ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Debates

Debates Nothing senseless here. Argue your points and stands here.

The Quality of PILN / PIDN result 2011.

View Poll Results: How is the Quality of PILN/PIDN result 2011?
Satisfying. Supportive towards the Public Service Department's stand. 6 7.14%
Satisfying. Yet a little doubtful if there are other more ideal approaches to make ends meet.. 9 10.71%
Neutral stand. I don't know anything about this. 6 7.14%
Not satisfying. There are other ways to make this scholarship parallel to colour-blind policy. 23 27.38%
Not satisfying. They MUST consider approaches to address the appeals, ignorance is not acceptable. 21 25.00%
TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE! The scholars list MUST be abolished and another list should be published. 19 22.62%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Nicholas92 Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#71 Old 20-05-2011 Default Re: The Quality of PILN / PIDN result 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
I think I can agree to that.

(Just that I find it particularly annoying when people start saying "life's unfair. just accept it." Seems to imply some sort of inaction.)
Ahhh I totally get that. Yeah, that would be 'complacency' rather than 'acceptance' haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlternateF4 View Post
I didn't appeal. I didn't appeal because I am aware that many many many of my other friends who are even deserving than I am didn't get the scholarship.
I got 7A+, 2A, 1A-. My parents' income is just middle class, my mom's a government servant. I have several brothers and sisters. My co-cu? I have took part in an international competition and have been awarded co-cu awards by the school, including the "sportsman" title. AND YES, ALL THAT AND I FEEL MANY OF MY FRIENDS DESERVE IT MORE THAN I DO. That's how bad the system is. Just for you to understand my feelings better.
That sucks man. I mean we've heard similar stories every year but it still sucks. People slip through the cracks of the system, and it's a shame.

That's why the system's gotta go. The scholarships are too focused on As, to focused on quotas, and not giving enough consideration to holistic education and transparency.
Nicholas92 is offline   Reply With Quote
AlternateF4 Male

#72 Old 20-05-2011 Default Re: The Quality of PILN / PIDN result 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerav View Post
As in literally no scholarship or she didn't apply?
Literally no scholarship. There's many other cases that people with 9A+ or 10A+ get the Matriculation as their scholarship. All that have been mentioned have good co-cu results.
AlternateF4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AlternateF4 For This Useful Post:
Cerav Male
Less Junior Member

#73 Old 20-05-2011 Default Re: The Quality of PILN / PIDN result 2011.

Quote:
Literally no scholarship. There's many other cases that people with 9A+ or 10A+ get the Matriculation as their scholarship. All that have been mentioned have good co-cu results.
Than that person should at least voice out. Lets help her, did she appeal?
Cerav is offline   Reply With Quote
AlternateF4 Male

#74 Old 20-05-2011 Default Re: The Quality of PILN / PIDN result 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas92 View Post
Ahhh I totally get that. Yeah, that would be 'complacency' rather than 'acceptance' haha.

That sucks man. I mean we've heard similar stories every year but it still sucks. People slip through the cracks of the system, and it's a shame.

That's why the system's gotta go. The scholarships are too focused on As, to focused on quotas, and not giving enough consideration to holistic education and transparency.
That's why i truly believe that we, the youths should unite, and once and for all, terminate the old system. We might be young, brash and inexperienced, but when we come together, our forces cannot be denied. And I enjoy letting the people of malaysia know, that it is time to come together and throw out the old system out.
Nicholas92 Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#75 Old 20-05-2011 Default Re: The Quality of PILN / PIDN result 2011.

Ironically enough, it's things like the scholarships which make this struggle more difficult - supposedly 'deserving' students take it, run away, and default. Money spent, no returns. Now THAT is sad.

That said though, I believe that a constant rate of increase in Internet penetration + more political gaffes by the government almost ensure they'll be toppled one day...the question is why. Better to make it sooner rather than later.
Nicholas92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Cactus Male

#76 Old 20-05-2011 Default Re: The Quality of PILN / PIDN result 2011.

Quote:
I think they should not try to appear "holistic" in the selection process.

Face it: there is (practically) no holistic education in our public education system.

It's disgusting to see students trying so hard to get As because our system demands it, and then denied a scholarship because they are not "holistic" enough. (And those 5, 6 A+s get the scholarship >.<)

Meritocracy suffers when u try to be holistic without giving some guidelines.
Cactus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cactus For This Useful Post:
AlternateF4 Male

#77 Old 20-05-2011 Default Re: The Quality of PILN / PIDN result 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerav View Post
Than that person should at least voice out. Lets help her, did she appeal?
She appealed. Her case quite sad, but hard to help also. BM didn't get A. BUT WHAT SHIZ. The BM/PM subject didn't get A is another issue to be mentioned about. Do you know that every SPM exam centre have a different bell-graph to determine the grades of a student? This, meaning that the people from rural areas need only to score a lower mark to get an A, whereas, the more competitive urban area students need to score an outrageously high mark to get an A. Not only that, this implementation of the bell graph is discreetly used by the gov, which means they can just do whatever they like to CONTROL THE NUMBER OF APPLICANTS THAT ARE ELIGIBLE FOR THE SCHOLARSHIP.

You might doubt that, but fyi, she is the top in her class(my school's a cluster school), always amongst the top scorers for her school BM examinations, get A+ for CHINESE and 9 other subjects, get B+ for BM...?
Cerav Male
Less Junior Member

#78 Old 20-05-2011 Default Re: The Quality of PILN / PIDN result 2011.

Quote:
Ironically enough, it's things like the scholarships which make this struggle more difficult - supposedly 'deserving' students take it, run away, and default. Money spent, no returns. Now THAT is sad.

That said though, I believe that a constant rate of increase in Internet penetration + more political gaffes by the government almost ensure they'll be toppled one day...the question is why. Better to make it sooner rather than later.
The other sad part is no matter how noble our justifications are if the realpolitic behind everything is not changed. We are just going to be like the wolf trying to blow a brick house in the three little pigs.

So how can we change the reapolitic?
Cerav is offline   Reply With Quote
ayjiahui Female
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor
ReMag Writer

#79 Old 20-05-2011 Default Re: The Quality of PILN / PIDN result 2011.

OK i know the hype has kind died down but i just had to post this!!

You know this whole deal with scholarships and JPA right, it really needs to be revamped. You know here's a thought you MIGHT want to consider. Unlike many other countries, our government is actually VERY generous. The fact that even under economical strains (that have come about due to.... ahem.. reasons that I won't bother elaborating) they are giving out scholarships to people who do not deserve them = people who take scholarships, go abroad and settle down permanently abroad, breaking the bond they had with the government in the first place. In fact, I think that the government is far too generous with scholarships.

Also, affirmative action policies are always necessary because it really really does help a country in the long run. HENCE, JPA should have come up with separate scholarships -- need-based and merit-based. Then all of you compete on different levels.... But I'm not the government but well...

So, seriously, suck it up. Admissions, the process of giving out scholarships are sometimes quite arbitrary. Sometimes, it is very difficult to pinpoint why a person got a scholarship or not. Grades alone don't always justify the need to receive a scholarship. Even if there was more transparency within the system, like what Nicholas92 mentioned, it eventually becomes a game of numbers.

And boohoo if you feel victimized by the system zzzzz

OK conclusion: guys so next time you know what to do when you turn 21 okay. ^^ and seriously, JPA isn't all that hyped up as it's made out to be. turn to other things!!! expand your boundaries! soul-search!!!!! besides, i'm sure if you're all capable people, opportunities will come knocking your door when the time strikes. take it from someone who's been rejected across the board. hehehe.

Quote:
She appealed. Her case quite sad, but hard to help also. BM didn't get A. BUT WHAT SHIZ. The BM/PM subject didn't get A is another issue to be mentioned about. Do you know that every SPM exam centre have a different bell-graph to determine the grades of a student? This, meaning that the people from rural areas need only to score a lower mark to get an A, whereas, the more competitive urban area students need to score an outrageously high mark to get an A. Not only that, this implementation of the bell graph is discreetly used by the gov, which means they can just do whatever they like to CONTROL THE NUMBER OF APPLICANTS THAT ARE ELIGIBLE FOR THE SCHOLARSHIP.

You might doubt that, but fyi, she is the top in her class(my school's a cluster school), always amongst the top scorers for her school BM examinations, get A+ for CHINESE and 9 other subjects, get B+ for BM...?
aiya, in every country they have the bell control thingy. it's sad but true.

Nobody will ever win the Battle of the Sexes. There's just too much fraternizing with the enemy.
~Henry Kissinger

(looking for people to parler franšais! PM me!)

Last edited by ayjiahui; 20-05-2011 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
ayjiahui is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ayjiahui For This Useful Post:
AlternateF4 Male

#80 Old 20-05-2011 Default Re: The Quality of PILN / PIDN result 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
I think they should not try to appear "holistic" in the selection process.

Face it: there is (practically) no holistic education in our public education system.

It's disgusting to see students trying so hard to get As because our system demands it, and then denied a scholarship because they are not "holistic" enough. (And those 5, 6 A+s get the scholarship >.<)

Meritocracy suffers when u try to be holistic without giving some guidelines.
There are guidelines for Co-cu for the JPA scholarship. But the guidelines are always "rahsia" and never to be revealed, just so that they can give marks according to their fancy.