ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Debates

Debates Nothing senseless here. Argue your points and stands here.

The Quality of PILN / PIDN result 2011.

View Poll Results: How is the Quality of PILN/PIDN result 2011?
Satisfying. Supportive towards the Public Service Department's stand. 6 7.14%
Satisfying. Yet a little doubtful if there are other more ideal approaches to make ends meet.. 9 10.71%
Neutral stand. I don't know anything about this. 6 7.14%
Not satisfying. There are other ways to make this scholarship parallel to colour-blind policy. 23 27.38%
Not satisfying. They MUST consider approaches to address the appeals, ignorance is not acceptable. 21 25.00%
TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE! The scholars list MUST be abolished and another list should be published. 19 22.62%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Cactus Male

#91 Old 20-05-2011 Default Re: The Quality of PILN / PIDN result 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlternateF4 View Post
This is the worst thing that will happen to us non-bumis. The JPA scholarship is the only scholarship given by the gov for us non-bumis, whereas bumis still have the MARA scholarship. If they abolish JPA, bumis still have MARA. And do you know? The total number of MARA scholarship exceeds the total number of JPA scholarship. That's like, sucking all of the non-bumi's money, and giving them out to the bumis.
oops. Didn't see that.

So lo....what's wrong with demanding a little bit of transparency and meritocracy when the government is still giving out scholarships...(or rather, when the people still wants the government to give out scholarships.)

So what the government is "generous", it's our money anyway.
In fact, not only ours, but also those (whether socio-economically disadvantaged or not) whose children probably don't stand a chance to get a scholarship from the government.

Not like we'd die without a scholarship. Just annoyed by how the scholarships are being distributed.
Cactus is offline   Reply With Quote
AlternateF4 Male

#92 Old 20-05-2011 Default Re: The Quality of PILN / PIDN result 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas92 View Post
Ahh I wouldn't advocate ditching the country just because the government (important distinction) didn't give you a scholarship.

Yet another problem with long-serving governments; they get confused with the state. Gov't =/= state. Malaysia is still a beautiful country with plenty to offer. The government sucks. The government influences the country but the country is more than just the executive and legislative branch. It encompasses all of us, the citizens, too. Ditching Malaysia means ditching its people as well (but I do understand how some people just have to leave the country...but I never like it when it's solely because of the government. But that's reality.)

I'm loyal to my country. A lot. Not so much with the government (read: almost not at all).

Interesting points raised though. Yes, we are ridiculously generous with scholarships. In fact I'm in support of abolishing the PILN and focusing on building up our local institutions. And also yes, other countries with fewer scholarships have less expensive education. Trade-off either way. What's right? I'd say the other states present a better model. Less expensive local education + fewer overseas scholarships means we have more of our brightest populating our local unis.
I am loyal to Malaysia too. Very loyal in fact. If I am not loyal, i wouldn't give a damn about this country and have fled long ago. Yes i totally agree with building local institutions. Did you know that UM was once one of the top U's in the world? But implementations of the quota system and unjust selection of students has deteriorated the quality of education in local institutions. So, it boils back down to the people who implements the system, the government. So, ultimately, we youths, should start realising the truth about the Malaysian GOV, and take actions by voting them out.
AlternateF4 is offline   Reply With Quote
ayjiahui Female
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor
ReMag Writer

#93 Old 20-05-2011 Default Re: The Quality of PILN / PIDN result 2011.

Quote:
Yes she dropped the idea of getting a JPA scholarship, and hoped for the best through A levels. But seriously, it's the government's loss for not having her as a scholar. She's now less loyal to Malaysia, less thankful to the government. If i were her, i would just diss Malaysia and go to another country(considering how hard she worked for the scholarship, just to get rejected).
It's funny how she derives her loyalty by the providence of a scholarship. Country non egale government, my friend!

Nobody will ever win the Battle of the Sexes. There's just too much fraternizing with the enemy.
~Henry Kissinger

(looking for people to parler franšais! PM me!)
ayjiahui is offline   Reply With Quote
Young Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#94 Old 20-05-2011 Default Re: The Quality of PILN / PIDN result 2011.

Quote:
Don't be fooled. The taxes we pay should be enough to secure us places in tertiary education. The politicians swallowed the money up. Our parents pay 30% of our pay to the gov each year. Say if you earn 100k per annum, 30k goes to the gov every year. Parents work 18 years (since you are 18 years old when you apply), parents already contributed 540k of taxes to the gov.
Yes, and 100% of our tax money goes into education now, doesn't it? Defence budgets, public amenities, healthcare, civil workforce salary, infrastructural costs, etc all fall from the sky now, am I right?

#95 Old 20-05-2011 Default Re: The Quality of PILN / PIDN result 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayjiahui View Post
It's funny how she derives her loyalty by the providence of a scholarship. Country non egale government, my friend!
err....I think the underlying reason is fair treatment la.

But then...yea, some people might feel entitled to some scholarships. (Not saying that the future medical student is like that.)
Cactus is offline   Reply With Quote
AlternateF4 Male

#96 Old 20-05-2011 Default Re: The Quality of PILN / PIDN result 2011.

Yes i know that not all of our parent's taxes goes to tertiary education. But with the amount paid by our parents, and of course richer parents, i believe the gov has the capability to give tertiary education to MORE deserving people. Just imagine Malaysia without private colleges. I bet most of us won't even get tertiary education, correct me if i am wrong.
ayjiahui Female
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor
ReMag Writer

#97 Old 20-05-2011 Default Re: The Quality of PILN / PIDN result 2011.

Quote:
I am loyal to Malaysia too. Very loyal in fact. If I am not loyal, i wouldn't give a damn about this country and have fled long ago. Yes i totally agree with building local institutions. Did you know that UM was once one of the top U's in the world? But implementations of the quota system and unjust selection of students has deteriorated the quality of education in local institutions. So, it boils back down to the people who implements the system, the government. So, ultimately, we youths, should start realising the truth about the Malaysian GOV, and take actions by voting them out.
Yaaa.. I also know UM was top 10 in the world like decades ago. So don't complain about JPA la haiyo. Nothing you can do about the government yet mahhh. Kaotim the politics then only settle education la.

Nobody will ever win the Battle of the Sexes. There's just too much fraternizing with the enemy.
~Henry Kissinger

AlternateF4 Male

#98 Old 20-05-2011 Default Re: The Quality of PILN / PIDN result 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young View Post
Yes, and 100% of our tax money goes into education now, doesn't it? Defence budgets, public amenities, healthcare, civil workforce salary, infrastructural costs, etc all fall from the sky now, am I right?
Yes, and menteri's son who drive lamborghini's to private colleges and stay in EXTRAVAGANTLY LARGE MANSIONS also fall from the sky.
ayjiahui Female
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor
ReMag Writer

#99 Old 20-05-2011 Default Re: The Quality of PILN / PIDN result 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
err....I think the underlying reason is fair treatment la.

But then...yea, some people might feel entitled to some scholarships. (Not saying that the future medical student is like that.)
Like I said. Government and country aren't the same thing. And if one small hiccup in life like this deters your 'loyalty', even if the government were more fair and more transparent... you'd turn less loyal anyway. No?

~Henry Kissinger

Young Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#100 Old 20-05-2011 Default Re: The Quality of PILN / PIDN result 2011.

Quote:
Yes i know that not all of our parent's taxes goes to tertiary education. But with the amount paid by our parents, and of course richer parents, i believe the gov has the capability to give tertiary education to MORE deserving people. Just imagine Malaysia without private colleges. I bet most of us won't even get tertiary education, correct me if i am wrong.
You cannot take private institutions out of the equation. They are there for a reason: they fill a social and economical need. Demand is the main driver of the private education industry in Malaysia. If you want to pluck establishments out of countries at whim, you might as well remove the entire healthcare system and half the education system in the USA, since they're mostly private.

Also, did you know that our taxation rates are one of the lowest in the world? If I'm not mistaken, our highest income tax bracket is only 26-30% yet we're able to provide (almost) free education and healthcare for all citizens. Do you have any idea how amazing that is? Australia's highest tax bracket is 50%, and they can barely sustain their semi-welfare state. If you really want everything to be as perfect and perky as you play it out in your idealized conception of Malaysia, why not increase our taxes to 50% too? How would you like that?