ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Debates

Debates Nothing senseless here. Argue your points and stands here.

The Quality of PILN / PIDN result 2011.

View Poll Results: How is the Quality of PILN/PIDN result 2011?
Satisfying. Supportive towards the Public Service Department's stand. 6 7.14%
Satisfying. Yet a little doubtful if there are other more ideal approaches to make ends meet.. 9 10.71%
Neutral stand. I don't know anything about this. 6 7.14%
Not satisfying. There are other ways to make this scholarship parallel to colour-blind policy. 23 27.38%
Not satisfying. They MUST consider approaches to address the appeals, ignorance is not acceptable. 21 25.00%
TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE! The scholars list MUST be abolished and another list should be published. 19 22.62%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Nicholas92 Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#51 Old 19-05-2011 Default Re: The Quality of PILN / PIDN result 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbyte13 View Post
Stop thinking our government scholarships this year are like gold ingots, they are half the value it should be for those who really really deserved it, meaning low income, extremely good koko, academically superior, representative of the country. Who can't fund themselves in Matriculation ? Government is just tossing out the leftover balances of UPU and Matriculation to many of us, seemingly to fulfill the promise of all 8A+ getting scholarships. BTW, Kijang Emas is only for the VERY VERY FEW TOP SPM SCORERS OF THE COUNTRY + ALL THE CRITERIA I JUST MENTIONED. means, it's close to impossible to get one, unless you are already acknowledged as THE BEST. then, isn't it the government's social obligation to help those second bests and beyond who truly need it ? Don't give the lemonade and lemons analogy, it's getting friggin annoying. Government is throwing durians at these people, asking them to make orange juice.
I disagree.

Government scholarships are not a given right. Paying tax does not entitle people to scholarships for their kids - what it does entitle them to is the scholarships being fairly distributed (which isn't being done, that I agree to). But even if Matric for instance isn't what you really want, it is STILL an offer to finance your studies - whether or not it's a more fancy expensive course isn't the point. So grumbling about not getting what you wanted isn't the best thing to do, especially when it's better than nothing at all.

Remember, yes, that some people definitely deserve better. But even in purely meritocratic systems, there are losers. There is no hard-and-fast cut-off point, for instance, for Oxbridge potentials. It's not a case of admitting everyone who meets a certain standard. The standard is the prerequisite. The rest is a game of numbers. If you wanna talk about how many people deserve to get into Oxbridge each year, the answer is: many. Probably hundreds of thousands out of billions in the world. But spaces are limited. So sad as the reality is, some people just won't make it - they may be just a hair's distance behind but no offer is no offer.

Making the best of it is the best thing for now. What do people gain from wallowing in self-pity and rage over their situation? Channel the energy into effecting change, perhaps, and learning in the meanwhile to live with their situation - you might as well make the best of it and try to be at peace with things for all it's worth, because even in your righteous anger, what's so nice about being in misery? Again, I'm not discounting the pain of a lot of people, some of whom need (as in, financially) scholarships a lot more. But it's not the end of the world. No.
Nicholas92 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nicholas92 For This Useful Post:
AlternateF4 Male

#52 Old 19-05-2011 Default Re: The Quality of PILN / PIDN result 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerav View Post
Maybe i got on some nerves, the thing i was trying to point out is the ugly side of the coin and make any opportunity good or bad to be more beneficial.
Giving people what they don't deserve isn't quite beneficial just so you know. It's like, if you are a boy, i give you a dress; and if you are a girl, i give you some briefs. Don't tell me that you can give them away, because we can't exchange scholarships.
AlternateF4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Cerav Male
Less Junior Member

#53 Old 19-05-2011 Default Re: The Quality of PILN / PIDN result 2011.

Quote:
Quote an example of people who have done that, in our country alone !
One very good example may not be related to scholarship but the corporate world.

Take Tony Fernandes and his Airasia company, its not a national airline and a was shunned by airports during its early business days but due to terrific effort, marketing and advertising it soared.

By shunned i mean they wouldn't entertain him, you can read all about it in Forbes Asia. It talks about GLC a lot and the Malaysian economic policy.
Cerav is offline   Reply With Quote
Nicholas92 Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#54 Old 19-05-2011 Default Re: The Quality of PILN / PIDN result 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlternateF4 View Post
If you were saying that I've been getting angry, I'm not, fyi. I'm a very mild tempered person, you just can't see my facial expression right now. And yes, you made a very important point of why we are debating in the first place. We are fighting for a better system and to take the correct sides. But you are wrong when you say that we just blow up and start blaming people. We are not blaming when it's obviously their(whoever who is responsible in assigning the scholarships to the right students) fault. And by addressing the problem on the internet, a media, we can create awareness to the people. The people will then know which government to vote out during the next election. Besides that, the politicians, if they still want their seats in the parliament, will do something to help rectify the situation, fight for the people's rights.

oh and btw, I don't really care about getting the JPA scholarship, in fact i didn't appeal, cry or whatever for not getting it.
If you thought I was referring to you...sorry? Because honestly I wasn't. I was being pre-emptive because year after year it's normal to see someone burst online and hurl accusations because they feel wronged. I didn't get the feel that you were blowing up or anything, merely passionate about the topic so I didn't have a problem. Just wanted to get it out there so people reading all of this will (hopefully) choose not to launch into an all-out attack against...most other people? I suppose.

Yeah anyway so no offence I hope?
Cactus Male

#55 Old 19-05-2011 Default Re: The Quality of PILN / PIDN result 2011.

So what if life is unfair? Doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to make the system fairer for everybody.

And JPA scholarship is not a private company scholarship. The government is using tax payer's money, and as the citizens of this country we have the rights and responsibilities to know how the scholarships are distributed.

Surely people need to whine/be angry a little if they want to improve "the system" (e.g. education, selection criteria bla bla bla)

I'm not saying that just because less "nons" get the scholarship so the goverment is corrupt (which it probably is anyway), but all blatant racial prejudice exhibited in this thread can be reduced to a minimum level if the public were afforded more transparency and clarity in the selection process and criteria.
Cactus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cactus For This Useful Post:
idunnoy Male
Super Junior Member

#56 Old 19-05-2011 Default Re: The Quality of PILN / PIDN result 2011.

Quote:
Stop thinking our government scholarships this year are like gold ingots, they are half the value it should be for those who really really deserved it, meaning low income, extremely good koko, academically superior, representative of the country. Who can't fund themselves in Matriculation ? Government is just tossing out the leftover balances of UPU and Matriculation to many of us, seemingly to fulfill the promise of all 8A+ getting scholarships. BTW, Kijang Emas is only for the VERY VERY FEW TOP SPM SCORERS OF THE COUNTRY + ALL THE CRITERIA I JUST MENTIONED. means, it's close to impossible to get one, unless you are already acknowledged as THE BEST. then, isn't it the government's social obligation to help those second bests and beyond who truly need it ? Don't give the lemonade and lemons analogy, it's getting friggin annoying. Government is throwing durians at these people, asking them to make orange juice.
Who can't fund themselves in matriculation? Do some research, there many poor ppl out there who can't afford education. From what you said, i don't see anybody who has EXTREMELY good koko or academically SUPERIOR and didn't get the scholarship. U think a 8A+ student is academically SUPERIOR? There are so many ppl out there putting thier parents salaries less than RM1000, if their parents income is really so low, do u really think they can afford Matriculation? Whether u get the country u want or the course u want, it's up to JPA. If u think u demand better quality education, why don't u pay urself? If u dont have money, then just accept the offer whether it's Matriculation or UPU. If u dont get the scholarship at all, then easy said, u simply don't qualify.
idunnoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idunnoy For This Useful Post:
Cerav Male
Less Junior Member

#57 Old 19-05-2011 Default Re: The Quality of PILN / PIDN result 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlternateF4 View Post
Giving people what they don't deserve isn't quite beneficial just so you know. It's like, if you are a boy, i give you a dress; and if you are a girl, i give you some briefs. Don't tell me that you can give them away, because we can't exchange scholarships.
I didn't day you can't appeal. If you can appeal, by all means appeal.

The thing is that what happens if you can't appeal.
Cerav is offline   Reply With Quote
Nicholas92 Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#58 Old 19-05-2011 Default Re: The Quality of PILN / PIDN result 2011.

@Cactus Yeah as to that, I agree. All it would take is transparency, democracy...

But life's not fair, and by accepting it you get less hurt by the things that go wrong for you. It's not to say that you shouldn't try and better it, but that you shouldn't let it get to you too much if it doesn't work out.
AlternateF4 Male

#59 Old 19-05-2011 Default Re: The Quality of PILN / PIDN result 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas92 View Post
I disagree.

Government scholarships are not a given right. Paying tax does not entitle people to scholarships for their kids - what it does entitle them to is the scholarships being fairly distributed (which isn't being done, that I agree to). But even if Matric for instance isn't what you really want, it is STILL an offer to finance your studies - whether or not it's a more fancy expensive course isn't the point. So grumbling about not getting what you wanted isn't the best thing to do, especially when it's better than nothing at all.

Remember, yes, that some people definitely deserve better. But even in purely meritocratic systems, there are losers. There is no hard-and-fast cut-off point, for instance, for Oxbridge potentials. It's not a case of admitting everyone who meets a certain standard. The standard is the prerequisite. The rest is a game of numbers. If you wanna talk about how many people deserve to get into Oxbridge each year, the answer is: many. Probably hundreds of thousands out of billions in the world. But spaces are limited. So sad as the reality is, some people just won't make it - they may be just a hair's distance behind but no offer is no offer.

Making the best of it is the best thing for now. What do people gain from wallowing in self-pity and rage over their situation? Channel the energy into effecting change, perhaps, and learning in the meanwhile to live with their situation - you might as well make the best of it and try to be at peace with things for all it's worth, because even in your righteous anger, what's so nice about being in misery? Again, I'm not discounting the pain of a lot of people, some of whom need (as in, financially) scholarships a lot more. But it's not the end of the world. No.
You are just partially agreeing, isn't that not much difference from "indifference"? What's wrong is wrong. We should be fighting for it. We have been suppressed, it's naturally normal for us to fight for it.

Stop telling me the lemonade story in another context. I'm not fighting for JPA anymore, but just to let you know, I hope that the younger generations can get it, fairly. What we teenagers can do for now? CREATE AWARENESS ON THE INTERNET OF COURSE.
AlternateF4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Cactus Male

#60 Old 19-05-2011 Default Re: The Quality of PILN / PIDN result 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas92 View Post
@Cactus Yeah as to that, I agree. All it would take is transparency, democracy...

But life's not fair, and by accepting it you get less hurt by the things that go wrong for you. It's not to say that you shouldn't try and better it, but that you shouldn't let it get to you too much if it doesn't work out.
Life is randomly unfair. But now the government appears to be systematically unfair.

I admit that life is unfair in a sense. I recognise it, but not necessarily agree that it is a condition that can't be improved.

----------------
edit: Nicholas -- ooh, I didn't realize that you were replying to me. Hence the tone of this post feels a bit out >.<

Last edited by Cactus; 20-05-2011 at 12:03 AM.
Cactus is offline   Reply With Quote