ReCom.org
Malaysia Today Discussion about issues related to Malaysian politics and economy.

Lets do this!

Thirdshifter
Super Moderator
Forum Moderator

#1 Old 20-02-2017 Default Lets do this!

Hey guys!

Been a long time, slightly disappointed that the forum is dead. In the off chance you feel a little bit nostalgic about this forum or want to revilatize this place.

Lets get it rolling again!
Administrator
Administrator

#2 Old 01-03-2017 Default Re: Lets do this!

Hi Thirdshifter.

Wow, it's a been more than a decade!

Pretty much after everyone graduates and get a job, they frequent less and less of this forum and naturally it dies.

But the site is still alive ;). Welcome back.
castle Male
Slightly Senior Member

#3 Old 24-03-2017 Default Re: Lets do this!

I was here for a little bit but I couldn't get to the site a few weeks ago. Thought it was taken out in the server. I even migrated to lowyat to do my training log. How you guys doing? How's life?

#4 Old 03-05-2017 Default Re: Lets do this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdshifter View Post
Hey guys!

Been a long time, slightly disappointed that the forum is dead. In the off chance you feel a little bit nostalgic about this forum or want to revilatize this place.

Lets get it rolling again!
Yeah, I'm surprised by how dead Recom has become, even for the Scholarships section. I wonder what happened?

I have fond memories of this place...
johnconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
masterof_none
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Old 23-05-2017 Default Re: Lets do this!

Sorry guys ... it's been a while.
There are a couple of things....

1. Migration failure
This is by far the largest contributor to ReCom's unpopularity. We did some migration to a new forum system that proved to be fatal. My original intention is actually to support the FB login. That was back in 2013 i think. Anyway, once we migrated to VB version 4, nobody really likes the interface. We try to migrate to another supposedly cool forum system based on Ruby. This is even worse. I don't want to think about it.

2. Core members disappearing
Well... life caught on. Some get married, get a job, having life.

3. Competition from Whatsapp and FB.
Last few years, really, nobody cares much about our Forum because we have FB and Whatsapp. I guess i still love the old school way of communication. Forum!

4. Members outgrown
ReCom sets up as student board. Some of us now have grown beard. So there's a disjoint there. People are disappearing because most of the topics didn't concern them much anymore.

5. Funds issue
Throughout failure of getting hits, we technically running out of money to run ReCom. So I have to migrate ReCom to my own VPS server which was almost discontinued at some point. But now i'm fine.

6. Technical issue
I'm the only one looks after the technical side like backups, etc. Currently, i'm troubleshooting email issue, which takes forever because I can only do it at my free time. Still trying to dedicate some time to ReCom.

I know some of you guys still visiting!

So thanks. Keep on ReComming!
castle Male
Slightly Senior Member

#6 Old 04-10-2017 Default Re: Lets do this!

Hey, yo, where are you guys?