ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education > Scholarships

Scholarships A place to find out about scholarships available for Malaysians

Singapore Scholarship for Academic Year 2011/2012

Johnivan Male

#41 Old 25-03-2011 Default Re: Singapore Scholarship for Academic Year 2011/2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugan View Post
my suggestion is just follow the instruction given.
Yeah, if it is written, then better follow. Sorry I can't remember the details on the form...

Quote:
Originally Posted by libraaa View Post
Alright. One more question, application form fill in with hand 4 times and endorse it 4 times OR fill in 1 time and endorse 1 time then fotostate it 3 sets which will make it 4 sets in total?
To save your time, fill in everything but not the signature and passport photo. Then photocopy another 3 copies and sign and glue your photo there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya View Post
LOL. now i finally know that one is the endorsement we've been talking about.. i thought it's something to be completed by them after we sent it and we should leave that empty -.-

hahaha.. okay.. then may i know on the last page, the (Designation), what should my teacher write on it?

p/s: the principal of my school has retired.. what are the other officers can i ask to endorse it?
I seriously don't know who in school has the right to sign it other than the principal. Please don't ask a TEACHER to endorse it! Ask the new principal, if not Jabatan Pelajaran or something... I went all the way to Putrajaya to sign because I followed the instructions that it was to be signed by the government.

A few links worth checking out:
My Life Story
Further Mathematics T Blog (2003-2011 Syllabus)

Last edited by Johnivan; 25-03-2011 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Johnivan is offline   Reply With Quote
libraaa Female
Less Junior Member

#42 Old 25-03-2011 Default Re: Singapore Scholarship for Academic Year 2011/2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugan View Post
do we have to write our name on the cover of the letter when we submit our application?
hm what letter? do you mean you did a cover letter? ..

for the 5 choices of universities, is it disadvantage to write "NUS" instead of "National University of Singapore"?

coz I think its easier and faster to read if its written as NUS, NTU, SMU rather than the full name.. :X

Quote:
LOL. now i finally know that one is the endorsement we've been talking about.. i thought it's something to be completed by them after we sent it and we should leave that empty -.-

hahaha.. okay.. then may i know on the last page, the (Designation), what should my teacher write on it?

p/s: the principal of my school has retired.. what are the other officers can i ask to endorse it?
yeah either the new principal or if the new principal hasnt come, then maybe the senior assistant for form 6 will do, I think. if you're at west malaysia, and if you still have time, maybe go to the JPA and get them endorse like what Johnivan did..

designation, i think thats the post of the person who endorse your documents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnivan View Post
Yeah, if it is written, then better follow. Sorry I can't remember the details on the form...

To save your time, fill in everything but not the signature and passport photo. Then photocopy another 3 copies and sign and glue your photo there.
It's alright. Thanks for your advices i guess i still have time to fill in all four forms by hand.

can i submit a list of content page by listing down what are the contents of a set of documents i submit? something like below:

Application Form
Essay
SPM Transcript
SPM Translated
STPM Transcript
STPM Translated
Form 5 School Leaving Certificate
and so on

Last edited by libraaa; 25-03-2011 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
libraaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Johnivan Male

#43 Old 26-03-2011 Default Re: Singapore Scholarship for Academic Year 2011/2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by libraaa View Post
hm what letter? do you mean you did a cover letter? ..

for the 5 choices of universities, is it disadvantage to write "NUS" instead of "National University of Singapore"?

can i submit a list of content page by listing down what are the contents of a set of documents i submit? something like below:

Application Form
Essay
SPM Transcript
SPM Translated
STPM Transcript
STPM Translated
Form 5 School Leaving Certificate
and so on
Just write NUS. Don't waste their time either.

I was encouraged to do that too. But the advice came a bit late...

My Life Story
Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya Male
Less Junior Member

#44 Old 27-03-2011 Default Re: Singapore Scholarship for Academic Year 2011/2012

hm i was wondering if jpa can certify my certs too? :O

coz if im to go down there to get endorsement i might as well get my certs certified there too
Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Johnivan Male

#45 Old 29-03-2011 Default Re: Singapore Scholarship for Academic Year 2011/2012

Quote:
hm i was wondering if jpa can certify my certs too? :O

coz if im to go down there to get endorsement i might as well get my certs certified there too
I would suggest that you don't ask JPA to certify your certs. Last year some of us encountered problems because they said they will only endorse the last page for us, but not the certs. But just in case you want to go to JPA or Singapore High Comm, here's what I wrote the other time:

"OK, let me begin:

1. Going to endorse your application form at JPA
I took a night train from Kluang to KL Sentral and reached there at 6.30am. I took LRT to Pasar Seni station (RM1). When I come down from the station, there are many buses there, look for the one which says "E1 - Pasar Seni-Putrajaya Sentral" (RM3.80). Then I reached Putrajaya at 8am.

You can either drop off at Presint 9 bus stand or go straight to the Putrajaya Sentral (The Bus Station). Then, take the bus which says "Kompleks Kerajaan ABCDE" or I think should be numbered 38. When you pass by Kompleks Kerajaan E, you know you are somewhere there. Drop down at the next stand (D&C), and walk to Kompleks Kerajaan C. Find Block C1 (behind the 1st building). Get a pass card at the Information counter. Now look for this person at Aras 3:
Pn Hasaliza Asikin
Asst Director in Service Training Unit II
03-88853555
Don't be like me: I went to Aras 5, then Aras 10, then Aras 6 before I get to the right place...

OK, let her check through your documents, then she'll chop and sign for you.

Leaving the building, just take any bus. They will all arrive Putrajaya Sentral anyway (RM0.50)... Now again, take the E1 bus back to Pasar Seni. You can go back home if you want to...

2. Hand in the Application Form to the Singapore High Commission (since you are somewhere there anyway...)
Next, take the LRT to Ampang Park. Get down from the station, you would be able to see a McDonald's in front of you. Go along the road opposite to where you are facing. You should be able to see Hotel Nikko, PNB Darby Park and Porsche on your left (I assume you are walking...). Then turn left when you reach a crossroad, which has the Carpark entrance of KLCC on your right (yes, at the crossroad itself...). It should be the 2nd crossroad I think...

You are almost there. Oval Kuala Lumpur should be on your right, and The Avare on your right. the building just after the Avare is the Singapore High Commission. Go in there (it looks like a cage, by the way...), let the guards check you for any harmful weapons, then proceed to the counter to submit your form.

Then, either have fun in KLCC or go back home.

Hope that helps. I just handed everything in today. "

My Life Story
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnivan For This Useful Post:
Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya Male
Less Junior Member

#46 Old 31-03-2011 Default Re: Singapore Scholarship for Academic Year 2011/2012

For the essay part, it says "on a subject of personal importance to you", what does this exactly mean?

Can i use the essay i used for NTU application? It's "the values and beliefs you hold strongly to. Please provide examples of how you have demonstrated these in your actions."

I wonder if this can be categorized as a subject of "personal importance to me"?
sugan Male

#47 Old 31-03-2011 Default Re: Singapore Scholarship for Academic Year 2011/2012

it is also written there 'any topic ' of your personal importants
________
Kid Zoloft

Last edited by sugan; 14-09-2011 at 05:02 PM.
sugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Johnivan Male

#48 Old 02-04-2011 Default Re: Singapore Scholarship for Academic Year 2011/2012

Quote:
For the essay part, it says "on a subject of personal importance to you", what does this exactly mean?

Can i use the essay i used for NTU application? It's "the values and beliefs you hold strongly to. Please provide examples of how you have demonstrated these in your actions."

I wonder if this can be categorized as a subject of "personal importance to me"?
Within that few hundred words, what do you want to tell the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Singapore to make them think that you are a suitable candidate? Try think of something that you can convince them that you are the one to be chosen.

Extra info for you guys:
Amount of SS Scholars studying in NUS 2010/2011:
5 Vietnamese
3 Indonesians
3 Malaysians
2 Bruneian
1 Philipino
1 Cambodian
1 Burmese
1 Thai
1 Lao

There are 18 of us in NUS, and we literally formed a gang of friends to hang out with. It's quite cool when others see 18 people of 9 countries hanging around at the BBQ pit...

My Life Story
Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya Male
Less Junior Member

#49 Old 02-04-2011 Default Re: Singapore Scholarship for Academic Year 2011/2012

I went to JPA yesterday, went to Aras 3 but they said aras 3 is for postgraduate and asked me to go Aras 5. So i went to Aras 5 and the woman say they no longer do endorsement for singapore scholarship and told me to go to Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

But it was kinda late that time (4.30pm+), by the time i reached Ministry of Foreign Affairs the guy at the guardhouse tell me endorsement is to be made at the counter and counter is closed at 4pm.

In the end i got NOTHING endorsed and came to to Terengganu because my family had to come back yesterday. Just how hateable are government's departments.
mandarinoriental Female
Super Junior Member

#50 Old 02-04-2011 Default Re: Singapore Scholarship for Academic Year 2011/2012

hello, i have just applied to NTU and at the same time applied for the scholarships available (nanyang scholarship, college scholarship and the ASEAN scholarship) but the scholarships will only be awarded if you are accepted into the university. my application outcome will only be known once i submit my actual A-levels results (which will be out in aug 2011). since the shortlisting of scholarship applicants will be done before that, do i stand a chance at the scholarship? becos i wouldn't even know if i have been accepted by NTU yet. :S
mandarinoriental is offline   Reply With Quote