: Earth Hour - How Does it Help Young Generations..

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngyew View Post
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...-leave-them-on

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=...you-leave-room

http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/consume.../mytopic=12280

These are good reading with regards to this issue. To summarise these articles, for fluorescent light, if you were to leave a room for more than 15 minutes, it is better to turn it off than to leave it on. But for incandescent bulbs, turn it off whenever you can. But practically if you have incandescent bulbs, the REAL energy saving method is to change it to energy-saving bulbs
What about the inevitable celebration bound to occur at 9:30 pm? Some wasting money on fireworks? Is Earth Hour just another "period of celebration" How many will really look into the depths of the 3600 seconds spent in darkness? How many will be contemplating our actions on the environment? How many will be just counting to the end of the hour??
markwongsk is offline   Reply With Quote
senksiang90 Male

#5 Old 27-03-2009 Default Re: Earth Hour - How Does it Help Young Generations..

Obviously for all the talks and everything, Earth Hour will still be a failure if we end up switching off our lights and everything for 1 hour but after that still using electricity for the following 24 hours-telling urself its alrite to do so as u have saved 1 hour of electricity. However, of course I'm totally with this programme.. but I was thinking.. what will i be doing for that hour.. Sleep???
ReCom Addict
Administrator

#6 Old 27-03-2009 Default Re: Earth Hour - How Does it Help Young Generations..

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwongsk View Post
What about the inevitable celebration bound to occur at 9:30 pm? Some wasting money on fireworks? Is Earth Hour just another "period of celebration" How many will really look into the depths of the 3600 seconds spent in darkness? How many will be contemplating our actions on the environment? How many will be just counting to the end of the hour??
I agree that Sydney's celebration with fireworks is ridiculous.

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
youngyew is offline   Reply With Quote
xellos Male
Slightly Senior Member

#7 Old 27-03-2009 Default Re: Earth Hour - How Does it Help Young Generations..

Quote:
Originally Posted by senksiang90 View Post
Obviously for all the talks and everything, Earth Hour will still be a failure if we end up switching off our lights and everything for 1 hour but after that still using electricity for the following 24 hours-telling urself its alrite to do so as u have saved 1 hour of electricity. However, of course I'm totally with this programme.. but I was thinking.. what will i be doing for that hour.. Sleep???
Senksiang only know to sleep.

#8 Old 27-03-2009 Default Re: Earth Hour - How Does it Help Young Generations..

Quote:
Originally Posted by xellos View Post
Senksiang only know to sleep.
what else can i do in the dark? Play hide and seek?

#9 Old 27-03-2009 Default Re: Earth Hour - How Does it Help Young Generations..

Quote:
Originally Posted by senksiang90 View Post
what else can i do in the dark? Play hide and seek?
No, you should sleep. By doing so, you actually help in reducing carbon dioxide emission (reduced respiration)...

#10 Old 27-03-2009 Default Re: Earth Hour - How Does it Help Young Generations..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al-Bert View Post
No, you should sleep. By doing so, you actually help in reducing carbon dioxide emission (reduced respiration)...
LOL well... if u insist... bt mayb-most probably i'll be hanging around.. Heard that Sunway Pyramid is celebrating Earth Hour though.. I really salute them man..