ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education

Education This is the place where we would discuss anything about education issues!!!

How to cope with depression?

CJin
Less Junior Member

#1 Old 17-07-2006 Default How to cope with depression?

As stated in the above....any ideas?

BTW how do you create new topics without reading a thread 1st
CJin is offline   Reply With Quote
Ic3b3rg

#2 Old 17-07-2006 Default

exercise. see a doctor. eat medication.
iQing

#3 Old 17-07-2006 Default

imagine being 3rd person or non participant person for a moment and then imagine depressing issues becoming black and white, darkening and shrinking until it is no more an issue

hope this helps
Dr_Tay

#4 Old 17-07-2006 Default

Exercise, eat healthily and get enough sleep. If these don't work see a psychologist or psychiatrist via your GP. You may need to balance your hormones that are swimming around in your head with antidepressants. But this should only be done with the help of your GP who will prescribe a good psychiatrist for you. Search for the Mental Health Association of Malaysia using a search engine and you may get the correct answers.
Dr_Tay is offline   Reply With Quote
CurbsideProphet
Less Junior Member

#5 Old 18-07-2006 Default

I personally would like to see some people sharing experiences about coping with close relations that undergo depression, whether clinical or not.

If you find yourself in a really bad condition, the first thing you should always do is to count to 10, and remember all the things you enjoy in life that you tend to forget during that duration. Remind yourself that the world is what you make of it, and you can think of it much better. Same goes for yourself.

If you find yourself close with someone experiencing depression, all I can say is hold on, keep a clear head, remember that your suffering is nothing compared to theirs, be compassionate but don't over do it as this sometimes makes someone dependent on said compassion, treat them normally as possible and if they are willing to talk about it, talk about it <-- talking helps only when they are comfy with talking about it.

This isn't very scientific or concrete - just my 2 cents. Of course you should always, always consult a psychiatrist (if you don't like the first one you see, don't forget the whole thing entirely, find another one. there is sure to be a suitable psychiatrist for you somewhere) and don't be ashamed of admitting to having depression - it is more common than you think.
CurbsideProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
kevinkent

#6 Old 18-07-2006 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iQing
imagine being 3rd person or non participant person for a moment and then imagine depressing issues becoming black and white, darkening and shrinking until it is no more an issue

hope this helps
That's so...err... hmm... abstract larrrr....

I prefer this:
Find some time... with your whole bunch of friends.... then talk craps....silly but it works for me tho....
kevinkent is offline   Reply With Quote
iQing

#7 Old 18-07-2006 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkent
Quote:
Originally Posted by iQing

hope this helps
That's so...err... hmm... abstract larrrr....

I prefer this:
Find some time... with your whole bunch of friends.... then talk craps....silly but it works for me tho....

I am not joking dude
it is a part of NLP treatment
Sillyboy Male
Slightly Senior Member

#8 Old 21-07-2006 Default

Eat....it works for me....
Sillyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
sunshine88
Slightly Senior Member

#9 Old 23-07-2006 Default

Yeah..i agree with Sillyboy....When i'm depressed i eat too..It's like that.I once read in a magazine,one will crave for food when he's depressed.If there's nothing tasty to eat,i'll watch tv...helps a little.
But dun alwayz eat...Of course try be a social creature.Sometimes when u're depressed u'll lock urself in the room..or appear reserved when u're with other ppl.These can make situation worse.When u communicate with family and frens,u'll find relieve from the 'jammed' mind of yours.Forget about the stuff which bother's u so much for a while...In the end u wun feel anxious and u'll be confident that there's a solution.Dun think it as a problem at all.
If u're shy to seek treatment then share ur problems with someone u like and that can be trusted.U can also post ur problem to the Big Bro or Dear Thelma in the Star.I'm not promoting...it's up to u....
Of course this won't work for cronic cases....U have to seek help from the experts.I dunno what sort and name of treatment they'll give but surely there will be pills u have to swallow.
sunshine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Salvation

#10 Old 23-07-2006 Default

Talk to friends, talk to strangers, go out in the sun shine, walk around the park and so on. Don't keep yourself alone, as many here have pointed out.
Salvation is offline   Reply With Quote